HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks News/Notes #10

Closed Thread

Old
08-05-2012, 12:37 PM
WantonAbandon

vCash: 500
Well apparently Kurz in in an all out feud with Fear the Fin.

Kevin Kurz ‏@KKurzCSN

Hmm. Apparently I can't reply until Wednesday to some of the ridiculous comments from the (editors!) of @fearthefin. I can wait.

Old
08-05-2012, 01:05 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
Well apparently Kurz in in an all out feud with Fear the Fin.

Kevin Kurz ‏@KKurzCSN

Hmm. Apparently I can't reply until Wednesday to some of the ridiculous comments from the (editors!) of @fearthefin. I can wait.
anyone know what the fight is? the FTF twitter feed doesn't have anything that looks like it would provoke Kurz, and I don't know what the feeds for their individual staff members are.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
08-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Chaotic8
Boarding Major

vCash: 516
Apparently I missed the first shot as well.

Old
08-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
anyone know what the fight is? the FTF twitter feed doesn't have anything that looks like it would provoke Kurz, and I don't know what the feeds for their individual staff members are.
All I can figure is that FTF said we're out of the Doan sweepstakes and Kurz disagree's with a passion and can't comment. If I'm right, it makes for very interesting theories as to what Kurz can't comment on

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.

Last edited by Led Zappa: 08-05-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old
08-05-2012, 02:06 PM
NorCalJen
Oh baby! Oh mama!!

I could be wrong but I think that Kurz is referring to the comments on the actual Fear the Fin blog, not twitter. His wait would be because he just signed up for sb nation... Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.

Here are the comments that probably got Kurz worked up (midway down the page):

http://www.fearthefin.com/2012/8/3/3...rize#storyjump

Old
08-05-2012, 02:28 PM

Never pick a fight with a man who buys ink by the barrel and paper by the ton...

...probably not really appropriate here, I just like the quote.

Old
08-05-2012, 02:43 PM
do0glas

Sounds like a kurz hate fest in there

Old
08-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalJen View Post
I could be wrong but I think that Kurz is referring to the comments on the actual Fear the Fin blog, not twitter. His wait would be because he just signed up for sb nation... Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.

Makes perfect sense, which sucks 'cause we all hoped he had some inside info for once.

Old
08-05-2012, 02:50 PM
do0glas

Sounds like a lot of it is just comments about how he doesn't like advanced stats lol. Not sure which comments are from the editors.

Old
08-05-2012, 02:54 PM
Kitten Mittons

In the comments, FTF said:
Quote:
That “report” is a rehash of information with a provocative title. Same news as we’ve had for weeks – “Sharks among favorites to land Doan” is no different than “Doan interested in five teams, including San Jose”

Old
08-05-2012, 02:56 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Well, he was suggesting that the Sharks buy-out Marleau. That deserves to be hated on.

Old
08-05-2012, 02:58 PM
NorCalJen
Oh baby! Oh mama!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
Sounds like a lot of it is just comments about how he doesn't like advanced stats lol. Not sure which comments are from the editors.
Mathew Taylor is one of the editors as is "The Neutral". They both had some fairly harsh comments. Kurz needs to develop a thicker skin. I'm interested to see what his response will be.

Old
08-05-2012, 03:06 PM
do0glas

He shouldn't even be responding. He's in the media, not everyone will agree with him nor will everyone think he's credible.

Old
08-05-2012, 03:43 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:

FTF also stopped barely short on calling Kurz an idiot on twitter after his anti Marleau story a while back. A lot has to do with advanced stats though. In my opinion Kurz doesn't like FTF using them to contest his articles. FTF can have a mocking tone.
They go beyond that in the comments and basically call him hack who manufactures news to stir the pot

Last edited by WantonAbandon: 08-05-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old
08-05-2012, 03:48 PM
WantonAbandon

There was a really interesting/entertaining back and forth between FTF and two regulars from the Sharks official website board regarding Niemi. Its related to the whole advanced stats thing too. You can find it on twitter. Actually it wasn't even related to "advanced" stats but just basic save percentage.

Old
08-05-2012, 04:13 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
If I'm right, it makes for very interesting theories as to what Kurz can't comment on
Its to comment on FTF site

Fear The Fin ‏@fearthefin

@KKurzCSN Not sure I agree that I said anything ridiculous but I waived your waiting period if you want to comment before then.

