HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Everything Scott Gomez: The Official Discussion

Old
08-01-2012, 02:48 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
The most the Habs can get out of Gomez is playing him, really. Trade wont get you anything. Sending him to the minors means you are paying $10 over 2 years for a minor leaguer, while your NHL team still sucks. Gomez isnt holding Montreal back from being a good team or from being a contender. Perhaps someone is desperate enough at the deadline to acquire an underperforming Scotty. Or, who knows, maybe he puts up 60 points, but he's not going to do that playing with status-quo 4th liners.
This. It's not like putting him on the bench is making up a good team.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 05:44 PM
j52

vCash: 500
Go Gomez, Go. No really. Go.

j52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
I can truly see Gomez putting up a 50 point season directly after leaving the Habs

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
I can truly see Gomez putting up a 50 point season directly after leaving the Habs
Yes, in Hamilton.

Rosso Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 11:08 PM
FeelsLike93

I was just thinking about this hypothetical situation.. It's preseason time, or maybe even regular season and coach Therrien wants to get Gomez going so he puts out a Pacioretty-Gomez-Cole line, because what's the worse that can happen?

But what does happen? Is Gomez so bad and a cancer to any line hes on and the line ends up horrible? Because he's playing with two hard nosed players who are constantly driving to the net and making things happen. Or with that said, the other alternative is Pacioretty and Cole are so good Gomez starts looking good and gets his confidence back and starts putting up pts.

So which situation is most likely to happen?
A) Gomez kills the 67-11-72 line
B) Gomez looks good on the line and re-establishes his confidence and gets somewhat of his mojo back

FeelsLike93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 08:29 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
He'd put up points on that line.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 09:21 AM
SnapVirus

Gomez between Pacman and Cole, would help him very much. But I dont think its the way to go. Why do you punish your best offensive center to make room for a player who made 11 pts last year... !

If you think in term of tradable asset, sure he'd be more tradeable at deadline if he could rack up 50-60ish pts. Could we try it on a short period why not?

Pacman - Gomez - Cole
Bourque - Desharnais - Gionta
Eller - Plekanec - Moen

My god, our 2nd line and 3rd line would be terrible. I think I'll stop here.

SnapVirus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
Could we try it on a short period why not?
No. I'm sick and tired of seeing the depth chart and line combos juggled around trying to find something that works for Scott Gomez. Scott Gomez should be the farthest thing from a focal point of importance for this squad from now on. I really have a hard time believing that finding a spot for Gomez in the game day roster is best for the organization and every other player in it at this point.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 10:36 AM
FeelsLike93

Id do it in pre season because we really dont have time and cant afford to lose games in the regular season rehashing the scott gomez experiment. I think you just do it in the pre season and keep it together for most of it and see what comes out of it. It wont hurt, because we know if it doesnt work that Pacioretty and Cole are gonna get paired up with Desharnais come game 1 anyway and we know the chemistry will click instantly again.

In no way do I think Gomez still has it in him nor do I still believe in him. But if there's one way he can start putting up pts, bring up his confidence level and transfer it to another line it's this way.

FeelsLike93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 10:38 AM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
No. I'm sick and tired of seeing the depth chart and line combos juggled around trying to find something that works for Scott Gomez. Scott Gomez should be the farthest thing from a focal point of importance for this squad from now on. I really have a hard time believing that finding a spot for Gomez in the game day roster is best for the organization and every other player in it at this point.
I diagree, Scott Gomez contributing to this team is better than a Scott Gomez with nothing to offer. I would give 15 games with pactches/gionta a look.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 10:40 AM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
The most the Habs can get out of Gomez is playing him, really. Trade wont get you anything. Sending him to the minors means you are paying $10 over 2 years for a minor leaguer, while your NHL team still sucks. Gomez isnt holding Montreal back from being a good team or from being a contender. Perhaps someone is desperate enough at the deadline to acquire an underperforming Scotty. Or, who knows, maybe he puts up 60 points, but he's not going to do that playing with status-quo 4th liners.
I agree 100%.

Old
08-05-2012, 12:01 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I diagree, Scott Gomez contributing to this team is better than a Scott Gomez with nothing to offer. I would give 15 games with pactches/gionta a look.
Why should the the team, especially our centers has to be "punished" just to please Gomez. So you either want Eller centering our 4th line while DD or Plekanec plays on the 3rd line. Or takes them off their natural position and put them on the wing just to give Gomez another chance?

Plekanec, Desharnais and Eller are all better than Gomez yet you want to give Gomez 1st line duty and piss off our 3 other centers who all did well last season despite our miserable season. Yeah, that sounds like a great idea. Chemistry will be great.

At this point, his salary is not even his biggest problem but where does he fit. Our top 3 centers should stay as it is. Theres no room for him in the wings of our top 2 lines. So theres only room for him in the wings of our bottom lines or centering our 4th line

Last edited by Rosso Scuderia: 08-05-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Rosso Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 12:10 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
Why should the the team, especially our centers has to be "punished" just to please Gomez. So you either want Eller centering our 4th line while DD or Plekanec plays on the 3rd line. Or takes them off their natural position and put them on the wing just to give Gomez another chance?

Plekanec, Desharnais and Eller are all better than Gomez yet you want to give Gomez 1st line duty and piss off our 3 other centers who all did well last season despite our miserable season. Yeah, that sounds like a great idea. Chemistry will be great.
I think it's nearly certain that if none of Desharnais, Plekanec, Eller are injured then Gomez will either be a winger or be the 4th line center.

However, it may be that management wants to convert one of those 3 to winger.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:

At this point, his salary is not even his biggest problem but where does he fit. Our top 3 centers should stay as it is. Theres no room for him in the wings of our top 2 lines. So theres only room for him in the wings of our bottom lines or centering our 4th line
Precisely.

Old
08-05-2012, 05:59 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

We have Plekanec, Desharnais and Eller. We don't even need Gomez to get going.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 06:20 PM
Chris G

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
We have Plekanec, Desharnais and Eller. We don't even need Gomez to get going.
Exactly, theres no place on the team for him. He doesn't have the size to be a bottom 6. Nor can he play wing worth ****, especially in the top 6. Seeing the smaller Desharnais on the third line ain't gonna happen, nor will the comparable sized Plekanec.

Just think Gomez being in the lineup is a fan boys pipe dream. Take him as a bad investment, in sport as in business there are write-offs. Gomez just happens to be a more sizable write-off and nothing other.

Chris G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 07:00 PM
Soltantgris

Could not believe some are still willing to break our only good line from last years to have a 11 pts Gomez regaining some hockey sense... Cmon ! Gomez have to figure out to have his career on the right track. He played with almost everyone, and got poor result with everyone. Poor managment to spend so much energy on someone like Gomez, and punish a promising youngster like Eller or DD.

If unable to trade him or send him to Hamilton *or KHL, you deal with Gomez almost like a rookie @training camp : he must win the rights to play in this team. On the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th, as a center or a winger, its his play that will determine it, not the crazy hope of a miracle we are waiting for a too long time.

PS: On a side note, DD will step up big time this years, book it, we just saw a little chunk of his potential.

PS: Sorry for my english, I'm from Chicoutimi, QC, not a lot of opportunities to practice. Chicoutimi like, u know, the city were DD played his junior years

Soltantgris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Gomez - Plekanec - Gionta?

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 07:43 PM
MXD

Gomez, in my opinion, HAS to win his spot.

The 1st and 2nd C spots (interchangeable as far as im concerned) are out of reach for him. And I'd say the same for the 3rd C spot (Eller is pretty good at C and sucks at W).

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Dekar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Gomez, in my opinion, HAS to win his spot.

The 1st and 2nd C spots (interchangeable as far as im concerned) are out of reach for him. And I'd say the same for the 3rd C spot (Eller is pretty good at C and sucks at W).
Thank you. Everyone, please stop putting Eller on the wing. He's too natural at C and can't transition.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 07:57 PM
Soltantgris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Gomez - Plekanec - Gionta?
Way too soft.

