HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Goalie advices for rookie?

Old
08-06-2012, 02:54 AM
Kesid
The House of Penguin

vCash: 500
Goalie advices for rookie?

Hi everyone,
our amateur team is gonna play in foreign tournament where you had to register your team and players few weeks before the start. Unfortunately one of our goalie is on business trip and the other one just got injured. We tried to add another goalie to our roster, but they didn't allow it. So I've decided to go and give it a shot (or save? ) in the net.

My question is - do you have any advices for me? Is it better to use goalie skates even when I've never skated with them before or should I use my regular skates? I know that the players skates and goalies skates are very different. I would appreciate any help or information.

I used to play as goalie in street hockey or floorball, because I loved it, but this is different story.

Thanks.

Kesid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 07:59 AM
pelts35.com

Definitely do not use player skates just from a protection side alone.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 08:14 AM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
What I can think of right now:
-Trust in your goalie equipment
-Never turn your back to the puck, all your protection is up front
-Do not give up on trying to make a save
-Don't be afraid of the puck, you'd be surprised that being freezing up on shots and whatnot will lead to you being hurt more

Don't really know what else to say

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Kesid
The House of Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Definitely do not use player skates just from a protection side alone.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoytoSakic View Post
What I can think of right now:
-Trust in your goalie equipment
-Never turn your back to the puck, all your protection is up front
-Do not give up on trying to make a save
-Don't be afraid of the puck, you'd be surprised that being freezing up on shots and whatnot will lead to you being hurt more

Don't really know what else to say
Great, thanks for advices!

Anyway do you lace your skates tight?

Old
08-06-2012, 05:11 PM
Propane Nightmares
Spirit Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesid View Post
Anyway do you lace your skates tight?
I leave the top eyelet open, but tie the laces as tight as possible. But that is just what I like.

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 09:24 PM
greyraven8

Goalie skates are an adjustment; for one thing they are a lot flatter and lower to the ice. To start off I wouldn't wander too far from the net - if you try to get back too fast you'll likely end up on your ass. If you can get a pair of goalie skates that fit and you try out a few times at least before the tournament, go with them.

As Red Green would say "keep your stick on the ice". When first playing goal I had the tendency to lift my stick off the ice and not get it down when moving; also lost track of where I was in relation to my net (over covered the short side leaving too much space on the other side). Don't be afraid to yell at or push your own players who are screening you.

Adjust your equipment and move around in it before you get on the ice (how tight the straps on your pads and other equipment is); some minor adjustments can be made on the ice but you usually don't have time for much and unlike other positions you are on the ice the full game.

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:42 AM
ganave

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyraven8 View Post
Adjust your equipment and move around in it before you get on the ice (how tight the straps on your pads and other equipment is); some minor adjustments can be made on the ice but you usually don't have time for much and unlike other positions you are on the ice the full game.
As a new goalie it takes me about 30-45 minutes to get all of my gear on and adjusted. I'm getting faster at it, but there's a ton of tweaking that I do. I tie my goalie skates as tight as possible (Bauer One60s) and walk around a bit before putting on my legpads.

I also have a checklist for packing and what order I put things on.

-thermal pants
-long sleeve compression shirt (I use an easton baseball one)
-ski socks
-skates
-goalie jock
-goalie pants
-knee pads
-leg pads
-throat guard
-chest/arm protector
-goalie jersey
-blocker
-catcher
-helmet
-stick
-waterbottle

ganave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 02:36 PM
CoopALoop

http://www.goaliestore.com/board/index.php

A very good forum boards for everything related to playing in net.

Get used to your gear, practice putting it on and moving around in it at home, and if you can get a rpactice time for your team to really get acustomed to the gear.

Goalie skates are going to be quite an adjustment. I used to play out and was a half decent skater. The second I put on goalie skates, I became bambi.

Good luck, don't get too hard on yourself for goals allowed. They're going to happen and the only thing you can do is forget about them. Don't think too far ahead, play each shot for what it is. A shot. That brief moment in time is the only thing that should ever be on your mind.

Good Luck, Have fun.

CoopALoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 02:45 PM
esidebill

Do they have puck shoots? They're a great way to get tons of practice in breakaway situations.

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 02:45 PM
bigwillie

Send a message via AIM to bigwillie
STRETCH. And I don't mean before you play, I mean everyday. Start tonight! The more flexible you are, the easier goaltending will be (at least in my opinion) and the more resistant you'll be to injury.

Work with a teammate or two on your angles. Don't even worry about stopping pucks at first; have them skate to a spot on the ice, and come out and challenge them like you would if they were about to take a shot. Have them adjust you so that you're in the best possible spot to take up as much net as you can. Repeat. Do this until you start getting a decent feel for your angles. After a while covering angles and challenging shooters will become second nature, although I'll still occasionally smack the post with my glove/stick to find where I am before challenging a shooter.

Warmups are crucial, to me at least. Some players will want to skate in and try their Forsberg-dekes right away during warmups. All that does is get my flopping around right off the bat and doesn't help me get into a groove like I need to be. Don't be afraid to tell your skaters what you'd like to get you warmed up. I personally like to start with longer shots to help me start tracking the puck well. At first I won't even drop to make saves. Then I'll start dropping and have them come in a little closer. Finally, a few breakaways and some rebound/tip practice from in close. A few more mid-range shots right before gametime and I'm good to go.

Remember: Stick always down on the ice, covering your five-hole unless you're reaching for a stick save.

Another trick: Always try to keep your chest up and angled toward the puck. This will help you take away as much net as possible and keep you in position.

bigwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 05:34 PM
Kesid
The House of Penguin

Thank you all, I really appreciate it!

Unfortunately we don't have any practise before the tournament so I can't try the equipment on the ice, but I was watching a lot of videos about goalie skating, sliding etc. and tried it at home. I know I'll probably suck, but I will do my best. Hopefully it won't be 10 allowed goals per game .

Thanks again for all responses.