HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Essentials: Carolina Hurricanes

Old
08-05-2012, 02:44 PM
Joe McGrath

vCash: 500
The Essentials: Carolina Hurricanes

So Puck Daddy is doing the "essentials" of each franchise in certain categories. I wanted to make my own before they reveal what the Hurricanes one actually are. I think this is for the franchise as a whole and not just as the Hurricanes so I will treat it that way. If anyone wants to contribute a specific Hurricanes only or Whalers only one, that would be nice to see as well. Here goes my list:

Player: Ron Francis
Franchise leader in pretty much every positive career statistic. No brainer for me. If this were just Carolina, Staal or Brind'Amour could at least challenge, but since its the franchise, who else but Ronnie Franchise.

Seson: 2005-2006
Too easy. Runner up would be either 85-86 or 2001-2002.

Goal: Ron Francis: Game 1 Stanley Cup Finals 2002

This one was tough. While this goal didn't wind up winning a cup, I feel like it legitimized that run in particular in the eyes of the hockey world. If it wasn't Francis, maybe I would have gone with something else though.

Trade: Francis, Samuelson, and Jennings and my sanity, for a bag of pucks(John Cullen, Zarley Zalapski, and Jeff Parker.

I really don't think there is any denying that no trade had a bigger impact on this franchise than this travesty. The season following this trade, the Whalers went to a primarily blue uniform and never made the playoffs again. It wasn't the blow that killed the Whalers, but it damn sure started the death of the Whale.

Unsung Hero: Robert Kron
I tried to pick someone who spanned both franchises as a support player for a decent amount time. The man could fly. I remember a game at the Civic Center (I think it was an afternoon game) he scored the OT winner on a the rush with a big slap shot. I think it was against Tampa. Blew the roof off the place. Honorable Mentions: Chad LaRose, seriously. Martin Gerber, for all the crap he gets for how he finished the cup year, he was a huge part of the cup winning team.

Fight: Whalers vs. Minnesota Fighting Saints April 11, 1975

Huge bench clearing brawl featuring the main event of Jack Carlson and Nick Fotiu. No video, which blows, but I listened to the radio play by play many a time. Go here for more info if you so choose. http://www.brassbonanza.com/hcc/whal...lers-vs-saints

Coach: Paul Maurice

Regrettably, it couldn't be anyone else.

Broadcaster: Chuck Kaiton

Absurdly easy. From the first NHL game to right now, the only radio play by play man.

Arena Behavior/Tradition/Trend: Tailgating

I don't go to many games down south so I'm just making a guess here. If this were just Hartford, it was the Brass Bonanza.

Arena Food: The hell if I know.

I had Nachos at Whalers games and cheap hot dogs. Now that I'm actually paying for arena food I eat and drink before I go in.

Swag: Green Cooperalls

If you manage to have a pair of these somewhere, you are my hero.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 03:02 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Player: Ron Francis, can't argue with that
Season: 05-06, again can't argue with that
Goal: Williams in Game 7 vs Edmonton.
Trade: The death of the Whalers (AKA the Francis trade) or the Brind'Amour for Primeau trade.
a real sneaky one he could go with that's underrated in an all-time great trades context: Ozolinsh for Hedican, K Ads, a draft pick, and Malec.
Unsung Hero: Kevin Weekes, the 02 Cup Final or even beating New Jersey in the first round would have never happened without him. Possibly Martin Gelinas or Gary Roberts.
Fight: oh god.... Boulerice vs Downie? That's the only fight that's really associated with Carolina other then the controversy of Gleason TKOing Kulemin and the Boston Troll Party from this past season. Hartford had some greats (Primeau vs Primeau for example).
Coach: wish I could say Lavi, but it's going to be Maurice
Broadcaster: Chuck Kaiton, no brainer
Arena Behaviour/Tradition/Trend: Tailgating, or Brass Bonanza if he's going with the throwback. Anything else and he's flat out doing it wrong. Only possible exception is fans from a few other markets deciding to be total asshats in our arena, but that's not OUR tradition it's theirs.
Arena Food: BBQ (either tailgate or BBQ stand variety)
Swag: .... I ****ing hate that word. Go with the green Cooperalls, those things are legendary.

Last edited by DaveG: 08-05-2012 at 03:09 PM.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Yeah, I saw the same articles and came up with basically the same results.

I had LaRose instead of Kron, simply because he's been in the "Compuware" system for over a decade. Undrafted and staying in the Karmanos curtain for as long as he has.

For the fight, I couldn't really think of anything except Downey v. Boulerice. Not the best fight (in terms of the Canes showing), but the first one that popped into my head.

Arena behavior would either be tailgating or the "Rick Flair Woo" after the goals.

And arena food would be the BBQ.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Roboturner913

Player: I think you got it right.

Season: duh

Goal: I'm with you on the Francis OT goal. Shocked the world for one night.....others that come to mind: Cole at the Molson, Scott Walker in game 7, Nic Wallin in OT against the Devils.

Trade: To me, it's Primeau for Brind'Amour hands down. There's no doubt that Francis' impact has been immense, but if there's no Brind'Amour, there's no Cup. Period.

Unsung hero: If you're looking for somebody that spans both incarnations, why not Glen Wesley? I think Canes/Whaler fans appreciate him, but on a larger scale he's just known as the guy they made a really dumb trade for. If that's too high-profile then I would probably pick Adam Burt.

Last edited by Roboturner913: 08-05-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Roboturner913 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 03:19 PM
WWAD

Player: Ron Francis

Without a doubt

Seson: 2005-2006

No brainer

Goal: Ron Francis: Game 1 Stanley Cup Finals 2002

A valid choice. I would go with J Willy's empty netter, though

Trade: Francis, Samuelson, and Jennings and my sanity, for a bag of pucks(John Cullen, Zarley Zalapski, and Jeff Parker.

Ugh.....yeah, no doubt on this one. For Hurricanes only, I would say Primeau for Brindamour.

Fight: Whalers vs. Minnesota Fighting Saints April 11, 1975

My buddies uncle actually owns this record. I can't really think of a memorable Hurricanes fight though.

Coach: Paul Maurice

Regrettably is right.

Broadcaster: Chuck Kaiton

Yep. Another no-brainer

Arena Behavior/Tradition/Trend: Tailgating

Yep.

Arena Food: The hell if I know.

Dollar Brightleaf hot dogs? The barbecue maybe?

Swag: Green Cooperalls

While I appreciate the nostalgia over the old Whale logo, and Brass Bonanza, those green Cooperalls were hideous.

WWAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 03:47 PM
AD Skinner

No love for The Robe?

AD Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 04:21 PM
Fan of The Game

Send a message via MSN to Fan of The Game
Player: Ron Francis, end of story. HM: Brindy, Irbe, Wesley, Staal may claim in future.

Season: 05-06, end of story once again.

Goal: Williams in Game 7 vs Edmonton. HM: Jokinen on Brodeur, Walker on Boston

Game: Molson Miracle IMO.

Trade: Brind'Amour trade. HM: Hedican then Gerber, Weight, Reechi

FA: Francis and its not even close. HM: Whitney and Stillman

Unsung Hero: Nicklas Wallin? Not sure if allowed but hell everyone over looks him till playoffs and even then its like point..goal...wtf Wallin again?

Fight: Sadly the only one that comes to mind is the KO of Boulerice.

Coach: Maurice-seniority

Broadcaster: Never listened to a game called by Chuck Kaiton, so for me it is Forslund.

Arena Behaviour/Tradition/Trend: Tailgating

Arena Food: BBQ

Swag: Keeping it Carolina....Commodore's hair, Irbe's pads, Wards incessant need to change helmet designs. Irbe's pads being my favourite.

Fan of The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 05:06 PM
bleedgreen

The Francis trade is generally considered one of the most lopsided in modern hockey history, not just franchise history, and it's hard to point to one event that lead the team to leaving than this trade - other than jr/karmanos taking over the team obviously.

The robe vs the cooperalls make an interesting debate, though the cooperalls go down as one of the goofiest things the NHL ever tried... the glo puck comes to mind league wide.

The fight in the original post is hard to beat though I get why canes fans wouldn't care about it. When you bought the 45 of the brass bonanza for your record player at home, the b side was the radio broadcast of this fight. I had this record when I was about 6.

Hm for fight on a personal level would be Jim Mackenzie vs tony twist I believe. A last man standing face to face pounding that was tough to watch for even the most violent fans.

Either molson miracle, broduers collapse or the cup series for the canes. To me the primeau bro's fighting each other in triumphant home victory over the division rival Sabres that put us in a playoff spot with 4 to go was a personal favorite for game. Second to last home game ever, Sanderson with two big goals. Most emotional game I've ever been part of or witnessed in any sport.

The tailgating takes the cake, and I hope to be part of it someday.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 05:15 PM
Joe McGrath

Was anyone else at the Whalers game where Scott Daniels fought Rob Ray when Daniels was fighting from inside the Sabres bench? That was awesome.

Old
08-05-2012, 05:32 PM
bleedgreen

I remember that one from tv. Awesome.

Old
08-05-2012, 07:10 PM
wallym

A fun "Fight" might be Scott Walker vs. an unsuspecting Aaron Ward.

wallym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 08:00 PM
Chrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallym View Post
A fun "Fight" might be Scott Walker vs. an unsuspecting Aaron Ward.
I was about to suggest the same thing. It doesn't fit the term of a two-sided fight, but it received a lot more publicity than anything else, and Walker's OT vindication pushes it above a typical "fight".

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 08:51 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
Say what you want about the others, but John Cullen was an excellent player and the heart and soul of the Whalers for a few years (91, 92). Just an all-around good guy too.

ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 11:56 PM
bleedgreen

he was an excellent player, but heart and soul is pushing it a bit. he had unfair expectations, and wilted under them though he was no doubt a quality human being.

Old
08-06-2012, 04:18 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I will do one of these strictly for the Hurricanes portion of the franchise as it would be well beyond my scope to attempt to gauge the heartbeat of a team that was moved before I became a diehard hockey fan. I go into this attempting to avoid any mulligans or gimmie shots.

Player: Glen Wesley

As much as it would be easy to further the rhetoric of Ron Francis' signing with Carolina as "legitimizing" this market, I have to go with the Red Head here. No player more accurately represented our rise to glory as a franchise than Wesley. He was here for our darkest days of hidden seats in Greensboro, he was here for the departure from Hartford, he was here in 2001-2002 when we made our first run in front of a national audience, and he was here when we sent the nail home in 05-06. No other player can make the claim of having been through the worst days and remaining dedicated to the area and franchise as much as Wesley. As much as Brind'Amour ultimately came to enjoy playing here, he was pretty open about not wanting to be here initially after his trade. Give me the guy that was class through and through, was here for the whole thing, and has stayed after class to help us build the defense with some pretty damn impressive results he gets far too little credit for with young guys like Justin Faulk on up to veterans like Jay Harrison. Wesley never made a splash the way that Francis did by coming back or Brind'Amour did by being a vocal leader and captain, but nobody else was a Hurricane at a time when it was embarrassing to be a Hurricane, stuck with it, and came with us to glory.

Season: 2001-2002

Without the 2001-2002 heartbreak, there is never the 2005-2006 glory. I firmly believe that to be true. I think as an organization we have never been more wide eyed and awed by the magnitude of important games being played in Raleigh, NC. I know that personally, until this playoff run I always felt like the little brother of the NHL. The little brother of the Devils. The little brother of the Leafs. The cute little upstart with the cute little swirl on the crest. When we started our march by defeating New Jersey, the hockey world payed attention to Carolina for the first time in league history. We had won a playoff series. We had advanced. When we beat Montreal in dramatic fashion, we became a Cinderella. When we took out Toronto, we became a threat. When we won the first game of the Finals, we came three wins away from beating what some consider to be the best team of all time that was so chock full of bought hall of fame players that they couldn't even all get powerplay time and all we had was gumption, our Latvian sparkplug with the crusty pads, and Ron Francis who for whatever reason had whipped this group into a frenzy. Long before the term "cap hit" became part of the vernacular, we delivered a body blow on behalf of the bottom 26 teams in the league who couldn't buy the game by sheer force of wallet. That David vs. Goliath dynamic, with the advent of the salary cap, may never come again. At least, it will never be as dramatic as the disparity between the two pedigrees as it was that season for us. It taught a young group how to win, and it taught a GM how to build a team.

Goal: Martin Gelinas - Game 7 against Toronto in OT

I was very tempted to say the Francis goal from this same playoff run, but I have to tip my cap to the goal that even provided us that opportunity. Goals do not get much bigger than Game 7 of the ECF in OT to take the series, much less to take that opportunity away from Toronto who thought they had a legitimate chance to win their first cup since..... well we all know since when. And I think that says enough that we all know. As much as we recognize that hockey media revolves around Toronto, I don't know if we recognize enough what that series did for our profile and what that goal did to Leafs fans. It was an absolute dagger. I have an incredibly difficult time saying the greatest goal of our history is a goal in a series in which we didn't win, but the goal that clinched the East for us in 2002 was as big as any scored in 05-06.

