HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Off Season Thread - Part dreiundzwanzig: Boring Summer edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-06-2012, 05:04 PM
  #1
End of Line
Moderator
Human After All
 
End of Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 19,437
vCash: 500
2012 Off Season Thread - Part dreiundzwanzig: Boring Summer edition

Continue.

__________________

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline  
Old
08-06-2012, 05:19 PM
  #2
AgentM
Registered User
 
AgentM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Allison Park, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib

I would be surprised if Doan signs with Pens. No way their offer is highest. But he hasn't scratched them off his list. Interest is mutual.
Expand

Josh Yohe Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib

Everything I am hearing indicates Doan will sign somewhere within a week. The Coyotes, Rangers, Pens and Canucks are the favorites.
Not sure if he got this from that joke that works for the NYPost, but if not this is the 2nd report that we are one of 4 finalists for Doan. The only thing that is fishy to me about this is that we're the only team on this list that Doan hasn't visited yet.

AgentM is offline  
Old
08-06-2012, 05:36 PM
  #3
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!
 
Jules Winnfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
Not sure if he got this from that joke that works for the NYPost, but if not this is the 2nd report that we are one of 4 finalists for Doan. The only thing that is fishy to me about this is that we're the only team on this list that Doan hasn't visited yet.
I thought Doan visited on the 28th, or was at least scheduled to?

Jules Winnfield is offline  
Old
08-06-2012, 05:40 PM
  #4
OnMyOwn
Extremist
 
OnMyOwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: State College
Country: United States
Posts: 8,809
vCash: 500
So the rangers could have gaborik, richards, nash, and doan?

I swear they get big names every year, and I have no clue how they fit them.

OnMyOwn is offline  
Old
08-06-2012, 05:45 PM
  #5
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,283
vCash: 80
Unlike my disappointment over not landing Parise, I honestly won't be upset if we don't land Doan. Not at the price tag he's supposedly going to cost. Especially not at the term rumored to be attached to that price tag.

Maybe if it were a 1 or 2 year deal I'd be fine with overpaying Doan $7 million a year. But when we're talking 3 or 4 years, and Doan's going to be 40 when the deal expires? We saw how a guy like Guerin became a snail in his final season. I don't want a repeat of that, but at a much higher salary than Guerin made.

Sidney the Kidney is offline  
Old
08-06-2012, 05:56 PM
  #6
AgentM
Registered User
 
AgentM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Allison Park, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
I thought Doan visited on the 28th, or was at least scheduled to?
He was scheduled to, but to my knowledge it hasn't happened yet.

AgentM is offline  
Old
08-06-2012, 06:00 PM
  #7
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.
 
ObsessedCreative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,231
vCash: 500
From the "Symptom Free Sid" Thread I posted in...


Just got back from Watching Sid practice.

Was flying out there smiling and having a lot of fun. He was mostly playing, scrimmaging, and doing drills with Beau Bennett.

Bennett's hands are def. there, but his skating and most importantly his foot speed needs A LOT of work.

It was crazy how many pens, former penguins and prospects were out there today.

Sid, Dick Park, Mike Comrie, BB, Dustin Jeffery, and two or so other players I couldn't really identify.

Other NHLers practicing today were Perros, Ryan, Miller, Stoll, I think David Krejci

Was a lot of fun and nice to see Sid flying and completely owning people in practice.


Last edited by ObsessedCreative: 08-06-2012 at 07:35 PM.
ObsessedCreative is offline  
Old
08-06-2012, 06:02 PM
  #8
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!
 
Jules Winnfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedCreative View Post
From the "Symptom Free Sid" Thread I posted in...


Just got back from Watching Sid practice.

Was flying out there smiling and having a lot of fun. He was mostly playing, scrimmaging, and doing drills with Beau Bennett.

Bennett's hands are def. there, but his skating and most importantly his foot speed needs A LOT of work.

It was crazy how many pens, former penguins and prospects were out there today.

Sid, Dick Park, Mike Comrie, BB, Dustin Jeffery, and two or so other players I couldn't really identify.

Other NHLers practicing today were Perros, Ryan, Miller, Stoll, I think David Krejci

Was a lot of fun and nice to see Sid flying and completely owing people in practice.
Thanks for sharing.

Jules Winnfield is offline  
Old
08-06-2012, 06:10 PM
  #9
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,625
vCash: 500
I thought Mike Comrie retired

JTG is online now  
Old
08-06-2012, 06:14 PM
  #10
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.
 
ObsessedCreative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I thought Mike Comrie retired
He did... hence why I was shocked when he walked by me coming out of the locker room all decked out in pens equipment! haha

I guess he was just skating with old friends and keeping busy, but MANNNN did he ever look slow. Feet and hands wise.

I assume he is just working out and messing around still recovering from hip surgery.

ObsessedCreative is offline  
Old
08-06-2012, 06:16 PM
  #11
Stad
@Malkin2Horny
 
Stad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedCreative View Post
He did... hence why I was shocked when he walked by me coming out of the locker room all decked out in pens equipment! haha

I guess he was just skating with old friends and keeping busy, but MANNNN did he ever look slow. Feet and hands wise.

I assume he is just working out and messing around still recovering from hip surgery.
Why the hell would he be wearing Pens gear? lol

Stad is offline  
Old
08-06-2012, 06:16 PM
  #12
TopShelfGoal
Registered User
 
TopShelfGoal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sayre, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,535
vCash: 500
#comriewatch

TopShelfGoal is offline  
Old
08-06-2012, 06:21 PM
  #13
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.
 
ObsessedCreative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
Thanks for sharing.
No problem!

ObsessedCreative is offline  
Old
08-06-2012, 06:22 PM
  #14
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stadw0n306 View Post
Why the hell would he be wearing Pens gear? lol
we were his last team. he probably jacked some stuff on his way out

Ogrezilla is online now  
Old
08-06-2012, 06:23 PM
  #15
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.
 
ObsessedCreative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stadw0n306 View Post
Why the hell would he be wearing Pens gear? lol
Well it was the last team he played for before retiring so thats probably all the gear he had... that and he wanted to be like Sid.


Also there was a 17 yr old kid in net today that was REALLY playing amazing... I was shocked to learn he was that young and holding his own.

OBVIOUSLY, MAFs replacement in two years!

ObsessedCreative is offline  
Old
08-06-2012, 06:26 PM
  #16
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau
 
Muscles4Malkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Turku
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,104
vCash: 500
Does Gary Roberts train Bennett? If he doesn't I think he should, or he should ask Sid how to improve his speed. Does he still look like he skates with rollerblades? Foot speed compare close to: Andrew Brunette/Jonathan Cheechoo/Jason Allison?

Muscles4Malkin is offline  
Old
08-06-2012, 06:31 PM
  #17
Zbynek
Registered User
 
Zbynek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Country: Portugal
Posts: 849
vCash: 500
Cool story, thanks for sharing.

Where did this practice go down?

Zbynek is offline  
Old
08-06-2012, 06:35 PM
  #18
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.
 
ObsessedCreative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles4Malkin View Post
Does Gary Roberts train Bennett? If he doesn't I think he should, or he should ask Sid how to improve his speed. Does he still look like he skates with rollerblades? Foot speed compare close to: Andrew Brunette/Jonathan Cheechoo/Jason Allison?
I don't believe BB trains with Roberts.

About the Roller Blading question, yes kind of. His foot speeds was noticeably slower than most of the guys there and he wasn't a very strong skater over-all, but his hands were def. there and a heck of a shot Sid found him a few times and he was able to burry it on miller.

About the assessment to the other players... I really couldn't tell you never got to see/study those guys at all or a lot in person.

ObsessedCreative is offline  
Old
08-06-2012, 06:38 PM
  #19
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.
 
ObsessedCreative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbynek View Post
Cool story, thanks for sharing.

Where did this practice go down?
Toyota Sports Center, right outside of LAX.

Thats the kings practice facility. 3 rinks, 2 full size, 1 Practice Rink which they were on.

Sid has been training here for about at least two weeks that I know of.

People were busting my balls as pick up last thursday saying... "oh your boy Crosby was here this morning playing" etc etc.

I have to ask my connections if he is planning on celebrating his birthday anywhere around here! ha

ObsessedCreative is offline  
Old
08-06-2012, 06:39 PM
  #20
cassius
Registered User
 
cassius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,897
vCash: 500
As sad as it is, there was a point in time when I was actually excited that we added Mike Comrie.

Definitely a microcosm of just how bad our winger situation has been over the years.

cassius is offline  
Old
08-06-2012, 06:40 PM
  #21
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles4Malkin View Post
Does Gary Roberts train Bennett? If he doesn't I think he should, or he should ask Sid how to improve his speed. Does he still look like he skates with rollerblades? Foot speed compare close to: Andrew Brunette/Jonathan Cheechoo/Jason Allison?
BB allegedly trains with one of the most intense trainers there is. I believe jmelm was the one who had a good write up about the guy he trains with.

JTG is online now  
Old
08-06-2012, 06:42 PM
  #22
Zbynek
Registered User
 
Zbynek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Country: Portugal
Posts: 849
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
As sad as it is, there was a point in time when I was actually excited that we added Mike Comrie.

Definitely a microcosm of just how bad our winger situation has been over the years.
When that happened, Shero was all "my bad guys" and traded for Neal and Niskanen

Didn't Comrie end up scoring one goal and it was en empty net?

Zbynek is offline  
Old
08-06-2012, 06:44 PM
  #23
AgentM
Registered User
 
AgentM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Allison Park, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbynek View Post
When that happened, Shero was all "my bad guys" and traded for Neal and Niskanen

Didn't Comrie end up scoring one goal and it was en empty net?
But he had the first ever goal at Consol in a preseason game!!!

If he hadn't hurt his hip in the first or second game of that season he might have contributed, hard to say.

AgentM is offline  
Old
08-06-2012, 06:45 PM
  #24
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.
 
ObsessedCreative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbynek View Post
When that happened, Shero was all "my bad guys" and traded for Neal and Niskanen

Didn't Comrie end up scoring one goal and it was en empty net?
Yupp, and he looked BAD... like he would have been laughed off most of the beer league teams I've played on.

I can totally see why he did retire.

ObsessedCreative is offline  
Old
08-06-2012, 06:48 PM
  #25
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau
 
Muscles4Malkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Turku
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,104
vCash: 500
I'm not that familiar too with high scoring players from near past, but those came to my mind. Allison was slow in old NHL and once scored 95 pts if I remember correctly and Cheechoo had that akward skating style. Who else looks bad?, oh RECCHI and somewhat Petr Gunn.

Muscles4Malkin is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.