HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT: Learning French in Quebec this Summer

Old
05-01-2012, 06:39 PM
Paddyjack

vCash: 500
If you want to compare Chicoutimi to something close to Vancouver, you can think about Squamish. About the same size, remotely isolated and lots of outdoor things to do.

The french language can be somewhat interesting also over there since they speak french with some colorful expressions sometimes. Just end your sentences with "law law" and you should be fine

And as other people said, go explore! Some beautiful sceneries along the fjord, and you should do the 2 hour trip and go to Quebec City.

Paddyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 06:49 PM
Le CH

Women!!

Le CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quite a good choice! You'll learn french that for sure! but while going out and meet new people, you'll be surprised at how many people can have a small conversation in english. Specially when drunk everybody seems bilingual!

The population is about 150k, it's not THAT small. Very good place to go out and meet people (mostly girls). Travelling to Quebec city for a show or something is also quite easy (Bon Jovi, The Offsprings and many others are in Québec city this summer).

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 09:21 PM
Vineon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
It's a beautiful region and nature will be the most fun thing to do around there, if you're in to more lively you might want to head to Quebec city for the summer festival and their lineup of outdoor shows including:

Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, LMFAO, Skrillex, Sarah McLachlan, Johnny Hallyday, The Offspring...
Seen better for French immersion.

I suppose old Johnny will do.

Vineon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 09:23 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineon View Post
Seen better for French immersion.

I suppose old Johnny will do.
Definitely worth the 65 bucks it costs to buy the pass. Cant wait to see Offspring!

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 09:33 PM
peate
Habs fan 4 life.

vCash: 2007
Don't forget Madonna.

peate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 09:33 PM
Vineon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Definitely worth the 65 bucks it costs to buy the pass. Cant wait to see Offspring!
It does seem like a good deal. Pretty damn good price for so many internationally known performers.

If I'd go however, it'd be solely for the atmosphere of the big crowd, certainly not because I think highly of the music of any of those top performers you just listed (ugh Bon Jovi & LMFAO).

That said, I should check the complete lineup, there's certainly a few in there I'd like to see.

Old
05-01-2012, 09:43 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
It does seem like a good deal. Pretty damn good price for so many internationally known performers.

If I'd go however, it'd be solely for the atmosphere of the big crowd, certainly not because I think highly of the music of any of those top performers you just listed (ugh Bon Jovi & LMFAO).

That said, I should check the complete lineup, there's certainly a few in there I'd like to see.
Its a nice occasion to meet people and theres usually a great ambiance. Anyways its just something to do when you go down to QC city. Its a pretty big event for a city this size. If you're around for Saint Jean Baptiste I recommand the plains of abraham. Strange event to attend to for an anglo but that would be real, deep immersion

Old
05-01-2012, 09:44 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Quote:

Yeah the only time I've went and actually slept on the plains (didn't sleep actually) was for Paul Mccartney, my friend had the ridiculous idea that 24hrs before the show there would be already a huge line and didn't want to stand less than in the first row. Standing up for 12 hours before the show with less than 1 feet square of space at 30'C was almost not worth it. Unless someone as good comes back (missed CCR), I'm not going to have to pay and have to wait in line for hours. My only pick would be Aerosmith and maybe the offspring, but everyone has their own taste, who knows maybe the OP is a huge skrillex fan

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2012, 10:29 PM
Vineon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Strange event to attend to for an anglo but that would be real, deep immersion
Just bring the big red Canadian flag?

Old
05-01-2012, 11:55 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Just bring the big red Canadian flag?
Some hicks would probably think you brought it so it could be burned

All this Saguenay talk reminds me of flies (which are graciously called ''Mouches a marde''). Not sure I want summer anymore...

Old
05-02-2012, 04:55 AM
1UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddyjack View Post
The french language can be somewhat interesting also over there since they speak french with some colorful expressions sometimes. Just end your sentences with "law law" and you should be fine
là-là would get you a weird look in Chicoutimi as much as in Québec or Montréal =p. This isn't Roberval or Mistassini...

People from Saguenay generally don't really have an accent. A few weird expressions, yes, though.

