HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 CBJ Offseason Part III (Proposals, Speculations, Blog Rumors, etc. go here)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-05-2012, 10:46 PM
  #351
Tyler Biggs*
Go Leafs Go!
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,884
vCash: 500
Scoring To Jackets

Jackets look like they could use some more offense in their lineup, anyone from the Leafs you would want? If so for what?

Tyler Biggs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 10:56 PM
  #352
SuperGenius
Moderator
For Duty & Humanity!
 
SuperGenius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,071
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MintoMadDogsKiller18 View Post
Jackets look like they could use some more offense in their lineup, anyone from the Leafs you would want? If so for what?
Can't really think of anyone on TOR I'd want. CBJ would be better going with a FA or a better trade partner for a 25-30 goal guy. Anyone on TOR that meets the criteria the CBJ need isn't going to be available in the real world.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 11:08 PM
  #353
candyman82
Registered User
 
candyman82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 2,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MintoMadDogsKiller18 View Post
Jackets look like they could use some more offense in their lineup, anyone from the Leafs you would want? If so for what?
Outside of Lupul and Kessel, who I can't see the Leafs giving up, there aren't any scorers that I would want

candyman82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 11:08 PM
  #354
CBJWennberg41
Me when I watch CBJ
 
CBJWennberg41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 16,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MintoMadDogsKiller18 View Post
Jackets look like they could use some more offense in their lineup, anyone from the Leafs you would want? If so for what?
That Fill Castle guy looks good.

CBJWennberg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 11:13 PM
  #355
Sore Loser
HF Partner
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
You can go Carter yourself!
...dude, that hurts my feelings. I mean, here we are, everyone having a light-hearted conversation, and you come along and start throwing down such harsh insults.

In fact, I'm going to throw this out there: Mods, anytime the word "Carter" is used on HF boards, the post should have to come with a disclaimer. Something along the lines of "Viewer Discretion is Strongly Advised" ... anyone who does not adhere to this rule should immediately have to withstand multiple kicks to the groin region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintoMadDogsKiller18 View Post
Jackets look like they could use some more offense in their lineup, anyone from the Leafs you would want? If so for what?
<snip>

mod edit re: be nice to visiting fans


Last edited by SuperGenius: 08-05-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 12:01 AM
  #356
candyman82
Registered User
 
candyman82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 2,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
...dude, that hurts my feelings. I mean, here we are, everyone having a light-hearted conversation, and you come along and start throwing down such harsh insults.

In fact, I'm going to throw this out there: Mods, anytime the word "Carter" is used on HF boards, the post should have to come with a disclaimer. Something along the lines of "Viewer Discretion is Strongly Advised" ... anyone who does not adhere to this rule should immediately have to withstand multiple kicks to the groin region.



<snip>

mod edit re: be nice to visiting fans
You know I speak with love

candyman82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 12:25 AM
  #357
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 23,137
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
Do not wish to be known as Nashville north...
We're already committed to that direction. Deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintoMadDogsKiller18 View Post
Jackets look like they could use some more offense in their lineup, anyone from the Leafs you would want? If so for what?
Given that what we can realistically give up is defense prospects and the Leafs don't have much use for defense prospects, this conversation is probably DOA. Kulemin is potentially interesting only 'cause he can theoretically play RW, but the prices normally quoted for him and especially MacArthur (who's a LW, which we don't need) are, frankly, obscene.

I want to come up with some way of trying Connolly as a reclamation project on the RW, but can't come up with fair value. (It'd involve sending a Bad Contract back, and that starts making it awkward.)

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 08:15 AM
  #358
Nordique
I ain't even mad
 
Nordique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
You are of course free to name any area of the offense where we did not suck last year.
Gimme a sec.....







Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 08:16 AM
  #359
Nordique
I ain't even mad
 
Nordique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizoncol View Post
You messed up the stats again.
Actually Carter led the team with 8 PP goals last year.
gimme a break.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 10:29 AM
  #360
FANonymous
Registered User
 
FANonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
We're already committed to that direction.
Which is exactly my problem. It's a direction that has at best shown marginal success and we don't even have the all star caliber goalie to make it work.

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:24 AM
  #361
bizzz*
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Minsk
Country: Tokelau
Posts: 3,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
You are of course free to name any area of the offense where we did not suck last year.
Surprisingly the Jackets were the top-10 team in PP goal scored. They were 16th in goals scored in the 1st period and 17th in goals scored in the 2nd period (which means they didn't really suck).
The Jackets were dead last is shots ratio, they were badly out-shot by opponents. Our defensive game has to be way better this year.

bizzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 12:59 PM
  #362
Sore Loser
HF Partner
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
<snip>

mod edit re: be nice to visiting fans
That's a first. Honestly, I wish this happened more on other teams' boards also; nothing like giving them a professional, unbiased prospect evaluation, only to be berated for being a fan of another team.

In essence, no thanks on the Leafs trade

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 01:11 PM
  #363
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 23,137
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
Which is exactly my problem. It's a direction that has at best shown marginal success and we don't even have the all star caliber goalie to make it work.
Nashville made it work repeatedly well before Pekka Rinne.

And are you seriously saying that you'd prefer the current state of hell to regularly making the playoffs?

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 01:55 PM
  #364
cslebn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 756
vCash: 500
As opposed to trying to sell part of the farm for Ryan or making a sideways (at best) trade like the leafs one above*, who do CBJ fans see the team potentially targeting that could make an offensive improvement?

Personally, I think we might be able to pry loose someone like a Ryder from Dal, Williams from LA, Okposo from NYI, or Sykora.

*Note, TinTin provided too much stability and will be replied on heavily next year. I don't think Tyutin becomes available until Nik has messed with others and the young guns have proven more (Moore, Savard, Erixon, Murray).


Last edited by cslebn: 08-06-2012 at 02:03 PM.
cslebn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 01:57 PM
  #365
Samkow
Global Moderator
Rookie User
 
Samkow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Detroit
Country: United States
Posts: 14,903
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Nashville made it work repeatedly well before Pekka Rinne.

And are you seriously saying that you'd prefer the current state of hell to regularly making the playoffs?
Not winning a playoff series passes for doing well now a days?

__________________
Truth should never get in the way of a good persecution complex.
Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 02:02 PM
  #366
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 7,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Not winning a playoff series passes for doing well now a days?
As opposed to only being in the playoffs once, I would say yes. You can't lose 'em if you don't get in.

EspenK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 02:08 PM
  #367
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 23,137
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Not winning a playoff series passes for doing well now a days?
How about "making the playoffs with 100 regular season points or more"? Would that be preferred instead?

Y'know, that sounds too much like work. Let's just stick to our 25th-place finishes.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 04:14 PM
  #368
Tyler Biggs*
Go Leafs Go!
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
We're already committed to that direction. Deal.



Given that what we can realistically give up is defense prospects and the Leafs don't have much use for defense prospects, this conversation is probably DOA. Kulemin is potentially interesting only 'cause he can theoretically play RW, but the prices normally quoted for him and especially MacArthur (who's a LW, which we don't need) are, frankly, obscene.

I want to come up with some way of trying Connolly as a reclamation project on the RW, but can't come up with fair value. (It'd involve sending a Bad Contract back, and that starts making it awkward.)
Well if you do figure out a proposal let me know.

Tyler Biggs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 04:54 PM
  #369
FANonymous
Registered User
 
FANonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Not winning a playoff series passes for doing well now a days?
Exactly. It would be nice to be in the playoffs but the ultimate goal should always be to compete for the stanley cup. Do we really want to model our franchise after one that hasn't even come close simply because they've been marginally better than us?

Sounds like a bad idea to me.

We should be aiming for the top, not aiming for the middle.

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 04:59 PM
  #370
Samkow
Global Moderator
Rookie User
 
Samkow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Detroit
Country: United States
Posts: 14,903
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
How about "making the playoffs with 100 regular season points or more"? Would that be preferred instead?

Y'know, that sounds too much like work. Let's just stick to our 25th-place finishes.
Aren't you the fallacy lady? Why post this obvious of a red herring, especially when it sounds like something that would cause you to start lighting people on fire on the main boards.

Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 05:48 PM
  #371
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 23,137
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Aren't you the fallacy lady? Why post this obvious of a red herring, especially when it sounds like something that would cause you to start lighting people on fire on the main boards.
Give a penny, take a penny.

What I find absurd is that there are complaints about a direction that has been demonstrated to be very competitive, even if it hasn't gotten the desired result yet. Winning Cups is hard, y'know - but you lose 100% of the Cups you don't get the opportunity to play for.

We have the option of adding more skill. Heck, with guys like Johansen and Atkinson, we've got a good chance of developing said skill. But having a good competitive base to build off of - particularly one similar to Nashville's - would be a Very Good Thing.

I haven't seen any alternatives offered in this thread, and in the past the only alternatives I've seen suggested are "keep finishing in last and draft high". To which I say, **** that **** - it's even less guaranteed than aspiring to be Nashville North, and results in far less entertaining hockey to watch in the process. The only bonus is that it allows for gambling addicts to feel like they're sure to land on black this time or something.

To hell with trusting to the Entry Gamble. That's the Doug MacLean way. Use it, don't lean on it.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 06:07 PM
  #372
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Semirural Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 19,164
vCash: 500
For those opposed to the Nashville model...

What model should we use instead? And how, given the realities of the team/organization's current situation, would you employ it headed into the 2012-2013 season?

__________________
"Every game, every point is a necessity." -- Ty Conklin, January 2007
"I'll have a chance to compete for the post of first issue. This is the most important thing." -- Sergei Bobrovsky, June 2012
Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 06:08 PM
  #373
FANonymous
Registered User
 
FANonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Give a penny, take a penny.

What I find absurd is that there are complaints about a direction that has been demonstrated to be very competitive, even if it hasn't gotten the desired result yet. Winning Cups is hard, y'know - but you lose 100% of the Cups you don't get the opportunity to play for.

We have the option of adding more skill. Heck, with guys like Johansen and Atkinson, we've got a good chance of developing said skill. But having a good competitive base to build off of - particularly one similar to Nashville's - would be a Very Good Thing.

I haven't seen any alternatives offered in this thread, and in the past the only alternatives I've seen suggested are "keep finishing in last and draft high". To which I say, **** that **** - it's even less guaranteed than aspiring to be Nashville North, and results in far less entertaining hockey to watch in the process. The only bonus is that it allows for gambling addicts to feel like they're sure to land on black this time or something.

To hell with trusting to the Entry Gamble. That's the Doug MacLean way. Use it, don't lean on it.
Twist it however you want. Winning 2 playoff series in 13 years does not sound like an organization I want to mold myself after. Yes, they have done better than we have, but no one on here should be happy or excited to aim for results of that ilk.

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 06:26 PM
  #374
TaketheCannoli
RIP
 
TaketheCannoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 8,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
Twist it however you want. Winning 2 playoff series in 13 years does not sound like an organization I want to mold myself after. Yes, they have done better than we have, but no one on here should be happy or excited to aim for results of that ilk.
I am surprised people feel this way. Poile and Trotz have taken whatever disadvantages have come their way, and made the best they could of the situation. I think the Jackets one decent year was a pretty good impersonation of Nashville.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 07:02 PM
  #375
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey
 
Timeless Winter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 16,117
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
Twist it however you want. Winning 2 playoff series in 13 years does not sound like an organization I want to mold myself after. Yes, they have done better than we have, but no one on here should be happy or excited to aim for results of that ilk.

You're a Blue Jackets fan. Beggars can't be choosers.



CBJ can do a WHOLE lot worse than model themselves after Nashville. To me, I'd consider it a good thing. They're like the early 2000s Oakland A's of hockey, which is good for the Preds.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.