HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hockey cards

Closed Thread

Old
08-06-2012, 11:54 AM
someguy44

vCash: 50
I went to a flea market a few years ago and bought non-rookie cards of Stan Mikita, Bobby Hull, Darryl Sittler, the Soviet Red Army team (the Makarov/Krutov/Larianov team from the 80's) and a few other old timers. It cost me under $30 for all those cards, which is worth it as they weren't mass produced.

I couldn't get any Bobby Orr or Gordie Howe cards as they either weren't there or too expensive. Same goes for Gretzky and Lemieux cards. I bought a Jgar rookie card on the side as it was $3. I remember I bought one back in the early 90's for probably around $5-$10 and with inflation, that amount would be even higher now.

Bottom line is, don't bother buying most cards from the late 80s to present as they're never going to go up by value much.

Old
08-06-2012, 06:30 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher

08-06-2012, 06:57 PM
zeus3007*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
I have like, 4000 hockey cards in my closet, mostly from '06-'07 and earlier. Can only imagine what that (coupled with my 3000 Pokemon cards) will be worth in several years.

Looks like a solid haul, though. I'd be happy.
Probably not much. Things that are designed to be collectable are rarely worth anything long term. The only hockey cards that are worth a lot are pre 1980 and they weren't bought for value. Same thing with comic books, etc.

Old
08-06-2012, 07:02 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
There is so much fail in this post, so much denial and ignorance, I don't even know where to start. 1988...what a riot, back then cards were at their most primitive and they were the worst cards ever made and printed in the millions.

I can say this...the current era of collecting started in the late 90s and matured in 2002. Since then the hobby has overall pretty much stayed the same with card values holding very well for more than 10 years. I've been a hard core collector of hockey for 20 years and a sports card collector for over 30 years...my collection is one of the best if not the best in Los Angeles.
You're either joking or you're delusional. I collect and have for a long time now, and new cards are worthless. Even what were once high priced jersey, patch and autograph cards only have value for a short period of time, everything goes down. Nothing goes up permanently. Just because the book says it does doesn't mean that it actually does. Mark my words, the cards that are worth hundreds or thousands of dollars right now will be worth nickels and dimes in 15 years, just like the the Lindros, Fedorov, Bure, Sakic, etc were.

Old
08-06-2012, 07:48 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckclektr View Post
I agree 100%. The industry is disgusting. Lets take Upper Deck for example. YOu spend $4-6 a pack. The most popular card that most people want are the young gun rookie cards. Well you get one in every four packs. It could take you 4 packs or more to get a rookie. But it doesn't stop there. The amount of rookies in the pack that will never play a game in the NHL or get in a few and become a career AHLer is incredible. You want that Yakapov or Nugent-Hopkins card now. Pay an arm and a leg to get it. Value doesn't really go up on those cards at all. The other players that at one time were expensive like a Andreas Salomonson which was probably $20 at one point are now probably booked at $10, but if you go to sell it you might get a shiny new nickel. The only value those cards have are to the people that collect all the rookies, and trust me, there are not many of them.
I have been to many card shops arounf Canada and the states. YOu want a deal on hockey cards. Save your money and go to the spring or fall expo in Toronto and you will get loads of good deals. I collect many things and find it all there for good prices. sportcardexpo.com
Who is Andreas Salmonson, or did you just make that up? Also there are plenty of RNH rookies you can get for under 20 bucks.

And no, the majority of money is put out by player collectors, not rookie collectors. But rookie collectors usually are the ones that overpay the most because they tend to be casual collectors who suddenly got a bug up their a$$ to get some guy from their home town or favorite team.

Old
08-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
You're either joking or you're delusional. I collect and have for a long time now, and new cards are worthless. Even what were once high priced jersey, patch and autograph cards only have value for a short period of time, everything goes down. Nothing goes up permanently. Just because the book says it does doesn't mean that it actually does. Mark my words, the cards that are worth hundreds or thousands of dollars right now will be worth nickels and dimes in 15 years, just like the the Lindros, Fedorov, Bure, Sakic, etc were.
No, I just know far more than you do and have no bias for or against, unlike yourself. The numbers of cards trading hands on a daily basis and the sheer numbers of dollars for just new hockey alone is insane.

For example, I collect Drew Doughty and the Kings. If I had the money I could buy quantity of any Marcel Dionne card that I wanted including his rookie. I could spend a week (plus a couple weeks for shipping) and gather 50 copies of his best card, his RC because it was printed in the millions. I could do the same with Yzerman's best RC too except I could easily get 100 copies of that.

There are cards of Drew Doughty that any collector would want but I'd struggle to get even 5 copies in a year even if I offered triple guide price. Even waving the money in someone's face they wouldn't sell to me. That doesn't sound like "worthless" to me. I'm on eBay every other day looking for certain players.

Old
08-07-2012, 02:17 AM
croAVSfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy44 View Post
I went to a flea market a few years ago and bought non-rookie cards of Stan Mikita, Bobby Hull, Darryl Sittler, the Soviet Red Army team (the Makarov/Krutov/Larianov team from the 80's) and a few other old timers. It cost me under $30 for all those cards, which is worth it as they weren't mass produced.

I couldn't get any Bobby Orr or Gordie Howe cards as they either weren't there or too expensive. Same goes for Gretzky and Lemieux cards. I bought a Jgar rookie card on the side as it was $3. I remember I bought one back in the early 90's for probably around $5-$10 and with inflation, that amount would be even higher now.

Bottom line is, don't bother buying most cards from the late 80s to present as they're never going to go up by value much.

Lucky you...

Can you, if not a problem, upload a pics of it, I would like so much to see those cards...

Old
08-07-2012, 10:23 AM
eyeball11

Word to the wise: Beckett values and real life values are usually worlds apart. Frankly, I hate UD in that as far as I'm concerned, they ruined card collecting. Just the other day in my closet I came across some old early 80's wrappers with the pink gum still inside. Just the smell brought you back.

Old
08-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
I stopped collecting just before 2000. It got to be too much. At one point in time, I literally had 50-100 or each rookie card from 1990-91 OPC Premier. Likewise for 90-91 and 91-92 Upper Deck. I literally opened CASES of 90-91 Score American and Canadian. I used to send cards off to PSA by the hundreds. What ruined it was the advent of inserts, numbered rookies...3-5 card packs...and so many other things.

When I was buying 90-91 Upper Deck, I remember paying $1 a pack, while 90-91 OPC Premier was $3 a pack. Pro Set and Score were like, $.50 a pack.

As time went on the manufacturers got too greedy and went too extravagant. They really go away from what made it fun to begin with. When you go through a box, two boxes, even a case of cards and can't pull every card from the base set...it's over.

I sold every single card I had that was worth anything, and donated the rest to a children's hospital network.

The best cards I ever owned were Steve Yzerman, Patrick Roy, and Brett Hull's OPC rookie cards. The cards I had the most of were Pavel Bure's 90-91 UD rookie, and Teemu Selanne's 91-92 rookie. At one point I had well over 200 of each.

Old
08-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
Word to the wise: Beckett values and real life values are usually worlds apart. Frankly, I hate UD in that as far as I'm concerned, they ruined card collecting. Just the other day in my closet I came across some old early 80's wrappers with the pink gum still inside. Just the smell brought you back.
I agree with you, sir. Wholeheartedly. They really drilled the hobby into the ground.

Old
08-07-2012, 11:41 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I like to go down to the local collector's shop, spend $5 for 5 or 6 packs of early-90s cards, open 'em up with my 13-year-old son and tell him about the players. Imagine a kid asking you who Ron Hextall is, or Steve Yzerman, or Arturs Irbe. Then when we're done, I just give them all to him and his friends to trade, and save a few for the toddlers to play with.

That's how you get a good return on early 90s hockey cards! To me, over-production didn't ruin them at all... they made it possible to get back to the spirit of cards being worthless conversation pieces.

Old
08-07-2012, 11:52 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
When I was buying 90-91 Upper Deck, I remember paying $1 a pack, while 90-91 OPC Premier was $3 a pack. Pro Set and Score were like, $.50 a pack.

