HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your 2012-2013 St. Louis Blues...part zwei

Closed Thread

Old
07-23-2012, 09:51 AM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

vCash: 380
Couple weeks ago a few different sources said Calgary wanted Rattie/D'Agostini/1st for Bouw.

I can't imagine that we'd even think about including Schwartz.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:05 AM
Cheddabombs
Status Quo

vCash: 500
Quote:
LMAO your avatar cracks me up. Don't suppose he'd be available at all?
Ahaha sorry he's definately not available... he plans on going to home to the Jets next free agency, its what everyone is doing now

Old
07-23-2012, 10:14 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
LMAO your avatar cracks me up. Don't suppose he'd be available at all?

Anyway as I'm no doubt sure this will please Nines, 1223, myself and others, Eklund says the Blues have been talking to Calgary again about everyone's favorite future Red Wing Jay Bouwmeester.
1. It's Eklund, so guarantee he won't come here based off of that lol.

2. If we only give up extras and scraps, I'd be fine with it. I wouldn't give up Rattie or Cole for him.

I do hate Rutherford for first reporting this Bouwmeester non-sense. If we were serious about him, we wouldn't made a move for him by now IMO. Only way we trade for him is if he comes dirt cheap.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:50 AM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Actually, I think they do play the same side.
oh that was a typo. i meant to say that they do play the same side so they wouldn't be playing together unless petro moves to the left side

Old
07-23-2012, 10:51 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
1. It's Eklund, so guarantee he won't come here based off of that lol.

2. If we only give up extras and scraps, I'd be fine with it. I wouldn't give up Rattie or Cole for him.

I do hate Rutherford for first reporting this Bouwmeester non-sense. If we were serious about him, we wouldn't made a move for him by now IMO. Only way we trade for him is if he comes dirt cheap.
cheap cheap fun fun

Old
07-23-2012, 10:58 AM
STL fan in IA

Regarding the D pairings if a legit partner for Petro isn't brought in, Cole, Russell, etc. the reason why every combo of the 3 pairings gets a "yuck" type of reaction from at least some of us is because Petro is the only one of the current 6 that belongs on a top pairing. Kind of a duh statement but I say it to emphasize the gigantic hole that the Blues have.

That said, JR said in his latest chat that if the Blues don't add a 1LD then they'd lonely go with the following pairings but they'd very likely be temporary as they continued their search for a more permanent solution:

Petro-Shatty
Russell-Polak
Jacks-Cole

Those combos put both Petro and Cole on their off-sides but it's the best option with the current 6. That would also lonely leave Wotwitka as the 7th d-man (unless one of Fairchild, Chorney, Ford beats him out). I don't like the combos but they are the best option IMO given what we currently have.

More than that though, this seems to be what the Blues are thinking. Fans can keep posting pairings with Cole paired with Petro in the 1st pairing but that sounds line it's VERY unlikely. Even Army referred to Cole as the current 6th d-man in a JR article a few weeks back. I'm a fan of Cole but it's simply unrealistic to think that he's going to progress from being the 8th d-man on the depth chart last season (maybe 7th by season's end) to the top pairing by the start of this season. It's unfair to Cole to expect anything line that out of him. IMO, ease him in on the 3rd pairing (although I see pairings 2 & 3 getting pretty much even 5 on 5 time so which one is 2 and which one is 3 is debatable) and put him out there in opportunities where he'll likely succeed, not get overwhelmed.

Old
07-23-2012, 12:19 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Regarding the D pairings if a legit partner for Petro isn't brought in, Cole, Russell, etc. the reason why every combo of the 3 pairings gets a "yuck" type of reaction from at least some of us is because Petro is the only one of the current 6 that belongs on a top pairing. Kind of a duh statement but I say it to emphasize the gigantic hole that the Blues have.

That said, JR said in his latest chat that if the Blues don't add a 1LD then they'd lonely go with the following pairings but they'd very likely be temporary as they continued their search for a more permanent solution:

Petro-Shatty
Russell-Polak
Jacks-Cole

Those combos put both Petro and Cole on their off-sides but it's the best option with the current 6. That would also lonely leave Wotwitka as the 7th d-man (unless one of Fairchild, Chorney, Ford beats him out). I don't like the combos but they are the best option IMO given what we currently have.

