HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sandpaper on every line?

Old
08-01-2012, 08:59 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I look at the current personnel and what people do well, it's hard to see someone who screams "sit me". Gerbe and Kaleta are strong d-zone guys who bring their own hardwork and physical play. Leino? I can't see them sitting him. McCormick is around to provide some of the knucklechucking... take him out and it's just a case of Scott getting ALL of the work and no one to really back him up.
If Leino is poo again is there any way we get rid of him... Beyond the cap hit he just doesn't fit a lot of places.....

I think he should get a 20 game look on wing on a top line if they intend to salvage him

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:23 PM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
If Leino is poo again is there any way we get rid of him... Beyond the cap hit he just doesn't fit a lot of places.....

I think he should get a 20 game look on wing on a top line if they intend to salvage him
I'm hoping he bounces back, but if not...
Any cap floor teams need help?
Or get regier to call up jay feaster and tell him we have a top 6 center signed on a nice $4.5/yr deal for 5 years and he'll totally outperform his contract

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Visions of the Nolan era (1995-97) are sure to be rekindled, when the Sabres had more than their share of agitators / brawlers (Ray, May, Barnaby, Peca, Boughner, McKee, Burridge, Grosek). Even less-abrasive characters like Zhitnik, Galley and Shannon were inspired to 100+ in PIMs.

Those were some really fun games to watch. I remember a 1996 game against Pittsburgh, where Buffalo went up 3-0, then Pittsburgh came back to tie, and then Buffalo went back up and won 6-3. LaFontaine had a pair of goals, and it was a physical game. At one point Buffalo had 3-4 players in the box, if I remember correctly, and Peca was all over the place, playing really physical.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Visions of the Nolan era (1995-97) are sure to be rekindled, when the Sabres had more than their share of agitators / brawlers (Ray, May, Barnaby, Peca, Boughner, McKee, Burridge, Grosek). Even less-abrasive characters like Zhitnik, Galley and Shannon were inspired to 100+ in PIMs.
More of the Muckler-built teams. The guy liked physical hockey.

08-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

I really liked Grosek.

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 12:14 AM
The Real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
I really liked Grosek.
He never turned out to be the player I thought he'd become.

The Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 12:16 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
More of the Muckler-built teams. The guy liked physical hockey.
True, as did Nolan - the "working class" persona that he embraced certainly applied to those teams.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 12:17 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real View Post
He never turned out to be the player I thought he'd become.
Luckily, that didn't become obvious until Darcy swindled Mike Smith of the Hawks...

Old
08-02-2012, 01:14 AM
Taro Tsujimoto
2 Sam(my)s, 1 avatar

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Taro Tsujimoto
Quote:
Ah yes, The Hardest Working Team in Hockey.

Taro Tsujimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 01:52 AM
McTank

Cant wait to play our rivals, especially boston

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 05:03 AM
Tra La La

With the Current Roster it's unrealistic. The Top 6 forwards are mostly set. Vanek,Pominville,Ennis,Stafford,Hodgson.... Foligno is likely to be the only sand in the top 6.

I don't expect McCormick to last long, he really should stop fighting because of the concussions. But He won't ........

Still the team has a lot more toughness then 2-3 years ago.

Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 09:18 AM
Husko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
With the Current Roster it's unrealistic. The Top 6 forwards are mostly set. Vanek,Pominville,Ennis,Stafford,Hodgson.... Foligno is likely to be the only sand in the top 6.

I don't expect McCormick to last long, he really should stop fighting because of the concussions. But He won't ........

Still the team has a lot more toughness then 2-3 years ago.
Ott could lay in the top six. . .

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 09:57 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Every NHL team wants to be known as one that's tough to play against. With the acquisition of Steve Ott from the Dallas Stars during the summer, the previously pleasant Buffalo Sabres may have achieved that goal.

The Sabres have been known for years as a team that had plenty of skill but was a little short in the grit department. Ott, in contrast, is about as much fun to play against as an angry porcupine; he seems to take great pride in being hated around the League. He'll do anything necessary to win, and he'll step in if he thinks opponents are taking liberties with a teammate -- the Milan Lucic-Ryan Miller incident last season likely would have had a different outcome if Ott had been with the Sabres at the time.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=638959

Old
08-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Sabresfansince1980

I like that Ott will appear to gain the most attention as the tough guy or agitator, while Foligno modestly intimidates or runs people over on a nightly basis.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:36 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
I like that Ott will appear to gain the most attention as the tough guy or agitator, while Foligno modestly intimidates or runs people over on a nightly basis.
I'm not quite following your point.

Foligno will have to do the heavy lifting physically for his line if he is with Ennis/Stafford. Unless Ott ends up on his line, he will have no bearing on that.

If Ott has an impact on anyone it would be Kaleta.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 12:08 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

looking forward to seeing Adam Pardy in the blue and gold.

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 04:23 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I'm not quite following your point.

Foligno will have to do the heavy lifting physically for his line if he is with Ennis/Stafford. Unless Ott ends up on his line, he will have no bearing on that.

If Ott has an impact on anyone it would be Kaleta.
If players on the other team get distracted and make a point to go after someone with cheap shots and such, it will likely be Ott (and Kaleta) that gain the extra attention over the course of an entire game. Foligno can/will be a hard hitting bruiser but probably won't get as much retaliatory reaction in general, not if the other team gets more worked up over the other two guys.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 05:09 PM
umbertovanek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpressedDAHagent View Post
looking forward to seeing Adam Pardy in the blue and gold.
Care to elaborate?

I honestly don't know much about Pardy, but he seems like your generic 3rd pairing depth player, who's on a little too big a contract for my taste.

I even suspected him to be a cap dump (which, if true, would cast a rather unflattering light on Derek Roy's trade value.)

But I'm curious if you think he can bring something needed to the table for this team (more grit on the blue line, maybe?) .

umbertovanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 09:17 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
If players on the other team get distracted and make a point to go after someone with cheap shots and such, it will likely be Ott (and Kaleta) that gain the extra attention over the course of an entire game. Foligno can/will be a hard hitting bruiser but probably won't get as much retaliatory reaction in general, not if the other team gets more worked up over the other two guys.
Marcus has shown a willingness to stick his nose in when his linemates are getting a rough time of things. He'll draw his own share of attention, both through the hits he throws and the guys he'll be tangling with to protect his 'mates.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 11:28 PM
Der Jaeger

I wonder how Regier is going to proceed from the current lineup with the "sandpaper" approach. I'm not sure how it's going to work out, short-term and long-term, because almost all of Buffalo's players are skilled or "sandpaper" types... and except for Girgensons, there are almost mutually exclusive categories for the current roster.

The general idea is to have at least one "sandpaper" guy on every line.

Sandpaper guys
- Foligno
- Ott
- Tropp
- Kaleta
- McCormick
- Scott
- Girgensons (eventually)
- Kea (eventually)

Scorers and playmakers
- Ennis
- Hodgson
- Pominville
- Vanek
- Stafford (can be "sandpaper" guy)
- Leino
- Gerbe (lack of "sandpaper" size)
- Grigorenko (eventually)
- Armia (eventually)
- Adam (eventually-maybe)

If we look at 2012-13, it works out, with Ruff being able to create an entire 4th line of gritty players by putting Scott in for Gerbe:

Foligno - Ennis - Stafford
Vanek - Hodgson - Tropp
Leino - Ott - Pominville
Gerbe - McCormick - Kaleta
Scott

What happens in 2013-14? That's when Grigorenko, Girgensons, and Armia come up (don't fixate on the line combo, just the way the "sandpaper" can be arranged).

Vanek - Hodgson - Tropp
Ott - Grigorenko - Pominville
Leino - Girgensons - Armia
Gerbe - Kaleta

Either Regier and Ruff have plans on rolling four lines, or he needs to make some quantity for quality trades that bring back forwards that combine skill and grit. As the future plays out, Buffalo's forward group has too many players that are either skilled or gritty, but not both.

The other option is just to play that out, and not resign Vanek, Ott, and Pominville, after which the team looks like this:

2014-2015:

Girgensons - Hodgson - Armia
Leino - Grigorenko - Tropp
Gerbe - Kea - Kaleta

Sort of works out in the long run, but that's only if all the youth pans out.

I have to think Regier sees this and desires to bring on Bobby Ryan / Corey Perry types that combine both traits by moving quantity, if he can.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 04:30 AM
Tra La La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
I wonder how Regier is going to proceed from the current lineup with the "sandpaper" approach. I'm not sure how it's going to work out, short-term and long-term, because almost all of Buffalo's players are skilled or "sandpaper" types... and except for Girgensons, there are almost mutually exclusive categories for the current roster.

The general idea is to have at least one "sandpaper" guy on every line.

Sandpaper guys
- Foligno
- Ott
- Tropp
- Kaleta
- McCormick
- Scott
- Girgensons (eventually)
- Kea (eventually)

Scorers and playmakers
- Ennis
- Hodgson
- Pominville
- Vanek
- Stafford (can be "sandpaper" guy)
- Leino
- Gerbe (lack of "sandpaper" size)
- Grigorenko (eventually)
- Armia (eventually)
- Adam (eventually-maybe)

If we look at 2012-13, it works out, with Ruff being able to create an entire 4th line of gritty players by putting Scott in for Gerbe:

Vanek - Hodgson - Tropp
Leino - Ott - Pominville
Gerbe - McCormick - Kaleta
Scott

What happens in 2013-14? That's when Grigorenko, Girgensons, and Armia come up (don't fixate on the line combo, just the way the "sandpaper" can be arranged).

Vanek - Hodgson - Tropp
Ott - Grigorenko - Pominville
Leino - Girgensons - Armia
Gerbe - Kaleta

Either Regier and Ruff have plans on rolling four lines, or he needs to make some quantity for quality trades that bring back forwards that combine skill and grit. As the future plays out, Buffalo's forward group has too many players that are either skilled or gritty, but not both.

The other option is just to play that out, and not resign Vanek, Ott, and Pominville, after which the team looks like this:

2014-2015:

Girgensons - Hodgson - Armia
Leino - Grigorenko - Tropp
Gerbe - Kea - Kaleta

Sort of works out in the long run, but that's only if all the youth pans out.

I have to think Regier sees this and desires to bring on Bobby Ryan / Corey Perry types that combine both traits by moving quantity, if he can.
2013-14 looks great.High Hopes for that team.

2014-15 not so much. If they could get Vanek and Pominville signed.Or Pick up a young high skill winger.

Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 07:14 PM
joshjull

Quote:
As Chain pointed out, Foligno will draw the ire of opponents based on his own hard edged play and he will also get involved to defend his teammates. I don't see Ott or Kaleta having much bearing on how much attention Foligno will draw.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote