HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks 2012 Prospect Rankings - #16

View Poll Results: Who is the Canucks #16 Prospect?
Ben Hutton 1 1.15%
Wesley Myron 0 0%
Ludwig Blomstrand 0 0%
Matthew Beattie 3 3.45%
Steven Anthony 0 0%
Peter Andersson 0 0%
Kellan Tochkin 0 0%
Darren Archibald 0 0%
David Honzik 0 0%
Alex Grenier 3 3.45%
Stefan Schneider 0 0%
Bill Sweatt 15 17.24%
Henrik Tommernes 24 27.59%
Prab Rai 1 1.15%
Pathrik Westerholm 1 1.15%
Adam Polasek 32 36.78%
Jeremy Price 7 8.05%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-06-2012, 05:03 PM
StrictlyCommercial

vCash: 500
Canucks 2012 Prospect Rankings - #16

Canucks Prospects Rankings:
1. Zack Kassian (65%) - http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1230191
2. Nicklas Jensen (58%) - http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1230923
3. Chris Tanev (50%) - http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1232027
4. Eddie Lack (63%) - http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1232603
5. Jordan Schroeder (70%) - http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1233221
6. Brendan Gaunce - (68%) - http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1233885
7. Kevin Connauton - (38%) - http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1234391
8. Frankie Corrado - (64%) - http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1235971
9. Joe Cannata - (49%) - http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1236621
10. Anton Rodin - (39%) - http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1237257
11. Patrick McNally - (60%) - http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1239391
12. Joseph Labate - (40%) - http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1239633
13. Alexandre Mallet - (45%) - http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1240163
14. Yann Sauve - (47%) - http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1240829
15. Alex Friesen - (36%) - http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1241161

StrictlyCommercial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 05:06 PM
hoodstar

Looks like one of our most NHL ready prospect in Bill Sweatt is out of the top 15 of our prospect rankings

hoodstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 06:48 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Tommernes again.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 06:58 PM
AvantiCanada*

Polasek, then Sweatt, then Tommernes

AvantiCanada* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 06:59 PM
stevecanuck16

vCash: 50
The next few are pretty clear.

16. Polasek
17. Tommernes
18. Sweatt (NHL-ready, sure, but not on our roster and his development has stagnated.)
19. Price

The real battle is for the coveted number 20 slot. Grenier, Anthony, Archibald all in the mix. To have 3 different guys with such potential upside battling it out for our 20th prospect ranking is pretty encouraging in my books.

stevecanuck16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 07:20 PM
Mason10
Bacon

Tommernes

Mason10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 07:39 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecanuck16 View Post
The next few are pretty clear.

16. Polasek
17. Tommernes
18. Sweatt (NHL-ready, sure, but not on our roster and his development has stagnated.)
19. Price

The real battle is for the coveted number 20 slot. Grenier, Anthony, Archibald all in the mix. To have 3 different guys with such potential upside battling it out for our 20th prospect ranking is pretty encouraging in my books.
most teams have something similar, where late boom or bust picks round out their bottom group. the difference here is that two years ago, that guy was someone like kellan tochkin where people were kidding themselves and this time around a guy like archibald actually has a 1/whatever chance of making it

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 07:52 PM
stevecanuck16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
most teams have something similar, where late boom or bust picks round out their bottom group. the difference here is that two years ago, that guy was someone like kellan tochkin where people were kidding themselves and this time around a guy like archibald actually has a 1/whatever chance of making it
Yeah, whereas Tochkin is pretty much a dime-a-dozen middling offensive prospect, guys like Archibald or Anthony have certain attributes that make them stick out and could help them fill niche roles in the NHL.

Old
08-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Pseudonymous

Can you guys please sell me on Tommernes. I didn't read past threads so if there was some insightful posts about him, please repost.

Im trying to understand why a D man who is 6 foot 175 with no real offensive power has any real pull here.

How often do D of that size without any real offensive talent make the nhl and do well at all?

Atleast Polasek has put up pretty decent offensive numbers, has nhl D size and can fight.

Pseudonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post
Can you guys please sell me on Tommernes. I didn't read past threads so if there was some insightful posts about him, please repost.

Im trying to understand why a D man who is 6 foot 175 with no real offensive power has any real pull here.

How often do D of that size without any real offensive talent make the nhl and do well at all?
????????

the only thing people TALK about is his offensive capabilities. perhaps you should do more than absolutely no research whatsoever on the prospects?

Old
08-06-2012, 10:37 PM
Pseudonymous

Quote:
????????

the only thing people TALK about is his offensive capabilities. perhaps you should do more than absolutely no research whatsoever on the prospects?
Dude i claimed to know nothing about this one prospect, i know about every single one of our other prospects, i was asking for hfboards opinion instead of going and gathering some, i prefer yours. all i did was quickly check stats and according to his stats (which i wouldn't call offensive at all) and hoping you would correct me

Chill out, and actually be flattered i value the opinion of the collected group here at hfboards of a prospect more than the rest of the internets

BTW, if offense is his gift that is supposed to outweigh his size:

44 5 9 14

Doesn't seem very good, especially considering they weren't an improvement from the year before

Im giving this information to be corrected and learn about him. Because as i see, the stats dont exactly look good

Old
08-06-2012, 10:57 PM
stevecanuck16

Quote:
Dude i claimed to know nothing about this one prospect, i know about every single one of our other prospects, i was asking for hfboards opinion instead of going and gathering some, i prefer yours. all i did was quickly check stats and according to his stats (which i wouldn't call offensive at all) and hoping you would correct me

Chill out, and actually be flattered i value the opinion of the collected group here at hfboards of a prospect more than the rest of the internets

44 5 9 14

Doesn't seem very good, especially considering they weren't an improvement from the year before

Im giving this information to be corrected and learn about him. Because as i see, the stats dont exactly look good
Look at the league he's playing in. Those are pretty impressive stats for someone his age playing pro.

Old
08-06-2012, 11:12 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
i did correct you. it's implied!

you made some poor assertions that i mocked. if you just said "why is he being evaluated so high" i probably would have replied with "because he's offensively talented".

his stats are comparatively decent for his age, position and league. i don't know the story behind his slight regression this year

http://www.eliteprospects.com/league...ort=Defensemen

Last edited by Verviticus: 08-06-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old
08-06-2012, 11:13 PM
Pseudonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecanuck16 View Post
Look at the league he's playing in. Those are pretty impressive stats for someone his age playing pro.
That is true.

I dont know. Between not being able to judge his numbers that great because his numbers are low due to the league hes playing in and his size, its hard to imagine, typically when players are undersized, their offense has to be a step above the rest. We'll see though.

Old
08-06-2012, 11:16 PM
Pseudonymous

Quote:
i did correct you. it's implied!

you made some poor assertions that i mocked. if you just said "why is he being evaluated so high" i probably would have replied with "because he's offensively talented".

his stats are comparatively decent for his age, position and league. i don't know the story behind his slight regression this year
yeah and youre getting that hes offensively talented because of his numbers? hell in 44 games, a player can almost fluke on 5 goals. lol if every D man in the SEL who got 14 pts in 44 games after being in the league for a few years made the nhl, there would be alot of swedish d in the nhl i bet and i do believe his size is working against him so having those numbers dont excite me

im sorry if i dont see how its so obvious where you feel you mock.

I mean hell, its just so evident that Henrik Tommernes is a highly gifted offensive player. lol

Old
08-06-2012, 11:19 PM
Tim Calhoun
Troll *********

vCash: 325
Quote:

44 5 9 14

-Tommernes is 6'0, 185lbs. Not ideal size for an NHL defenseman, but he's not tiny either.

-His offensive numbers were very good for a player his age. He was 3rd in SEL scoring for d-men under the age of 24.

-He had a very high TOI last year, and by all reports he really improved his defensive game.

The guy has spent the last 3 years playing in one of the world's best leagues, and he is younger than both Sauve and Connauton. He is a very underrated prospect.

Last edited by Tim Calhoun: 08-06-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Tim Calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:22 PM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodstar View Post
Looks like one of our most NHL ready prospect in Bill Sweatt is out of the top 15 of our prospect rankings
ready for what in the NHL exactly? he doesn't have the skill for a top-6 role, and while his skill might be serviceable in the bottom-6...he doesn't bring a whole lot of any size, grit, rock solid defensive play to the table to make it worthwhile over many other better options.

NHL-ready doesn't mean much to me, if he's only ready to assume his role as eventual NHL/AHL tweener depth filler player. Doesn't surprise me in the slightest that he's fallen down the rankings. Thought he was pretty overrated in these polls last year.

Quote:

Atleast Polasek has put up pretty decent offensive numbers, has nhl D size and can fight.
Playing top minutes for a pro team in Sweden is a lot different from playing minutes and putting up points in the QMJHL. The totals Tommernes has put up in Sweden are actually very respectable for a blueliner in that league. The fact that he's playing key minutes for a pro team and seems to demonstrate a good deal of hockey sense is a big consideration when ranking prospects.

Granted, it's close for me between he and Polasek, but for somewhat opposite reasons than you're suggesting. Polasek doesn't have a huge heap of upside in the NHL to me. I like him for his ability to be a solid bottom-pairing physical presence with decent mobility and a little bit of upside. A Rome type more than anything else. Tommernes is more of the home-run type. He has real top-4 upside from what i can tell, but at the same time...who knows...he could be another Sebastien Erixon type who can't transition to the physicality and smaller ice of the north american game. But there's definitely higher upside there imo, and particularly when it comes to the offensive side of the game.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:27 PM
Pseudonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post
-Tommernes is 6'0, 185lbs. Not ideal size for an NHL defenseman, but he's not tiny either.

-His offensive numbers were very good for a player his age. He was 3rd in SEL scoring for d-men under the age of 24.

-He had a very high TOI last year, and by all reports he really improved his defensive game.
Is he 185? I glanced at a few others and they said 175 and hes 22 now so whatever weight he is, probably isn't gaining much more. I hope hes 185 now.

Interesting stat about him being 3rd in the SEL, that sounds promising. I do wonder how many under 24 D they have in that small league though

Old
08-06-2012, 11:30 PM
Pseudonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post

Playing top minutes for a pro team in Sweden is a lot different from playing minutes and putting up points in the QMJHL. The totals Tommernes has put up in Sweden are actually very respectable for a blueliner in that league. The fact that he's playing key minutes for a pro team and seems to demonstrate a good deal of hockey sense is a big consideration when ranking prospects.
Oh dont get me wrong, i definitely know theyre respectable. But so were Steve Kariyas numbers, when a player is undersized and non physical , you tend to have to make up for it with extra offense. Also like Schroeder will have to do

Im highly skeptical of Schroeders chances too and thats a player who played on the world junior team and was a first round pick and put up good numbers in the AHL

So you can see why im skeptical of an undersized D who was drafted in the 7th round playing in the SEL who had respectable numbers in a tougher league, since it only takes 5 goals to be respectable

And being undersized on the blueline is a bigger deal than being a forward

We only have one D that height and he plays a physical game and is stocky as hell at 208. If you go across the league, you'll find its not all that common when you take out players top offensive power or players that are stocky (heavier) and play physical

Wish him the best but it will be an uphill battle, i guess its usually the case with 7th rounders and a teams 16th rated prospect

Last edited by Pseudonymous: 08-06-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old
08-06-2012, 11:30 PM
Tim Calhoun
Troll *********

vCash: 325
Quote:
Is he 185? I glanced at a few others and they said 175 and hes 22 now so whatever weight he is, probably isn't gaining much more. I hope hes 185 now.

Interesting stat about him being 3rd in the SEL, that sounds promising. I do wonder how many under 24 D they have in that small league though
I'm going off what it says on Eliteprospects:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=10018

Tim Calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:50 PM
RonTugnutt
Kesler is washed up

vCash: 56
I keep voting for Prab Rai because I think its a joke he is even on this list.

RonTugnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:52 PM
Pseudonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonTugnutt View Post
I keep voting for Prab Rai because I think its a joke he is even on this list.

Old
08-07-2012, 12:05 AM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post
I'm going off what it says on Eliteprospects:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=10018
eliteprospects also has alex mallet at like 172 so

Old
08-07-2012, 12:22 AM
denkiteki

Decided to go off the board a bit and went with Alex Grenier.

Late bloomer but had a decent year last year. If he keeps developing, who knows, might end up being a decent top 6 power forward while others still on the list are likely on the same boat (hit or miss) or at most bottom 6 players (Sweatt).

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:24 AM
timw33

We could probably move onto the next one, looks like it's between Sweatt/Tommneres.

Then Price.

Then some random.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote