HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

2012 Free Agency Thread - Part XXII: Doan Go Breakin My Heart Edition

View Poll Results: So where do you think we go from here?
RayRay will sign a UFA quality wing in the preseason 4 2.67%
RayRay will sign a UFA grinder because thatís just how we roll 13 8.67%
RayRay will swing a preseason trade for a quality wing 19 12.67%
RayRay will swing a preseason trade for a grinder 2 1.33%
RayRay will give Adams a $11.5 million raise. 22 14.67%
RayRay will swing a trade deadline trade for a quality wing 62 41.33%
RayRay will buy himself $12 million of bling and rock this house 10 6.67%
Who gives a ****? Edward and Bella broke up, OMG 18 12.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
08-06-2012, 02:16 PM
mpp9

vCash: 500
Ryan Suter does not solve their issues on the backend. They absolutely need another top 4 guy.

I'd like to see us go after Clutterbuck no matter what they end up doing. He brings a lot of what we need on the wing. Can take on Cooke's role when his day is done here and has the upside to be a third wheel in the top 6.

Old
08-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
I know right. I swear we're becoming the new Leafs fans with some of these proposals this summer.
Lol. We're not that bad yet but I get what you're saying

When we start talking about Martin like he's going to give us the same return as Tomas Kaberle or Ales Hemsky, I'll be concerned.

Old
08-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
Though I still don't understand how the league can set this operating cap number of $70.3M or whatever it is, only to make a new CBA deal and have teams scrambling to get under some lower figure.
We know that how the cap will get determined going forward will change. However we don't know exactly how it will change. It's possible they do something like lower the % (and thus the cap), but also change the way the ceiling/floor is determined. So the max is still ~65/70m but the floor changes from 56m to 45/50m. Or they give a 1 yr grace on the new cap (although I doubt this).

GMs need a cap number going into the summer. However the cap is determined by the CBA. Now the league knows the revenue numbers (~3.3B). So even lowering the cap to ~52% only lowers the cap to ~64m. There's currently only 6 teams who's salary is higher than 64m (SJ, PHI, CGY, VAN, MIN, BOS), and another 7 teams who's salary is higher than 60m (PIT, TOR, BUF, LA, CHI, EDM, TBL, MTL).

So it's not going to be the end of the world if the cap goes down a bit, as most teams are still in a good position. Boston could trade Thomas to a floor team so they get to count his cap hit, and Minny could move DH while taking back a smaller contract (either a forward or D), or move Backstrom and both would be fine. Van could move Lu. I think out of all of them, only Calgary would be in trouble due to all the NTCs handed out.

Edit: This also might have had some play in the Michalek trade. He picked up someone he liked and lots of cap space. Either for when the cap goes down, or just for future signings.

Old
08-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Ryan Suter does not solve their issues on the backend. They absolutely need another top 4 guy.

I'd like to see us go after Clutterbuck no matter what they end up doing. He brings a lot of what we need on the wing. Can take on Cooke's role when his day is done here and has the upside to be a third wheel in the top 6.
I'd be more on board for TK for Clutterbuck. Clutterbuck is a Bylsma player by definition...even more than Craig Adams (and is a good PKer).

I think Minnesota has to solve their cap issue by either dealing Bouchard or Backstrom. I think they want to deal Backstrom and give the starting job to Harding. Wouldn't be surprised to see Backstrom go to Toronto since Luongo doesn't want to play there.

Old
08-06-2012, 02:24 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Minnesota literally can't trade Seto for Martin straight up. They don't have the cap space. The trade has to send someone else our way. It would need to be Martin + prospect for Seto + roster player
Paul Martin + 2nd round draft pick for Devin Setoguchi + Kyle Brodziak?
Minnesota could give Torrey Mitchell a spot on that 3rd line

Old
08-06-2012, 02:27 PM
TheRollingPuck
Keep Calm & Corsi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Heatley can't play at pace, which is why he has trouble scoring goals once the intensity picks up during the playoffs. No thanks.
This, and his regular season numbers - what attracted some teams in the first place - have dropped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr sidney crosby View Post
2 time 50 goal scorer, younger then shane doan, faster than shane doan, better hands than shane doan... No thanks Shane doan > Dany Heatley.
His 50 goal days are in the rearview mirror.

Old
08-06-2012, 02:33 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Quote:
2 time 50 goal scorer, younger then shane doan, faster than shane doan, better hands than shane doan... No thanks Shane doan > Dany Heatley.
Heatley has never been fast, and that problem is only getting worse with time. I don't think he's faster. Doan brings more intensity, leadership, grit and produces at a similar pace these days.

Old
08-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Kimble View Post
Heatley has never been fast, and that problem is only getting worse with time. I don't think he's faster. Doan brings more intensity, leadership, grit and produces at a similar pace these days.
Yep. Heatley is pretty slow. Not Dave Andreychuk slow, but he's going to be there.

He scored most of his goals in the past in the slot on the PP. We have James Neal for that now.

Old
08-06-2012, 02:38 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Why can't we get both? Paul martin+ tyler kennedy is 7 million, and dany heatley is 7 million. Brian duloulin seems nhl ready and can fill in the 5th or 6th spot and niskanen can be promoted to a top 4 defensemen spot.
Because we can't just trade our expendable players (although I'd argue Martin isn't expendable yet) for other team's stars. Plus, Minny is right up against the contract limit so trading 2 contracts for 1 won't work for them. That would have to be a post training camp move.

Old
08-06-2012, 02:52 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...nclick_check=1

"If the Predators don’t land Shane Doan, they’ll look to the trade market to address their needs. If they aren’t able to bring anyone in, look for youngsters like Craig Smith and Gabriel Bourque to have bigger roles. This is a crucial year for Colin Wilson who was scratched for 6 of their 10 playoff games. A Bobby Ryan trade is possible, though the Ducks may be unwilling to trade him to a Western Conference team. The Preds may need to make a deal for a blueline. Jonathan Blum and Ryan Ellis may be their 5th and 6th defensemen. They did have interest in Paul Martin earlier in the off-season, but it appears he’s remaining with the Penguins."

Old
08-06-2012, 02:55 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Oh how things could have gone if Suter wasn't bent on going West.

Whatever.. I wanna see Paul Martin have a bounce back season for the Pens. He was my favourite FA signing the Pens made.. until last year of course.

Old
08-06-2012, 03:03 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Oh how things could have gone if Suter wasn't bent on going West.

Whatever.. I wanna see Paul Martin have a bounce back season for the Pens. He was my favourite FA signing the Pens made.. until last year of course.
It would be a pity to lose some of our young D for nothing. We'll have to clear up some space on the backend this year in order to do that.

I think we can all pretty much agree that Lovejoy should be gone... followed by Martin if he can fetch us an ideal winger of course.

Old
08-06-2012, 03:17 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
It would be a pity to lose some of our young D for nothing. We'll have to clear up some space on the backend this year in order to do that.

I think we can all pretty much agree that Lovejoy should be gone... followed by Martin if he can fetch us an ideal winger of course.
Bortuzzo and Strait haven't even played consistent bottom pairing minutes on the team. I'm not ready to throw them in the top 4.. Despres deserves a spot, and maybe one of Strait/Bortuzzo.. but not both.

Old
08-06-2012, 03:21 PM
Riptide

Quote:

Forget Lovejoy. I think we all recognize that he's gone.

As for the D, I could see keeping Martin and moving Niskanen if Martin turns his game around fairly quickly. One thing that Martin has over Niskanen is the ability to play a shutdown role. If we can get Martin the right partner (a larger physical defensive type - Dumoulin perhaps?), I think they could excel at that. I don't see Niskanen ever having this ability. I like him better as an overall D who's younger and has a nicer contract... but that could also mean we could fetch a better return from him...

Old
Shady Machine

Quote:
Bortuzzo and Strait haven't even played consistent bottom pairing minutes on the team. I'm not ready to throw them in the top 4.. Despres deserves a spot, and maybe one of Strait/Bortuzzo.. but not both.
That's why we will likely roll with 8 d to start the year. I say you rotate Strait, Bort, and Engel in and out of the lineup and see which of Strait or Bort sticks. Trade the other one or injuries will inevitably happen and keep both. We aren't talking about the top 4 for either. It will be bottom pairing minutes or in the press box.

Old
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
I agree. If Martin gets moved it'll be mid-season after other guys have a chance to prove they can take his spot.

Old
08-06-2012, 03:25 PM
Riptide

Quote:
They never had that chance due to the vets in front of them... not because they couldn't do it. Although I think we'd be hard pressed to move Martin at this point due to the amount of minutes he can play. Unless we're certain that Despres can play 20+ minutes a night... But it wouldn't bother me in the least to start with 2 rookies all during the regular season. We do need to get them icetime to see what they can do.

Old
08-06-2012, 03:28 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
That's why we will likely roll with 8 d to start the year. I say you rotate Strait, Bort, and Engel in and out of the lineup and see which of Strait or Bort sticks. Trade the other one or injuries will inevitably happen and keep both. We aren't talking about the top 4 for either. It will be bottom pairing minutes or in the press box.
It's about trading Martin for the sake of having one of Bort/Strait in the lineup. I'd rather not, or at least see if Martin bounces back first.

Old
08-06-2012, 03:34 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
It's about trading Martin for the sake of having one of Bort/Strait in the lineup. I'd rather not, or at least see if Martin bounces back first.
Oh I agree for sure. I must have misread your last post. I am suggesting we keep all of them and see what happens. If Martin becomes expendable, great.

Old
08-06-2012, 03:44 PM
redsono93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
I'd be more on board for TK for Clutterbuck. Clutterbuck is a Bylsma player by definition...even more than Craig Adams (and is a good PKer).

I think Minnesota has to solve their cap issue by either dealing Bouchard or Backstrom. I think they want to deal Backstrom and give the starting job to Harding. Wouldn't be surprised to see Backstrom go to Toronto since Luongo doesn't want to play there.
From reading some of the Wilds fans comments on this website they are not big fans of Clutterbuck saying he needs to stay on the 4th line. I wonder if TK can do the trick to obtain him.

Old
08-06-2012, 03:51 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...nclick_check=1

"If the Predators donít land Shane Doan, theyíll look to the trade market to address their needs. If they arenít able to bring anyone in, look for youngsters like Craig Smith and Gabriel Bourque to have bigger roles. This is a crucial year for Colin Wilson who was scratched for 6 of their 10 playoff games. A Bobby Ryan trade is possible, though the Ducks may be unwilling to trade him to a Western Conference team. The Preds may need to make a deal for a blueline. Jonathan Blum and Ryan Ellis may be their 5th and 6th defensemen. They did have interest in Paul Martin earlier in the off-season, but it appears heís remaining with the Penguins."
Martin for Weber.

Get it done Shero.

Old
08-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Martin for Weber.

Get it done Shero.
hold up. at best those quotes imply Martin for Wilson (which i'm sure is what you meant).

Old
08-06-2012, 05:05 PM
End of Line
Human After All

At the limit.

Continue here.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...3#post53331233

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Closed Thread