HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oel

Old
08-04-2012, 11:36 PM
Devilspuppet666

vCash: 500
Oel

Just curious on what people that have seen him more than 5 times a year think of him... i a huge fan of what i saw when i did see him, so what do you guys expect him to be:

1) next year
2) 5 years down the road
3) at the peek of his career

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 11:50 PM
Redcoyote
Hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilspuppet666 View Post
Just curious on what people that have seen him more than 5 times a year think of him... i a huge fan of what i saw when i did see him, so what do you guys expect him to be:

1) next year
2) 5 years down the road
1. Best Phoenix defenseman on a team with Yandle, Michalek and Klesla
2. Top Ten NHL Defenseman
3. Norris Trophy finalist

Redcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 01:21 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

1. Most effective player on the team
2. Arguably one of the most effective blueliners in the game
3. One of the most effective blueliners in the game

08-05-2012, 04:01 AM
2yotesfans88

Quote:

1) next year
2) 5 years down the road
as a huge OEL fan im partial. i had high expectations for him this last season and he blew those out of the water. You have to respect the maturity of his game. last season he had to get used to the speed of the nhl game the smaller ice surface. most impressive isnt his 13 goals...its his confidence moving the puck under heavy pressure. the kid has hands, he has a fairly hard shot and hes strong in his own zone. not surprising he lead the team in ice time during the playoffs. but he fits in the tippet system perfectly because he plays smart. how many times did we see jovo get burned jumping into a play when he didnt have a person to cover? you rarely see that from 20 OEL. and i think that wins over tippet. he doesnt take stupid chances.

1---next season. team MVP but still underrated by most of the NHL.
2---5 years from today he will be 26yo. and getting PAID. sure next season he will sign a nice contract but by the time hes 26...could be a multi year allstar. break several team records...ie most goals in a season by a phx d man.
3--hopefully still in phoenix

going back to his draft Victor hedman was picked 2nd overall. he has yet to score more than 5 goals in a season. i think 23 points. and OEL in his first full season has 13 goals 32 pts. the only media person who really cheered phoenix's pick of OEL was Craig Button on tsn. Victor has great skills but i think during the draft year he was more lauded because of his size. at 6'6 you look at him and think...Pronger.

2yotesfans88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 04:12 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2yotesfans88 View Post
the only media person who really cheered phoenix's pick of OEL was Craig Button on tsn.
Actually if I remember right Pierre McGuire made mention that OEL could be the best defenseman in the draft and McKenzie called him the best 2 way D man in the draft.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 02:18 PM
AZviaNJ
@AZviaNJviaNY

Quote:

1) next year
2) 5 years down the road
1). Best player on the team and an all-star
2). Top 5 D-man in the league
3). Best D-man in the league

AZviaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 02:40 PM
kihekah19

One two three hee

This is what mine eyes see

Four five six seven

One hell of a defensemen

Skip the rope

Jump the tree

Win the game

Look at Ollie!

kihekah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 07:54 PM
AZcoyotes33

1) Best defenseman on the Yotes. In Norris discussion (not finalist)
2) Will have at least one Norris trophy.
3) A few Norris trophies and talked about as a future Hall of Famer.

Some might think this prediction is a tall order, but anyone who has seen OEL play more than just a handful of games knows the kind of potential this kid has. He is gifted.

AZcoyotes33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 11:48 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcoyotes33 View Post
1) Best defenseman on the Yotes. In Norris discussion (not finalist)
2) Will have at least one Norris trophy.
3) A few Norris trophies and talked about as a future Hall of Famer.

Some might think this prediction is a tall order, but anyone who has seen OEL play more than just a handful of games knows the kind of potential this kid has. He is gifted.
I've seen nearly all of his NHL games and one amateur tournament, and I still say those predictions are crazy.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 12:51 AM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

1. Continued development in both ends. OEL teams with Z. on the first pairing and hits 40 points bare minimum. Certainly capable of 50+ though.
2. Top 10 d-man + Norris finalist at least once (wouldn't be surprised if actually won the damn thing). Hopefully still in Phoenix with a large and long contract.
3. Top 5 d-man + winner of multiple Norris trophies. Facial hair finally looks good on him.

IPreferPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 01:05 AM
Mosby
Howl On

Where would you guys place OEL to Yandle? Who's having the better year next season (statistically)? Or has OEL already surpassed Yandle?

Mosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 01:22 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Mosby View Post
Where would you guys place OEL to Yandle? Who's having the better year next season (statistically)? Or has OEL already surpassed Yandle?
I expect Yandle to bounce back from what I'd consider an "off" year last season. That said, I expect OEL to improve, as well. I'm guessing it's neck and neck with Yandle having the more dramatic, dynamic, flashy offensive game and OEL being the all around more solid, effective D.

Old
08-06-2012, 01:27 AM
DesertDawg

I see Yandle having more points overall, but I'm also guessing that Oliver will net ~ 20 goals!
The homer in me says Yandle will have a career season with 60+ points!
but it all depends what the roster looks like, they can't do it alone.

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 06:04 PM
YotesFan47

1) Next year I think he will kind of maintain his current play. Wont regress but wont wont really look like he is taking steps forward either. Still easily a top 3 defender on the Yotes.

2) The next 5 years is where he will really grow and mature as an NHL player, I see him averaging around 40-50 points a game and shining as a 2-way defender.

3) Well, its his peak and I wont say he is going to look like Lindstrom but I could certainly see him being recognized as a step down version. I hope he even surpasses Lindy in his ability on and off the ice, character, and leadership but I wont be disappointed if he doesnt. Assuming he is still a Coyote then its going to be a very exciting time to watch him play, a time where I could see multiple Norris Trophy finalist appearances and maybe a few where he actually wins it.

Overall this kids going to be a stud, if not sooner I think in 5 years he will consistently be a top 15 blue-liner in the league.

YotesFan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
My two cents:
They are solid defenseman on both sides of the puck with Yandle being more effective offensively and OEL being more effective defensively. Yandle plays with passion and uses his speed and vision to make plays while OEL is the "ice in his veins" type of cerebral player that uses stick work and superior positioning to make plays.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 09:19 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotesFan47 View Post
1) Next year I think he will kind of maintain his current play. Wont regress but wont wont really look like he is taking steps forward either. Still easily a top 3 defender on the Yotes.

2) The next 5 years is where he will really grow and mature as an NHL player, I see him averaging around 40-50 points a game and shining as a 2-way defender.

3) Well, its his peak and I wont say he is going to look like Lindstrom but I could certainly see him being recognized as a step down version. I hope he even surpasses Lindy in his ability on and off the ice, character, and leadership but I wont be disappointed if he doesnt. Assuming he is still a Coyote then its going to be a very exciting time to watch him play, a time where I could see multiple Norris Trophy finalist appearances and maybe a few where he actually wins it.

Overall this kids going to be a stud, if not sooner I think in 5 years he will consistently be a top 15 blue-liner in the league.
Mother of God..

Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:05 AM
PPD7952

Send a message via AIM to PPD7952 Send a message via MSN to PPD7952 Send a message via Yahoo to PPD7952
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I've seen nearly all of his NHL games and one amateur tournament, and I still say those predictions are crazy.
a little lofty maybe, but his play is a lot more impressive in person. uh, humph.... if more posters on here actually went to games.

PPD7952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:21 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPD7952 View Post
a little lofty maybe, but his play is a lot more impressive in person. uh, humph.... if more posters on here actually went to games.
Where are your seats?

Old
08-07-2012, 01:27 AM
PPD7952

Send a message via AIM to PPD7952 Send a message via MSN to PPD7952 Send a message via Yahoo to PPD7952
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Where are your seats?
lower level...center ice

PPD7952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:33 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPD7952 View Post
lower level...center ice
Pretty high up or pretty low down?

Old
08-07-2012, 02:46 PM
DirtyOldMan
Yotes still in AZ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihekah19 View Post
One two three hee
This is what mine eyes see...
Is that the peek of your career?

DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Oel is officially the coolest nickname ever. That is all.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:50 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Just watched the game vs the Jackets. I've always been high on him and expect him to be a top 5 D sooner rather than later. And this game made me believe it's very soon.

The limit is the sky for the kid and I can certainly see a team throwing butloads of money at him if he's not extended by the time he's an RFA. Would you take the 4 1sts (Anything lower than that and he has to be signed no matter) or for how much would he be matched ?

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:34 PM
zz

Quote:
Statistically? It really depends what you're looking at. Yandle might get more opportunities on the PP, which may lead to more points on the stats sheet. But Ekman Larsson is already a better all-around defenseman. Last game he was on the ice for 25 minutes; Yandle 19. When the game's on the line, with 2 minutes left, OEL is the guy you want. He's calm and makes very few mistakes.

Yandle is more of a gambler, similar to Jovanovski but without the physical edge. He'll have his share of brain farts and turnovers but he's got a nose for the puck in the offensive zone. He'll jump in often and make something happen (well, when he's at the top of his game).

Ekman Larsson is more of a Lidstrom-type player. Discreet, smart, calm with the puck, but doesn't necessarily go for the risky play that'll compromise his positioning. For instance, Yandle always has to be paired with someone who can cover his ass (like a Morris, Michalek or Klesla). No need for that with OEL.

Both are very good, but difficult to compare.

EDIT: oh yeah, and Ekman Larsson can actually throw a hit and fend for himself when things get rough. Yandle? Not so much.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:32 PM
cobra427

Yandle might get more points then OEL, but he takes way more chances jumping into the play, had more turnovers, has to have DMO cover his mistakes, etc.... After last nights game, I am hoping OEL jumps into the play more, as I think he is a pure scoring player. I say that because, on both goals, he had a good look and placed both shots perfectly. Other Coyotes I would say in the same category are Vrbata, Bodker, Sully...If they turn OEL loose a little, or as he gains more confidence, who knows how many points he could have. I also hope Yandle can turn the puck over less and be a little smarter on when to jump in the play too.

It should be fun to watch. I also enjoy this board and all the insights and perspectives, you can't get anywhere else, thanks guys for that

cobra427 is offline   Reply With Quote