Closed Thread

Old
08-05-2012, 03:23 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Freitag View Post
The last cba didn't come with any protections like that. Thats why philly had a fire sale. If the cap goes down, I hope there's something there for us to get rid of cap quickly, but I don't know.

As far as trading butch is concerned, his cap hit is the most obvious one to move, but it may require a conditional pick.
Actually, yes it did... the problem was, there were teams that were so far above they still had issues.

Last CBA came with a salary rollback for all players, which put most teams within the cap parameters. This one won't likely be such a large gap between where the top spenders salaries are sitting and where the cap is re-calculated to be.

They may not change the cap at all for this season and impliment the new cap calculation next offseason as well.

Old
08-05-2012, 03:29 AM
Kari Takko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Actually, yes it did... the problem was, there were teams that were so far above they still had issues.

Last CBA came with a salary rollback for all players, which put most teams within the cap parameters. This one won't likely be such a large gap between where the top spenders salaries are sitting and where the cap is re-calculated to be.

They may not change the cap at all for this season and impliment the new cap calculation next offseason as well.
Youre right. I completely forgot about the rollback.

I hope youre right because I want to see what this lineup can do. In an frb article, I proposed the idea of a tick down where the hrr % moved down incrementally so the cap stayed where it's at.

Old
08-05-2012, 03:32 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Freitag View Post
Youre right. I completely forgot about the rollback.

I hope youre right because I want to see what this lineup can do. In an frb article, I proposed the idea of a tick down where the hrr % moved down incrementally so the cap stayed where it's at.
That's what I hear a lot actually... the cap stays where it is, and as revenues go up over the next two years, we're right back where we are now anyway... so just keep it there for 2-3 straight years is a scenario that seems like a likely one.

Old
08-05-2012, 09:41 AM
Dee Oh Cee

Trading Bouchard would be a huge mistake for this season. There would be other contracts we could move (defensemen) that would make more sense.

Old
08-05-2012, 10:04 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Oh Cee View Post
Trading Bouchard would be a huge mistake for this season. There would be other contracts we could move (defensemen) that would make more sense.
I agree....I really want to see what Bouchard could do this year, if healthy. Before he went down with injury last season, he was on pace for close to a 50 point season (48 to be exact)....If he is healthy and contribute 50-60 points, that would be awfully nice for a 2nd line winger.

Old
08-05-2012, 10:09 AM
NH57
Habs 4 Life

What would you be willing to trade to Montreal in a package for Tomas Plekanec?

Old
08-05-2012, 10:11 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahhabib View Post
What would you be willing to trade to Montreal in a package for Tomas Plekanec?
Nothing, don't want him, don't need him.

Old
08-05-2012, 10:26 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
steals a lot of offense? it's not like our third line is controlling the puck and clutterbuck ****s it up for everyone all the time. for a fanbase that yells "shoot!" as much as we do he sure gets a lot of flack for not passing the puck.
Couldn't disagree more.

1. 3rd lines are supposed to keep the puck away from the opposing team's top lines. Easiest way to do that is to waste time controlling the puck in the offensive zone, rather than playing defense in your own zone. Streaking down the ice and taking a shot that goes high and wide, around the boards, and out of the zone, which isabout 50% of Clutterbuck's shots, is the opposite of what you want in a 3rd line.

2. Third lines go against weaker opposing defensive units, both in the Dman pairing and 1st line forwards who somethings cheat offensively. Therefore, it's easier to set-up a successful cycle if you have some 3rd liners that can do it.

3. Brodziak is the 3rd line center, who plays a fantastic puck-possession, cycle game in the O-zone. Give him two guys that can chase down pucks, cycle, and keep the puck in the offensive zone, even if they don't get a lot of quality offensive chances, and we'd have an incredibly effective 3rd line.

Old
08-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 269
Mitchell - Brodziak - Clutterbuck will be a good 3rd line.

Clutterbuck and Mitchell have decent speed to enter the offensive zone, while both Brodziak and Mitchell can play a decent puck possession, and passing game. Clutterbuck will hit everything in sight, all while potting in a few goals.

Old
08-05-2012, 10:47 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Our 3rd is top 5 in the league, it will be a big reason why we go deep in the playoffs in the future.

Old
08-05-2012, 10:48 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post

Clutterbuck and Mitchell have decent speed to enter the offensive zone, while both Brodziak and Mitchell can play a decent puck possession, and passing game. Clutterbuck will hit everything in sight, all while potting in a few goals.
Where would Cullen fit in then?

IMO, Clutterbuck fits more on the 4th line with Powe and Konopka as an energy guy.

My bottom 6 would look like:

Mitchell - Brodziak - Cullen
Powe - Konopka - Clutterbuck

Last edited by MuckOG: 08-05-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old
08-05-2012, 10:48 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Great article guys (sorry if it was already posted)...

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/164999796.html

Old
08-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:

And where does Cullen go? You can't put him on the 4th line, and if Butch is healthy, you don't take him out of a top-6 role.

Parise-Koivu-Heatley
Seto-Granlund-Butch/Cullen

That means one of a couple possibilities shake down: Either Mitchell or Clutter end up on the 4th line, or, if Clutter stays on the 3rd line, he'll likely have to play his off-wing position. He'll *NEVER* hit 20 goals playing off-wing, and he won't get the minutes to be a hits leader if he's on the 4th line.

This is the crux of why I think Clutter should be the most tradeable asset on this team. Plenty of other teams likely still see him as a 200+ hits ~20 goal winger, but with the influx of talent we've got coming, I don't see him ever getting 20 goals with us again, and he just plain shouldn't be getting the kind of ice time that will let him be #1 in hits again.

Old
08-05-2012, 02:09 PM
lostpuppysyndrome
iddqd

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Our 3rd is top 5 in the league, it will be a big reason why we go deep in the playoffs in the future.
Link? Just curious, not challenging your statement.

Old
08-05-2012, 02:15 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostpuppysyndrome View Post
Link? Just curious, not challenging your statement.
It sounded as if he was just voicing his opinion......

Old
08-05-2012, 02:19 PM
lostpuppysyndrome
iddqd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Great article guys (sorry if it was already posted)...

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/164999796.html
Nice to have Russo back!

Old
08-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashanesh View Post
And where does Cullen go? You can't put him on the 4th line, and if Butch is healthy, you don't take him out of a top-6 role.

Parise-Koivu-Heatley
Seto-Granlund-Butch/Cullen

That means one of a couple possibilities shake down: Either Mitchell or Clutter end up on the 4th line, or, if Clutter stays on the 3rd line, he'll likely have to play his off-wing position. He'll *NEVER* hit 20 goals playing off-wing, and he won't get the minutes to be a hits leader if he's on the 4th line.

This is the crux of why I think Clutter should be the most tradeable asset on this team. Plenty of other teams likely still see him as a 200+ hits ~20 goal winger, but with the influx of talent we've got coming, I don't see him ever getting 20 goals with us again, and he just plain shouldn't be getting the kind of ice time that will let him be #1 in hits again.
Damn it. You just made me dislike Matt Cullen.

Old
08-05-2012, 02:21 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Damn it. You just made me dislike Matt Cullen.
Cullen >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Clutterbuck

Old
08-05-2012, 02:31 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post

You're comparing a 3rd/4th line winger to a former 2nd line center/3rd line center.

Plus, Cullen's 11 years older than Clutterbuck! Ahh, screw it. Y'all are just trying to push my buttons.

Old
08-05-2012, 02:34 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:

You're comparing a 3rd/4th line winger to a former 2nd line center/3rd line center.

Plus, Cullen's 11 years older than Clutterbuck! Ahh, screw it. Y'all are just trying to push my buttons.
Partially....yes.

But I still think Clutterbuck is nothing more than a 4th line energy guy who can hit. No versatility to his game whatsoever....terrible hands and shot....

Old
08-05-2012, 02:35 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:

I don't think I'd have that many greater than's, personally... Cullen is a 2nd/3rd tweener (depending on the team), and Clutterbuck is a bottom-6 RW. Cullen is more versatile, but he's not all that much better. They both belong on the 3rd line if you've got a good team.

In all reality, I don't like either of them for our top-6, and they both make the most sense as our 3rd line RW at this point. The real point is, that Clutterbuck has trade value and Cullen basically can't be traded.

Let Cullen take the 3rd line RW spot and play out his contract, trade Clutter for a pick (and a contract spot) and then have that 3rd line RW spot open for a prospect when Cullen's contract is up.

Old
08-05-2012, 02:44 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

I just think Clutterbuck holds more value to the team by playing - not getting traded. He provides necessary grit, agitation, and he makes our team very hard to play against.

Old
08-05-2012, 03:52 PM
Al Lagoon

Quote:
Partially....yes.

But I still think Clutterbuck is nothing more than a 4th line energy guy who can hit. No versatility to his game whatsoever....terrible hands and shot....
That sounds more like Gillies.

Clutter has a very good shot.

Old
08-05-2012, 04:16 PM
Dee Oh Cee

I agree his shot is above average....although the problem is that it is repetitive. (always goes for the same spot.)

Old
08-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Can we ever get past the "Clutter has a good shot" thing?

He could have a good shot if: He shortened his stick, he learned to shoot somewhere other than glove high every time and he had some higher hockey IQ to be in the right place to receive passes - he thinks he's going to score on every random rush, and doesn't allow himself to be setup.

He's a grinder, if he was more than a grinder, he would've lit it up when he was pushed into a top-6 role last season. This is the same argument I've got with Seto. He had every chance to be a go-to guy on the team, and wasn't at all impressive to me (yeah, he was injured, whatever).

Closed Thread