HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Lineup thread (post FA period)

Old
08-06-2012, 01:38 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

vCash: 500
I know ppl don't want to hear it, but there is no way DD is moved to the LW, if anyone is moved to wing its Eller. Eller has played that position before, and also is more suited for the wing than DD, who would be useless on the wing, he isn't a strong guy, like other strong wings, etc Gionta, MSL, he is a guy that is good in open ice. Where as Eller is good along the boards. Eller has been used on the wing before, even Denmark at the Worlds this summer played him on LW at times. Even Rick Dudley a few weeks back on Toronto radio talked about how he liked Eller, and how he felt that he could play all 3 forward positions. I know Eller is a better player at Centre, but the drop you get by moving him to the wing, is less than what it would be to move DD.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 01:44 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

In regards to lineup for next year, I see a battle for 1 spot by Gallagher,Gally,Leblanc

With Gally

Patches-DD-Cole
Gally-Plek-Gionta
Prust-Eller-Bourque
Moen-Noke-White/Armstrong

With Gallagher or Leblanc

Patches-DD-Cole
Bourque-Pleck-Gionta
Prust-Eller-Gallagher/Leblanc
Moen-Noke-White/Armstrong

The D is a lock unless a move is made

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Kaberle-Bouillon
Daiz/Weber

I can see Weber trade for a similar player in regards to development, but is more defensive and physical (ex Colten Teubert), who would then spilt duties with Bouillon on the 3rd pair, bu

Old
08-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
I know ppl don't want to hear it, but there is no way DD is moved to the LW, if anyone is moved to wing its Eller. Eller has played that position before, and also is more suited for the wing than DD, who would be useless on the wing, he isn't a strong guy, like other strong wings, etc Gionta, MSL, he is a guy that is good in open ice. Where as Eller is good along the boards. Eller has been used on the wing before, even Denmark at the Worlds this summer played him on LW at times. Even Rick Dudley a few weeks back on Toronto radio talked about how he liked Eller, and how he felt that he could play all 3 forward positions. I know Eller is a better player at Centre, but the drop you get by moving him to the wing, is less than what it would be to move DD.
Based on what we've seen from Eller this far in the NHL, he isn't comfortable on the wing. He plays at his best at center and keeping him there also fills a need for us: having a center bigger than 5'11 out there. How do you know that DD's game isn't suited on the wing? DD has shown in any league that's he's played in that he doesn't struggle to adapt when given the opportunity to accept a new role. If he plays with two big teammates, Desharnais won't really have to do any board work (which he's amazing at btw for such a small guy).

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 01:58 PM
No Team Needed

Patches - DD - Cole
Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Gionta
Moen - Eller - Bourque/Leblanc
Prust - Nokia - Armstrong/White

Gorges - Subban
Markov - Boullion
Kaberle - Emelin
Diaz

Leblanc will play in the AHL until Bourque cracks or there is a trade to make room for him. Galchenyuk I believe will make himself impossible to send to the OHL. I think Therrien will rely on Cube to play with Markov until Emelin proves himself more.

I also have a feeling Therrien might break up the top line to balance the top six better if we see any injuries.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 02:05 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
Based on what we've seen from Eller this far in the NHL, he isn't comfortable on the wing. He plays at his best at center and keeping him there also fills a need for us: having a center bigger than 5'11 out there. How do you know that DD's game isn't suited on the wing? DD has shown in any league that's he's played in that he doesn't struggle to adapt when given the opportunity to accept a new role. If he plays with two big teammates, Desharnais won't really have to do any board work (which he's amazing at btw for such a small guy).
I kinda made the assumption that one of DD or Eller would be moved to wing once Gally was ready, so we would still have a big centre.

But like I said, Eller is better as a centre, but I just don't see DD having any success on the wing.

The wingers are the ones first in on the fore-check, and while DD is good along the boards when he has the puck, usually using his powerful legs to protect the puck, he would be useless on the fore-check, most small wingers like Gionta who have success, have very strong upper body strength, which DD doesn't have.

Old
08-06-2012, 02:07 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Eller hasn't shown it, but how can he possibly show it if Bourque is on his line?

I watched the games. Eller would make great passes and Bourque would fan. There's just no way for him to succeed in that role. Note that his goalscoring was actually reasonable.

It's also fair to say that Eller could be a great 3rd line center, but if he has the potential to be more we'd be selling ourselves short by developing him for that status.

Gomez was playing good minutes at the start of last season. Let's not pretend that Gomez' injury had nothing to do with it.

October 6th, 2011, vs Toronto: Gomez played 17:10
October 9th, 2011 vs Winnipeg, Gomez played 18:49
October 13th, 2011 vs Calgary, Gomez played 17:13
October 15th, 2011 vs Colorado, Gomez played 16:45
October 18th, 2011 vs Buffalo, Gomez played 19:10
October 20th 2011 vs Pittsburgh, Gomez played 02:40.
Gomez doesn't play the following few games. Desharnais eventually becomes a top-2 center. He had about the same minutes as Desharnais in those games.
My god.....you are supporting my case. Gomez didn't get his job back when he returned because Desharnais beat him out for the spot.

As for Eller playing with Bourque. You do realize that Bourque has scored more goals over the previous 2 seasons than anyone else on the roster........just sayin'

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 02:17 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Gomez didn't get his job back when he returned because Desharnais beat him out for the spot.
That was my point.

Once Gomez was out of the lineup, space was cleared allowing Desharnais to prove himself. It's not just that he sucked or whatever.

That's how players often get promoted.

Quote:
As for Eller playing with Bourque. You do realize that Bourque has scored more goals over the previous 2 seasons than anyone else on the roster........just sayin'
Bourque was once a good player, no doubt about it.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 02:19 PM
muzion

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
I kinda made the assumption that one of DD or Eller would be moved to wing once Gally was ready, so we would still have a big centre.

But like I said, Eller is better as a centre, but I just don't see DD having any success on the wing.

The wingers are the ones first in on the fore-check, and while DD is good along the boards when he has the puck, usually using his powerful legs to protect the puck, he would be useless on the fore-check, most small wingers like Gionta who have success, have very strong upper body strength, which DD doesn't have.
DD played on Gomez's wing against Boston in that 7th game, and was the best player on the ice before getting injured...

muzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 02:22 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzion View Post
DD played on Gomez's wing against Boston in that 7th game, and was the best player on the ice before getting injured...
He was put there near the end of the game, and it was pretty much rush after rush on both ends.

Take it for what its worth, the Habs actually asked DD to play wing a few things when he first called up and he didn't want, and until that game when they basically forced him midway thru the game that he played some of the game with Gomez and Gionta on the wing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htJ1xmCxulE

very end of the video

Last edited by habs03: 08-06-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old
08-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Teufelsdreck

If the tankards have their way, the lineup would be far worse than it is. Of course, that's what they want, because teams draft in the inverse order of their finish. I'd settle for getting rid of Gomez despite the fact that his absence would have little effect on where the Habs finish this season. However, it would open up all sorts of opportunities next June or July.

Last edited by Teufelsdreck: 08-06-2012 at 03:02 PM. Reason: afterthought
Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 03:51 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Bourque was once a good player, no doubt about it.
There is some speculation that the reason Bourque has fallen is because he keeps being played as a left winger and he's just not able to convert. He's strictly a right winger and playing him in another position is silly. It's the same thing that happened to Erik Cole in Edmonton. They tried him on the left wing and he couldn't crack 20 goals like he had in the three seasons prior and the two full seasons afterwards.

In other words, unless we move Cole or Gionta, Bourque is staying on the third line. Now, it's entirely possible that in the pre-season, Therrien sees Bourque as a better fit on Plek's wing than Gionta and Gionta moves to finishing Eller's passes. That said, if Therrien is going to play players in their nautral positions, there's just no room for Bourque unless there's a trade or he performs better with Plek.

I think Moen - Eller - Bourque would be a phenomenal third line for Montreal and if Bourque performs well, moving Gionta to the line isn't going to hurt anything. Hopefully Therrien finds where players play best instead of where we need to plug holes.

Old
08-06-2012, 04:07 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
There is some speculation that the reason Bourque has fallen is because he keeps being played as a left winger and he's just not able to convert. He's strictly a right winger and playing him in another position is silly. It's the same thing that happened to Erik Cole in Edmonton. They tried him on the left wing and he couldn't crack 20 goals like he had in the three seasons prior and the two full seasons afterwards.

In other words, unless we move Cole or Gionta, Bourque is staying on the third line. Now, it's entirely possible that in the pre-season, Therrien sees Bourque as a better fit on Plek's wing than Gionta and Gionta moves to finishing Eller's passes. That said, if Therrien is going to play players in their nautral positions, there's just no room for Bourque unless there's a trade or he performs better with Plek.

I think Moen - Eller - Bourque would be a phenomenal third line for Montreal and if Bourque performs well, moving Gionta to the line isn't going to hurt anything. Hopefully Therrien finds where players play best instead of where we need to plug holes.
I hope you're right about Bourque. However, based on what I saw last year, "Bourque twice scored 27 goals" might well be equivalent to "Gomez has had five 70 point seasons". All I saw in Bourque was a floater fanning on Eller's lovely passes. No physicality, no drive, hands of stone.

By the way Cole was fine in Edmonton. He scored 16 goals in 63 games, that's about how he's most of his entire career.

Old
08-06-2012, 04:10 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post

You may be correct but Bourque's biggest enemy has always been between his ears.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:35 AM
Burke the Legend

Unless Galchenyuk puts up near PPG in his first 8 games, he's going back to OHL.

I could see Leblanc being in top 6 after a few months when Bourque fails. Last season, playing limited minutes, everytime he touched the puck he made a nice play, I think he could breakout with decent minutes and proper linemates.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:41 AM
Andy

I just remembered that Therrien is our coach. I literally forgot about that fact. Wow.

Therrien....Sigh.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Roulin

If the forwards stay the same, and Gomez is still on the team...

Prust-Plekanec-Gionta

Y'all will hate this. I wish the Habs had another skilled winger, but management appears to have decided to go in another direction. This line would be matched against the opposition's best, playing with Gorges-Subban as often as possible. Prust could be swapped out for Bourque, Eller, Palushaj or another hot hand when we are trailing late in the game, and on the PP.

Moen-Eller-White

Again, this will not be popular, but we just don't have enough skilled wingers who can get the puck to the good end of the ice. This line would take more than their share of d-zone faceoffs. Eller will need to get better in the circle... hopefully having a winger (White, maybe Leblanc at some point) with some faceoff experience will allow him to cheat a bit.

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole

Obviously. They'll need to put up points again, so start them in the offensive zone as much as possible.

Bourque-Gomez-Armstrong

The rehab line. Try to get some secondary scoring out of them. Play them against rookies and 4th lines. If Armstrong sucks, or is still concussed, Palushaj could take his job. The most successful of these players could get some extra minutes with Plekanec-Gionta.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:48 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post

Prust-Plekanec-Gionta

Y'all will hate this. I wish the Habs had another skilled winger, but management appears to have decided to go in another direction. This line would be matched against the opposition's best, playing with Gorges-Subban as often as possible. Prust could be swapped out for Bourque, Eller, Palushaj or another hot hand when we are trailing late in the game, and on the PP.

Moen-Eller-White

Again, this will not be popular, but we just don't have enough skilled wingers who can get the puck to the good end of the ice. This line would take more than their share of d-zone faceoffs. Eller will need to get better in the circle... hopefully having a winger (White, maybe Leblanc at some point) with some faceoff experience will allow him to cheat a bit.

Obviously. They'll need to put up points again, so start them in the offensive zone as much as possible.

Bourque-Gomez-Armstrong

The rehab line. Try to get some secondary scoring out of them. Play them against rookies and 4th lines. If Armstrong sucks, or is still concussed, Palushaj could take his job. The most successful of these players could get some extra minutes with Plekanec-Gionta.
We'd be bottom 5 again

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 02:20 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
All I saw in Bourque was a floater fanning on Eller's lovely passes. No physicality, no drive, hands of stone.
I saw the same but trades effect players in different ways. Cammalleri got sparked, Bourque got cooled down. Because

Quote:
By the way Cole was fine in Edmonton. He scored 16 goals in 63 games, that's about how he's most of his entire career.
Bourque had 13 goals in 38 games for Calgary last season. In the same amount of games for Montreal he only scored 5. Meaning unlike Gomez where he's had a career decline, we're talking about a guy who was fine scoring 13 goals in 38 games for another team, came to Montreal and could only score 5.

I saw a post up where someone was fretting Therrien being coach but Therrien is a boot camp coach. He'll work you to the bone and make you play hard for everything. The problem with Therrien is you cannot boot camp a team forever. I think he could get Rene going and if he doesn't, Bergevin will have to buy him out.

Old
08-07-2012, 02:44 PM
Soltantgris

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Leblanc
Bourque - Plekanec - Cole
Prust - Eller - Gionta
Moen - Niko - Armstrong
White

Soltantgris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post

Prust-Plekanec-Gionta

Moen-Eller-White

Bourque-Gomez-Armstrong

White will be on the 4th line. Dudley said that he believes Armstrong can get back to scoring 20 goals. They clearly don't intend to play him on the 4th line.

Old
08-07-2012, 02:54 PM
Soltantgris

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Collberg
Gallagher - Eller - Leblanc
Bournival - Holland - Bozon
Vail - Dumont - Schultz

Ok ok ma yeule

Soltantgris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 06:43 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
White will be on the 4th line. Dudley said that he believes Armstrong can get back to scoring 20 goals. They clearly don't intend to play him on the 4th line.
Well, they clearly hope that Gionta and Cole play better than Armstrong, so it's not like he (Armstrong) can/should move any higher than the 3rd line - unless he learns a new position, of course...

So if it ends up being Armstrong and Leblanc (for example) fighting for the most bottom-6 RWer ice time, I hardly assume that it's a foregone conclusion that Armstrong will win that one throughout the entire course of the season. I personally don't think that much of Palushaj, to be honest, but I'm not sure that he's much weaker competition for those spots either, at this point.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 06:57 PM
DAChampion

Dudley said that Armstrong might score 20 goals (minimum 2nd line ice time), that Prust was signed to play on the 3rd line... is he aware of limited ice time?

Old
08-07-2012, 07:11 PM
Habitant le colon

This is what we fear

FOWARDS

13 FOWARDS : [35.633] 14 FOWARDS : [36.178] (Blunden)

1st line : [6.975]

Pacioretty - Deharnais - Cole
(6f01 203lbs) - (5f07 177lbs) - (6f02 205lbs)
[1.625] - [0.850] - [4.500]

2nd line : [13.333]

Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta
(6f02 211lbs) - (5f10 189lbs) - (5f07 173lbs)
[3.333] - [5.000] - [5.000]

3rd line : [5.675]

Prust - Eller - Moen
(6f00 192lbs) - (6f02 198lbs) - (6f02 215lbs)
[2.500] - [1.325] - [1.850]

4th line : [9.045]

White - Gomez - Armstrong
(6f00 193lbs) - (5f11 198lbs) - (6f02 195lbs)
[0.688] - [7.357] - [1.000]

Extra : [0.575]

Nokelainen
(6f01 202lbs)
[0.575]

---------------------------------------------------------------

DEFENCEMEN

7 DEFENCEMEN : [19.475] + SUBBAN : [?.???] ***

1st pair : [3.900]

Gorges - Subban
(6f01 200lbs) - (6f00 206lbs)
[3.900] - [X.XXX]

2nd pair : [6.975]

Markov - Diaz
(6f00 207lbs) - (5f11 194lbs)
[5.750] - [1.225]

3rd pair : [6.250]

Emelin - Kaberle
(6f02 223lbs) - (6f01 214lbs)
[2.000] - [4.250]

Extra : [2.350]

Bouillon - Weber
(5f08 198lbs) - (5f11 193lbs)
[1.500] - [0.850]

GOALIES

2 GOALIES: [7.650]

Starter : [6.500]

Price
(6f03 219lbs)

Back up : [1.150]

Budaj
(6f01 200lbs)

This is what we can dream

FOWARDS

13 FOWARDS : [31.471] 14 FOWARDS : [32.046] (Blunden)

Fact is we all hope to see Gomez somewhere else ; why don't we send him to the Wheeling in the ECHL ?

1st line : [6.975]

Pacioretty - Deharnais - Cole
(6f01 203lbs) - (5f07 177lbs) - (6f02 205lbs)
[1.625] - [0.850] - [4.500]

2nd line : [13.225]

Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Gionta

(6f01 185lbs) - (5f10 189lbs) - (5f07 173lbs)
[3.225] - [5.000] - [5.000]

We all dream that our first choice can be NHL ready even with his last year injury.

3rd line : [6.508]

Moen - Eller - Bourque
(6f02 215lbs) - (6f02 198lbs) - (6f02 211lbs)
[1.850] - [1.325] - [3.333]

If it's true that Bourque is a better player on the right wing let's give him a spot with Eller to proove it !

4th line : [4.188]

Prust - White - Armstrong

(6f00 192lbs) - (6f00 193lbs) - (6f02 195lbs)
[2.500] - [0.688] - [1.000]

Extra : [0.575]

Nokelainen
(6f01 202lbs)
[0.575]

DEFENCEMEN

7 DEFENCEMEN : [19.475] + SUBBAN : [?.???] ***

1st pair : [3.900]

Gorges - Subban

(6f01 200lbs) - (6f00 206lbs)
[3.900] - [X.XXX]

2nd pair : [6.975]

Markov - Diaz
(6f00 207lbs) - (5f11 194lbs)
[5.750] - [1.225]

3rd pair : [6.250]

Emelin - Kaberle

(6f02 223lbs) - (6f01 214lbs)
[2.000] - [4.250]

Extra : [2.350]

Bouillon - Weber
(5f08 198lbs) - (5f11 193lbs)
[1.500] - [0.850]

GOALIES

2 GOALIES: [7.650]

Starter : [6.500]

Price

(6f03 219lbs)

Back up : [1.150]

Budaj

(6f01 200lbs)

Habitant le colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:08 PM
Roulin

Quote:
I don't think playing tough opposition with Eller vs soft opposition with Gomez is going to be the difference between getting 20 goals or not. IMO a bigger factor is going to be PP time. I don't think Armstrong is one of our best options on the PP, but I guess you never know. Regardless of what Bergevin has said, I don't see Armstrong having a long leash, with that 1mil contract. He can be benched or have his time limited without much financial pain to the organization.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote