HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Is the Blue Jacket defense a finished product?

Old
07-24-2012, 09:26 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 500
Of the 3 younger CBJ defensemen how would they br ranked as far as readiness to play at the NHL level? Obviously Moore has played here, I havent seen Erixon play. And Murray was just drafted but is considered "NHL ready" by some analysts / scouts.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 09:32 PM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
Of the 3 younger CBJ defensemen how would they br ranked as far as readiness to play at the NHL level? Obviously Moore has played here, I havent seen Erixon play. And Murray was just drafted but is considered "NHL ready" by some analysts / scouts.
It's not clear which is why training camp, preseason, and the first 10 games will be very interesting to watch.

Nanabijou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2012, 10:02 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
Looking at Erixon's contract, he signed a pretty sweet deal for his draft pick number (23rd overall) when he jumped from the Flames to the Rangers.

His signing bonus this year of 90 K should have been payed earlier this month by NYR (we also saved on the $1 million signing bonus to Dubinsky). His contract is the max of 900K but there is a pretty big $850,000 performance bonus. Johansen has about a million in performance bonus which is about the norm for a #4 pick, but Moore (21st overall) has a $125 K bonus.

I can't find out what triggers his performance bonus - out of curiosity I wonder how obtainable it is? At the least they increase the cap hit, so it helps in making sure the Jackets are above the floor. Currently, we are about $2 million above the floor with all the new contracts (including bonuses) factored in.
The Rangers didn't have much to negotiate when they acquired Erixon. If they didn't meet the terms demanded by his agent Jay Grossman,Erixon would have re-entered the 2011 draft. $850,000 is the MAX "A" performance bonus money.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 08:40 AM
EspenK

Just saw this on nhl.com (its a bit dated so if this is a repeat I apologize) http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...vid=nhl-search

Howson brings up Johnson, James Wisniewski, Fedor Tyutin, Adrian Aucoin and Nikita Nikitin as the top-five,

So that leaves Murray,Moore,Erixon and Savard, to battle for 2 spots, which everybody knows. To me the surprising thing was saying AA is top 5. Kind of implies to me that he is going to be playing a lot, leaving the 6th spot as the rotating door unless one of the 4 candidates really stands out.

I think all of them need lots of playing time so I think the maximum long term benefit to the Jackets is to let Murray play 9 and then back to juniors. Let the other three rotate between here and Springfield with the possibility of adding one of Holden, Golubef or Prout to the NHL roster from time to time to free up some playing time for 2 of the three in Springfield. Talk about your logjam. The jackets finally have "too much" depth at a position-

And looking to the future(which could be anytime past today), I see trade value developing.

Nice problem to have-now hopefully they manage it correctly.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 09:26 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
Erixon is just about ready for regular time. He got spot duty with the Rangers last season and he might be the best athlete among the three "younger guns"

I still think Murray will be the odd man out this season.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 01:01 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Erixon is just about ready for regular time. He got spot duty with the Rangers last season and he might be the best athlete among the three "younger guns"

I still think Murray will be the odd man out this season.
I'm not so sure, the team acquired Aucoin for one year pretty much to mentor Murray

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 01:04 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
I'm not so sure, the team acquired Aucoin for one year pretty much to mentor Murray
Other than speculation here, has this been definitively reported anywhere? I mean for Murray as the main reason? Obviously his presence should help all the youngins'

Last edited by EspenK: 08-04-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old
08-04-2012, 01:16 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Other than speculation here, has this been definitively reported anywhere? I mean for Murray as the main reason? Obviously his presence should help all the youngins'
I don't think it was explicitly said. I just figured that signing him was primarily for Murray. You're right, it should help all of the young defensemen

Old
08-04-2012, 01:26 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
It could also be that Aucoin is going to be the "next" player thats sort of groomed into a role within the organization, I'd suspect this is his final season playing anyways....

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
I think he'd be perfectly fine mentoring Erixon or Moore or Savard too. Just a thought.

Besides, he could end up going the Prospal route w/r/t one-year-contract-each-year if things go very well. Indeed, I'm kinda hoping for that (both in terms of getting a similar mentor on the blueline and in terms of the kind of Aucoin performance that would mandate such an approach.)

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 01:56 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I think he'd be perfectly fine mentoring Erixon or Moore or Savard too. Just a thought.

Besides, he could end up going the Prospal route w/r/t one-year-contract-each-year if things go very well. Indeed, I'm kinda hoping for that (both in terms of getting a similar mentor on the blueline and in terms of the kind of Aucoin performance that would mandate such an approach.)
Yeah, I posted that a bit after in response to Espen

As for Aucoin having that extra year, I suppose we will see how he performs this year. I don't know if he'll still be able to play at age forty

Old
08-04-2012, 08:08 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

I don't think it matters all that much. Even if Murray stays, all of those guys will get plenty of playing time.

There will be injuries, and probably more than we like, as usual. The guys that end up in the A will see plenty of call-ups imho.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 08:53 PM
FlaggerX

Quote:
I think the team acquired Aucoin primarily because it had no proven veterans for the third pairing, and the most likely people involved-- Moore and Murray were green as grass. At his age Aucoin knows he's not here for the long hall, so he'll be expected to mentor the young people who will replace them. But no matter how talented, do you really want to go into the season knowing that rookies and/or second year players are going to anchor your third pairing? It might happen anyway-- due to injuries, but at least we have an alternative ready as the season begins.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 05:58 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaggerX View Post
I think the team acquired Aucoin primarily because it had no proven veterans for the third pairing, and the most likely people involved-- Moore and Murray were green as grass. At his age Aucoin knows he's not here for the long hall, so he'll be expected to mentor the young people who will replace them. But no matter how talented, do you really want to go into the season knowing that rookies and/or second year players are going to anchor your third pairing? It might happen anyway-- due to injuries, but at least we have an alternative ready as the season begins.
It has to happen someday, or it'll take four years or more to get Moore,Murray,Erixon & Savard into the lineup. Although the way the D is now constructed (and length of contracts), either Nikitin goes back to "Who?" or two of the top 4 will have to get traded for all four to become regulars. Again a good problem to have.

Old
08-06-2012, 08:20 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post

I still think Murray will be the odd man out this season
I tend to agree, I think he needs a year of physical maturity based on what we saw at camp in July. Does he have to go back to Juniors or is he old enough for AHL hockey? He needs to play against men, not 16 year olds.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 09:35 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
I tend to agree, I think he needs a year of physical maturity based on what we saw at camp in July. Does he have to go back to Juniors or is he old enough for AHL hockey? He needs to play against men, not 16 year olds.
No, it's Columbus or Juniors.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 12:42 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Howson brings up Johnson, James Wisniewski, Fedor Tyutin, Adrian Aucoin and Nikita Nikitin as the top-five,

So that leaves Murray,Moore,Erixon and Savard, to battle for 2 spots, which everybody knows.
Right, we already knew that.

Quote:
To me the surprising thing was saying AA is top 5. Kind of implies to me that he is going to be playing a lot, leaving the 6th spot as the rotating door unless one of the 4 candidates really stands out.
Why are we surprised? We knew that AA was brought in here to play. You can't mentor a kid much from the press box. The likelihood of a kid as the number 7 a given. A rotating door? Doubt it. There really isn't much to see here as injuries will probably take care of some of it.

As I said a while ago, one of our top four is probably going to be traded at some point in the not so far distant future. Frankly, Howson has created a depth issue that he is going to have to resolve at some point. Three of those guys will probably make a case to be on the team this season.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Why are we surprised? We knew that AA was brought in here to play. You can't mentor a kid much from the press box. The likelihood of a kid as the number 7 a given. A rotating door? Doubt it. There really isn't much to see here as injuries will probably take care of some of it.

As I said a while ago, one of our top four is probably going to be traded at some point in the not so far distant future. Frankly, Howson has created a depth issue that he is going to have to resolve at some point. Three of those guys will probably make a case to be on the team this season.
Can we put a "finally" to this? I don't know a time where the CBJ ever had a position where the words "depth" and "necessary move" could be used. I, for one, want to see how this new found depth performs prior to moving anyone (not suggesting you are advocating doing such a thing at this time). It will be nice to see if our depth pays off in improved "team" and results. JJ and Tyutin likely offer the most value but I could easily see Nikitin jumping up there if he picks up where he left off. If so, he may be on one of the best contracts in the NHL for the next two years. Tall order, I know, but he showed beyond promise last year.

Maybe some bullets for future help up front.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Wait, Anisimov is a defensemen? I thought he was a forward....

08-06-2012, 02:02 PM
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
AA=Adrian Aucoin

bizzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 02:03 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizoncol View Post
AA=Adrian Aucoin
Ah, makes sense.

We probably shouldn't use AA as an abbreviation since we have 2.

Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
As if folks using "RJ" to refer to Johansen wasn't confusing enough, now we have two AAs.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 04:49 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
As if folks using "RJ" to refer to Johansen wasn't confusing enough, now we have two AAs.
One has to be double-A and one has to be A-Squared. We just need to decided which is which.

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 05:35 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

We have a team of alliterates. Not sure if a real word. Edit, It is: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/alliterate

AA twice, DD, NN, JJ.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 05:51 PM
blahblah

Figured context would sort out it out. Guess not.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote