HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

2012 Off Season Thread - Part dreiundzwanzig: Boring Summer edition

Closed Thread

Old
08-06-2012, 08:07 PM
Borgir

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
alright looking at a map its more like Cranberry. Cali must have stupid traffic
I visited Los Angeles last year, granted the volume of traffic can become quite high, yet it was certainly a pleasure driving in this city. I enjoyed the ability to make a U-turn at most intersections, people seemed to be "on the ball" and not once did I notice an iTard texting on their phone while driving. I have driven plenty in my lifetime and driving in L.A. was certainly one of the best commuting experiences that I have ever had....

Old
08-06-2012, 08:08 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borgir View Post
I visited Los Angeles last year, granted the volume of traffic can become quite high, yet it was certainly a pleasure driving in this city. I enjoyed the ability to make a U-turn at most intersections, people seemed to be "on the ball" and not once did I notice an iTard texting on their phone while driving. I have driven plenty in my lifetime and driving in L.A. was certainly one of the best commuting experiences that I have ever had....
Where you live must really suck in terms of commuting then.

Old
08-06-2012, 08:11 PM
Borgir

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Where you live must really suck in terms of commuting then.
Edmonton, the home of the worst drivers on the planet...

Old
08-06-2012, 08:13 PM
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.

Quote:
I know those ones are farther away. My brother went to stanford so I've been out there. But LA and Anaheim really are like right beside each other as far as cities go. Seriously, the baseball team uses both names
SO dumb that they do that!

Old
08-06-2012, 08:17 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedCreative View Post
SO dumb that they do that!
Ya I don't know how the psychology of a sports fan in a city with two teams would work. If they switched it to just Anaheim, I feel like kids growing up in LA would all be Dodgers fans. This way the Angels can double dip in LA while taking everyone in Anaheim. I know its just a name, but if I was a kid growing up there that's how I'd look at it.

It does sound stupid though. The "The Angels" Angels of Anaheim And it encourages people like me to believe they are basically the same city Are any other teams in Anaheim or just the Angels and Ducks?

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 08-06-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old
08-06-2012, 08:32 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
don't get me started on bay area sports team names:

the (Oakland based) Warriors are moving (back) to San Francisco but the name will not change (San Francisco Warriors 1962-1971 then Golden State Warriors 1971-Present).

the San Francisco 49ers will be moving to Santa Clara with no name change on the horizon.

then you have the quagmire of the Oakland A's wanting to move to San Jose but unable to because they gifted the rights to the region to the San Francisco Giants in 1990.

but nothing is worse than the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

Last edited by Crafton: 08-06-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old
08-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Are any other teams in Anaheim or just the Angels and Ducks?
Team Mickey Mouse.

the LA Rams used to play there. every few years i have to remind my dad that the LA Rams play in St. Louis these days. it seems that he only paid attention to football from 1984-1990 because the only teams he remembers are the Niners, LA Rams/Raiders and the Houston Oilers.

Old
08-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post

the (Oakland based) Warriors are moving (back) to San Francisco but I the name will not change (San Francisco Warriors 1962-1971 then Golden State Warriors 1971-Present).

the San Francisco 49ers will be moving to Santa Clara with no name change on the horizon.

then you have the quagmire of the Oakland A's wanting to move to San Jose but unable to because they gifted the rights to the region to the San Francisco Giants in 1990.

Golden State Warriors is pretty bad for a state that big

Old
08-06-2012, 08:40 PM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post

the (Oakland based) Warriors are moving (back) to San Francisco but I the name will not change (San Francisco Warriors 1962-1971 then Golden State Warriors 1971-Present).

And of course the California/Oakland (Golden) Seals.

Old
08-06-2012, 08:52 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOTO View Post
And of course the California/Oakland (Golden) Seals.
Yeah, that outfit took the cake. They were legendarily bad. They never had a winning record. Their overall record in their years in Oakland from 1967 -1976 was 182 - 401.

Old
08-06-2012, 09:05 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Old
08-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

so question for hockey history buffs: what team would be best suited to undertake a tribute to the Seals?

the Dallas Stars (California Golden Seals moved to Cleveland to become the Cleveland Barons in 1976 who then merged with the Minnesota North Stars who of course moved to Dallas).

or the San Jose Sharks (geographic proximity).

Old
08-06-2012, 09:11 PM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

I'll answer that question with a question: why would either franchise want to claim the Seals' "legacy"?

Either way, I'd go with Dallas vs. San Jose in San Jose playing a roller hockey Winter Classic wearing different variations of Seals uniforms.

Old
08-06-2012, 11:36 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

touché

Old
08-07-2012, 12:15 AM
crane

Quote:
haha nooo not really... people do that all the time with California, it's hard to judge without living here for a while because the states so huge.

Anaheim is about 30-35 miles away depending on where you are coming from. It can easily take an hour - hour and a half to get down there.
Quote:
It's really funny when people things San diego, San Fran, or San Jose are like with in a short car ride! haha

Also NEVER underestimate LA traffic having to drive 30 miles here is more like 130 miles!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
LA traffic was one of the most ridiculous experiences I have ever had. If I lived there, I'd try to move down the street from where ever I worked.
Cali traffic blows. took me 45 minutes to get from the LA county line to the 710 on I-5N the other day, not rush hour.

Cool pics btw. thanks for sharing.

Old
08-07-2012, 12:20 AM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Colorado could be a good trading partner:

Paul Martin + Tyler Kennedy for Jamie McGinn + Shane O'Brien

Thoughts?

Old
08-07-2012, 12:28 AM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

It saves up to $3,500,000 in cap space.

Old
08-07-2012, 12:58 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
Colorado could be a good trading partner:

Paul Martin + Tyler Kennedy for Jamie McGinn + Shane O'Brien

Thoughts?
They already have 7 NHL D under contract (not counting rookies), and why would we trade for a 3rd pairing guy when we have a ton of rookies who need icetime? Also if we're trading with Colorado I'd really really want to see Hejda coming back - even if we had to add more to get it.

But they might have a use for another PMD (I see 4 defensive types there). I'd love to trade them Niskanen (+ if needed) for Hejda. Carry 8 D, dress 7 per night until you figure out who you want to keep.

Letang - Orpik
Martin - Hejda (shutdown tandom)
Despres - Engelland
Strait - Bortuzzo

Old
08-07-2012, 01:51 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

At the beginning of Summer, Paul Martin's cap was the least attractive part of him being on our team, despite his upside and the possibility that he could bounce back. At this point, his cap hit is a moot point. Let him compete for a spot. Doesn't matter even if he's a solid 6th d-man making $5M. We're no where near the cap anyway.

Old
08-07-2012, 02:00 AM
Giskard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
At the beginning of Summer, Paul Martin's cap was the least attractive part of him being on our team, despite his upside and the possibility that he could bounce back. At this point, his cap hit is a moot point. Let him compete for a spot. Doesn't matter even if he's a solid 6th d-man making $5M. We're no where near the cap anyway.
And without Martin we would be near the cap floor

Old
08-07-2012, 03:53 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
In addition, we had Michalek who could have been part of a shutdown pair, and had Niskanen replace Martin. Now with Michalek gone we need Martin for this role - at least until someone is acquired or others (likely rookies) step up.

Old
08-07-2012, 04:27 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
In addition, we had Michalek who could have been part of a shutdown pair, and had Niskanen replace Martin. Now with Michalek gone we need Martin for this role - at least until someone is acquired or others (likely rookies) step up.
exactly. martin isn't moving until we feel comfortable that both he and Michalek's positions in the top 4 are replaced. I am pretty confident Niskanen and Despres can do it, but I wouldn't move Martin until I actually see it.

Old
08-07-2012, 07:30 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
exactly. martin isn't moving until we feel comfortable that both he and Michalek's positions in the top 4 are replaced. I am pretty confident Niskanen and Despres can do it, but I wouldn't move Martin until I actually see it.
Not sure how some can be so comfortable going with either Strait, Lovejoy or Bortuzzo playing full time. Martin had a terrible year, and then the injury rumors came out, let's give the guy a chance before moving him for what, cap space?

Old
08-07-2012, 07:46 AM
sEmowashere
[|=(86)=|]

I say keep Martin. Let him prove he's worth most of his cap hit. Personally I'm more comfortable with him in the top 6 than I am with 3 rookies.

Old
08-07-2012, 07:48 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by sEmowashere View Post
I say keep Martin. Let him prove he's worth most of his cap hit. Personally I'm more comfortable with him in the top 6 than I am with 3 rookies.
With the way Fleury played in the playoffs and starting with 3 rookies, I might skip the first couple of games of the year

Closed Thread