As time went on the manufacturers got too greedy and went too extravagant. They really go away from what made it fun to begin with. When you go through a box, two boxes, even a case of cards and can't pull every card from the base set...it's over.
This. My uncle owned a card shop in the early 90's and even he'll tell you oversaturation of the market killed the hobby. That and the ridiculous price of cards nowadays. I mean isn't card collecting supposed to be a kids hobby? How many kids nowdays have like $300 for a Crosby rookie or $150 for an Ovechkin rookie? Not many....

Just for ***** and giggles I tried to complete the 2008-09 Upper Deck Victory set a few years back. After adding up everything I spent on numerous boxes of cards, Ebay singles, shipping for said single Ebay cards, etc. I spent like two or three times what the set was supposedly worth...and I still wasn't finished. So I said screw it.

I'd much rather spend $100-400 and have nice framed and autographed prints of my favourite players or signed pucks or whatnot. Even the unsigned framed photos are nice. Cards are useless really. You open the packs, put them in binders, then they sit in a closet on a shelf or in an attic for 20 years.

Old
08-07-2012, 12:04 PM
NewtJorden
SharksPackersAstros

Send a message via MSN to NewtJorden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bougieman View Post
My fave hockey card, mostly because of how bizarre it is. (Plus: Bure is a BOSS)

Oddly enough, it's from the same set as the Selanne card above.
The early Upper Deck cards were the best

Old
08-07-2012, 12:24 PM
esidebill

I have a couple of full sets, probably in the thousands, of 90s Upper Deck and a few others. To be honest, I was told hockey cards are generally just not popular. Really hard to sell.

Old
08-07-2012, 12:46 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by esidebill View Post
I have a couple of full sets, probably in the thousands, of 90s Upper Deck and a few others. To be honest, I was told hockey cards are generally just not popular. Really hard to sell.
90s stuff is hard to sell. Modern stuff is extremely easy to sell. Just don't pay any attention to what the guide says. Most things sell for less than guide but quite a few things sell for more than guide.

(The guide, Beckett Hockey, lists mainly prices for retail stores. )

Last edited by Rorschach: 08-07-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old
08-07-2012, 01:05 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

I stopped collecting a year ago, too many sets/cards that come out. I have a pretty large collection, I collected Vanek and Myers as my two main collections along with collecting Autos and Game used cards of hall of fame players.

My most expensive card is probably my Vanek 05-06 The Cup Auto rookie patch (3 colors) /199 (only 199 made) last time I checked booked at $350 in Beckett and online are selling for around $250... remember book values in Beckett are all wrong, real value is about half to 2/3rds of the book value if you would sell it on eBay.

Old
08-07-2012, 01:06 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Actually if you actually do your research, it was a certain segment of the collectors who brought the hobby down by buying in to literally any gimmick any random company did...the plethora of other companies trying to keep pace with Upper Deck.

You take any of the best innovations and you'll find that UD did nearly all of the best ones. Take all of the ones that did serious damage to the hobby, like Pro Set's Stanley Cup hologram card, and you'll find another company, including your beloved Topps (who made nearly all of the OPC gum cards) responsible. The fact that all of those other companies are now long gone but UD is still here in hockey is a strong statement to how popular their brands are.

Old
08-07-2012, 02:18 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
Actually if you actually do your research, it was a certain segment of the collectors who brought the hobby down by buying in to literally any gimmick any random company did...the plethora of other companies trying to keep pace with Upper Deck.

You take any of the best innovations and you'll find that UD did nearly all of the best ones. Take all of the ones that did serious damage to the hobby, like Pro Set's Stanley Cup hologram card, and you'll find another company, including your beloved Topps (who made nearly all of the OPC gum cards) responsible. The fact that all of those other companies are now long gone but UD is still here in hockey is a strong statement to how popular their brands are.
When you've been both an avid collector as well as an actual dealer for over 40 years, you don't have to research much. I have complete sets going back to the 60's, probably some of the nicest complete sets you'll find. Very recently I had 6 Gretzky rookies in my possession and several early Gretzky error cards. I've had 1952 Mantle along with other nice notables. While I find some of UD's ideas interesting, they are complete market hogs who rendered the industry into a farce. Way too much product and the complete elimination of the little guy - more importantly the complete elimination of kids. One of the only attractive sets you could still collect with kids for a reasonable price was McDonald's cards, until of course UD took over from Pacific. What did they do? Their usual schtick of artificial rarity making it so it is near impossible for a kid to get a complete set. Brilliant! I wonder when they'll realize that not getting kids into it is shooting themselves in the foot? You just have to love how every memorabilia card you get from UD has the same stupid message about how it was used in a game. Part of the fun in cards was a lot of them had mini stories about the player or odd facts. You didn't just glance at the picture, stick it in a screw down and file it away. Sad.

Last edited by eyeball11: 08-07-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old
08-07-2012, 02:45 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtJorden View Post
The early Upper Deck cards were the best
This.

The OPC Premier '91 and '92 sets were gorgeous too. Particularly the '92 set. Very colourful and fun.

Old
08-07-2012, 02:54 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
When you've been both an avid collector as well as an actual dealer for over 40 years, you don't have to research much. I have complete sets going back to the 60's, probably some of the nicest complete sets you'll find. Very recently I had 6 Gretzky rookies in my possession and several early Gretzky error cards. I've had 1952 Mantle along with other nice notables. While I find some of UD's ideas interesting, they are complete market hogs who rendered the industry into a farce. Way too much product and the complete elimination of the little guy - more importantly the complete elimination of kids. One of the only attractive sets you could still collect with kids for a reasonable price was McDonald's cards, until of course UD took over from Pacific. What did they do? Their usual schtick of artificial rarity making it so it is near impossible for a kid to get a complete set. Brilliant! I wonder when they'll realize that not getting kids into it is shooting themselves in the foot? You just have to love how every memorabilia card you get from UD has the same stupid message about how it was used in a game. Part of the fun in cards was a lot of them had mini stories about the player or odd facts. You didn't just glance at the picture, stick it in a screw down and file it away. Sad.
Actually it sounds a lot like you became very biased simply because te hobby changed on you. Your facts are a bit warped.

For example it was UD who originally came up with the first deal to make cards for McDonalds in the first place.

And Upper Deck sells more cards to kids with products kids not only can afford but can get good cards put of than any other manufacturer in the history of hockey cards.

Sounds like you just wanted things to stay the same. Actually I miss the old days too. But just because the old days are gone, doesn't mean it's all UD's fault. They have treated this hobby better than any other manufacturer.

If you want to blame someone, blame the collectors for buyin in to gimmicks. No card company can make money if the collectors aren't fueling their market reports.

Old
08-07-2012, 03:00 PM
wreckless

low #'d cards of all stars from top tiered sets with unique patches will hold their value.

Old
08-07-2012, 03:19 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Does anyone have an approx value for a poster/artwork of Gretzky while he was in LA commemerating his 2000th point.

Gretzky is featured 3 times in the art, once is a large shot of his face near the top right and the other two are him in full gear(One white jersey and one black) skating around.

There are only 2000 of them made and I believe the artist is Thief. Not sure as I suck at reading sigs, but that is what the sig looks like.

Old
08-07-2012, 03:28 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Does anyone have an approx value for a poster/artwork of Gretzky while he was in LA commemerating his 2000th point.

Gretzky is featured 3 times in the art, once is a large shot of his face near the top right and the other two are him in full gear(One white jersey and one black) skating around.

There are only 2000 of them made and I believe the artist is Thief. Not sure as I suck at reading sigs, but that is what the sig looks like.
Post a pic?

Old
08-07-2012, 03:31 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckless View Post
low #'d cards of all stars from top tiered sets with unique patches will hold their value.

Patch, #/50, signed, from the cup and number 08 (or is it 06 ?) Make that card worth a lot on ebay.

If a card is numbered and that number is 1, or the player's number it adds more to the value.

I want to get Beckett to grade cards, but it would cost 100s of dollars....

Old
08-07-2012, 03:37 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Post a pic?
Sorry about the awful quality.

Closed Thread