HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 CBJ Offseason Part III (Proposals, Speculations, Blog Rumors, etc. go here)

Old
08-05-2012, 10:46 PM
Tyler Biggs*
Go Leafs Go!

vCash: 500
Scoring To Jackets

Jackets look like they could use some more offense in their lineup, anyone from the Leafs you would want? If so for what?

Tyler Biggs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 10:56 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MintoMadDogsKiller18 View Post
Jackets look like they could use some more offense in their lineup, anyone from the Leafs you would want? If so for what?
Can't really think of anyone on TOR I'd want. CBJ would be better going with a FA or a better trade partner for a 25-30 goal guy. Anyone on TOR that meets the criteria the CBJ need isn't going to be available in the real world.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 11:08 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Outside of Lupul and Kessel, who I can't see the Leafs giving up, there aren't any scorers that I would want

candyman82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 11:08 PM
CBJWennberg41
Me when I watch CBJ

Quote:
That Fill Castle guy looks good.

CBJWennberg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 11:13 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
You can go Carter yourself!
...dude, that hurts my feelings. I mean, here we are, everyone having a light-hearted conversation, and you come along and start throwing down such harsh insults.

In fact, I'm going to throw this out there: Mods, anytime the word "Carter" is used on HF boards, the post should have to come with a disclaimer. Something along the lines of "Viewer Discretion is Strongly Advised" ... anyone who does not adhere to this rule should immediately have to withstand multiple kicks to the groin region.

Quote:
<snip>

mod edit re: be nice to visiting fans

Last edited by SuperGenius: 08-05-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 12:01 AM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
...dude, that hurts my feelings. I mean, here we are, everyone having a light-hearted conversation, and you come along and start throwing down such harsh insults.

In fact, I'm going to throw this out there: Mods, anytime the word "Carter" is used on HF boards, the post should have to come with a disclaimer. Something along the lines of "Viewer Discretion is Strongly Advised" ... anyone who does not adhere to this rule should immediately have to withstand multiple kicks to the groin region.

<snip>

You know I speak with love

candyman82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 12:25 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
Do not wish to be known as Nashville north...
We're already committed to that direction. Deal.

Quote:
Given that what we can realistically give up is defense prospects and the Leafs don't have much use for defense prospects, this conversation is probably DOA. Kulemin is potentially interesting only 'cause he can theoretically play RW, but the prices normally quoted for him and especially MacArthur (who's a LW, which we don't need) are, frankly, obscene.

I want to come up with some way of trying Connolly as a reclamation project on the RW, but can't come up with fair value. (It'd involve sending a Bad Contract back, and that starts making it awkward.)

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 08:15 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
You are of course free to name any area of the offense where we did not suck last year.
Gimme a sec.....

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 08:16 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizoncol View Post
You messed up the stats again.
Actually Carter led the team with 8 PP goals last year.
gimme a break.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 10:29 AM
FANonymous

Quote:
We're already committed to that direction.
Which is exactly my problem. It's a direction that has at best shown marginal success and we don't even have the all star caliber goalie to make it work.

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:24 AM
bizzz*

Quote:
You are of course free to name any area of the offense where we did not suck last year.
Surprisingly the Jackets were the top-10 team in PP goal scored. They were 16th in goals scored in the 1st period and 17th in goals scored in the 2nd period (which means they didn't really suck).
The Jackets were dead last is shots ratio, they were badly out-shot by opponents. Our defensive game has to be way better this year.

bizzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 12:59 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
<snip>

That's a first. Honestly, I wish this happened more on other teams' boards also; nothing like giving them a professional, unbiased prospect evaluation, only to be berated for being a fan of another team.

In essence, no thanks on the Leafs trade

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 01:11 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Which is exactly my problem. It's a direction that has at best shown marginal success and we don't even have the all star caliber goalie to make it work.
Nashville made it work repeatedly well before Pekka Rinne.

And are you seriously saying that you'd prefer the current state of hell to regularly making the playoffs?

Old
08-06-2012, 01:55 PM
cslebn

As opposed to trying to sell part of the farm for Ryan or making a sideways (at best) trade like the leafs one above*, who do CBJ fans see the team potentially targeting that could make an offensive improvement?

Personally, I think we might be able to pry loose someone like a Ryder from Dal, Williams from LA, Okposo from NYI, or Sykora.

*Note, TinTin provided too much stability and will be replied on heavily next year. I don't think Tyutin becomes available until Nik has messed with others and the young guns have proven more (Moore, Savard, Erixon, Murray).

Last edited by cslebn: 08-06-2012 at 02:03 PM.
cslebn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Rookie User

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Nashville made it work repeatedly well before Pekka Rinne.

And are you seriously saying that you'd prefer the current state of hell to regularly making the playoffs?
Not winning a playoff series passes for doing well now a days?

08-06-2012, 02:02 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
As opposed to only being in the playoffs once, I would say yes. You can't lose 'em if you don't get in.

EspenK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 02:08 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
How about "making the playoffs with 100 regular season points or more"? Would that be preferred instead?

Y'know, that sounds too much like work. Let's just stick to our 25th-place finishes.

Old
08-06-2012, 04:14 PM
Tyler Biggs*
Go Leafs Go!

Quote:
We're already committed to that direction. Deal.

Given that what we can realistically give up is defense prospects and the Leafs don't have much use for defense prospects, this conversation is probably DOA. Kulemin is potentially interesting only 'cause he can theoretically play RW, but the prices normally quoted for him and especially MacArthur (who's a LW, which we don't need) are, frankly, obscene.

I want to come up with some way of trying Connolly as a reclamation project on the RW, but can't come up with fair value. (It'd involve sending a Bad Contract back, and that starts making it awkward.)
Well if you do figure out a proposal let me know.

Tyler Biggs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 04:54 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Exactly. It would be nice to be in the playoffs but the ultimate goal should always be to compete for the stanley cup. Do we really want to model our franchise after one that hasn't even come close simply because they've been marginally better than us?

Sounds like a bad idea to me.

We should be aiming for the top, not aiming for the middle.

Old
08-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Rookie User

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
How about "making the playoffs with 100 regular season points or more"? Would that be preferred instead?

Y'know, that sounds too much like work. Let's just stick to our 25th-place finishes.
Aren't you the fallacy lady? Why post this obvious of a red herring, especially when it sounds like something that would cause you to start lighting people on fire on the main boards.

Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 05:48 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Aren't you the fallacy lady? Why post this obvious of a red herring, especially when it sounds like something that would cause you to start lighting people on fire on the main boards.
Give a penny, take a penny.

What I find absurd is that there are complaints about a direction that has been demonstrated to be very competitive, even if it hasn't gotten the desired result yet. Winning Cups is hard, y'know - but you lose 100% of the Cups you don't get the opportunity to play for.

We have the option of adding more skill. Heck, with guys like Johansen and Atkinson, we've got a good chance of developing said skill. But having a good competitive base to build off of - particularly one similar to Nashville's - would be a Very Good Thing.

I haven't seen any alternatives offered in this thread, and in the past the only alternatives I've seen suggested are "keep finishing in last and draft high". To which I say, **** that **** - it's even less guaranteed than aspiring to be Nashville North, and results in far less entertaining hockey to watch in the process. The only bonus is that it allows for gambling addicts to feel like they're sure to land on black this time or something.

To hell with trusting to the Entry Gamble. That's the Doug MacLean way. Use it, don't lean on it.

Old
08-06-2012, 06:07 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

For those opposed to the Nashville model...

What model should we use instead? And how, given the realities of the team/organization's current situation, would you employ it headed into the 2012-2013 season?

Old
08-06-2012, 06:08 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Give a penny, take a penny.

What I find absurd is that there are complaints about a direction that has been demonstrated to be very competitive, even if it hasn't gotten the desired result yet. Winning Cups is hard, y'know - but you lose 100% of the Cups you don't get the opportunity to play for.

We have the option of adding more skill. Heck, with guys like Johansen and Atkinson, we've got a good chance of developing said skill. But having a good competitive base to build off of - particularly one similar to Nashville's - would be a Very Good Thing.

I haven't seen any alternatives offered in this thread, and in the past the only alternatives I've seen suggested are "keep finishing in last and draft high". To which I say, **** that **** - it's even less guaranteed than aspiring to be Nashville North, and results in far less entertaining hockey to watch in the process. The only bonus is that it allows for gambling addicts to feel like they're sure to land on black this time or something.

To hell with trusting to the Entry Gamble. That's the Doug MacLean way. Use it, don't lean on it.
Twist it however you want. Winning 2 playoff series in 13 years does not sound like an organization I want to mold myself after. Yes, they have done better than we have, but no one on here should be happy or excited to aim for results of that ilk.

Old
08-06-2012, 06:26 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Twist it however you want. Winning 2 playoff series in 13 years does not sound like an organization I want to mold myself after. Yes, they have done better than we have, but no one on here should be happy or excited to aim for results of that ilk.
I am surprised people feel this way. Poile and Trotz have taken whatever disadvantages have come their way, and made the best they could of the situation. I think the Jackets one decent year was a pretty good impersonation of Nashville.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 07:02 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:

You're a Blue Jackets fan. Beggars can't be choosers.

CBJ can do a WHOLE lot worse than model themselves after Nashville. To me, I'd consider it a good thing. They're like the early 2000s Oakland A's of hockey, which is good for the Preds.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote