HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hockey cards

Closed Thread

Old
08-05-2012, 09:50 PM
SadStumpy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
Supply and demand...

For supply, that's simple, the card company will make cards in different rarities for all sorts of reasons.

Demand is where things get complicated...obvoiously top players are worth a lot. Autographs and pieces of game used jerseys... Usually the focus is on rookie cards, the first year the player appears on a card. And there are variations and exceptions for everything. Card design is also important as people will collect cards that look nice or have an appealing design. Plus one thing that most people always forget is that tradition in sets is very important. If the same set comes out every year then people will be more confident about the card's in that set value as there will be built in demand from collectors chasing those cards every year. Upper Deck's Young Guns set is the best example of this.

How cards get extremely valuable is when multiple of the above factors are in effect. If the demand comes from multiple factors and then exceeds supply in an obvious way, the card may go up exponentially.
Thank you! That's actually quite interesting!

Quote:
Also, very few sports cards go up in value from the year they're released. The exceptions will be like the hidden gem rookie that took a couple years to mature, like Jeremy Lin in basketball or Erik Karlsson in hockey. The other 99 percent will go down then plateau out in value. One nice thing about hockey cards is of all of the sports generally hockey cards go down very little and thus overall hold their value really well, especially Upper Deck post 2002 and old O Pee Chee cards. This is because these makers' sets have a lot of tradition built in.
I feel like I shot myself in the foot for throwing mine away after moving. I haven't the faintest clue what cards I'd had beside my Hextall one, but having read this thread, I wish I could look back at them now because of:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
I just collected, never thought of them as an investment as a kid. Wouldn't dream of selling them - I'd rather give them to my kid when he's growing up to kick-start his collection. Gives me a nice bit of nostalgia and I can look over them and remember all the random players who've passed through the league that I've since forgotten even existed.
This!

Even today, I think back to random players. Sometimes I struggle to remember the names of players on random rosters of random teams. I think I might start buying cards again for the aforementioned nostalgia. It would be so helpful with remembering an incident from a particular game if I could look back at a card and tell me unborn son that "this guy was an *******."

Old
08-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Bruise Bros 2426

I've got north of 7,000. Been collecting since the early 2000's.

Old
08-06-2012, 12:25 AM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
From 1990-1992 I collected hockey cards, they got to expensive for me so I quit buying them. One piece of advice is to keep them in good condition so that in 25-30 years you can get some money for them.
I started collecting as a kid in the early '90s (Pro Set, Upper Deck, Score). Invested around 1000$. Now, if I sell all the cards that I have on eBay, I probably get 100$. I'm still looking for that Stanley Cup Hologram Pro-set card lol.

Old
08-06-2012, 01:14 AM
Frank Garrett

Who the **** is Orlov?

Old
08-06-2012, 01:19 AM
Grannys

Favorite card in my collection:

Old
08-06-2012, 02:35 AM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Hockey cards, especially those made by Upper Deck, really marked the times well the last 20+ years. For some reason UD has always treated this sport as special.

Old
08-06-2012, 02:36 AM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
I started collecting as a kid in the early '90s (Pro Set, Upper Deck, Score). Invested around 1000$. Now, if I sell all the cards that I have on eBay, I probably get 100$. I'm still looking for that Stanley Cup Hologram Pro-set card lol.
I picked one up off eBay a few years back...a slightly off-condition copy cost me $150...that card still goes for money...so do all of the super-hits from back then.

Old
08-06-2012, 02:42 AM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by outerone View Post
Favorite card in my collection:

This is part of what I'm talking about...this card is a 91-92 Upper Deck card of Selanne before he even played a game in the NHL...it's a picture of him two years before. It would be another season and a half before the other companies had him on a card. UD was way first. Same goes for the majority of elite 90s rookies...UD was first.

Old
08-06-2012, 03:10 AM
211*

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
Correct grammar, however, is worth its weight in gold.
i am pretty well off financially, the last thing i am worrying about is grammar on a fan site

Old
08-06-2012, 03:37 AM
Bougieman

Quote:
hahaha awesome

Old
08-06-2012, 03:42 AM
Bougieman

My fave hockey card, mostly because of how bizarre it is. (Plus: Bure is a BOSS)

Oddly enough, it's from the same set as the Selanne card above.

Old
08-06-2012, 03:46 AM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
I just bought an upper deck series 2 tin and think I got a pretty good tin. I was wondering if anyone else has baught a UD tin and what was in it. Here are the highlights from mine:

UD Canvas Young guns Colin Greening

Dmitry Orlov Young guns

Lennart Petrell rookie

Ryan Ellis Young Guns

Alexei Emelin Rookie

Gabriel landeskog rookie

Zack kassian rookie

Gustav Nyquist young guns

Brendon Saad rookie

Jean Beliveau hockey heroes

Jaromir Jagr UD canvas

Kassian OPC retro

Vanek UD Canvas

Weiss UD Canvas

Mike Green Canvas

So what do you think? I thought it was pretty good. have you guys ever gotten a good UD tin?

Edit- Forgot to mention I got a blown up Taylor Hall
As for the OPs original question, your best card is the Kassian OPC Retro and the Greening UD Canvas YG. I think you should try another tin as this one's a below average one. I've opened about 10 of these and there are a lot of cards you can get...your best card should be something of RNH or an autograph or jersey is possible too. I'll go get some tins later this week and post the results as well.

Old
08-06-2012, 03:48 AM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bougieman View Post
My fave hockey card, mostly because of how bizarre it is. (Plus: Bure is a BOSS)

Oddly enough, it's from the same set as the Selanne card above.
Not odd at all...those first two UD sets are BOSS. If I listed every significant card from both sets the list would be a hundred cards long.

Old
08-06-2012, 03:53 AM
Bougieman

Agreed!

There is another card from that UD set I also REALLY love, but I can't remember who it is for. It's a player jumping over the boards, shot from ice level! Really unusual angle, and very unique card. Don't want to go down to my storage locker and get my cards to find out, so I'm hoping someone knows the card I'm talking about.

Thought it might be a Nelson Emerson, but google image search doesn't show it.

Old
08-06-2012, 04:08 AM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Doug Weight, Steven Rice, Tony Amonte before their first NHL games.

Old
08-06-2012, 04:19 AM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadStumpy View Post
Alright, I'm curious.... how the hell does a card accrue value? What makes one worth anything at any point? Are limited quantities of desirable players' cards produced to create an artificial collectors market? Are most cards in a deck third and fourth line nobodys?

I had my fair share of cards as a kid, but my priorities shifted when Pokemon came out. I can still clearly picture my Ron Hextall "Blocked! Saved! Denied! NO ENTRY!" card. It's holographic-ness reminded me Nine-Tails card. I'd love to see that card again...
The only cards that have any real value are from 1988 and previous. Anything post-88 is too mass-produced to have any real value. The only way collectors can be convinced there is some kind of artificial value of today's cards is to produce "limited edition" gimmick cards. When the gimmick runs its course, there is no longer a market for the card. There is no value except the fictitous value the price guide tells you. If nobody will buy it, the value is bogus.

I have collected cards all my life and became disgusted by the way the business went in the mid to late 90s. Today you can pay $5 for a pack of cards because you have the chance to get a gimmick card with artificial value. That is a complete scam. I buy single cards of players I like and will NEVER pay more than $2 for a card. Most cards I buy are $.25 each. If you pay more than two bucks, you are likely getting sucked in by a gimmick.

Last edited by Ogopogo*: 08-06-2012 at 04:29 AM.
Old
08-06-2012, 04:25 AM
Shawnathon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
I have like, 4000 hockey cards in my closet, mostly from '06-'07 and earlier. Can only imagine what that (coupled with my 3000 Pokemon cards) will be worth in several years.

Looks like a solid haul, though. I'd be happy.
Lol I remember buying special Pokemon cards that were supposed to be worth a fortune 20 years from then when i was a kid and you can buy them for 5 bucks on the Internet now. I feel ripped off.

Old
08-06-2012, 04:34 AM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Augustus Gloo...err Peter Forsberg looks forward to one day playing as the first line center of the Flyers...

Old
08-06-2012, 04:49 AM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bougieman View Post
Agreed!

There is another card from that UD set I also REALLY love, but I can't remember who it is for. It's a player jumping over the boards, shot from ice level! Really unusual angle, and very unique card. Don't want to go down to my storage locker and get my cards to find out, so I'm hoping someone knows the card I'm talking about.

Thought it might be a Nelson Emerson, but google image search doesn't show it.
The 91-92 UD Nelson Emerson is shot from a very low angle in a dark arena where Emerson has a stationary puck sitting in front of him and he's about to shoot it. It's a close-up since the photographer is laying on the ice only a few feet away. I did a search on Nelson Emerson Upper Deck and it showed a few examples.

The 90-91 Ray Bourque card shows him jumping over the boards...striking action shot.

Old
08-06-2012, 04:55 AM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
The only cards that have any real value are from 1988 and previous. Anything post-88 is too mass-produced to have any real value. The only way collectors can be convinced there is some kind of artificial value of today's cards is to produce "limited edition" gimmick cards. When the gimmick runs its course, there is no longer a market for the card. There is no value except the fictitous value the price guide tells you. If nobody will buy it, the value is bogus.

