HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Biggest Worry/Fear/Question Mark heading into new season?

Old
08-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Giacomin

vCash: 500
Lundqvist. the Rangers can only go as far as the King takes them!

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Krams
Scalloped Potatoes

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Honestly, my biggest fear is if Lundqvist goes down. If he's injured, we become a bad hockey team. You can put an AHL lineup out there with Lundqvist and we'd still have a chance to win.
Nonsense. Do we become significantly less "elite"? Sure. But we become a "bad hockey team" with the best defense in the league and an offense consisting of Nash, Richards, Gaborik, Kreider, Stepan, Callahan, etc.?

Krams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

I have a couple...

Can our defense be the same as it was last season?

Can we score consistently?

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissFreakinWatch View Post
Nonsense. Do we become significantly less "elite"? Sure. But we become a "bad hockey team" with the best defense in the league and an offense consisting of Nash, Richards, Gaborik, Kreider, Stepan, Callahan, etc.?
As good as the rest of the team is, I have zero confidence in Biron as a starter. If you played an entire season with Biron as the #1, I'm not sure the Rangers are a .500 team. Losing Richards would hurt more than any other forward because the Rangers don't have adequate center depth. On D, losing Girardi would probably hurt more than losing any other blueliner because we don't have another righty Dman to replace him.

Other than injuries, I think Nash's integration into the team is a big concern. That's a lot of money for a lot of years. He needs to produce.

I've almost given up on being concerned with the PP but it would be nice to get that working one year.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 02:15 PM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissFreakinWatch View Post
Center depth. If either one of Stepan or Richards goes down, Brian Boyle is going to be our second line center. Brian Boyle.
That's my concern as well, however I think Miller has a good chance to make the team and would become the 2nd line center if one of those guys goes down.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 02:38 PM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
Center depth is still my concern. I never liked Boyle being 3rd line center last season and am still not looking forward to him playing the third line again next season. Hopefully we'll see Sather sign one of Langkow or Hecht as a stopgap.

The third pair also has me concerned. However, if Sauer can play sometime in the middle of the season, I will no longer be worried.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 03:16 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Honestly, my biggest fear is if Lundqvist goes down. If he's injured, we become a bad hockey team. You can put an AHL lineup out there with Lundqvist and we'd still have a chance to win.
lol, no way. Hank is separating this team from being a "bad" hockey team? really? We're no longer contenders, but that's usually what happens when you lose your star player.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 04:22 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

- Getting and staying healthy... especially at the end of season/play-offs.

- Depth, chemistry and penalty killing.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 04:37 PM
Petemo

Depth, Depth, Depth.

People seem to forget we don't only get to run out a top six. Everyone is all over Nash's genitalia, forgetting that we need to run out a full team.

Petemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 05:05 PM
WPGNYRFan

vCash: 1700
My biggest worry going into this next season is that the lineups to get my foot-long perogy dog will be way too long!

Oh man are these good, and really disgustingly bad for you too!

WPGNYRFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Fear Number 1 : Cafe 31 will have new bartenders, not nearly as hot as the old crew. Every year they have been on the decline!

Fear Number 2 : Getting lost in the new Garden Again. Last year was a debacle especially at the start of the season

Fear Number 3 : LOCKOUT!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 05:30 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
That's my concern as well, however I think Miller has a good chance to make the team and would become the 2nd line center if one of those guys goes down.
haha is there an echo in here?

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 05:35 PM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post
haha is there an echo in here?
Great minds

I really don't think it's unreasonable to expect Miller to be up in NY by mid-season at the latest. I've been saying since the day he got drafted he will be Dubinsky's replacement.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 06:20 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

Hags and Kreider in their full season doesn't really concern me... it's interesting but not concerning. At this point, nothing concerns me until the CBA is done I know I'm suppose to leave CBA crap out but I worry about that a lot.

Aside from that, Chemistry/identity and injuries come playoff time.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 06:53 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Identity should not be an issue. Cally, Staal, Hank, Richards, and Girardi are still here. This team will not lack identity. Torts won't allow that to happen.

My concern is center depth and the 6th defender. How can we not worry about Stu Bickel? I understand he might not be that big of a concern with the other 5 we have right now are good. My concern is the return of Mike Sauer. Is the organization relying on him coming back and going with Bickel or whoever breaks camp as the #7 playing until he is healthy?

To harp on the center, I believe that if Miller is not ready for the NHL, they will go after someone that can play center at the deadline. Having the depth where it is right now isn't terrible, as long as they can get through it. At least our centers can play the defensive end of the ice. If they were offensive guys and weren't good at it, I'd be even more worried, but Step, Rich, Boyle, and Halpern can play that side of the puck.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 07:18 PM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

My concern this year is the same as it is every year.

The Flowerplay.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 06:06 AM
Legend23

1. Lundqvist
2. Power Play (learn how to shoot one timers...you cant tee it up at the point and give the D time to setup).
3. That my new seats are as good as I think they will be and the people around us are cool fans.

Legend23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 06:54 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Besides consistent scoring, our top 4 D being over-worked. More specifically McD and Girardi.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 07:05 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Penalty killing forwards is one thing that comes to mind for me. Prust, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Fedetenko all regulars at that--all gone.

Obviously Nash is going to be one guy--Hagelin probably another. Halpern?--Pyatt and Asham did not kill any penalties last year with their respective teams. Kreider maybe another. Stepan and Richards might see more time.
Pyatt was a penalty killer earlier un his career.

He's capable of it. Knowing how Tortorella works, he will have him killing penalties.

Pyatt
Boyle
Stepan
Halpern
Callahan
Hagelin
Richards

Will probably be the forwards getting the brunt of the PK minutes.

I would prefer if not as many of our top six forwards were killing penalties. Thats going to wear them down eventually.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 07:09 AM
Leetch66

Our Blueline is very overrated . It is the goaltending of Hank that wins us games and keeps us close most nights . Our blueline is way soft and I don't need hit stats to tell me I'm wrong . Flame away .

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:52 AM
SouthJerseyRanger

I'm worried about the big time turnover among our forwards. Prust, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Mitchell, Fedotenko... not the most talented bunch, but certainly hard-working and fit in very well with our defensive style. Now, we've essentially done this.

Asham for Prust
Halpern for Mitchell
Pyatt/Nash for Dubinsky/Anisimov
lost depth player in Fedotenko

I'm afraid of this messing with the style of play and overall team chemistry. Last year, they responded very well to adversity. Is this team going to be able to do what last year's team did and avoid long losing streaks? Anytime Rick Nash's Blue Jackets played poorly, the attitude was that it was to be expected. What happens when Nash and the team both hit a cold streak on a team that is supposed to be contending for a Stanley Cup? How will he react?

This team wins the big one on paper... unfortunately we still have to play the games

SouthJerseyRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Riverdale

- Center depth. If Richards gets injured we are in big big trouble.

- The PP

- Shotblocking. Eventually someone is going to get hurt (Like Zucc did) and if it is someone important its going to be tough.

My main concern is just avoiding injuries and staying healthy.

Riverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 03:58 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Rangers need a much better transition game. They need to be able to control the puck through the neutral zone and into the offensive zone much better than they have been doing.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 04:24 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Im not worried about the team. Im confident in the players, coaching staff, and management.

I am worried about there not being hockey in October...or November...or December...or January...

Please no lockout.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 04:38 PM
GamerZX101

1) Stu Bickel shouldn't be in the lineup
2) Bottom-six is bad, especially without Hagelin or Miller there
3) Overall depth. I still think we need another middle-six type forward... Doan.

GamerZX101 is offline   Reply With Quote