HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12'-13' Draft Thread: Preliminary Rankings

Closed Thread

Old
08-06-2012, 01:26 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

vCash: 500
12'-13' Draft Thread: Preliminary Rankings

Just Making this thread up as I create a list.

08-06-2012, 01:26 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

extra post incase.

Old
08-06-2012, 01:28 AM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

oh true

Old
08-06-2012, 01:32 AM
RaskY
GLG

Barkov

Old
08-06-2012, 01:33 AM
Dark Knight
ScorchedEarthRebuild

Hunter Shinkaruk has to be in your top 5. The guy reminded me of Phil Kessel in my limited viewings.

His skating and puck handling stances truly did remind me of a Kessel. He'll be a top line winger for a team.

The draft is stacked up front.

08-06-2012, 01:38 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

So far for sure Mackinnon - Jones are the 1-2 punch. This draft has definitely offensive depth unlike this past season.

Old
08-06-2012, 01:39 AM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaskY View Post
Barkov

can't even hold Jones' jock strap

Old
08-06-2012, 01:41 AM
Terrence

vCash: 1026
Top end forwards galore. Mackinnon, Monahan, Barkov, Shinkaruk.

Old
08-06-2012, 01:44 AM
RaskY
GLG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
We'll see.

Barkov is the kind of guy I can see becoming captain in his career. He's really tall, really big. Plays C, great hands, very smart player.

Old
08-06-2012, 01:46 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
Top end forwards galore. Mackinnon, Monahan, Barkov, Shinkaruk.
All should be in the top 10.

I wish somehow Monahan is lasts to the middle. However the player I am really eyeing for is Drouin.

Old
08-06-2012, 02:02 AM
Alexander Baigle

If this season goes right, I'd like to see us pick up Max Domi and Jordan Subban. It's sort of a marketing move, but we have picked up a lot of tough 3rd/4th liners and Max is the opposite of that. And a D prospect would be good to have in the second round. I feel that bringing in Domi's son would be a good throwback to the leafs that used to get into the playoffs and win while still being a good prospect to have, and Jordan Subban could help ignite the Montreal/Toronto rivalry, a rivalry that I believe is good for the franchise.

Old
08-06-2012, 02:04 AM
Sergei Berezin

This is the same **** we heard last year about this years draft.

Even one year before the draft is too early in my opinion.

Obviously doesn't hurt, and by all means continue with the list, but I can guarantee two of the top 5 won't even be in the top 10 come draft day.

500 vCash says that when draft day comes, scouts will call it a 'weak' draft again.

Old
08-06-2012, 02:47 AM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Berezin View Post
This is the same **** we heard last year about this years draft.

Even one year before the draft is too early in my opinion.

Obviously doesn't hurt, and by all means continue with the list, but I can guarantee two of the top 5 won't even be in the top 10 come draft day.

500 vCash says that when draft day comes, scouts will call it a 'weak' draft again.
i bet you 50 vcash that you are wrong!

Old
08-06-2012, 03:18 AM
Bills09

Monahan please and thank you.

Old
08-06-2012, 08:04 AM
dougieg93
flip for filip

Seth Jones seems like a top 5.

Old
08-06-2012, 09:04 AM
Hurt

There will be 2 or 3 guys no one has heard of yet who will go in the top 10, as usual.

08-06-2012, 10:36 AM
ChuckWoods

One of the most interesting and talented drafts at the top end in quite some time!

My Top 5 at this point:

1 - Nate MacKinnon - Halifax (QMJHL) - 5'11ft, 180lbs

- Nate MacKinnon is one of the most hyped players to come through the draft since Sidney Crosby. I am personally not buying into the hype until this coming year, but he's certainly skilled enough and consistent enough in his young career to at least potentially be brought up in the same breath. He'll have to show a lot this next season to really cement his position as "the next Crosby".

In his first junior season, he scored 26 goals, 36 assists for 62 points in 43 games. He seemingly provides effort two-ways and has the potential to be a responsible two-way player at the NHL level, along with elite point production potential. I see absolutely no reason as to why MacKinnon gets drafted outside of this position as he's clearly the head of the pack in terms of immediate impact on a franchise and potential to be elite in the long run.

2 - Seth Jones - Portland (WHL) - 6'3ft, 205lbs

- Son of former NBA player Popeye Jones, so clearly he's got the bloodlines to be a true athlete. He's got the size, athleticism and skating ability on the back end that has scouts lining up to see the kid. He's got good hockey IQ as he's completely self-aware in what he can do and cant do, and his vision is a compliment to his game as well. He'll make the simple and smart outlet pass and moves the puck very well.

In short, he has all of the tools to be a very effective defender in the future and has the intangibles to be a captain of an NHL team someday. He's a good pick for any team that needs some blue chip defensive prospects that have a good chance of fulfilling their potential.