Trade: Doug Weight to Carolina

The fact that we, the Carolina Hurricanes, made a deadline acquisition for a rental was enough to make this a significant moment in Hurricanes history. The fact that it was the biggest name on the market with a NTC that actually wanted to be a part of what we had going here in Carolina made it a true nod to the progress that Carolina had made in the eyes of the hockey world. The fact that Doug Weight solidified our lines, became a rally point for us, and gave us perhaps the greatest image of the war of attrition that is the Stanley Cup playoffs is all just icing on the cake. This move made everybody stop and say, "Well maybe this team is for real this year", when only we lucky few in Carolina and abroad who followed us every game knew. There were other trades that yielded more long lasting returns and there were trades that we "won" by greater margins, but this move to me represented the fact that we were now contenders.

Unsung Hero: Erik Cole

As just a brash rookie in his second professional season, Erik Cole came into the NHL playoffs and started kicking ass. Between dipsy doodling his way past Scott Stevens, to finally solving the unbeatable Jose Theodore and daring Doug Gilmore of all people to interrupt his celebration, to 05-06 when his comeback in Game 6 in Edmonton from a broken neck showed us how equally insane and cup lustful he was.... there will never be another. He never scored that big goal for us that meant the difference between moving forward and going home, he never really had his moment in the sun in 05-06.... we lost the game that he came back in the playoffs in embarrassing fashion.... but the balls on this guy helped relax everybody on the bench. Any team that Erik Cole plays on is never going to be the team short on intestinal fortitude. Whether he was too young and stupid to understand the stakes in 2001-2002, nobody told the guy that this team wasn't supposed to be here. He played like he owned every building he stepped into. That confidence was a contagion.

Fight: Jason Doig vs. Caniacs, Hurricanes Players, and Camera Men

Not really a fight as much as a note of hilarity, but does anybody else remember that split camera "Jason Doig shift camera", that tracked the guy the ENTIRE time he was on the ice? I have never before, and may never again, see that kind of production on an NHL broadcast. It was certainly before its time. Jason Doig trolled the entire organization.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 08:54 AM
Anton Bubdobin
I hates summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Season: 2001-2002

Without the 2001-2002 heartbreak, there is never the 2005-2006 glory. I firmly believe that to be true. I think as an organization we have never been more wide eyed and awed by the magnitude of important games being played in Raleigh, NC. I know that personally, until this playoff run I always felt like the little brother of the NHL. The little brother of the Devils. The little brother of the Leafs. The cute little upstart with the cute little swirl on the crest. When we started our march by defeating New Jersey, the hockey world payed attention to Carolina for the first time in league history. We had won a playoff series. We had advanced. When we beat Montreal in dramatic fashion, we became a Cinderella. When we took out Toronto, we became a threat. When we won the first game of the Finals, we came three wins away from beating what some consider to be the best team of all time that was so chock full of bought hall of fame players that they couldn't even all get powerplay time and all we had was gumption, our Latvian sparkplug with the crusty pads, and Ron Francis who for whatever reason had whipped this group into a frenzy. Long before the term "cap hit" became part of the vernacular, we delivered a body blow on behalf of the bottom 26 teams in the league who couldn't buy the game by sheer force of wallet. That David vs. Goliath dynamic, with the advent of the salary cap, may never come again. At least, it will never be as dramatic as the disparity between the two pedigrees as it was that season for us. It taught a young group how to win, and it taught a GM how to build a team.
And it showed the world (well, me at least) what an absolute ******** Mitch Albom is.

EDIT: the missing word rhymes with "thickhead."

Anton Bubdobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 09:06 AM
Zombie Mike Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
When you bought the 45 of the brass bonanza for your record player at home, the b side was the radio broadcast of this fight. I had this record when I was about 6.
Damn you. Didn't know about that. I'm a vinyl collector. Guess what I'm scouring ebay for now?

The actual record, if anyone wants to see it:

http://www.discogs.com/No-Artist-New...elease/1482125

Zombie Mike Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 09:31 AM
bleedgreen

I broke it accidentally when I was about ten. I seriously cried. My top three whalers angst moments:
1) team leaves
2) Sanderson authentic jersey gets stolen out of my work truck with the rest of my equipment after the only game I ever wore the jersey out of the house for in 5 years, showing it off to my Colorado buddies.
3) breaking my brass bonanza record

Honorable mention to watching Pierre maguire live and in person calling out jagr on an illegal stick measurement in OT in a regular season game, only to have jagr leave the box and get a breakaway from the red line to win it. He saluted us and left the ice without even waiting for his teammates, later calling it the most satisfying goal of his career do to his distaste for our "coach". I'd have preferred not spending much needed cash on that.

Old
08-06-2012, 10:51 AM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Ward View Post
Damn you. Didn't know about that. I'm a vinyl collector. Guess what I'm scouring ebay for now?

The actual record, if anyone wants to see it:

http://www.discogs.com/No-Artist-New...elease/1482125
My town library had it when I was a kid. I took it out and recorded it to a cassette. That cassette is probably still at my parents house somewhere, or in a landfill somewhere.

Old
08-06-2012, 11:51 AM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

I have to give "Goal" to Rod's goal in game 7 of the Buffalo series, the one that broke the 2-2 tie in the 3rd. Lord knows how that series would have gone had Brindy not scored there. I still remember yelling at the TV when the puck was just sitting there in front of Miller, "Shooooooooooooot!".

HM: Rod's GWG in game 1 of the Finals.

HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
yeeeeee

Quote:
Goal: Martin Gelinas - Game 7 against Toronto in OT

I was very tempted to say the Francis goal from this same playoff run, but I have to tip my cap to the goal that even provided us that opportunity. Goals do not get much bigger than Game 7 of the ECF in OT to take the series, much less to take that opportunity away from Toronto who thought they had a legitimate chance to win their first cup since..... well we all know since when. And I think that says enough that we all know. As much as we recognize that hockey media revolves around Toronto, I don't know if we recognize enough what that series did for our profile and what that goal did to Leafs fans. It was an absolute dagger. I have an incredibly difficult time saying the greatest goal of our history is a goal in a series in which we didn't win, but the goal that clinched the East for us in 2002 was as big as any scored in 05-06.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, as I was like 8 at the time, but wasn't that Game 6? I thought every series en route to the Finals that run was six games...

Anton Dubinchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 12:19 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
he was an excellent player, but heart and soul is pushing it a bit. he had unfair expectations, and wilted under them though he was no doubt a quality human being.
He really wanted to be in Hartford, he helped in the community and with charities, played his butt off after the franchise was left with no real leader. I don't know...after the Francis trade things looked so bleak.

I was always a big fan of Cullen and maybe that's why I'm so quick to defend him.

Quote:
Player: Glen Wesley

As much as it would be easy to further the rhetoric of Ron Francis' signing with Carolina as "legitimizing" this market, I have to go with the Red Head here. No player more accurately represented our rise to glory as a franchise than Wesley. He was here for our darkest days of hidden seats in Greensboro, he was here for the departure from Hartford, he was here in 2001-2002 when we made our first run in front of a national audience, and he was here when we sent the nail home in 05-06. No other player can make the claim of having been through the worst days and remaining dedicated to the area and franchise as much as Wesley. As much as Brind'Amour ultimately came to enjoy playing here, he was pretty open about not wanting to be here initially after his trade. Give me the guy that was class through and through, was here for the whole thing, and has stayed after class to help us build the defense with some pretty damn impressive results he gets far too little credit for with young guys like Justin Faulk on up to veterans like Jay Harrison. Wesley never made a splash the way that Francis did by coming back or Brind'Amour did by being a vocal leader and captain, but nobody else was a Hurricane at a time when it was embarrassing to be a Hurricane, stuck with it, and came with us to glory.
One of the best paragraphs I've read on this site.

Quote:
Unsung Hero: Erik Cole

As just a brash rookie in his second professional season, Erik Cole came into the NHL playoffs and started kicking ass. Between dipsy doodling his way past Scott Stevens, to finally solving the unbeatable Jose Theodore and daring Doug Gilmore of all people to interrupt his celebration
Another great pick (of course Erik is one of my all-time favorite Canes).

lol @ Gilmour. I remember that clearly...have the game on tape somewhere in the house...Gilmour didn't dare interrupt Erik's celebration because judging by the stare Cole gave him, he would have broken Doug's head open if he tried.

ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 12:37 PM
Joe McGrath

I never considered Cole for the unsung spot because I consider him too good. Otherwise I would have picked a guy like Kevin Dineen who was pretty much Erik Cole for the Whalers.

The Gelinais goal was game 6, whoever mentioned it.

Wesley is an inspired choice for the Canes only list.

Old
08-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Xylo
CaroladianHurriwings

*sigh* Just when I begin accepting Erik Cole's departure I have to read this thread and get all sad.

Xylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 08:14 PM
bleedgreen

I don't know about Wesley getting credit for canes days only, his attempt at mentoring 18-19 year old pronger deserved hazard pay.