HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

2012 Free Agency Thread - Part XXII: Doan Go Breakin My Heart Edition

View Poll Results: So where do you think we go from here?
RayRay will sign a UFA quality wing in the preseason 4 2.67%
RayRay will sign a UFA grinder because thatís just how we roll 13 8.67%
RayRay will swing a preseason trade for a quality wing 19 12.67%
RayRay will swing a preseason trade for a grinder 2 1.33%
RayRay will give Adams a $11.5 million raise. 22 14.67%
RayRay will swing a trade deadline trade for a quality wing 62 41.33%
RayRay will buy himself $12 million of bling and rock this house 10 6.67%
Who gives a ****? Edward and Bella broke up, OMG 18 12.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
08-06-2012, 10:09 AM
Shady Machine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
BTW I don't know if you guys have seen it but Doan did an interview with TSN during a recent autograph signing in Toronto. Basically said his main goal (as we all knew) was to stay in PHX, but threw out the "have to check my options and the longer this goes" routine to make PHX pony up. Mentioned family specifically. He's going nowhere.
Yeah I saw that and I agree he will likely return to Phoenix. This whole thing is to put pressure on the ownership situation, but at some point he has to give them a deadline. Either that or he signs a 1 year deal and waits it out. But, then next summer it would be this crap all over again and he'd be one year older and less desirable.

I think it's 70/30 to Phoenix.

Old
08-06-2012, 10:11 AM
torrencemd

* Sutter is an RFA
* Letang is a UFA
* Kunitz is a UFA
* Malkin is a UFA

Summer of 2014
B. Orpik UFA

who IMHO if he doesnt have a bounce back year will either have to take a pay cut and sign a sweetheart deal or pack his bags. His money will be split between Sutter and Letang, Malkin COULD be signed to a similar Crosby deal maybe just a shorter term? Shero did say noone on the team will make more than Sid the Kid, and by then I'm sure one or more of Dumoulin, Harrington and Morrow will be pushing the NHL for time, if not all three. Dumoulin seems to be a Brooks clone. Also if Kunitz is still able to play no way we pay him 3.75 again as a 35 yr old which is how old he will be at the start of the 2015 season... So the money will be there

Old
08-06-2012, 10:17 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrencemd View Post
* Sutter is an RFA
* Letang is a UFA
* Kunitz is a UFA
* Malkin is a UFA

Summer of 2014
B. Orpik UFA

who IMHO if he doesnt have a bounce back year will either have to take a pay cut and sign a sweetheart deal or pack his bags. His money will be split between Sutter and Letang, Malkin COULD be signed to a similar Crosby deal maybe just a shorter term? And by then Im sure one or more of Dumoulin, Harrington and Morrow will be pushing the NHL for time, if not all three. Dumoulin seems to be a Brooks clone. Also if Kunitz is still able to play no way we pay him 3.75 again as a 35 yr old which is how old he will be at the start of the 2015 season... So the money will be there
I agree. You don't pass up on signing Shane Doan because of some possibilities of signing bigger UFA's in the next 2 years. Every season we go through this "this year's UFA wingers suck but look at next year's list". Then most of the good ones re-sign with their current teams and it's rinse, repeat. I still think the likelihood of getting Doan is slim to none, but if he's willing to sign here I say you go for it.

I expect Martin and possibly Orpik to be gone and filled internally. So that's 8.75 out the door and under 2 mil to replace them. That more than pays for the Malkin and Sutter raise (Geno to 11 mil at most and Sutter to 4). Letang's raise will be paid for with that plus IF it boils down to it, we let Kunitz walk and hopefully internal solutions have arrived.

Old
08-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
BTW I don't know if you guys have seen it but Doan did an interview with TSN during a recent autograph signing in Toronto. Basically said his main goal (as we all knew) was to stay in PHX, but threw out the "have to check my options and the longer this goes" routine to make PHX pony up. Mentioned family specifically. He's going nowhere.
it seems like you immediately assume he's lying. I think he genuinely wants to stay in Phoenix, but eventually will have to make a hard decision if they can't convince him they will be in Phoenix for the length of his contract.

Old
08-06-2012, 10:29 AM
Wes C Addle
Mookie Blaylock

Quote:
Shero gonna find solushun.
I think we need to keep an active eye to post game pressers in Quebec. I have a feeling he's gonna produce at least one masterpiece this year.

Old
08-06-2012, 11:10 AM
SherogoesHAM

Would not mind a Martin/Kennedy for Heatley. He had 39 in 2010. Not sure if that would get it done or not.

I am not sold on Martin staying. Better to trade a player a year early than a year too late.

Kunitz-Crosby-Heatley
Tangradi-Malkin-Neal.

Old
08-06-2012, 11:30 AM
Zbynek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherogoesHAM View Post
Would not mind a Martin/Kennedy for Heatley. He had 39 in 2010. Not sure if that would get it done or not.

I am not sold on Martin staying. Better to trade a player a year early than a year too late.

Kunitz-Crosby-Heatley
Tangradi-Malkin-Neal.
Shero would truly be going HAM if he pulled that deal off.

Old
08-06-2012, 11:34 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

I'm sure Shero (and Dan) will like to see how things play out in training camp before shipping out Martin. I get the feeling that there'll be a big surprise in camp and Shero will decide to ship out a big name D (not necessarily Martin but it could possibly be Niskanen if he regresses or shows up out of shape). Heatley seems like a good option but I'd much rather want Setoguchi given that he's younger, a lower cap-hip, and a right handed shot with speed. However, Heatley has much more experience and a bigger body to boot but left-handed.

Old
08-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
I'm sure Shero (and Dan) will like to see how things play out in training camp before shipping out Martin. I get the feeling that there'll be a big surprise in camp and Shero will decide to ship out a big name D (not necessarily Martin but it could possibly be Niskanen if he regresses or shows up out of shape). Heatley seems like a good option but I'd much rather want Setoguchi given that he's younger, a lower cap-hip, and a right handed shot with speed. However, Heatley has much more experience and a bigger body to boot but left-handed.
not to mention that given the choice I'm sure Minnesota would rather keep Setoguchi for all those same reasons. And money. Martin for Setoguchi wouldn't work because we'll need to be taking salary back.

Old
08-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
not to mention that given the choice I'm sure Minnesota would rather keep Setoguchi for all those same reasons. And money. Martin for Setoguchi wouldn't work because we'll need to be taking salary back.
I'd prefer Setoguchi for cap reasons but Heatley is a hell of a player. Not a popular one around the league but who cares, the guy can score and that's all that matters

Old
08-06-2012, 12:17 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Tyler Kennedy for Douglas Murray and Paul Martin for Devin Setoguchi would be great.

Old
08-06-2012, 12:25 PM
MtlPenFan

Heatley can't play at pace, which is why he has trouble scoring goals once the intensity picks up during the playoffs. No thanks.

Old
08-06-2012, 12:53 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
Tyler Kennedy for Douglas Murray and Paul Martin for Devin Setoguchi would be great.

Minnesota literally can't trade Seto for Martin straight up. They don't have the cap space. The trade has to send someone else our way. It would need to be Martin + prospect for Seto + roster player

Old
08-06-2012, 01:02 PM
mr sidney crosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Heatley can't play at pace, which is why he has trouble scoring goals once the intensity picks up during the playoffs. No thanks.
2 time 50 goal scorer, younger then shane doan, faster than shane doan, better hands than shane doan... No thanks Shane doan > Dany Heatley.

Old
08-06-2012, 01:04 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr sidney crosby View Post
2 time 50 goal scorer, younger then shane doan, faster than shane doan, better hands than shane doan... No thanks Shane doan > Dany Heatley.
Free > assets needed to acquire a player Minnesota has zero reason to trade.

Old
08-06-2012, 01:15 PM
mr sidney crosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Free > assets needed to acquire a player Minnesota has zero reason to trade.
Why can't we get both? Paul martin+ tyler kennedy is 7 million, and dany heatley is 7 million. Brian duloulin seems nhl ready and can fill in the 5th or 6th spot and niskanen can be promoted to a top 4 defensemen spot.

Old
08-06-2012, 01:20 PM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

Why would Minnesota trade Heatley? They solved their D issues by signing Suter, and scoring goals was one of their problems last year if I recall correctly.

Old
08-06-2012, 01:48 PM
leafspensfan

What about Kyle Okposo?

What would the price be for him?

Old
08-06-2012, 01:51 PM
leafspensfan

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...o-three-teams/

and this might be interesting for you to read, not sure how legit it is but whatever, it's news.

Old
08-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Dupree13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg1 View Post
Why would Minnesota trade Heatley? They solved their D issues by signing Suter, and scoring goals was one of their problems last year if I recall correctly.
Yeah, this is what I've been thinking. They're obviously going for it, so why would they be shedding key players? Then I read that article about the cap and how they might be forced to move some salary.

Though I still don't understand how the league can set this operating cap number of $70.3M or whatever it is, only to make a new CBA deal and have teams scrambling to get under some lower figure.

Old
08-06-2012, 01:53 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
What about Kyle Okposo?

What would the price be for him?
too high.

Old
08-06-2012, 02:07 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg1 View Post

They likely need 1 more top 4 D. Whether or not they go after it is a different matter. If they're moving a forward for a D, I see Heater going before Seto simply due to the contract. Minny is now a cap team, and moving DH gives them a lot of flexibility that moving Seto would not.

I'm not sure where Scandella fits, but he'll play. Spurgeon is under sized and I can't see him ever being more than a PP type of player (assuming he hits his max potential). Proser and Stoner are nothing more than 6/7 guys.

Suter - top pair
Gilbert - top pair
Scandella - ?
Faulk - 2nd pair
Stoner - 3rd pair
Prosser
Spurgeon - ELC

Old
08-06-2012, 02:09 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr sidney crosby View Post
Why can't we get both? Paul martin+ tyler kennedy is 7 million, and dany heatley is 7 million. Brian duloulin seems nhl ready and can fill in the 5th or 6th spot and niskanen can be promoted to a top 4 defensemen spot.
If you had Heatley on your team, would you trade him for Kennedy and Martin? Probably not. Especially being up against the cap, you can get a blue chip prospect for him + from some desperate team. With Kennedy and Martin, you're taking on the same amount of money as Heatley has on his cap, so it's not going to entice them there.

Old
08-06-2012, 02:14 PM
Dupree13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
If you had Heatley on your team, would you trade him for Kennedy and Martin? Probably not. Especially being up against the cap, you can get a blue chip prospect for him + from some desperate team. With Kennedy and Martin, you're taking on the same amount of money as Heatley has on his cap, so it's not going to entice them there.
I know right. I swear we're becoming the new Leafs fans with some of these proposals this summer.

Old
08-06-2012, 02:15 PM
TheRollingPuck
Free fallin'

lol @ Oiler fans on the trade boards.

Closed Thread