Soltantgris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 08:02 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekar View Post
Thank you. Everyone, please stop putting Eller on the wing. He's too natural at C and can't transition.
The organization may wish to try him out at wing for an extended period to see if it can work.

Galchenyuk may be a top-9 center in 2013-2014 and a top-2 center in 2014-2015. It's a very probable outcome, so the organization should explore its range of options.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 09:12 AM
habsfanatics

Quote:

The team wouldn't be punishing anyone. DD is good at what he does, but any team with him as a number 1 or even number 2 is in serious trouble, hence 15h place. DD should be the 3rd line exploitation center if he's going to remain at center.

Pleks is the number 1 center, both in icetime and quality of opposition, that isn't going to change, therefore he wouldn't be punished. Gomez in the 2nd line center can match up against slightly weaker competition than plekanecs and hold up fine.

The habs have a better record with Gomez than without, he helps drive possession, whether you like it or not. I'm not convinced he still isn't a top 9 center at the very least. He was coming off a terrible year into a team that was in complete disarray. Almost everyone one was struggling, he was used as a 3rd/4th line winger for a better part of the year and he's not suitable for that role. The only place he can play is either 2nd/3rd line center. I don't see him moving to the AHL or being bought out, so we have to work within the environment we're currently in.

I prefer dd on the wing anyways.

Old
08-06-2012, 09:32 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Gomez in the 2nd line center can match up against slightly weaker competition than plekanecs and hold up fine.
Actually, it's because this hasn't been the case for a couple of years that Gomez has slid down the depth chart; to the point that most of us wonder if he even merits being put in the lineup.

Gomez started off getting almost the same overall mins as Plekanec when he joined the team, saw his minutes drop significantly on the way to scoring only 7 goals and 38 points in mainly offensive roles in '10/11, and then struggled to earn 14 mins/game last year despite being given numerous chances with a variety of players; mostly offensive ones (Bourque, Plekanec, Pacioretty, Gionta, and A.Kost being among his most common linemates). I mean, somehow Gomez even averaged over 2 minutes/game on the PP last year, and even that barely helped him get over 10 points in his 38 games last year.

If you can't generate points in prime offensive situations, and are on the ice for more goals than you generate despite playing against opponents' depth players, it's not reasonable to assume that you can "match up" to, or "hold up fine" against any NHL team's secondary defensive unit.

Old
08-06-2012, 08:00 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Actually, it's because this hasn't been the case for a couple of years that Gomez has slid down the depth chart; to the point that most of us wonder if he even merits being put in the lineup.

Gomez started off getting almost the same overall mins as Plekanec when he joined the team, saw his minutes drop significantly on the way to scoring only 7 goals and 38 points in mainly offensive roles in '10/11, and then struggled to earn 14 mins/game last year despite being given numerous chances with a variety of players; mostly offensive ones (Bourque, Plekanec, Pacioretty, Gionta, and A.Kost being among his most common linemates). I mean, somehow Gomez even averaged over 2 minutes/game on the PP last year, and even that barely helped him get over 10 points in his 38 games last year.

If you can't generate points in prime offensive situations, and are on the ice for more goals than you generate despite playing against opponents' depth players, it's not reasonable to assume that you can "match up" to, or "hold up fine" against any NHL team's secondary defensive unit.
I disagree with the overall assessment of Gomez's play. He's been bad for sure, but I still think he has what it takes to play top 6 minutes. He still drives possession quite well. I think he can contribute, I don't really care what the majority thinks. Everyone here has always been what have you done for me lately types. Last year, the whole team started off poorly and coming off the down year prior everything snowballed from there, injuries ect.

DD is the one who struggles against teams top opposition (top 6 opponents) the mistake is many believe he is the number one center AINEC. He is best served on the 3rd line.

Gomez was partly misused last year, he was never a dominate pp contributor and always contributed best 5vs5. His pp average was largely because the coaching staff was terrible. Not saying Gomez didn't play a role here, however, I think people are too quick to write him off, mainly due to the salary attached.