3 - Sean Monahan - Ottawa (OHL) - 6'2ft, 200lbs

- Exactly what the Leafs would want, or any other team that needs a pivot. He's a big, strong kid who is taking positive strides at every level he's taken his game to.

He's got great size, a great stick and loves to have the puck. His skating ability is smooth with good athleticism and power, so when you consider those tools along with the fact that this kid has learned the finer aspects in hockey already....Makes for a potentially dangerous Multi-tooled Centre in the future. He plays above his years with his patience and understanding to let the play develop before executing. He's got good cap control notification and vision, which helps him slide into open ice and be an offensive threat at all times on the ice.

Should be a good bet to be be in contention of a Top 5 pick.

4 - Sasha Barkov - Tappara (FIN) - 6ft2, 205lbs

- I personally haven't had much opportunities to see this kid play since he's overseas. But from what I have watched in the WJC's and tape, is that his skillset, patience and calm demeanour really make him a strong candidate to be drafted early. He makes great decisions on the ice and really provides a fantastic offensive skillset which would benefit any team.

From what I have seen, I really notice a Mikael Grandlund type of style to him, which is a clear compliment. I also notice similarities between himself and Pavel Datsyuk in terms of patience, confidence and his calm play-making. He seemingly never panics with the puck and generally makes the right play.

Wish I could see more of this kid, but he looks like a beauty!

5 - Hunter Shinkaruk - Medicine Hat (WHL) - 5ft11, 167lbs

- Always fun to watch, as his elite puck handling and playmaking abilities making him an offensive threat on the ice at all times. His smooth skating and shifty play make him a hard mark in the defensive zone as he's clearly able to slip away from defenders to find open ice. He's got good vision and good hockey IQ to go along with his already great stick skills and elite playmaking abilities. All of this together will make him a threat to be a Top 3-5 pick in this years draft.

His defensive game at the junior level is just fine! He makes efforts to use his stick well and position himself to make smart and simply plays on the defensive end. So the foundation of being a capable defender, as well as being an offensive threat is certainly there.

When I see this kid, I see a lot of Patrick Kane, Jordan Eberle and some Phil Kessel. Not bad company!

Top 10 Honourable mentions:

D - Ryan Pulock - Brandon (WHL) - 6'1ft, 200lbs
C - Kerby Rychel - Windsor (OHL) - 6ft, 200lbs
RW - Adam Erne - Quebec (QMJHL) - 6ft, 205lbs
C - Curtis Lazar - Edmonton (WHL) - 6ft, 190lbs
RW - Hudson Fasching - U of Minn (USA) - 6ft3, 196lbs

Old
08-06-2012, 10:43 AM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Hopefully we won't even be thinking about discussing who to take with a top 5 pick come season's end, but if we have to, then this seems like a good year.

There looks to be a lot of top end talent.

08-06-2012, 10:58 AM
Hick Leafs Fan
HickTown

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
Hopefully we won't even be thinking about discussing who to take with a top 5 pick come season's end, but if we have to, then this seems like a good year.

There looks to be a lot of top end talent.
I def think it would be better if we get a top 5 pick...those top 5 picks are sick.....i mean we all want playoffs, but whats one more year....i doubt wemake them anyways with most teams in the east stacking their teams......i just hope its either playoffs or top 5 pick

Old
08-06-2012, 11:08 AM
S2S
Come at me bros

Don't trade the pick. Too forward heavy. This year's forward crop was dog poop compared to next year's.

Old
08-06-2012, 11:43 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Lazar. The new Doan.

Old
08-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Hurt

Ideal situation: Acquire MacKinnon or Jones but still have a playoff berth. Jones would be unreal.

Old
08-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Lazar. The new Doan.
why would you want Doan when you can get a top center?

Old
08-06-2012, 12:05 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

I really like Rychel.

08-06-2012, 12:31 PM
deprw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Let's wait and see. Barkov is playing against grown man and proven goalies in elite european league. Did that last year also, huge talent. Has almost similar skill set with Mikael Granlund, but is bigger and has good chance to be elite center in future. If he can produce near ppg at age of 17 in european elite league, you can't under estimate him. He was 16 last season and made 16 points in 32 games. It would be hard thing for Jones to duplicate. If you compare him to Filip Forsberg whos playing in Swedish second league, his one year and one month younger and produced better than him. In better league. Next season is big for him, like it is for all of this young players that wait to be drafted 2013.

I'm just saying that this player has serious 1st line C potential. Granlund has better vision, but his size is his flaw. Barkov is all ready big guy, but little bit lanky. Has good head on his shoulders. His father was top player in finnish league and up and coming coach. I see no flaws in Barkov. If he can produce next season and play good overall game in both ends. He should be drafted in top5. Just my 2 cents.

Just remember when his putting up points that his playing against grown man, not some junior players.

edit. Have to add that video has ****** music, it would be more impressing with proper music selection...

Closed Thread