Closed Thread

Old
08-04-2012, 01:52 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Fletcher was afraid of walking into the season without Burns signing an extension (Gaborik was fresh on his mind). Not only that but Burns was traded earlier in the offseason when we could gauge the draft pick coming back.

As well, it sped up the rebuild process a lot quicker, so Fletcher jumped at the opportunity.

Minnesota will need to open a few spots open, so I could see some guys dumped.
Fletcher doesn't come across as a guy who signs all these players to contracts, to then just give away willy-nilly to get contract space. He works with more purpose than that. He can see just as well as anyone how close this team is coming now, and will work to shore up weak spots.

Old
08-04-2012, 03:54 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Fletcher doesn't come across as a guy who signs all these players to contracts, to then just give away willy-nilly to get contract space. He works with more purpose than that. He can see just as well as anyone how close this team is coming now, and will work to shore up weak spots.
He has commented on the fact he likes to have a bit of room to work with. I have no idea what he's planning but he's pretty tight up against the contracts.

Old
08-04-2012, 04:22 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

it also sounded as though he expects to have to juggle some players from the last Russo update.

Old
08-04-2012, 04:29 PM
nickschultzfan

Clutterbuck makes sense because of his value but also his replace-ability.

Bouchard has zero trade value. Cullen has low trade value but it liked in the locker room. Setoguchi's trade value is at a low point, and he should improve this year. Heatley won't get equal value make. Brodziak could be moved if a team was offering a lot, but he's got a lot of internal value too.

Old
08-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Jopsey

If we trade Clutterbuck I will be pissed

Old
08-04-2012, 04:43 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopsey View Post
If we trade Clutterbuck I will be pissed
Why?

IMO, the most overrated and overvalued player on the team....

Old
08-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Jopsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Why?

IMO, the most overrated and overvalued player on the team....
Seriously? 3 years in a row the NHL hits leader, has a good shot, hustles every shift..

Old
08-04-2012, 04:51 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
I can't seriously see Clutterbuck leaving until his contract expires. The guy is a fan favorite, and is one of the most valuable 3rd line agitators in the NHL; he's also a leader on and off the ice, and our prospect pool is stacked.

Maybe we trade Cal for a pick if he wants too much money in 2013-2014, but right now seems like a bad time. Plus, we have plenty of other expendable players right now.

Gonna say it's one of either Prosser, Falk, or Stoner.
There is no way he will be walking in July. No way. Not with his value. He'll either be re-signed or traded. I'm leaning towards trade. The Wild could package him with someone to get something nice or a strong pick in return. Let him walk for free, and we'll start taking steps back again. And I can't see Fletch allowing that.

Old
08-04-2012, 04:51 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
it also sounded as though Russo expects to have to juggle some players from the last Russo update but Fletcher doesn't think he'll do anything at least until camp is over.
FTFY
x

Old
08-04-2012, 05:03 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
FTFY
x
i appreciate you fixing it, but i still think it was Fletcher who expected player juggling.
Quote:
Fletcher: "If everyone plays to their level of expectations or even exceeds it or if everyone's healthy, then yeah, we're going to have a lot of players and that may make sense. But it just never happens that way. You always have a couple guys that play better than expected. There's always a couple guys that don't come into camp in shape or get hurt right away or don't play well for whatever reason. It happens every year. So, the good thing is this year I think we're protected against that possibility with the depth that we have. I've never been to a camp where everything went according to plan. That's why I keep saying, let it just sort itself out. I hope there's not a lot of injuries, but there always seems to be something. Somebody will overachieve but a couple guys may underachieve. Let's make our decisions based on what happens as opposed to what we think we'll see.
yes, of course not until camp but what of it? sounds like the plan is to not plan for anything until camp because you don't know what is going to happen (injuries, specific player efforts) but he's expecting some over-achievers. I'm sure he isn't talking about the established players there so it leads me to believe he is expecting to have to move someone.

Old
08-04-2012, 05:08 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
i appreciate you fixing it, but i still think it was Fletcher who expected player juggling.

yes, of course not until camp but what of it? sounds like the plan is to not plan for anything until camp because you don't know what is going to happen (injuries, specific player efforts) but he's expecting some over-achievers. I'm sure he isn't talking about the established players there so it leads me to believe he is expecting to have to move someone.
That's desperately reaching to try come to the same unfounded conclusion Russo did. From your own quote:

Quote:
If everyone plays to their level of expectations or even exceeds it or if everyone's healthy, then yeah, we're going to have a lot of players and that may make sense. But it just never happens that way.
Quote:
Let's make our decisions based on what happens as opposed to what we think we'll see.
Even the part you bolded doesn't strongly imply anything other than "after camp we might consider it, but right now we're not touching anything." In fact, from Fletcher earlier in the article:

Quote:
Just let things play out. Let's just see where we're at before we start making moves.
He's very explicit that he will not be making any moves before camp is over. And just the final nail in the coffin:

Quote:
Fletcher says he literally has nothing going right now in terms of trade talk with other teams.

Edit to add: When's the last time a trade has actually occurred after camp but before the season? Trades in October and November are almost unheard of. Things sometimes start to open up in December, but those are still extremely rare. The players we go into camp with will be the players we come out of it with outside of promotions/demotions/waiver claims.

Old
08-04-2012, 05:13 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Seriously? 3 years in a row the NHL hits leader, has a good shot, hustles every shift..
Absolutely does not have a good shot. He does hustle and hit, but I still would like to him and his contract moved for a draft pick or prospect. He's VERY replaceable.

Old
08-04-2012, 05:29 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
That's desperately reaching to try come to the same unfounded conclusion Russo did. From your own quote:

Even the part you bolded doesn't strongly imply anything other than "after camp we might consider it, but right now we're not touching anything." In fact, from Fletcher earlier in the article:

He's very explicit that he will not be making any moves before camp is over. And just the final nail in the coffin:

Edit to add: When's the last time a trade has actually occurred after camp but before the season? Trades in October and November are almost unheard of. Things sometimes start to open up in December, but those are still extremely rare. The players we go into camp with will be the players we come out of it with outside of promotions/demotions/waiver claims.
it's not reaching--it's an opinion based on a quote. And yes I realize what he said the rest of the statement and all together it spelled out: No plans until after camp. That said he mentioned both injuries and unexpected performances a couple times each with regards to what he expects from every camp.
We haven't gone into a camp ever with a starting roster OR prospect field this strong with our ***** this far up against the roster limit so I don't believe anything in the past is comparable. I don't know if you have the idea i think a trade is imminent but I don't...I agree nothing is likely to happen until after camp.

And I think trades are likely only because he'd rather get something for a displaced NHL roster guy than risk waivers, but that's been hashed out in another thread. I don't think he HAS to trade anyone considering the final spot is earmarked for Brodin.

Old
08-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Jopsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Absolutely does not have a good shot. He does hustle and hit, but I still would like to him and his contract moved for a draft pick or prospect. He's VERY replaceable.
I'm just saying he's great to have on the 3rd line, it's hard to find players with his kind of physicality. And he he's coming off 19 goals in 2010-2011, 15 goals last year. That's not bad for the NHL hits leader.

Old
08-04-2012, 05:36 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
If Nystrom for Lunch doesn't count since technically it was a week into the season/salary cap technicalities, still last year - believe the Devils traded Dave Steckel to Toronto during that time.

Agree with you that trades are rare during the first part of the season as salary cap and teams figuring what they have limit partners. However, Fletcher has shown himself to be an early tinkerer with moves like Nystrom and trading for Kobasew. It's not out of the realm of possibility assuming the season starts on time.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
08-04-2012, 05:45 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
I'm just saying he's great to have on the 3rd line, it's hard to find players with his kind of physicality. And he he's coming off 19 goals in 2010-2011, 15 goals last year. That's not bad for the NHL hits leader.

Which I think is his absolute ceiling and why it's probably best to trade him now.

Old
08-04-2012, 10:56 PM
nickschultzfan

Clutterbuck is a lot like carmelo Anthony. Yes, he is a good player who creates offense and excitement. However he requires so many touches score and he steals a lot ofoffense from his teamates because he will do his ownthing and take bad shots.

Last edited by nickschultzfan: 08-04-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old
08-04-2012, 11:38 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

The one difference between now and 12-18 months ago is that this team is reaching a place where it can actually consider trading Clutterbuck. The FA additions and prospects coming down the pipeline have made it so we have more options now. While Clutz still holds more value to us as opposed to being on a roster of a legit contender, we're no longer stuck in a situation where every guy is guaranteed a spot due to lack of depth. Internal competition is gonna rock this year!

One or two years ago, it felt as though Clutterbuck was irreplaceable. We didn't have anyone like him, and losing the guy would have hurt big time. Back then, if you asked fans who they thought were the most important players on the team, he probably would have been listed in the Top 5. Call me crazy, but when you have a 3rd or 4th liner finishing higher in importance over most of the top 6, defence, and goaltending.....well.....your team is a bit thin. That changed this past year. He has become replaceable, and deciding to move him is actually a great problem to have.

Would I mind seeing him stay? Not at all....though I want the guy from the 2010-2011 season. Wasn't the same player last year. Would I mind seeing him go? No, if that means getting something decent in return. The important thing is that we get something for him. No more letting decent pieces go for free.

Good news is, there's no rush. Fletch can wait for a good offer.

Old
08-04-2012, 11:40 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

steals a lot of offense? it's not like our third line is controlling the puck and clutterbuck ****s it up for everyone all the time. for a fanbase that yells "shoot!" as much as we do he sure gets a lot of flack for not passing the puck.

Old
08-05-2012, 12:33 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Trade Falk and hope to God he busts :p

Old
08-05-2012, 02:42 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Trade Falk and hope to God he busts :p
He's still only a 3rd pairing d-man even if he does reach his potential.

Old
08-05-2012, 02:53 AM
Timothy Freitag

Fletch might have to move a few guys if the cap goes down. If that happens, I see us moving butch and Cullen. Moving those two would drop our cap number by around 7mil.

Old
08-05-2012, 03:14 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Freitag View Post
Fletch might have to move a few guys if the cap goes down. If that happens, I see us moving butch and Cullen. Moving those two would drop our cap number by around 7mil.
Only problem with that is that Butch can't be sold right now. Teams would laugh and hang up the phone. He's going to need a few months to show that he's healthy and back to his normal self before anyone will come calling. And Cullen has a NTC, which makes it rather tricky to move him.....especially since he appears to like it here.

Old
08-05-2012, 03:15 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Freitag View Post
Won't have to, if the cap drops, it will likely come with some sort of protection for those who spent to the already agreed upon number. Then we get the space cleared next off season anyway going forward.

Old
08-05-2012, 03:20 AM
Timothy Freitag

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Won't have to, if the cap drops, it will likely come with some sort of protection for those who spent to the already agreed upon number. Then we get the space cleared next off season anyway going forward.
The last cba didn't come with any protections like that. Thats why philly had a fire sale. If the cap goes down, I hope there's something there for us to get rid of cap quickly, but I don't know.

As far as trading butch is concerned, his cap hit is the most obvious one to move, but it may require a conditional pick.

Closed Thread