HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alain Vigneault

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2006, 05:05 PM
cyrisweb

vCash: 500
Alain Vigneault

His last coaching position was in Montreal where he was fired.

Thoughts on this guy? why was he fired did he do a good job the years before? Will/could he be a good assistant or full time NHL coach again?

With the Canucks firing Crawford and Vigneault being the head coach of their farm team the Moose and having some solid success this year. Some have suggested he should be Crawfords replacement.

Thoughts?

Old
04-25-2006, 05:13 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrisweb
His last coaching position was in Montreal where he was fired.

Thoughts on this guy? why was he fired did he do a good job the years before? Will/could he be a good assistant or full time NHL coach again?

With the Canucks firing Crawford and Vigneault being the head coach of their farm team the Moose and having some solid success this year. Some have suggested he should be Crawfords replacement.

Thoughts?
He's been coaching in the Q for the past few seasons...He's fine where he is

Old
04-25-2006, 05:13 PM
VanNistelrooy

Don't think he is NHL ready. He has done nothing in PEI, the time he was there.

Old
04-25-2006, 05:20 PM
cyrisweb

He's not in the Q, he's in the been in the AHL all year with the Manitoba Moose who are in the first round of the playoffs.

Old
04-25-2006, 05:21 PM
Mike8

He's done well in Manitoba. I think he's likely an option in Vancouver.

Old
04-25-2006, 05:31 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
He's done well in Manitoba. I think he's likely an option in Vancouver.
Wasn't it reported that PIT was interested but Vancouver didn't want to let him go? I tought that was a pretty good indication back then and the news today confirms it.

His AHL team is likely superior to what he had to deal with in Montreal. I always imagined Vigneault as a very sad man just for the fact he had to look at that roster sheet for Montreal everyday. Curse Houle to hell.

Old
04-25-2006, 05:34 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
If they remplace Crawford with this guy they better hope their goalie is gonna be fire ala Theo .

Old
04-25-2006, 06:09 PM
mcphee

I heard his name as a possible asst. to Therrien in Pittsburgh. If you want to ne next in line, Pitt's not a bad idea. I think he's good coach, I was never crazy about the way he'd put lines together, or player usage, but from all I hear, he's a sound professional coach.

Old
04-25-2006, 06:11 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe
Wasn't it reported that PIT was interested but Vancouver didn't want to let him go? I tought that was a pretty good indication back then and the news today confirms it.

His AHL team is likely superior to what he had to deal with in Montreal. I always imagined Vigneault as a very sad man just for the fact he had to look at that roster sheet for Montreal everyday. Curse Houle to hell.
Looks like you got one more fact than me, if so, glad for the guy.

Old
04-25-2006, 06:20 PM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
I thought Vigneault was great

The Habs didn't give him much to work with

Old
04-25-2006, 06:32 PM
Form and Substance

A coach in the same vein as Maurice and Perron. He's the epitome of mediocrity.

Old
04-25-2006, 07:00 PM
David

Vigeault for Vancouver? I thought that Crawford being fired makes room for Pat Quinn...but then again why would Nonis hire Pat Quinn as coach since if he did, Pat'll take over his GM job within a year's time?

As for Vigeault, I think that he must be a master motivator the way he took that sad sack of AHL rejects that made up the 2001 version of CH to within half a game of the playoffs!

Old
04-25-2006, 07:32 PM
tinyzombies

Vigneault did a fine job in Montreal. He was hit with a ton of injuries and the roster was full of terrible players to begin with and he made a decent showing. He's a calm, professional coach. I don't think I saw him yell once. He didn't have much to work with, so as far as strategy and line mixing and matching, it's hard to tell.

Old
04-25-2006, 07:34 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
I love VIngeault I will never forget the year the Habs missed the playoffs by one point with about 900 man games lost to injury!

Old
04-25-2006, 07:39 PM
BLNY

Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
Alain is a strong coach, and well respected in hockey circles. His greatest asset is his work with young players. His work with the Rocket is a reason Montreal drafted several players from the roster. He will get another shot.

Pittsburgh could be a great fit. He'd be a calming influence in a room with a combustable head coach and a lot of young players.

Old
04-25-2006, 07:44 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Vigneault did a good job everywhere he went. He's more of a technical coach but the assistant coachs can do the motivation. I think he would be a solid choice for the Canucks, You need a guy like that after Crawford.

Old
04-25-2006, 09:02 PM
SuperUnknown

I'm not a big Vigneault fan. He's mediocre at talent evaluation and he doesn't match lines. He can't get his top players to perform.

Old
04-25-2006, 09:10 PM
deandebean

I hope Vigneault gets the job, because he was shafted in Montreal, with a puny lineup, the worse in about 60 years.

I just hope Vigneault learned from MOntreal, where he got under some veterans' skin (go ask Damphousse). He was not very talkative with his vets. He wanted more youth in the club, but the well was pretty dry when he was there.

Personally, I'd hire Claude Julien. But you know my feelings towards my man.

Old
04-25-2006, 09:36 PM
habsfansam

I always liked Vigneault... I still recall that the day he was fired he was so surprised - he had been with his players the night before going through tape trying to coax more offense out of a horrid lineup... anyone recall such NHL "superstars" as Miloslav Guren, Eric Houde, Freddie Chabot, Craig Darby? Poor Vigneault, he never really had a chance here.

I hope he goes to Vancouver and does a great job... I wonder if his style will suit them better, since I always got the impression that Mark Crawford would fly off the handle pretty easily and lose it on his players.

Old
04-25-2006, 09:43 PM
Habsaku

Alain Vigneault or Claude Julien are both very good choices. Vigneault was given an awefull lineup ridiculously filled with injuries that still managed to get one win out of the playoffs. He's good with younger players like what was said earlier. I dont recall Recchi or Damphousse being too happy with him

Old
04-25-2006, 10:35 PM
Marco Corleone

Alain is a great coach and should be in the NHL level.

Old
04-26-2006, 12:44 AM
Astaroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfansam
I always liked Vigneault... I still recall that the day he was fired he was so surprised - he had been with his players the night before going through tape trying to coax more offense out of a horrid lineup... anyone recall such NHL "superstars" as Miloslav Guren, Eric Houde, Freddie Chabot, Craig Darby? Poor Vigneault, he never really had a chance here.

I hope he goes to Vancouver and does a great job... I wonder if his style will suit them better, since I always got the impression that Mark Crawford would fly off the handle pretty easily and lose it on his players.
Agree completly; he did pretty damn well with the crap we had and was nominated for the Jack Adams if I remember correctly. The moose are doing pretty well under him and he definetly deserves an actual shot.

Old
04-26-2006, 01:48 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail
I'm not a big Vigneault fan. He's mediocre at talent evaluation and he doesn't match lines. He can't get his top players to perform.
I disagree. In Montreal his top players were guys like Zholtok. Zholtok did pretty decent under Vigneault, as did guys like Petrov and Darby. We are talking *** and crap that he got to perform at an nhl level. He never had a healthy Koivu to score 70-80 points, or a Richard Zednik to add goals to the lineup, and he most definatly did not have Alex Kovalev or any sort of defence to play. His big mistake was his loyalty to Jeff Hackett. Theodore single handedly brought the team into playoff contention only to get benched down the stretch in favor of Hackett who was average all year, and then just fell apart in the last week letting in backbreaking goal after backbreaking goal. I think Vigneault would do well on a team with talent, but something tells me he works better with disciplined, hardworking character type players, something the canucks definatly lack.

Closed Thread