Old
08-05-2012, 04:13 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Mathew Taylor is one of the editors as is "The Neutral". They both had some fairly harsh comments. Kurz needs to develop a thicker skin. I'm interested to see what his response will be.
Thought Taylor and Plank "stepped down" from FTF?

Old
08-05-2012, 04:16 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Its to comment on FTF site

Fear The Fin ‏@fearthefin

@KKurzCSN Not sure I agree that I said anything ridiculous but I waived your waiting period if you want to comment before then.
Saw that afterwards. Oh well.

Old
08-05-2012, 04:18 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Thought Taylor and Plank "stepped down" from FTF?
They did, but they still post there sometimes.

Old
08-05-2012, 04:40 PM
WantonAbandon

Kurz's response is in from FTF

Kevin Kurz ‏@KKurzCSN

Thanks to @fearthefin for allowing me to post my response early. Here it is http://www.fearthefin.com/2012/8/3/3...20#add-comment

Not bad, but my fifty cents is:

So heart and desire to win doesn't matter in baseball?

Semin's offer is comparable to the contract Hossa got from Detroit the year before making a cool 99 million on the open market.

Last edited by WantonAbandon: 08-05-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old
08-05-2012, 04:50 PM
do0glas

If those comments were as off the mark as he's claiming, I'm not sure why he bothered to respond at all lol.

Quote:

Kevin Kurz ‏@KKurzCSN

Thanks to @fearthefin for allowing me to post my response early. Here it is http://www.fearthefin.com/2012/8/3/3...20#add-comment

Old
08-05-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:

Kevin Kurz ‏@KKurzCSN

Not bad, but my fifty cents is:

So heart and desire to win doesn't matter in baseball?

Semin's offer is comparable to the contract Hossa got from Detroit the year before making a cool 99 million on the open market.
I certainly don't want to be in the position of defending a statement made by Kurz, but heart and desire doesn't help you hit a baseball, nor catch the ball, nor really anything else in the game of baseball short of standing in the batters' box and taking one for the team.

In hockey heart and desire does help you crash full speed into the other guy going full speed going after the puck. Heart and desire does help you throw your body in front a puck blasted on net at over 90MPH. Heart and desire is what makes these guys get up off the ice after being hurt, get back to the bench, and get back out there 90 seconds later and do it all over again.

Old
08-05-2012, 05:04 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
I certainly don't want to be in the position of defending a statement made by Kurz, but heart and desire doesn't help you hit a baseball, nor catch the ball, nor really anything else in the game of baseball short of standing in the batters' box and taking one for the team.

In hockey heart and desire does help you crash full speed into the other guy going full speed going after the puck. Heart and desire does help you throw your body in front a puck blasted on net at over 90MPH. Heart and desire is what makes these guys get up off the ice after being hurt, get back to the bench, and get back out there 90 seconds later and do it all over again.
What about pitching, just pitching in general? Holding onto a baseball after being slid into. Making a diving catch... There is also a lot of confidence issues that go into hitting a baseball. I could go on. Baseball players aren't androids. They are competitive too

Last edited by WantonAbandon: 08-05-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old
08-05-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
What about pitching, just pitching in general? Holding onto a baseball after being slid into. Making a diving catch... There is also a lot of confidence issues that go into hitting a baseball. I could go on. Baseball players aren't androids. They are competitive too
Yeah, not having heart certainly would make you a poor baseball player no matter how much talent you have (see: JD Drew)...but having a ton of it doesn't help you overcome a lack of talent. In hockey that's not necessarily true because there's many guys that don't have "NHL" talent that are there purely based on the heart and desire they have (see: Andrew Desjardins).

Old
08-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Secondly, Nick Petrecki – I was told by a pair of NHL scouts that see Worcester on a regular basis that he’s not close to being NHL-ready. Straight news piece. Take it however you like, but that wasn’t my opinion. It was someone else’s, and they both know a whole lot better than you or I. Of that much I’m sure. Also, no one ever used the word "failure," as you suggest, so please don’t put words in my mouth. I’m looking forward to seeing Petrecki in camp, myself.
FTF still has faith in Petrecki?

Closed Thread