HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penn State Scandal (Update: NCAA Punishment handed out)

Old
08-01-2012, 10:04 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
I just feel that when the NCAA is involved the rules are made up as they go along.
I don't see it that way.

I see a situation where the punishment for violations aren't set in stone and can appear inconsistent from situation to situation.

But, there are plenty of rules, so there is no need to make up new ones.

Quote:
Right or wrong, doesn't matter, because that's what it is. Until the NCAA is restructured or changed that's the way it will be...

And why would anyone want to change it... They make ridiculous money with the status quo.
I think there are a lot of people within collegiate athletics that want to see things change. The people that want the status quo are those that are empowered by the current system.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:27 AM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I don't believe that was the NCAA's motivation at all. I think this was a PR move because so many people were saying that they couldn't sit by and do nothing after hammering programs for lesser issues like players trading jerseys and autographs for tattoos.

The way that Penn State got hammered, you could see other programs do more to try and cover up a scandal like this and just pray that it doesn't come to light until they are long gone.
I know what I'm about to say is idealistically idiotic, but the NCAA should have pursued a policy of "pedophilic amnesty," i.e., they should have created a system or structure by which various athletic programs across the country could "out" their own child-rapists without having to suffer from the massive blow-back of a Penn State style nuclear punishment (which includes wholesale historical revisionism that deliberately suppresses the event over time).

The point should be to help the kids across the nation who might be victims, not incentivize athletic programs to bury their dirty laundry even deeper underground.

Like I said, it's idiotic to prioritize the safety of children over big profits, but I just can't stop myself.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:54 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
I doubt too many people thought it was OK to harbor a child molester before the NCAA punished Penn State and only afterward were scared straight.
I think it was just as much about the fact that the higher ups in the school and department knew about it, and covered it up, as it was about the acts themselves

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:26 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
I think it was just as much about the fact that the higher ups in the school and department knew about it, and covered it up, as it was about the acts themselves
The entire punishment should have been about the cover up.

If there was no cover up, I don't see why Penn State should have been punished.

Old
08-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:

I think Penn State accepting the findings of the Freeh report was seen as an admission of guilt in regards to a coverup....

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:21 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
I think Penn State accepting the findings of the Freeh report was seen as an admission of guilt in regards to a coverup....
Who has ever denied that there was a cover up besides Sandusky and the people accused of covering it up?

Old
08-01-2012, 02:43 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
Who has ever denied that there was a cover up besides Sandusky and the people accused of covering it up?
I don't know.

I really shoudn't have chimed in... I'm so sick of this story, I just wanna watch sports stories about sports action instead of pedophilia and the destruction of a mans legacy and a football team...

Old
08-01-2012, 05:53 PM
slip

The honorable ex-senator George Mitchell has been chosen to be Penn State's first ever "integrity monitor:"

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...y-monitor.html

Let the PR image rehabilitation begin.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 12:50 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
The NCAA's specific rules they claimed PSU broke are listed here:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/ncaa/files/2...1207236PDF.pdf

They are intentionally vague in my opinion. That way the NCAA can do what it wants. Is that right or fair... not really... but they are running the show.

Anyone who thought they wouldn't act had their head in the sand.... there was absolutely no way they were going to be associated with this by way of the football team and make it publicly known that they opposed it.

They fast tracked it because they wanted it over and done with. Penn State could have fought, but i imagine the result would have been no football until the investigation was complete. The options were never "lets take 5 years to investigate and then punish" it was "take this punishment and still get to play, or shut down the program until the investigation is complete" The NCAA generally takes forever because they aren't that large a staff.
Penn State will be OK for a few years if enough guys stick it out, then in like years 3-5 from now they will be awful... a 2-3 win team. Then they'll be back.
I read the entire agreement / link posted above, including both the punitive actions and the corrective actions.

Quote:
Again, the NCAA had the option to actually follow their own rules and they chose not to.
@Jim Bob - I like you, so don't view this as argumentative.
(I've listened to none of the talking heads, and don't claim my view to be unique, but it is my independent thought.)

Instead of viewing this as factory union labor rules / procedures situation, Consider a different view:
1. NCAA had, in this particular case, the Freeh report from which to make assessments & draw conclusions. Even allowing for some potential errors / inaccuracies in the facts, isn't there enough substance "there" to prompt the NCAA to act?
2. Would the Corrective Actions in the agreement be substantially "better" for PSU Students, Athletes, Faculty, Alumni, BoT, & State College community if the NCAA were to conduct it's own independent investigation, rule / issue findings, then mete out punishment?
3. Similar question re: the Punitive Actions in the agreement?
4. Would the process, conclusions, rulings, Corrective & Punitive Actions be better served by a (necessarily) lengthy independent NCAA investigation? As I bolded in Karate Johnson's post, isn't it in the best interest of all parties to have some form of certainty / resolution as quickly as possible? I argue quick resolution (in terms of issuing penalties) is in the best interest for the football athletes, and by extension the student / alumni fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Isn't the NCAA prone to doing the same things that Penn St. Football did due to the money involved? College football is a huge cash cow and it seems that the NCAA makes up rules as they go along so that they protect their cash rather than being consistent or doing things always in the best interest of student atheletes or youngsters in general.
As to the question, if you mean protecting it's (NCAA's) brand / image / authority, I agree.
As to the statement, it's not clear to me the Punitive and Corrective actions are internally inconsistent. The only potential conflict I see with "best interest of student athletes" is the loss of bowl games, but I don't see that as earth shattering.

Quote:
Absolutely.

That's why Penn State is still playing football... Shutting them down would have been way easier. Just say "we don't want to be associated with this institution" and kicked them out of the NCAA.

But they have games to play, and canceling away games would cost the conference money.
The whole thing is corrupt... They change the rules as they go, and any school that creates a problem will be dealt with.... That's not just Penn State, that's across the board.... It sucks, but until it's fixed it's the state of college sports.

Penn State just happened to be at the center of the most messed up situation in College sports history. The systematic **** of children, using Penn State football as the candy in the van.

Of course they got slammed.
My PSU football memories are about equal parts Major Independent and Big Ten. I remember when the Major Independents were PSU, Pitt, ND, FSU, Army, Navy.

Quote:
Just because they did it, it doesn't make it right.

I'm just expressing my opinion. I don't expect that to change anything.

There are rules and procedures. Sure, the NCAA's punishments vary from situation to situation. But, in this case, they set aside all their own rules. I just find it hypocritical that they respond to Penn State not abiding by the NCAA's constitution & by-laws by ignoring their own rules and regs when it comes to investigating potential violations.

It's like punishing your kid for hitting their sibling by hitting them.....
In this case, what greater good or better outcome results from a checklist-like or flow-chart following of procedures, appeals, etc., other than ability to say, when the long day is finally done, that the rules and procedures were followed to the "T" (implicit in that hypothetical is all the rules and procedures would each actually be followed, correctly, and without error)?

As to the bolded, I agree two wrongs don't make a right, but hey, that works.

Quote:
I don't see it that way.

I see a situation where the punishment for violations aren't set in stone and can appear inconsistent from situation to situation.

But, there are plenty of rules, so there is no need to make up new ones.

I think there are a lot of people within collegiate athletics that want to see things change. The people that want the status quo are those that are empowered by the current system.
As to the bolded, isn't that the case in virtually all civil / business / educational / governmental body?
And, philosophically, isn't that situation & outcome worse in a European Continental-type system of law*, where people can be disposed from the law (versus American law/rules, which derives from England, and not the Continent)?

*Also used, e.g., in the Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, and various National Orthodox churches.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I think we're all agreeing here - The punishment was due to PSU's:
1) Failure to deal with initial incident & repetitions.
2) Hierarchal cover-up.
3) Continued permission of Sandusky's access to youngsters via PSU Athletics.

=============
I am generally not a conspiracy theorist, but I remain very interested in the Ray Gricar case. It remains HIGHLY possible his death / disappearance was at the hands of / result of PSU hierarchy or related government power structures telling certain people to deal wth Gricar in whatever way necessary as Gricar would be detrimental to PSU / football. If so, that web may be so tightly woven that it could be impossible to ever know the truth.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 01:41 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
(I've listened to none of the talking heads, and don't claim my view to be unique, but it is my independent thought.)

Instead of viewing this as factory union labor rules / procedures situation, Consider a different view:
1. NCAA had, in this particular case, the Freeh report from which to make assessments & draw conclusions. Even allowing for some potential errors / inaccuracies in the facts, isn't there enough substance "there" to prompt the NCAA to act?
2. Would the Corrective Actions in the agreement be substantially "better" for PSU Students, Athletes, Faculty, Alumni, BoT, & State College community if the NCAA were to conduct it's own independent investigation, rule / issue findings, then mete out punishment?
4. Would the process, conclusions, rulings, Corrective & Punitive Actions be better served by a (necessarily) lengthy independent NCAA investigation? As I bolded in Karate Johnson's post, isn't it in the best interest of all parties to have some form of certainty / resolution as quickly as possible? I argue quick resolution (in terms of issuing penalties) is in the best interest for the football athletes, and by extension the student / alumni fans.
I'm not a PSU alum or fan that is looking for the punishment to be reduced.

I'm looking for the NCAA to actually follow their own procedures and processes when dealing with potential rules violations.

The Freeh Report was never meant to be a replacement for an NCAA violation. And to use it as such was a mistake.

Also, the NCAA couldn't care less about PSU players, students, and alums. They acted the way they did to protect their brand. Just like many at PSU acted the way they did to protect their brand.

Quote:
In this case, what greater good or better outcome results from a checklist-like or flow-chart following of procedures, appeals, etc., other than ability to say, when the long day is finally done, that the rules and procedures were followed to the "T" (implicit in that hypothetical is all the rules and procedures would each actually be followed, correctly, and without error)?
We will never know what a full NCAA investigation would have uncovered that the Freeh investigation didn't.

But, since Freeh never interviewed most of the major living players in this case including McQueery, Spanier, Schultz, or Curley due to the ongoing legal cases, I don't see how the Freeh report could have uncovered all potential NCAA violations at Penn State.

The NCAA shouldn't have prioritized getting something done fast over getting it done right.

Old
08-02-2012, 07:59 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:

I'm looking for the NCAA to actually follow their own procedures and processes when dealing with potential rules violations.

The Freeh Report was never meant to be a replacement for an NCAA violation. And to use it as such was a mistake.

Also, the NCAA couldn't care less about PSU players, students, and alums. They acted the way they did to protect their brand. Just like many at PSU acted the way they did to protect their brand.

We will never know what a full NCAA investigation would have uncovered that the Freeh investigation didn't.

But, since Freeh never interviewed most of the major living players in this case including McQueery, Spanier, Schultz, or Curley due to the ongoing legal cases, I don't see how the Freeh report could have uncovered all potential NCAA violations at Penn State.

The NCAA shouldn't have prioritized getting something done fast over getting it done right.
I wholeheartedly agree with the first bolded.

To the second bolded, I (now / better) understand your point of view, and sorry I didn't pick up on it more strongly in your earlier posts. Given the legal issues and likely time to resolve them, though, before an NCAA investigation could begin, OY, what a quagmire.

Old
08-04-2012, 11:57 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
I don't believe that was the NCAA's motivation at all. I think this was a PR move because so many people were saying that they couldn't sit by and do nothing after hammering programs for lesser issues like players trading jerseys and autographs for tattoos.

The way that Penn State got hammered, you could see other programs do more to try and cover up a scandal like this and just pray that it doesn't come to light until they are long gone.
Thing is Penn St. almost got away with it. Sandusky was forcesd into retirement after 99 at the age of 59. The ONE BIG MISTAKE the school made with what they knew was they let him hang around campus and around the football program until about the end of last year.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 12:01 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
I read the entire agreement / link posted above, including both the punitive actions and the corrective actions.

As to the question, if you mean protecting it's (NCAA's) brand / image / authority, I agree.
As to the statement, it's not clear to me the Punitive and Corrective actions are internally inconsistent. The only potential conflict I see with "best interest of student athletes" is the loss of bowl games, but I don't see that as earth shattering.

My PSU football memories are about equal parts Major Independent and Big Ten. I remember when the Major Independents were PSU, Pitt, ND, FSU, Army, Navy.

As to the bolded, I agree two wrongs don't make a right, but hey, that works.

As to the bolded, isn't that the case in virtually all civil / business / educational / governmental body?
And, philosophically, isn't that situation & outcome worse in a European Continental-type system of law*, where people can be disposed from the law (versus American law/rules, which derives from England, and not the Continent)?

*Also used, e.g., in the Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, and various National Orthodox churches.

I think we're all agreeing here - The punishment was due to PSU's:
1) Failure to deal with initial incident & repetitions.
2) Hierarchal cover-up.
3) Continued permission of Sandusky's access to youngsters via PSU Athletics.

=============
I am generally not a conspiracy theorist, but I remain very interested in the Ray Gricar case. It remains HIGHLY possible his death / disappearance was at the hands of / result of PSU hierarchy or related government power structures telling certain people to deal wth Gricar in whatever way necessary as Gricar would be detrimental to PSU / football. If so, that web may be so tightly woven that it could be impossible to ever know the truth.
I agree. I mean...is he even dead? What if he is alive and such?

I think had the NCAA done a real investigation(come on they just re-used the Freeh report) I think it's very possible if they took their time that PSU gets the death penalty.

Old
08-05-2012, 06:39 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Here's the thing about the NCAA and investigations.... They aren't really equipped for them, and they don't really have the ability to do them very effectively.

While they are a powerful organization, they aren't very big. They aren't crawling with detectives and investigators and so when they do investigate something big it takes years.

Old
08-05-2012, 06:51 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

It certainly seems from recent reports that the NCAA has provisions in place to make ruling like they did in "special cases"

Basically, in the NCAA constitution, they are allowed to make things up as they go along on a case by case basis ...

Penn State, had they been combative in this, would have been shut down for 4 years. 4 years of no football, 4 years of no concession stands, no hotels in State College, no local restaurants with lines out the door 7 Saturdays a year, no merchandise sales, no Big 10 TV deal revenue.

Remember, for the NCAA they are allowed to make up the rules a they go... So they acted within their rights, an arbitrary as they may seem....

So PSU took a plea bargain, and chose to stink at football for a decade rather than destroy the program forever.

The reported 4 year death penalty would have destroyed The football program forever. It would have never been back.

Old
08-06-2012, 01:00 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

The NCAA felt like they had to do this before the summer ended. My question then is why does this not kick in until 2014?(Thought I heard that anyway)

I donít mind that they make stuff up as they go because hardly any situation seems ďidenticalĒ to another. This was certainly something new.

To be honest I donít think they will ever be a big deal again regardless. I donít think either way they will recover. Theres 4 teams I think I would always pick to win the Big Ten before PSU. Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State and Wisconsin. Iowa is a WildCard but usually decent. Most of the kids going to PSU are from the state of Pennsyltucky. If they are from out of the state daddy played for Paterno 20-30 years prior. PA winters really donít allow for kids to practice year round like a Florida, Georgia, USC, etc. Another thing that hurts PSU is Sad Valley is out in the sticks in the middle of nowhere.

Old
08-06-2012, 07:01 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:

Honestly based on the wording of the official report, I think what the NCAA said was "You can accept these punishments and follow every single suggested action outlined in the report, OR we can do the investigation. Until our investigation is done, you will be subject to the death penalty, THEN you will take a punishment based on our findings a few years down the road when we finish investigating. I think that this punishment was a lot more lenient then getting the death penalty, then coming back to similar if not the same actons that are being taken now, if not worse.

Old
08-06-2012, 10:57 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Honestly based on the wording of the official report, I think what the NCAA said was "You can accept these punishments and follow every single suggested action outlined in the report, OR we can do the investigation. Until our investigation is done, you will be subject to the death penalty, THEN you will take a punishment based on our findings a few years down the road when we finish investigating. I think that this punishment was a lot more lenient then getting the death penalty, then coming back to similar if not the same actons that are being taken now, if not worse.
The NCAA has never shut anyone down, not even SMU, while doing an investigation. And there is nothing within the NCAA's rules that allows for that.

This whole thing was a PR move by the NCAA and a rush to action to quiet the people that were clamoring for the NCAA to act.

I am never a fan of rushing to act and bypassing long standing rules.

Old
08-06-2012, 11:08 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Here's the thing about the NCAA and investigations.... They aren't really equipped for them, and they don't really have the ability to do them very effectively.

While they are a powerful organization, they aren't very big. They aren't crawling with detectives and investigators and so when they do investigate something big it takes years.
The NCAA has the money to bring in more people for something as large as this.

The biggest issue with the NCAA's ability to investigate anything is that they don't have subpoena powers to force people to answer questions with the threat of perjury charges if they lie.

But, Freeh didn't have that, either.

Old
08-06-2012, 11:23 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
The NCAA has never shut anyone down, not even SMU, while doing an investigation. And there is nothing within the NCAA's rules that allows for that.

This whole thing was a PR move by the NCAA and a rush to action to quiet the people that were clamoring for the NCAA to act.

I am never a fan of rushing to act and bypassing long standing rules.

The NCAA rules allow for it to create its own precident in a situation like this. It also specifically says in their official release that had they not agreed to the ruling they wouldn't be allowed to participate in NCAA sanctioned events, and the same if they feel like PSU even toes the line during the period of probation the same will happen.

Honestly I think the NCAA was setting precident incase a situation like this happens again. It made an example out of PSU, and while they may have been a little overzealous in the punishment and hinting that they are willing to do far worse, I doubt that any other school will ever try and pull a coverup like this any time soon.

The NCAA has never had a precident like this, so yeah, if something that bad happens of course they are going to want to set the precident that they will come down hard and fast on this type of issue.

Old
08-06-2012, 11:56 AM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
The NCAA felt like they had to do this before the summer ended. My question then is why does this not kick in until 2014?(Thought I heard that anyway)

I donít mind that they make stuff up as they go because hardly any situation seems ďidenticalĒ to another. This was certainly something new.

To be honest I donít think they will ever be a big deal again regardless. I donít think either way they will recover. Theres 4 teams I think I would always pick to win the Big Ten before PSU. Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State and Wisconsin. Iowa is a WildCard but usually decent. Most of the kids going to PSU are from the state of Pennsyltucky. If they are from out of the state daddy played for Paterno 20-30 years prior. PA winters really donít allow for kids to practice year round like a Florida, Georgia, USC, etc. Another thing that hurts PSU is Sad Valley is out in the sticks in the middle of nowhere.
huh??
Quote:
Why should it wait until 2014???? Give PSU 2 more seasons status quo????

Quote:

To be honest I donít think they will ever be a big deal again regardless. I donít think either way they will recover. Theres 4 teams I think I would always pick to win the Big Ten before PSU. Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State and Wisconsin. Iowa is a WildCard but usually decent. (1) Most of the kids going to PSU are from the state of Pennsyltucky. (2)If they are from out of the state daddy played for Paterno 20-30 years prior. (3)PA winters really donít allow for kids to practice year round like a Florida, Georgia, USC, etc. (4)Another thing that hurts PSU is Sad Valley is out in the sticks in the middle of nowhere.
Regarding the above (PSU, OSU, MSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Florida, Georgia, USC)...

(1) ??? Most of the kids going to any of those schools are from the states those schools are in. ???
(2) ??? Really ???
(3) ??? NCAA rules don't allow for kids to practice year-round. Every single one of those Universities has facilities enabling year-round training / practice. I can confirm this in <15 minutes. I work with multiple people who attended every one of those Universities, except USC.
(4) ??? Of the 9 schools you list above, 7 of them are 1-2 hours from a "major" US city. Only OSU and USC are in "real cities" not in "college towns", with Wisconsin a tweener.

I fail to see how any of the above has bearing on PSU football, it's viability in the Big 10, or it's viability in the NCAA / BCS. (I am not a PSU alum.)

Old
08-06-2012, 12:45 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
The NCAA rules allow for it to create its own precident in a situation like this. It also specifically says in their official release that had they not agreed to the ruling they wouldn't be allowed to participate in NCAA sanctioned events, and the same if they feel like PSU even toes the line during the period of probation the same will happen.

Honestly I think the NCAA was setting precident incase a situation like this happens again. It made an example out of PSU, and while they may have been a little overzealous in the punishment and hinting that they are willing to do far worse, I doubt that any other school will ever try and pull a coverup like this any time soon.

The NCAA has never had a precident like this, so yeah, if something that bad happens of course they are going to want to set the precident that they will come down hard and fast on this type of issue.
I understand that the NCAA can do what they did in not following their own rules for investigating potential rules violations.

I don't believe that was the right move. I believe it was a PR move to expedite a ruling based on the Freeh report and not do a full NCAA investigation.

Rarely does setting aside the normal way to have a rules violation end in the right decision being made.

Old
08-06-2012, 12:50 PM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
I understand that the NCAA can do what they did in not following their own rules for investigating potential rules violations.

I don't believe that was the right move. I believe it was a PR move to expedite a ruling based on the Freeh report and not do a full NCAA investigation.

Rarely does setting aside the normal way to have a rules violation end in the right decision being made.
Honestly, do you believe they could have done a better job then the investigation of the Freeh report?

Old
08-07-2012, 01:39 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Trustees appealing sanctions:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ederal-lawsuit

Old
08-07-2012, 07:40 AM
rkorchinski

Quote:
Things could get ugly here. Not sure PSU really wants to go this route. The BOT is trying to argue that the President had no right to accept the deal without their consent. On the flip side, NCAA could double down on PSU and make penalties much worse.

Not much to gain for PSU in this.

rkorchinski is offline   Reply With Quote