HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nationals, Wizards, DC United, O's, Ravens....DC area sports III

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2012, 02:42 PM
Capitlols

vCash: 500
Nats get Kurt Suzuki, solid pickup.

Old
08-03-2012, 02:59 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

That's a relief, at least in terms of defense. Curious to see how much cash the A's threw in.

Old
08-03-2012, 05:04 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Heck of a game from LaRoche so far. Ties it with a single, makes a wily veteran play to get a double play on a popped bunt, now homers.

Old
08-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Machado hit for the cycle the other day. Really heating up. His upside is ridiculous.

Old
08-06-2012, 01:08 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Pictures leaking out on new UMD uniforms:

I like the new, simplified, uniforms, and apparently Edsell is bringing back the players names on the back of the jersey's, but I am not feeling the helmut. Odd.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...96c8_blog.html

Old
08-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Duke33

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Pictures leaking out on new UMD uniforms:

I like the new, simplified, uniforms, and apparently Edsell is bringing back the players names on the back of the jersey's, but I am not feeling the helmut. Odd.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...96c8_blog.html
I'm not a Maryland guy but they need to stop worrying about their uniforms and work on their disaster of a football program. I always liked the simple red uniforms with "Terps" on the helmet. Some of the stuff they've been wearing is just ugly. The team has been equally as bad though.

Old
08-06-2012, 05:09 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

We've had this debate a few times in these parts, but I'm always on the side of new and a bit out there is better than simple.

They don't have a classic style like Alabama or Notre Dame, so, they have to make a mark somehow with new athletes.

It worked for Oregon, and hopefully, it can work a bit with Maryland.

Old
08-06-2012, 05:17 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

What's UMD's relationship with Under Armor? Oregon didn't have to pay for all their ridiculous uniforms since Nike is associated with the University. UMD just seems to be wasting money.

Old
08-06-2012, 06:14 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
What's UMD's relationship with Under Armor? Oregon didn't have to pay for all their ridiculous uniforms since Nike is associated with the University. UMD just seems to be wasting money.
I'm pretty UA was either based out of MD initially or the guy that started might have been a graduate but I'm not sure.

Yep looks like I was right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_Armour

Quote:
The company was founded in 1996 by Kevin Plank, a 23-year old former University of Maryland special teams captain for the university American football team. Plank began the business from his grandmother's basement in Washington, D.C.
Plank, who got tired of having to change out of the sweat-soaked T-shirts he wore under his jersey, noticed that his compression shorts stayed dry, which inspired him to make a T-shirt using moisture-wicking fabric for athletic performance. Major competing brands including Nike, Adidas and Reebok soon followed in Plank's footsteps with their own version of Under Armour's moisture-wicking apparel.[6]

08-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Maryland's a "flagship" university. Basically, like Nike is for Oregon, Under Armor is for Maryland. They crank out special uniforms that no one else gets, and they've got a lot of endowment in the program. They give the team, and basically the University a ton of gear for everything. They had something like 7 different uniform sets, and then had a few extra (including the Pride series) for the team just last season, and look to have a similar number this year.

It's a reciprocal connection, but they're not really spending a dime on the unis.

Old
08-06-2012, 07:45 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Yes, UMD IS the flagship sport team/University for Under Armor. Plank went to school there and used money saved up from his 1st buisness selling roses during Valentine's Day (Cupid's Valentine) while a student at UMD to start Under Armor. Plank is an interesting guy. Also, the famous "We Must Protect This House" guy was a LB at UMD:

Another interesting thing I read about a couple weeks ago was the travesty that was going to be UMD's new football field design:

But lucky for those of us that call Maryland home, and have no choice but to have the Terps represent our state at times, sane people prevailed in regards to the field design:

Fake turf or not, football fields should be green.

Old
08-06-2012, 09:22 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Actually a black artificial turf field would sort of look like a futuristic bad ass field. Probably would get old after a season though, heh.

Old
08-06-2012, 10:01 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Or the first September home Saturday with 90+ temps.

Old
08-06-2012, 10:02 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I liked the black field. UA was underwriting that one as well.

When your on the field product blows, it's an easy way to get in the national attention in other ways.

Old
08-07-2012, 12:13 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Getting creative with a basketball court is one thing, Oregon's is cool, but a huge football field is over the top, IMO. I do love the MD state flag design in the endzones though. Right place for something like that.

Old
08-07-2012, 12:18 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Just ran into the MLB power rankings on SI.com. Look who is on top:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...&sct=hp_t13_a3

Still getting used to seeing something like that.

Old
08-07-2012, 01:14 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Tillman looked good tonight, which means he's going to get shelled in the first in his next start. But suddenly the O's are only a half game out of the wild card.

Unrelated, whoever let mainstream sports reporters know about WAR needs to be shot. God damn are they abusing it.

Old
08-07-2012, 07:49 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I liked the black field. UA was underwriting that one as well.

When your on the field product blows, it's an easy way to get in the national attention in other ways.
I'm of the belief that they only got a nationally televised game last year (I believe it was ESPN2?) was because of the funky uniforms, but I'm not a college football guru. I watched part of that game since it was on and it was pretty terrible IMO.

I agree with the previous poster that a black field would be absolutely terrible when it is hot out. I worked for a road construction company for a short while and it was miserable being out on asphalt for very long and that was without much physical extertion. I cringe at the thought of fully padded players playing a game on an all black field.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Duke33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
I'm of the belief that they only got a nationally televised game last year (I believe it was ESPN2?) was because of the funky uniforms, but I'm not a college football guru. I watched part of that game since it was on and it was pretty terrible IMO.

I agree with the previous poster that a black field would be absolutely terrible when it is hot out. I worked for a road construction company for a short while and it was miserable being out on asphalt for very long and that was without much physical extertion. I cringe at the thought of fully padded players playing a game on an all black field.
They were on national TV against Notre Dame for sure. Played at the Redskins stadium, ten minutes from their campus and at least 90% of the crowd was cheering for ND. I know ND is a huge draw but still...that kinda says how much your fan base feels about you, outrageous uniforms or not.

Old
08-07-2012, 11:01 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Tillman looked good tonight, which means he's going to get shelled in the first in his next start. But suddenly the O's are only a half game out of the wild card.

Unrelated, whoever let mainstream sports reporters know about WAR needs to be shot. God damn are they abusing it.
Meh, the stat guys abuse WAR just as much as the mainstream guys.

Old
08-07-2012, 12:31 PM
Duke33

Quote:

I know most mainstream outlets have some sort of power rankings, but SI's are traditionally the most ludicrous. The Nats at #1 is about all they got right. The Cards at #3? Although they're behind the Reds and Pirates? Detroit, which has underachieved all season is 7 full spots ahead of the team they're chasing? The Mets and Phillies who are both under .500 are in the top 12?

Idiocy.

Old
08-08-2012, 08:36 AM
Duke33

Nationals are 67-43.

67-43.....! WTF. President's Cup!

Old
08-08-2012, 11:39 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Machado getting the call from the O's for Thursday.

Hope he starts.

Old
08-09-2012, 12:13 AM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Machado getting the call from the O's for Thursday.

Hope he starts.
I don't agree with it. He's only played 2 games at third and his fielding has been subpar in general(23 errors).

Old
08-09-2012, 12:20 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
I don't agree with it. He's only played 2 games at third and his fielding has been subpar in general(23 errors).
He's not up for his defense. And it'll be better than Reynolds'.

Closed Thread