HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hockey cards

Closed Thread

Old
08-05-2012, 12:51 AM
CP31

vCash: 500
Hockey cards

I just bought an upper deck series 2 tin and think I got a pretty good tin. I was wondering if anyone else has baught a UD tin and what was in it. Here are the highlights from mine:

UD Canvas Young guns Colin Greening

Dmitry Orlov Young guns

Lennart Petrell rookie

Ryan Ellis Young Guns

Alexei Emelin Rookie

Gabriel landeskog rookie

Zack kassian rookie

Gustav Nyquist young guns

Brendon Saad rookie

Jean Beliveau hockey heroes

Jaromir Jagr UD canvas

Kassian OPC retro

Vanek UD Canvas

Weiss UD Canvas

Mike Green Canvas

So what do you think? I thought it was pretty good. have you guys ever gotten a good UD tin?

Edit- Forgot to mention I got a blown up Taylor Hall

Last edited by CP31: 08-05-2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old
08-05-2012, 12:58 AM
Hurt

I haven't bought any hockey cards in about 10 years but that looks like a pretty decent haul. Maybe some of the cards I have worth something, should get them checked out.

08-05-2012, 01:00 AM
Mason10
Bacon

Bought 2 this year.. off the top of my head

Varlamov MVP card
Orlov young guns
Matt Read Marquee Rookie card
Erik Gudbranson rookie card
Eddie Lack rookie card
Mark Sheifele MVP rookie card
Calvin de Haan young guns
DSP rookie card
Gustav Nyquist young guns
Perry canvas
Arnott and Markov UD game jersey card
Weiss canvas
Niklas Backstrom canvas
Hossa All-word card

probably have more but i don't want to go check

Last edited by Mason10: 08-05-2012 at 01:06 AM.
Old
08-05-2012, 01:21 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

I have like, 4000 hockey cards in my closet, mostly from '06-'07 and earlier. Can only imagine what that (coupled with my 3000 Pokemon cards) will be worth in several years.

Looks like a solid haul, though. I'd be happy.

Old
08-05-2012, 02:39 AM
Roboturner913

I haven't bought cards since the early 2000s but at one point I had massive binders full of every star and recognizable name.

I once happened into a 500+ count box of Pacific parallels at an estate sale. Paid $1 per card, turned around and flipped the whole box the next week. I won't say exactly how much I made, but it just was enough to buy a brand new Chevy pickup in 2002.

Old
08-05-2012, 03:22 AM
Grannys

Not sure if its just that I got old and stopped buying cards or that hockey cards just arent as popular as they were years back...

I was crazy into collecting them in the 90s and still have one folder of some serious cards. Always thought they would be worth some serious cash but I dont think they are worth much. Looking back at how much cards from the 50s, 60s and 70s were worth made it always seem like my cards were one day the key to my retirement... but thats far from it. in the 80s they started printing a lot more cards and there is no way these cards will ever be worth that much.

Old
08-05-2012, 03:38 AM
Carlzner

I haven't gotten Hockey Cards in so long.

Man, an Orlov young guns card... Do want.

Old
08-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

pretty good haul

no Jerseys or Autos??

i still collect and recently pulled out a Subban Emerald tri-colored patch out of Artifacts worth about 60$

Old
08-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Dr John Carlson
Emotional Boys 2001

vCash: 50
I have at least 5000 hockey cards, mostly recent... they're worth a lot of money I think, if you want to find out how much they're worth, buy the Beckett hockey card magazines.

The worst part though is that my UD Ovechkin rookie card was never worth more than $125, yet my brother's UD Crosby rookie card has topped $400+...

Old
08-05-2012, 12:40 PM
croAVSfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr John Carlson View Post
I have at least 5000 hockey cards, mostly recent... they're worth a lot of money I think, if you want to find out how much they're worth, buy the Beckett hockey card magazines.

The worst part though is that my UD Ovechkin rookie card was never worth more than $125, yet my brother's UD Crosby rookie card has topped $400+...

Hail to You

How long took it for you to get that number ?

Old
08-05-2012, 02:02 PM
SharksAttack

I have over 20 000 hockey cards. Some full series + almost full series + my Owen Nolan and Craig Janney collections + lots of misc. cards.
I have been collecting since mid 90's.

There's some old pics I don't have all of those cards anymore. I'm taking some brake so I'm not selling, buying or trading right now.

Old
08-05-2012, 02:38 PM
croAVSfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksAttack View Post
I have over 20 000 hockey cards. Some full series + almost full series + my Owen Nolan and Craig Janney collections + lots of misc. cards.
I have been collecting since mid 90's.

There's some old pics I don't have all of those cards anymore. I'm taking some brake so I'm not selling, buying or trading right now.
Very impressive ! Is there any online site where I can order hockey cards ? I have some old NHL cards that my friend, who has Czech origins and some family in Czech, used to brought me few times, but that was long time ago.

Old
08-05-2012, 04:26 PM
Grannys

Geez the cards these days are so crazy, what happened to just plain cards. Anyone collect cards in the early to mid 90s and know if any of that stuff is worth anything? Because I pretty much have all the awesome cards from that period.

Old
08-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Dr John Carlson
Emotional Boys 2001

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by croAVSfan View Post

Hail to You

How long took it for you to get that number ?
It's a rough estimate, could be a lot more, but probably 1000 of them were from my father but the rest were piled up from packs, 2003-2010. 2 boxes and 4 binders full of them. But 5000 isn't that much, as proved by SharksAttack.

Old
08-05-2012, 05:37 PM
JSmith81x
Your weapon is guilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by outerone View Post
Geez the cards these days are so crazy, what happened to just plain cards. Anyone collect cards in the early to mid 90s and know if any of that stuff is worth anything? Because I pretty much have all the awesome cards from that period.
They're not. They were a lot more card companies, and each one made multiple sets that printed tons of cards. Remember buying a pack of 10-24 cards for a 25 cents to a dollar? 'Cause that's what they were worth. Players went from having 1-2 cards a year to 15+. New players from there have at least a dozen different rookie cards.

Stuff before 1988 or 1989 is usually worth something (if it's a rookie and/or a good player), and 2000+ if they are numbered, autographed, and/or have a jersey piece in them. Otherwise, that's about it. Whatever you paid for the pack is pretty much what they're worth, so collect for yourself, not money. W/ so many cards available (and eBay), there's not much demand. I still buy them and collect for fun. I don't particularly care that my cards are worth, on average, probably 10 cents each, because I'm not selling them. I probably have around 20,000 cards.

Last edited by JSmith81x: 08-05-2012 at 07:32 PM. Reason: stupid typo
Old
08-05-2012, 07:15 PM
Orange Thunder

I have about 5000. Best card is a Gretzky rookie.

Old
08-05-2012, 07:21 PM
Fleury14
Kipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayzinSmith View Post
They're not. They were a lot more card companies, and each one made multiple sets that printed tons of cards. Remember buying a pack of 10-24 cards for a 25 cents to a dollar? 'Cause that's what they were worth. Players went from having 1-2 cards a year to 15+. New players from there have at least a dozen different rookie cards.

Stuff before 1988 or 1989 is usually worth something (if it's a rookie and/or a good player), and 2000+ if they are numbered, autographed, and/or have a jersey piece in them. Otherwise, that's about it. Whatever you paid for the pack is pretty much what they're worth, so collect for yourself, not money. W/ so many cards available (and eBay), they're not much demand. I still buy them and collect for fun. I don't particularly care that my cards are worth, on average, probably 10 cents each, because I'm not selling them. I probably have around 20,000 cards.
Yeah, basically any cards made from 1989-2000 basically have zero cash value. There's a handful with some value from the late 90's, cards numbered to 100 or less or the first jersey cards from upper deck in the late 90's, but anything else from that period can be had for $0.99 or less.

Old
08-05-2012, 08:35 PM
SadStumpy

Alright, I'm curious.... how the hell does a card accrue value? What makes one worth anything at any point? Are limited quantities of desirable players' cards produced to create an artificial collectors market? Are most cards in a deck third and fourth line nobodys?

I had my fair share of cards as a kid, but my priorities shifted when Pokemon came out. I can still clearly picture my Ron Hextall "Blocked! Saved! Denied! NO ENTRY!" card. It's holographic-ness reminded me Nine-Tails card. I'd love to see that card again...

Old
08-05-2012, 09:03 PM
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios

From 1990-1992 I collected hockey cards, they got to expensive for me so I quit buying them. One piece of advice is to keep them in good condition so that in 25-30 years you can get some money for them.

08-05-2012, 09:08 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

I have about 200,000 to 300,000 cards...I was actually thinking of opening a little shop on HF lol. Too many triple digit cards to list...

Old
08-05-2012, 09:39 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadStumpy View Post
Alright, I'm curious.... how the hell does a card accrue value? What makes one worth anything at any point? Are limited quantities of desirable players' cards produced to create an artificial collectors market? Are most cards in a deck third and fourth line nobodys?

I had my fair share of cards as a kid, but my priorities shifted when Pokemon came out. I can still clearly picture my Ron Hextall "Blocked! Saved! Denied! NO ENTRY!" card. It's holographic-ness reminded me Nine-Tails card. I'd love to see that card again...
Supply and demand...

For supply, that's simple, the card company will make cards in different rarities for all sorts of reasons.

Demand is where things get complicated...obvoiously top players are worth a lot. Autographs and pieces of game used jerseys... Usually the focus is on rookie cards, the first year the player appears on a card. And there are variations and exceptions for everything. Card design is also important as people will collect cards that look nice or have an appealing design. Plus one thing that most people always forget is that tradition in sets is very important. If the same set comes out every year then people will be more confident about the card's in that set value as there will be built in demand from collectors chasing those cards every year. Upper Deck's Young Guns set is the best example of this.

How cards get extremely valuable is when multiple of the above factors are in effect. If the demand comes from multiple factors and then exceeds supply in an obvious way, the card may go up exponentially.

Old
08-05-2012, 09:41 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

I just collected, never thought of them as an investment as a kid. Wouldn't dream of selling them - I'd rather give them to my kid when he's growing up to kick-start his collection. Gives me a nice bit of nostalgia and I can look over them and remember all the random players who've passed through the league that I've since forgotten even existed.

Old
08-05-2012, 09:43 PM
211*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
I have like, 4000 hockey cards in my closet, mostly from '06-'07 and earlier. Can only imagine what that (coupled with my 3000 Pokemon cards) will be worth in several years.

Looks like a solid haul, though. I'd be happy.
there gonna be worth nothing.

Old
08-05-2012, 09:47 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 211 View Post
there gonna be worth nothing.
Correct grammar, however, is worth its weight in gold.

Old
08-05-2012, 10:39 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Also, very few sports cards go up in value from the year they're released. The exceptions will be like the hidden gem rookie that took a couple years to mature, like Jeremy Lin in basketball or Erik Karlsson in hockey. The other 99 percent will go down then plateau out in value. One nice thing about hockey cards is of all of the sports generally hockey cards go down very little and thus overall hold their value really well, especially Upper Deck post 2002 and old O Pee Chee cards. This is because these makers' sets have a lot of tradition built in.

Closed Thread