Saguenay is a city of around 150k people, Chicoutimi is one of the 3 main areas of the city, the mostly commercial and residential one. It's not really small, and there is plenty to do. Outdoors activities are, of course, the best, but there is no lack of cultural stuff out there. And girls are, hum, warmblooded.

Lived there 21 years. I would still, if it wasn't for the fact I couldn't get a job in my speciality there and had to move to Québec.

Nobody should give you a hard time for being an englishman there ^_^. Hope you have fun!

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 10:10 AM
GordonGraham

If you have a car take a drive to St felicien they have the best zoo in the province by far

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Flylotus

Wow! It's nice to see so much love given to my native region. I've been living in Mtl for 11 years, now, but I do miss Saguenay.

Just wanted to mention that Jonquière and Chicoutimi are very common cities for french immersion, and the groups they form there (usually linked with the Cegeps or the university) always seem to have one hell of a time.

Enjoy your stay and do visit the beaches around Lac St-Jean if you're there during the summer, they are by far the best of the kind this province has to offer if the sun shows up!

Flylotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Vineon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flylotus View Post

Enjoy your stay and do visit the beaches around Lac St-Jean if you're there during the summer, they are by far the best of the kind this province has to offer if the sun shows up!
If you like cold water !

Old
08-05-2012, 05:06 PM
bipolarhabfan

I have just spent five of the most memorable weeks in Chicoutimi and Quebec City. I have to say I was amazed at the natural beauty of the province and the incredible buildings and ambiance in Quebec City. Most importantly, the people, minus a couple of here and there, were for very friendly and patient when I was trying to speak the language. I will surely visit the province a couple of more times in my life!

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 05:47 PM
coolasprICE

the big question we all want to know, is..........how many???

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 01:45 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Saguenay women are that easy, huh?

Franck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:05 AM
ChoseLa

Best people in the land, seriously Janois and Sagnenéens are realy great people to be around.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:11 AM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Damn after all those responses, I so wanna work there for a couple of years to test waters...

CN_paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:40 AM
katatoniak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Best people in the land, seriously Janois and Sagnenéens are realy great people to be around.
And we have awesome accent

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 06:36 PM
Shred

This is pretty random but I've been working 12 hour shifts in Jonquiere all week and I have tonight (saturday) off and don't know what there is to do! I'm from Montreal so I don't know anyone here!

Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 06:46 AM
RC51

Yes you will learn french, yes you will enjoy your stay.
But I think the thing you will finally learn that almost none of the English Canadians EVER learn. Agree or don't agree you will be exposed to the fact that this part of Canada IS like a different country. You will exposed enough to listen to and understand finally The FRENCH QUEBEC culture from it's point of view. You will find out that the Pure French core is NOT a twelve headed alien bent of you destruction. Just regular people doing what regular people do and doing it in French. Canada is almost an alien country for them. Hardly anybody form English Canada ever goes there.
I am not saying that they should take Quebec out of Canada I am saying that you will learn WHY they are, who they are, what they want, WHAT THEY LOVE. Then you will understand them a heck of a lot better then English rednecks living somewhere out west demanding the Canada throw Quebec out.
You sure will finally understand Why they think that they are a nation inside an other nation, because it's TRUE.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 06:58 AM
HabsByTheBay

Anybody know any good books for learning colloquial Quebec French?

I studied French for 4 years in school (metropolitaine) so I have an OK grounding in the language, but I had a couple funny situations in Montreal where I really disliked the overwrought nature of FM as compared to just asking where the ******* bus stop is. Pomme de terre vs. patate sort of sums it up. Not really joual, but a Quebec version of a book that teaches American English vs UK English.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 08:47 AM
Asamu

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay
Anybody know any good books for learning colloquial Quebec French?
You should try the ''Petit dictionnaire des québécismes''.

You can find it at Renaud-Bray for 35$, but they might also have it at Archambeault.Click here if you want to have more info about the book.

When you'll be there, you may want to check around if there is a pocket book which will be cheaper and easier to carry.

Last edited by Asamu: 08-28-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Asamu is offline   Reply With Quote