HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

UFC on Fox 4: Shogun vs Vera

Old
08-05-2012, 09:17 PM
DeathFromAbove

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I thought Machida was crap, just hand movements til Bader moved, was stupid.
That's uh, kind of his style. He put on a clinic against Bader.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 10:42 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
That's uh, kind of his style. He put on a clinic against Bader.
Well aware, just bs IMO. I'm also a high school wrestler and prefer attack rather than a pseudo break dancing. Not entertaining, either.

08-06-2012, 12:53 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
Loved a Shogun-Machida parlay that ended up being around -140. Should've put my money where my mouth was. Granted I would've been a little worried at times during the Shogun fight. Lol. I thought Shogun would steamroll Vera, so I'll give credit where credit is due as Vera certainly made it a fight, but I would contend it had as much to do with Shogun once again not seeming 100% than anything Vera was doing. Shogun is just so inconsistent.

I felt Bader had absolutely no chance of winning, and the fight certainly played out that way. I just didn't see what he'd be able to do to get the victory. He just doesn't have the wrestling to take Machida down, and everyone knew he would get smoked standing. I don't know why guys come forward throwing punches at Machida and Anderson. It does not work. You have to close the distance and then throw punches. Big difference. Easier said than done obviously, but still... I like Bader so I was hoping he'd pull off some miracle, but the reality is he's just not at that level.

I completely agreed with Rashad and Chael about Davis being very lucky that fight got stopped due to the eye poke. He looked absolutely terrible. There was a thread on Sherdog questioning whether Davis has the proper mindset for fighting. I honestly don't think he does. I don't think he'll ever make another run. He's tentative, and despite looking tremendously athletic he isn't explosive enough to use his wrestling against the elite of the division. I hope they match those two up again because I'm assuming Davis would still be a pretty big favorite (he was nearly -700 this time), so I'd definitely be putting some money down on Prado. Word is the rematch could take place at UFC on FX 5.
Good call on Prado. I regretted picking Davis almost immediately.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 12:57 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Well aware, just bs IMO. I'm also a high school wrestler and prefer attack rather than a pseudo break dancing. Not entertaining, either.
It was beautiful I love seeing wrestlers eat the mat like that. Bader had no chance. Lyoto destroyed him

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 01:33 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
It was beautiful I love seeing wrestlers eat the mat like that. Bader had no chance. Lyoto destroyed him
Yeah, a whole round of Machida just making hand movements and waiting for Bader was beautiful. Nope, was as rough as a Fitch fight. I don't cheer for wrestlers and prefer strikers, was just saying I prefer aggression. Machida seemed more standoffish than usual.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 05:52 AM
clarke19

It was beautiful. Bader was throwing flailing punches like an amateur and couldn't land a thing while Machida was able to outstrike him on kicks alone. Me and my friends couldn't stop laughing during that fight at the pure clinic that Machida put on. It was like a father playing with his 4 year old son.

clarke19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 07:32 AM
macleod50

A counter puncher waiting ..............to counter. Machida did what he always does.

Comparing that to a Fitch fight is ridiculous.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 09:34 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Yeah, a whole round of Machida just making hand movements and waiting for Bader was beautiful. Nope, was as rough as a Fitch fight. I don't cheer for wrestlers and prefer strikers, was just saying I prefer aggression. Machida seemed more standoffish than usual.
I know you and many other people would've preferred Machida to go and trade punches with Bader and make it a brawl, but that's not Machida's style and that's the beauty of MMA, differing styles competing. I didn't find it boring at all because I knew at any time Bader could get frustrated, make a mistake and get put to sleep.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 10:37 AM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Nope, was as rough as a Fitch fight.
If you ignore the violent and spectacular finish I guess.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:32 AM
Captain_Cunney

I wonder if all Fox cards will bring out the tolls? Imagine what will happen after a bad card?

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:43 AM
m9

I don't know why people feel the need to defend the first round of Bader/Machida, it was pretty boring. Both guys did nothing. It's all fine now because Machida knocked him out later, but if rounds 2 and 3 went like round 1 it would have been quite the snoozer.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 12:09 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
I don't know why people feel the need to defend the first round of Bader/Machida, it was pretty boring. Both guys did nothing. It's all fine now because Machida knocked him out later, but if rounds 2 and 3 went like round 1 it would have been quite the snoozer.
I re-watched that fight and other than the KO it was a pretty boring fight. Watching Shogun/Vera again w/o the sound listening to Rogan slob on Vera, Shogun pretty much handled him with ease.

Also, the Machida KO.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 01:21 PM
BK201

is there a place i can stream this event now?

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 05:34 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
I completely agreed with Rashad and Chael about Davis being very lucky that fight got stopped due to the eye poke. He looked absolutely terrible. There was a thread on Sherdog questioning whether Davis has the proper mindset for fighting. I honestly don't think he does. I don't think he'll ever make another run. He's tentative, and despite looking tremendously athletic he isn't explosive enough to use his wrestling against the elite of the division. I hope they match those two up again because I'm assuming Davis would still be a pretty big favorite (he was nearly -700 this time), so I'd definitely be putting some money down on Prado. Word is the rematch could take place at UFC on FX 5.
I thought the Phil Davis talk was crazy over-reaction by Sonnen and Evans. It was 88 seconds into the fight. 88. Not even two minutes. You have to setup with your standup as opposed to just charging in with takedowns from across the cage. Just completely foolish for Sonnen or Rashad to think that was any indication what Davis was going to do over 15 minutes. There's obviously a beef with Rashad and Davis, and it really clouded the post-fight talk. Can't believe people bought into the BS that those guys were spewing. If we were 88 seconds into the third round they might have a point. Notorious slow-starter Rashad knows better than that.

Old
08-06-2012, 05:37 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
I thought the Phil Davis talk was crazy over-reaction by Sonnen and Evans. It was 88 seconds into the fight. 88. Not even two minutes. You have to setup with your standup as opposed to just charging in with takedowns from across the cage. Just completely foolish for Sonnen or Rashad to think that was any indication what Davis was going to do over 15 minutes. There's obviously a beef with Rashad and Davis, and it really clouded the post-fight talk. Can't believe people bought into the BS that those guys were spewing. If we were 88 seconds into the third round they might have a point. Notorious slow-starter Rashad knows better than that.
Davis was getting punked on the feet. He had nothing to offer in regards to the stand up. I was pulling for Davis and can freely admit that he should have been looking for a back door to scoot out of the cage.

You can say things may have changed, but not based on what we saw.

Old
08-06-2012, 05:46 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Davis was getting punked on the feet. He had nothing to offer in regards to the stand up. I was pulling for Davis and can freely admit that he should have been looking for a back door to scoot out of the cage.

You can say things may have changed, but not based on what we saw.
He wasn't getting punked, nothing had happened. There was nothing significant in those first 88 seconds. Prado is known as the better striker out of the two, so if he had an extra shot or two its hardly surprising. If he was stuffing takedowns or landing significant strikes, then we would have something. Instead, we got a throwaway fight that showed nothing.

Old
08-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 202
Quote:
I think they were wrong to criticize his gameplan since it was so early in the fight. Kind of like how people were criticizing Cain for standing with JDS in their fight. Like you said, you have to set up the takedowns and can't just go in there and dive at your opponent's legs.

But they were right about Davis' stand up and the fight not going his way. I don't care how early it was, Davis' stand up looked awful. It seems like he hasn't improved at all in that area.

I thought the post fight interview with Ariel was pretty funny. Davis just assumed it was Rashad who said he was probably happy the fight ended that way so he could get out of there but it was actually Chael who said it. Rashad's reaction was great.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 06:02 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I think they were wrong to criticize his gameplan since it was so early in the fight. Kind of like how people were criticizing Cain for standing with JDS in their fight. Like you said, you have to set up the takedowns and can't just go in there and dive at your opponent's legs.

But they were right about Davis' stand up and the fight not going his way. I don't care how early it was, Davis' stand up looked awful. It seems like he hasn't improved at all in that area.

I thought the post fight interview with Ariel was pretty funny. Davis just assumed it was Rashad who said he was probably happy the fight ended that way so he could get out of there but it was actually Chael who said it. Rashad's reaction was great.
That's all I'm really saying - it was way too early to criticize any gameplan by Davis since he knows what it was. For fighters like Rashad and Chael to be so critical was just incredibly dumb. It felt forced - they had nothing else to talk about in regards to the fight so they go with that angle.

Old
08-06-2012, 10:41 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Yeah Davis being criticized for not going for a takedown early is dumb. Prado is a muy thai guy who rolls with team Nog so i'm sure he was coached to be careful of him shooting early. Hopefully the fight happens again.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:26 PM
Peter Griffin

Just watched the Davis/Prado fight again out of curiousity and I agree that criticizing Davis for not utilizing his wrestling to that point is foolish. Other than a front kick by Davis that partially connected in the first half minute and a right hook by Prado that had Davis moving backwards prior to the eye poke, both guys were more or less just pawing at each other the rest of the round.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:02 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarke19 View Post
It was beautiful. Bader was throwing flailing punches like an amateur and couldn't land a thing while Machida was able to outstrike him on kicks alone. Me and my friends couldn't stop laughing during that fight at the pure clinic that Machida put on. It was like a father playing with his 4 year old son.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod50 View Post
A counter puncher waiting ..............to counter. Machida did what he always does.

Comparing that to a Fitch fight is ridiculous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
I know you and many other people would've preferred Machida to go and trade punches with Bader and make it a brawl, but that's not Machida's style and that's the beauty of MMA, differing styles competing. I didn't find it boring at all because I knew at any time Bader could get frustrated, make a mistake and get put to sleep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
If you ignore the violent and spectacular finish I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
I wonder if all Fox cards will bring out the tolls? Imagine what will happen after a bad card?

I watch nearly every UFC event, TUF, replays, etc. I know what I'm talking about. There was nothing beautiful, fun, or exciting about the fight until the finish. Hey great, that's his style, wait for a guy to come in, counter and generally do well. The first round completely sucked. Bader was obviously timid and nervous about Machida's excellent counter techniques and abilities, but how anyone was OK with all his arm movements and honestly that sit there style is beyond me. Most don't like when Anderson toys with his opponents, seemed very similar to me. I don't like it, you guys do? OK, doesn't change my opinion.

So far as the Fitch comparison, he just does enough to score points, it's boring. So was the first round.

Old
08-07-2012, 01:29 AM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
He wasn't getting punked, nothing had happened. There was nothing significant in those first 88 seconds. Prado is known as the better striker out of the two, so if he had an extra shot or two its hardly surprising. If he was stuffing takedowns or landing significant strikes, then we would have something. Instead, we got a throwaway fight that showed nothing.
Nothing significant happened in terms of big strikes or takedowns or whatever, but that fight just had a feel to it that I would not have liked if I was in Davis's corner. Davis was tentative and backing up most of the time, and you got the feeling that the fight was about to turn in Prado's favor. Now if that happened could Davis have taken him down? Sure that's a possibility, but assuming enough people saw that fight, I don't think Davis will be anywhere near -700 this time around (I hope he is).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Agreed.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Hopefully the fight happens again.
The fight is tentatively planned for UFC on FX 5, but word is Prado also wanted to fight at UFC 153 in Brazil (which is the following weekend), with Griggs' name being mentioned.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:32 AM
TimeZone
Nylander @ 8!

Quote:
I thought Machida was crap, just hand movements til Bader moved, was stupid. Think Bones chews him up again, LOVED the standing choke he was put in, then just dropped.

Vera was impressive in that he kept coming back from hard hits, but if Rua had any conditioning he'd have been destroyed. Vera's a clown.
Wtf?

TimeZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:54 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeZone View Post
Wtf?
Wtf...what??

Old
08-07-2012, 02:22 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Wtf...what??
Your takes on Machida are so nonsensical that he is probably trying to figure out if you are trolling or if you really believe what you are saying in this thread.

Machida isnt everyone's cup of tea, I get that, but even if you dont care for his style, or his game plan, you should be able to appreciate his skill and execution.

The guy rarely gets tagged and/or taken down because he is so elusive and yet he is quick enough to counter and/or move into range, strike, and move back out of range, often times without getting tagged himself.

He is a world class striker/mma fighter.

He is most definitely not "crap" or "Fitch".