More than that though, this seems to be what the Blues are thinking. Fans can keep posting pairings with Cole paired with Petro in the 1st pairing but that sounds line it's VERY unlikely. Even Army referred to Cole as the current 6th d-man in a JR article a few weeks back. I'm a fan of Cole but it's simply unrealistic to think that he's going to progress from being the 8th d-man on the depth chart last season (maybe 7th by season's end) to the top pairing by the start of this season. It's unfair to Cole to expect anything line that out of him. IMO, ease him in on the 3rd pairing (although I see pairings 2 & 3 getting pretty much even 5 on 5 time so which one is 2 and which one is 3 is debatable) and put him out there in opportunities where he'll likely succeed, not get overwhelmed.
Colaiacavo was partnered with Petro for the majority of the season (at least when he played), but was 4/5 on defense in ice time. And Cole wont be getting the PP time Cola did, although he will likely get more PK time. If Cole and Petro play well together, you can still shelter Cole's ice time. Will he probably be facing better players if he plays with Petro? Probably, but if he played with Jackman or Polak, he would also likely be facing 2nd/3rd lines, and he wouldnt be playing with one of the best defenders in the league.

And come on, we won the division with Carlo in this spot last season, the bar isnt exactly set high.

Old
07-23-2012, 01:43 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks View Post
Colaiacavo was partnered with Petro for the majority of the season (at least when he played), but was 4/5 on defense in ice time. And Cole wont be getting the PP time Cola did, although he will likely get more PK time. If Cole and Petro play well together, you can still shelter Cole's ice time. Will he probably be facing better players if he plays with Petro? Probably, but if he played with Jackman or Polak, he would also likely be facing 2nd/3rd lines, and he wouldnt be playing with one of the best defenders in the league.

And come on, we won the division with Carlo in this spot last season, the bar isnt exactly set high.
I disagree but besides that, the Blues seem to disagree too as they've already hinted to JR that if they go with what they have Shatty will be paired with Petro. JR has also indicated that the Blues feel they have a big hole at D and will continue to try to trade for a legit solution.

Regarding the Blues winning the Central with Cola (with a some help from the hockey Gods IMO as Datsyuk, Lidstrom and Howard all went down at the same time), shouldn't the Blues strive for better than that? Where the lack of a true legit partner will really stick out like a sore thumb is in a 7 game series. They can probably get by in the regular season with the current D but does anyone actually think the Blues will be legit Cup contenders with a D of Petro, Shatty, Jacks, Polak, Russell, Cole & Woywitka??

Old
08-04-2012, 11:41 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Do the Blues need another player on defense?

The top pairing guy they want isn't coming from UFA, and a trade hasn't happened yet. I suspect if a trade occurs it won't be before the season starts. The Blues apparently are letting Colaiacovo and Huskins walk. They've added Woywitka and are letting Cole slide up into the regular rotation (apparently). I still see the team as overall having less depth at defense if they go into it with the current group.

I'd like to see another depth player with some NHL experience (akin to the Huskins signing last season) if the long-term solution at top pairing is going to have to wait. I feel like the team is a bit fragile in terms of the injury situation as things currently lie.

Any ideas who they'd bring in? It could be a 7th man for all I care.

Old
08-05-2012, 08:57 AM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Do the Blues need another player on defense?

The top pairing guy they want isn't coming from UFA, and a trade hasn't happened yet. I suspect if a trade occurs it won't be before the season starts. The Blues apparently are letting Colaiacovo and Huskins walk. They've added Woywitka and are letting Cole slide up into the regular rotation (apparently). I still see the team as overall having less depth at defense if they go into it with the current group.

I'd like to see another depth player with some NHL experience (akin to the Huskins signing last season) if the long-term solution at top pairing is going to have to wait. I feel like the team is a bit fragile in terms of the injury situation as things currently lie.

Any ideas who they'd bring in? It could be a 7th man for all I care.
I think they pretty much have to bring someone in. Even if it's not the long-term 1st pairing lefty they really need, they're going to need to add someone at least for depth purposes. So far, all they've done is replace Colaiacovo and Huskins with Woywitka. That's not going to cut it IMO. That said, training camp is still quite a ways away. Also, even if all te Blues do for now is to add a stop-gap guy because Army can't find a good deal for the d-man the team really needs, he'll still keep looking throughout the season.

Old
08-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
...does anyone actually think the Blues will be legit Cup contenders with a D of Petro, Shatty, Jacks, Polak, Russell, Cole & Woywitka??
Yes.

Old
08-05-2012, 10:21 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Yes.
Me too.

Old
08-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

vCash: 380
I don't

Old
08-05-2012, 12:47 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

I think the Blues could win the cup with their current D. However, I think their chances are much higher if they acquire a top 4 dman to cover up for inevitable injuries. I think our collection of great 2 way forwards and solid goaltenders, combined with the backchecking effort demanded by Hitch, makes a very good regular season team. In the playoffs, the need for another Dman becomes a little more apparent, but we have plenty of time before the trading deadline rolls around. I trust Army 100%. He knows there's a hole, and he's going to fix it somehow.

Old
08-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Alklha

There is only 1 question about the Blues defense that matters just now... are we still good enough to have the best defensive record during the regular season? The answer to that is clearly yes. Is it strong enough to go all the way? That is questionable, but also pretty irrelevant at this point. Our adjustments could, and should, be made during the season.

Old
08-05-2012, 01:42 PM
execwrite

Quote:
but does anyone actually think the Blues will be legit Cup contenders with a D of Petro, Shatty, Jacks, Polak, Russell, Cole & Woywitka??
I don't think this team plays in the Finals this year - and one more d-man isn't going to change that.

We're closer, but not yet.

Old
08-05-2012, 05:09 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Yes.
I agree, look at Boston and LAs defenses when they won the cup. One great defender with good depth surrounding them. I think Shattenkirk is on par with the #2 defender from either of those teams.

I do agree about adding an additional defender though, and I think Army will. We are dangerously thin with Woy or Chorney as our 7 at the moment, and adding an additional proven vet would certainly insure us a bit better for injuries. But Armstrong seems to be a guy who likes NHL depth, so I feel like he is going to sign someone. Not to mention that we are still a bit under the cap, we will likely have to sign someone. With Woy as the #7, we are about .3-.35 below the floor, so I see us signing someone for a bit more than a mil.

Old
08-05-2012, 05:10 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
There is only 1 question about the Blues defense that matters just now... are we still good enough to have the best defensive record during the regular season? The answer to that is clearly yes. Is it strong enough to go all the way? That is questionable, but also pretty irrelevant at this point. Our adjustments could, and should, be made during the season.
People are confabulating Team Defense with the strength of the Defensive Corps. They could very easily repeat their team defense effectiveness, but there is room for an upgrade on the defensive side in the top pairing (Cola's spot). Ironically, the place I think this would impact the most is on the offensive side....as the Blues would get production from the quick transition, the ability to hold the puck in, the freedom for Pietro to pinch in more readily.

So...I believe the Blues can be as good next season with what they have, but that doesn't mean the blueline can't stand an upgrade.

Old
08-05-2012, 06:17 PM
BlueDream

Yeah the depth is my biggest concern. Is our group of 6 the best in the league? No, but it's certainly serviceable. I would like to add a top-pairing guy to the group to really make me feel good about it, but if we added a #7 I think I'd be alright with that too. Woywitka is alright but I'm not the most comfortable with him as the 7th guy. That's one injury away from him in the top 6 and then Chorney as the 7th...that's just not enough.

Not sure who is available though. I'm kind of expecting the Blues to wait around and maybe late August make some type of move to bring another body in.

Old
08-06-2012, 12:03 AM
oPlaiD

Everyone is overreacting to one bad series where we dealt with injury problems and met with the only team we didn't match up well with during the regular season.

There were lots of problems in the LA series and replacing Colaiacavo isn't going to solve all of them. A lot of guys just need to play better. Our forwards didn't keep the puck in the offensive zone with their forecheck like they usually do, giving LA more chances to expose our defense. Some of our guys didn't play their best, Pietrangelo had injury issues. Etc. etc.

The Blues were the best possession team in the league last season, and that's the best way to consistently win in the NHL. Even without any significant personnel changes they should be able to replicate that feat again, barring any major injury problems. Add in Tarasenko and we're improved.

Sure, the Blues could use another D-man, but it's also a bit of a luxury. We'll still be one of the best teams in the league.

It's also quite possible that Cole surprises and provides exactly what we need so I can't blame Armstrong for waiting to find out about that before committing to a deal, if one is not presenting itself.

Old
08-06-2012, 06:14 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
I don't
^ I'll second the motion. Blues need a true top 4 shutdown defender and until they get one it's not going to happen. We all know it's a massive crater in our roster and so does all the other NHL GM's in making a trade.

Last edited by JustOneB4IDie: 08-06-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old
08-06-2012, 06:16 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Unless there is a lockout, does anyone know when training camp opens?

Old
08-06-2012, 10:22 AM
Blanick
Winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
Unless there is a lockout, does anyone know when training camp opens?
Exact date is unknown but probably sometime in late August and training camp will start regardless of CBA negotiations cause the current CBA doesn't expire until sometime in mid september (right around when preseason would start)

Old
08-06-2012, 10:48 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanick View Post
Exact date is unknown but probably sometime in late August and training camp will start regardless of CBA negotiations cause the current CBA doesn't expire until sometime in mid september (right around when preseason would start)
I think the CBA expires September 15th.

Old
08-06-2012, 11:19 AM
stlweir

We all would love to have seen that top pairing LD added but this team is still one of the top teams in the league "AS IS" with Schwartz and Tarasenko. Pie had the bad knee during the King series and no Halak. There are always ifs but if AMac and Perron stay healthy with this group of forwards the Blues should not have problems scoring goals even with their tight knit defensive system. There is a lot to look forward to.

Closed Thread