HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Futbol II

Old
08-04-2012, 10:21 PM
sycamore

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Ooof....Sturridge misses and Team GB is out. Time to sell him Roman...
I think Britan can take solace in the fact that they won 6 gold medals today, their best in 108 years! What, the Brits are now the swaggering bullies on the block? Whats the world coming too?

sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 02:55 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

US Women tie it up....1-1.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 03:20 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

3-3 what a game...

Old
08-06-2012, 03:38 PM
sunnydaycrash

Blatant one sided refereeing

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 04:24 PM
Cush
-inator

Alex Morgan scores with 30 seconds left in ET in the 2nd OT to win it for the US

Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 04:41 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Great game, but even as a US citizen, I agree, the reffing was, um, suspect.

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 05:50 PM
sycamore

Really tired of having Abby Wambach shoved in my face by the networks. Hope she retires after the Olympics and leaves the prettier (way prettier), younger and more talented Morgan to be the face of the team.

sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 06:41 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

This just in...the best player is getting facetime. Morgan is a peach for sure...

Tough loss for Canada. Lots of heart shown by both sides.

Old
08-06-2012, 07:03 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Wambach was the best player...if you are the type of "fan" that enjoys overhyped big name English players with lots of flash but limited technical skill.

Sinclair and Rapinoe were in a completely different class compared to the rest on the pitch.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 07:15 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

This just in Rapinoe has been good for a while. Must be a new "fan".

I'd go Morgan myself, but Abby certainly knows how to put the ball in the net and that's the ultimate goal.

Old
08-06-2012, 10:03 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Wambach and Morgan created little considering the size and speed advantage they have. They left Cheney alone to track back on Sinclair and predictably she got owned. The Americans looked dangerous whenever the offense went through Rapinoe and vulnerable to the counterattack when they kept trying the long balls to Wambach and Morgan. Rapinoe brings more to the team and doesn't get anywhere near the attention of Wambach and Morgan.

Then again, NA soccer is pretty much backasswards like the English in what they value in players.

Old
08-07-2012, 12:24 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
Rapinoe is a ****ing wizard with the ball. So much fun to watch.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 07:17 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
Blatant one sided refereeing
you can say it was bad, but there is no way in hell it was one-sided. There were 2 different times when Abby Wombach was gang tackled in the box, with no call. Tancredi should have been sent off for at least 3 different fouls that should have been a second yellow.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 07:19 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
Rapinoe is a ****ing wizard with the ball. So much fun to watch.
I vehemently disagree. Rapinoe is as inconsistent as hell. When people watch highlights, they see plenty of great plays, but god damn that woman plays a lot of just god awful balls, and crosses that sail over everyone's head. Both her goals last night deflected off Canadian players. She's the Allen Iverson type that just takes so many attempts that a bunch end up going in and looking good, so her stats look good and make the highlight reels. I liked her role a lot more last year coming off the bench as a spark plug/high energy type.

Old
08-07-2012, 08:20 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
you can say it was bad, but there is no way in hell it was one-sided. There were 2 different times when Abby Wombach was gang tackled in the box, with no call. Tancredi should have been sent off for at least 3 different fouls that should have been a second yellow.
True! Having been a referee, to be honest I've never seen a keeper get called for the 6 second violation. Plenty of times I myself have warned goalkeepers about it but have never penalized them for the infraction. There just has to be more to this, such as the referee having repeatedly warned the Canadian goalkeeper during the match about the infraction and the Canadian goalkeeper paying no mind.

As far as the PK, I have no problem with the call it was the right one and the same with the no call on Rapinoe when the ball struck her arm while she was within the US penalty area. Law 12 specifically notes that a player can not deliberately direct or propel the ball with their hands. BTW hands are usually defined in soccer as the fingertips all the way up the arm to the outter portion of the shoulder. But in layman's terms it comes down to whether the hands played the ball or the ball played the hands, that is did the hands move into the path or flight of the ball or were the hands in a location they should normally be. So it was a correct call and no call.

As far as the Canadian Tancerdi, she should have been booked for Persistent Infringement in the first half. Part of the Referee team's responsibility and this is where the fourth official comes into play is to track fouls. I believe Tancerdi had five fouls called on her just in the first half and a total of 7 during the match.

I think Brandi Chastain's observations earlier during the tournament about the US defense and goalkeeping was validated yesterday. U.S. has some serious question marks back there on defense. Japan plays a very patient game that will bend a lot and allow the US alot of time like they experienced yesterday in the offensive zone and then quickly counter. It's their counter attack that's going to give the US defense trouble.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Foy

Holy crap, just saw Tancredi's head stomp from yesterday. She had no business being on the pitch after that. Can't believe she had the gall to say anything about the officiating after that.

http://t.co/RPOjqRkQ

Old
08-07-2012, 12:32 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Holy crap, just saw Tancredi's head stomp from yesterday. She had no business being on the pitch after that. Can't believe she had the gall to say anything about the officiating after that.

http://t.co/RPOjqRkQ
There was a flying forearm against the US in the box too....that's why I laughed when the cries about one-sided reffing started. Sure some were missed (against both sides) and some were called that you NEVER see called in the mens game...

Old
08-07-2012, 12:34 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I vehemently disagree. Rapinoe is as inconsistent as hell. When people watch highlights, they see plenty of great plays, but god damn that woman plays a lot of just god awful balls, and crosses that sail over everyone's head. Both her goals last night deflected off Canadian players. She's the Allen Iverson type that just takes so many attempts that a bunch end up going in and looking good, so her stats look good and make the highlight reels. I liked her role a lot more last year coming off the bench as a spark plug/high energy type.
That's a little harsh. US doesn't win without her playmaking. Usually something good happens when she has the ball.

Old
08-07-2012, 12:37 PM
Foy

Quote:
That's a little harsh. US doesn't win without her playmaking. Usually something good happens when she has the ball.
I disagree. I'd rather have Heath and O'Reilly out there. Both her goals yesterday were deflections off of Canadian players. I thought Rapignoe was great in WC11 when coming off the bench around the 70th minute. Big energy lift, especially throughout the knockout rounds. She's probably not a starter if Ali Kreiger doesn't blow out her knee.

Old
08-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Foy

Quote:
There was a flying forearm against the US in the box too....that's why I laughed when the cries about one-sided reffing started. Sure some were missed (against both sides) and some were called that you NEVER see called in the mens game...
The flying forearm was into Abby, as Abby was being taken down from behind.

Old
08-07-2012, 02:33 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Oh Oscar, I can't wait to see you in England....the kid's touch is sickening.

Old
08-07-2012, 02:51 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Rapinoe is a good player but like Foy I feel she gets a bit overrated. She plays on the wing so by definition she has a harder time to consistently have impact on the game, to me she plays the ball with little patience and often makes a dumb giveaway or takes a dumb shot when there is a better play elsewhere. That said she overwhelming has positive impact on the teams play - she is the best freekick taker - but I feel like she is the 2nd best wide player on the team, behind Tobin Heath (and Heath is only getting better), and Heath by all means should be playing in the middle of the pitch before too long, as the attacking midfielder (which the current formation does not really have due to Morgan and Wambach both playing striker).

I think US needs to score early against Japan and then get Shannon Boxx into the game, there needs to be a defensive midfielder in the game to help US's defense. THe defenders are fine but they don't have a great natual holding midfielder in front of them. Lloyd should probably play an attacking role and Cheney should play box to box - due to the 2 strikers they're both kinda playing roles that don't suit them that well, which has hurt the US when they play against dangerous attacking midfielders - since they kinda have free roam (such as we saw against France and now Canada).

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Foy

I really feel it's a shame Heather O'Reilly isn't playing more. For a team with tons of talent on offense, but a little spotty on defense, her commitment to both ends of the field could be wonderous. And as we saw in extra time yesterday, she can cross pretty darn well too.

Old
08-08-2012, 03:47 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Box-to-box players are overrated and outdated.

The midfielders are going to be spotty as long as the team is built around the flashy players and not the best players. They focus on lobbing long balls and crosses for Wambach and Morgan. It's a backasswards strategy for a team with hilariously bad defenders. It's not obvious when they have a big talent advantage but in the tight games it shows.

They should be using their best players in midfield optimizing their technical skill in possession which would prevent some of the Englandesque chokes and near chokes that have been common in the current era.

Old
08-08-2012, 09:27 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Canada was pressing the midfielders with double coverage a lot yesterday causing the US to get rid of it, so there was no chance to play keep away with possession. Also, their speed advantage (US) on the wings was so apparent it's no wonder they were launching long balls. It was working. The US D is very suspect. Will be interesting to see how they respond to Japan. 3-2 US on Penalties....