I have collected cards all my life and became disgusted by the way the business went in the mid to late 90s. Today you can pay $5 for a pack of cards because you have the chance to get a gimmick card with artificial value. That is a complete scam. I buy single cards of players I like and will NEVER pay more than $2 for a card. Most cards I buy are $.25 each. If you pay more than two bucks, you are likely getting sucked in by a gimmick.
There is so much fail in this post, so much denial and ignorance, I don't even know where to start. 1988...what a riot, back then cards were at their most primitive and they were the worst cards ever made and printed in the millions.

I can say this...the current era of collecting started in the late 90s and matured in 2002. Since then the hobby has overall pretty much stayed the same with card values holding very well for more than 10 years. I've been a hard core collector of hockey for 20 years and a sports card collector for over 30 years...my collection is one of the best if not the best in Los Angeles.

Old
08-06-2012, 08:25 AM
Puckclektr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post

I agree 100%. The industry is disgusting. Lets take Upper Deck for example. YOu spend $4-6 a pack. The most popular card that most people want are the young gun rookie cards. Well you get one in every four packs. It could take you 4 packs or more to get a rookie. But it doesn't stop there. The amount of rookies in the pack that will never play a game in the NHL or get in a few and become a career AHLer is incredible. You want that Yakapov or Nugent-Hopkins card now. Pay an arm and a leg to get it. Value doesn't really go up on those cards at all. The other players that at one time were expensive like a Andreas Salomonson which was probably $20 at one point are now probably booked at $10, but if you go to sell it you might get a shiny new nickel. The only value those cards have are to the people that collect all the rookies, and trust me, there are not many of them.
I have been to many card shops arounf Canada and the states. YOu want a deal on hockey cards. Save your money and go to the spring or fall expo in Toronto and you will get loads of good deals. I collect many things and find it all there for good prices. sportcardexpo.com

Old
08-06-2012, 08:40 AM
Puckclektr

Quote:
There is so much fail in this post, so much denial and ignorance, I don't even know where to start. 1988...what a riot, back then cards were at their most primitive and they were the worst cards ever made and printed in the millions.

I can say this...the current era of collecting started in the late 90s and matured in 2002. Since then the hobby has overall pretty much stayed the same with card values holding very well for more than 10 years. I've been a hard core collector of hockey for 20 years and a sports card collector for over 30 years...my collection is one of the best if not the best in Los Angeles.
That may be true for Los Angeles, but he is spot on for Toronto anyway. The year when Shanahan and BRett Hull had rookie cards was when it started to pick up. O pee Chee recognized that and overproduced the next year when the Sakic Rookie came out. BUt there was still a demand for the year before because of quantities which is why it was that much more expensive. Then the year after that Upper Deck and Score came in and over produced even more cards, which is why all those cards arent' worth anything. Everyone has them. Then the hobby, or should I say novelty, started to die down and Upper Deck and BAP etc. tried to come up with ways to sell more cards. Autographs were added along with parrallels, sub sets, then jerseys, and short prints etc. INcreasing the demand for certain cards and decreasing the value in base cards. Therefore ruining the hobby for me and many people.

The main reason hockey cards failed is becasue of this. And I was guilty of it.
People joined the hobby as an investment, not becasue they loved to collect cards. It was an exciting way to invest money. Something tangible. But then people realized that the only way you made money off of these was if you owned your own store. Then sports card stores were popping up everywhere. Then the market was saturated and the stores all closed. People realized it wasn't an investment and got out.
In the 50-80's kids got excited when they pulled their favorite player. Not anymore. Now I.m not talking about the five year old who doesnt understand the value when he gets a Crosby card and is all excited and then throws the Yakapov rookie in a box. It is the other way around. There are people who get their favorite player and keep skipping until they find that Grigorenko card and get more excited becasue they just made $45 on that pack of cards. BUt forgetting that it took him 17 packs to get that card. ITs like going to the casino. You are most likely losing youe money, but the odd time you might break even or pull in that big haul. But when you pull in that big haul, how much have you lost in total the previous years?

Old
08-06-2012, 10:02 AM
Mason10
Bacon

I collect because I love collecting them, it just feels great when you get one of your favourite players.

Old
08-06-2012, 11:32 AM
Blitzburgh87*

Quote:

Old
08-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Blitzburgh87*

Sadly cards from the 90's aren't worth ****. I have 2 lemieux rookie cards 3 Crosby rookies 1 ovechkin rookie 1 Sergei federov rookie and a henrik lundqvist rookie

Closed Thread