HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Teams to start putting ads on jerseys?

Old
08-06-2012, 10:05 PM
McMonster

vCash: 500
I absolutely hate this. Like it or not, it will happen within the next 3 years which is a ****ing shame.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 10:32 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMonster View Post
I absolutely hate this. Like it or not, it will happen within the next 3 years which is a ****ing shame.
Sorry, where did you see that it's happening in 3 years?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 12:40 AM
McMonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Sorry, where did you see that it's happening in 3 years?
I'm just saying within the next 3 years, we will see at least one small corporate logo on all NHL jerseys. Just what I think is going to happen.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 12:57 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
haha I thought the same.

I don't mind that DKNY on the practice that much, but it still looks a little silly.

Just leave the game jerseys free of that crap. It's just unprofessional.

I'm glad that I bought a practice jersey without DKNY, yes I've seen some on sale with it on. But they definitely have to keep the real game jerseys clean of ads.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:07 AM
Fanned On It

I don't mind the DKNY on the ice or even on the practice jerseys... because the practice jerseys aren't what we're going to be seeing on game-day. I actually LIKE the DKNY logo, though, so that's probably why I don't mind it being on the ice. I think it looks nice and it's a New York thing, so.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:23 AM
jniklast

I am used to European soccer jerseys. I think one big ad can look ok, but those jerseys plastered with ads just look ridiculous. I'd prefer no ads at all though, of course.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:35 AM
Realize

Send a message via ICQ to Realize Send a message via MSN to Realize Send a message via Skype™ to Realize
I hope there won't be any ads on the NHL jerseys..
Look at DEL jerseys in Germany. . they look awful. There is nearly no space for the real color of the jersey.

Realize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 02:33 AM
SixGoalieSystem
Eat all the bacon!

vCash: 50
It's a bad move. A real bad move.

It might increase revenue short term, but long term it will have a negative influence on the sports/clubs market value. Having players dressed up as billboards affects fan loyalty and the clubs credibility.

Don't do it.

SixGoalieSystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 02:49 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubkov21 View Post
It's a bad move. A real bad move.

It might increase revenue short term, but long term it will have a negative influence on the sports/clubs market value. Having players dressed up as billboards affects fan loyalty and the clubs credibility.

Don't do it.
At the end of the day, a lot of people will SAY that they'll boycott the NHL for putting ads on players, but very few people will actually stop watching.

It will increase revenue short term and long term, and have a POSITIVE influence on the sports/clubs market value long term. Having players dressed up as billboards will become accepted practice.

Yeah, I think it looks dumb. Would I threaten to stop watching if they did it? Sure I would. Would I actually stop watching? Hell no, I don't really care that much.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 05:31 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

If this happens I will be pissed. Preserve the tradition and sanctity of the jersey! For christs sake we already have sponsors all over the ice, all over the arena, and now as of late we even have sponsors for certain in-game things. "Foxwoods final five," "Mercedes-Benz power-play." It's so ****ing annoying.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 05:38 AM
Realize

Send a message via ICQ to Realize Send a message via MSN to Realize Send a message via Skype™ to Realize
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
...and now as of late we even have sponsors for certain in-game things. "Foxwoods final five," "Mercedes-Benz power-play." It's so ****ing annoying.
OMG I fully forgot that.. "Toyota drive to the net".. "Honda's - keepy our legs on the ice"... awful...

Realize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 06:34 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Bring back the Fox Robots and everything will take care of itself.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 06:48 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Another issue will be having a ton of patches stitched to a jersey. The Edge jerseys (which i dislike to begin with) have areas where no patch can be due to stretch materials that need to stretch for the jerseys to fit over equipment.

They would have to start to adopt dye sublimated jerseys in order for this to work. Which is what European leagues do.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 07:02 AM
SportsFan13

The NBA is adding this too like somebody said and they were talking MLB might also. But MLB I would highly doubt.

SportsFan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 07:32 AM
tailgunner

if the rangers do this on their sacred jerseys I will be done with the sport and never watch again...you have to give credit to the yankees they would never allow this on their uniforms no matter what, they pay a fee to MLB so that there are no names on the back of their jerseys...I think the original 6 teams should stick together and demand this doesnt happen

tailgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 07:46 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I may not stop watching but my jersey buying days would be over, for sure.

08-07-2012, 08:27 AM
Cliffy1814

Quote:
Originally Posted by useref15 View Post
It's happening with the NBA, and other sports will follow. It's really not going to be a big deal. Once the players wear it, I guarantee everyone will buy them like they would have a normal jersey.
I agree.
Soccer jerseys are nothing more than walking billboards and people in Europe (and the US) wear them proudly.

There was similar uproar when they starting putting advertising on the ice and boards....now nobody cares
There was similar uproar about naming rights for stadiums and arenas.... now nobody cares.

If you read the "jersey" thread on this board, there are ALOT of people who want the jersey they buy to look exactly like what the players wear. People complain about buying jersey that has Reebok vector instead of wordmark last year.
People will buy the jerseys with the ads in droves once they get used to it.

Cliffy1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 08:27 AM
ratdog07067

I went to a game in Germany a few years ago and couldn't believe how ridiculous the uniforms looked. It looked like there was almost no space left that wasn't covered by some kind of patch.

Sort of a bad picture but you can kind of get the idea -

ratdog07067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 08:28 AM
SixGoalieSystem
Eat all the bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Team View Post
At the end of the day, a lot of people will SAY that they'll boycott the NHL for putting ads on players, but very few people will actually stop watching.

It will increase revenue short term and long term, and have a POSITIVE influence on the sports/clubs market value long term. Having players dressed up as billboards will become accepted practice.

Yeah, I think it looks dumb. Would I threaten to stop watching if they did it? Sure I would. Would I actually stop watching? Hell no, I don't really care that much.
I don't see a boycott and I don't see tons of fans leaving the sport. What I do see is the sport being taken less seriously by the casual viewer, reducing market growth oportunities. If they see the players wearing clown suits, they'll see it as a circus.

There's a fairly high tolerance for ad covered jerseys here in Europe, but that's because most clubs struggle to make ends meet and the option is pretty much bankrupcy. I do think it affects jersey sales, tho. I for one wouldn't be caught dead in a soccer or hockey jersey even at the rink or stadium, and that's mostly because of the ads.

Have a look at the jerseys from last years (I think. could be the year before) Norwegian Elite League

Old
08-07-2012, 08:43 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMonster View Post
I'm just saying within the next 3 years, we will see at least one small corporate logo on all NHL jerseys. Just what I think is going to happen.
Gotcha. You made it sound as if it was a done deal. You could be right. But I doubt it. Not in the next 36 months anyway...unless it's included in the new CBA it won't happen that quickly.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 08:47 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubkov21 View Post
I don't see a boycott and I don't see tons of fans leaving the sport. What I do see is the sport being taken less seriously by the casual viewer, reducing market growth oportunities. If they see the players wearing clown suits, they'll see it as a circus.

There's a fairly high tolerance for ad covered jerseys here in Europe, but that's because most clubs struggle to make ends meet and the option is pretty much bankrupcy. I do think it affects jersey sales, tho. I for one wouldn't be caught dead in a soccer or hockey jersey even at the rink or stadium, and that's mostly because of the ads.

Have a look at the jerseys from last years (I think. could be the year before) Norwegian Elite League
Not if other NA sports to it as well.

If the NBA, MLB, and NFL did the same thing, then the NHL doing it wouldn't make one bit of difference.

Also there's a difference between one or two smaller ads vs covering the entire jersey in ads.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 08:53 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
I am used to European soccer jerseys. I think one big ad can look ok, but those jerseys plastered with ads just look ridiculous. I'd prefer no ads at all though, of course.
Agreed. A single primary sponsor logo isn't the same as that ^.

I can see how it would be helpful in generating revenue for smaller market teams. You'd like to think that most teams would be more interested in preserving tradition than squeezing another penny out of someone.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 08:59 AM
ak10r
HFBoards Sponsor

I’d chip in to have Pampers or Tampax on Crosby’s jersey…….

ak10r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:09 AM
SixGoalieSystem
Eat all the bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipNash27 View Post
Not if other NA sports to it as well.

If the NBA, MLB, and NFL did the same thing, then the NHL doing it wouldn't make one bit of difference.

Also there's a difference between one or two smaller ads vs covering the entire jersey in ads.
There is and you make a fair point. However, it is a step towards plastering the jersey with even more ads. If the NHL show some discipline it could stop at one discrete ad, but once revenue starts coming from that, I fear they will be tempted to take another step.

Old
08-07-2012, 09:15 AM
petejudge

some of those norwegian jerseys aren't too bad. the orange one all the way on the left and the white one right next to it are pretty simple and i wouldn't be devastated if NHL jerseys looked like that

petejudge is offline   Reply With Quote