HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Introduce Yourself

Old
08-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 3746
You guys can call me CM.

I was raised (mostly) in Coquitlam on Foster Ave. across from the Vancouver Golf Club. I moved to the Comox Valley in the mid 90's and was a commercial diver for 15 years but after a car accident was unable to continue in that profession because I am now uninsurable. I was a high school dropout so I returned to school (Courtenay campus, North Island College) where I graduated grade 12 and went on to take college courses in creative writing, Canadian history, American history, world history and political science. Plus a couple others that escape my mind at the moment. Since then I've been writing and have been published locally as well in the lower mainland and internationally on the internet. Topics have ranged from American foreign policy in the Middle East to human interest stories. I'm currently working on a screenplay about a remarkable series of events which took place in Vancouver and Coquitlam many years ago.

I am a Vancouver Canucks fan through-and-through. I've been a Canucks fan pretty-much my entire life. Indeed, the Canucks are so tied to significant events in my life that I recall the Canucks in the 1970s when I was beginning to notice that girls had bumps and curves that were beginning to look a little less silly and a helluva lot more attractive. In 1982 when the Canucks made the finals I cheered King Richard and Harry Snepts with all my heart (I've forgiven you for that giveaway Harold). In 1994 I was on high seas in the Queen Charlotte Strait and yelling at a crew boat skipper to hurry the hell up because game 7 was about to begin. I didn't care if he risked my life in doing so. I had to see the game. 2011 - well many of us went through that together right here.

I like fishing, hunting and Harleys and admittedly do not fit the stereotype of people who are native to the Lower Mainland; that being, tree-hugging liberal hippies. My politics are more centrist than that. Nothing against them personally though. Just don't get between me and a deer.

CM

08-06-2012, 09:10 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!

vCash: 500
I'm Chief Wiggum, I'm from Victoria, BC, Canada and I love sports.

Favorite Teams:
Hockey - Vancouver Canucks and the Montreal Canadiens
Baseball - Toronto Blue Jays and the LA Dodgers
Basketball - LA Clippers
Soccer - Canada Womens National Team
Football - BC Lions / Carolina Panthers
Favorite Movie: Stand By Me
Favorite Bands: Metallica, Iron Maiden, Foster the People
Hobbies: Hockey, Baseball, Senior Year at Highschool (probaby applying for Journalism at UVic)

And yeah. Oh and I love Video Games.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 09:53 PM
Zombotron
WD-57

Hi, I'm Zombo. From East Vancouver but have lived in Nanaimo since I was eleven years old. Three days younger than Taylor Hall and would have played with Evander Kane if I had ever taken up hockey (or at least that's what I like to tell myself). My first taste of hockey fandom was attending a game vs. St. Louis in 2001. Watched every moment of the 2003 and 2004 playoffs. Didn't pay close attention to the Canucks until the 2007 playoffs, and turned into a hardcore fan that summer. Here I am now! I'm responsible for that "Ryan Kesler did this" meme which appeared on HFBoards some time ago. I also had a hand in creating the frankenstein Canucks logo which has gone on to permanently adorn peoples' bodies in tattoo form.

In my spare time, I like to hipster. The Flying V is so underrated...

Oh, right...I really, really, really, really, really enjoy combining Photoshop and hockey, though you probably knew that already.

Last edited by Zombotron: 08-06-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Zombotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 10:05 PM
Adikt

Adikt

Same tag on CDC but I'm not there much anymore. Coquitlam has been home for most of my life. Now an engineering student at UBC and live on campus during the school year which means I'm a lot closer to the arena and it's easier for me to pickup last minute tickets and head down on game days. I lurk. A lot. Hopefully I'll start posting more often and get to know more of everyone.

Adikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 10:26 PM
Anodyne

Been a Canucks fan since Harold Druken's playoff-clinching goal in 2000. I grew up on Vancouver Island, so my happiest Canucks memories are trips to the big city for games with my dad and brother. I live in East Van right now but am moving to Victoria at the end of the month and can't wait to get out of here.

Anodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 10:26 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post
True, I shouldn't divulge such private information to strangers on the internet.
Keeps the Nigerian princes out of your bank account, though.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 10:31 PM
The Finnish MacInnis*

My favourite player now plays for the ****ing Lightning

Last edited by The Finnish MacInnis*: 08-07-2012 at 03:18 AM.
The Finnish MacInnis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 10:35 PM
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate

I actually got into hockey because of fantasy sports.
I joined the basketball one first, because I was a basketball fan, but I also joined a hockey league just for curiosity's sake.
To know who to pick up, I started watching a lot of hockey games, and I started to get hooked.
It was also when the Canucks began to turn the team around.
When there is a winning team, it is easier to be interested.

I was really hooked on fantasy hockey, and after a while, I can list all the stats of almost every player, even face-off winning percentages of a fourth line player.
That's when I realize I may have overdone it and backed off quite a bit.
I am still hooked on hockey, but I mainly watch only the Canucks now.

After the Grizzilies left, I became really disillusioned with the NBA.
I still play fantasy basketball, but only when a friend asks me.
Otherwise, it is hockey and football for me.

I am a sport fan in general, especially hockey, NFL football and baseball.
For proximity sakes, my teams are the Canucks (here), Seahawks (4 hours away) and the Blue Jays (in Canada).
I watch almost everything, except golf (which is not a sport) and soccer.

nameless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 12:08 AM
Toblerone
RIP Hickstead

I grew up in Campbell River, graduated from UBC and will actually be moving back to Van in September for two more years of school.

I became a fan of the Canucks during the WCE era...Naslund was always my favourite. I have always liked hockey but didn't care to watch it on TV when I was younger so didn't care about the Canucks at that time. Preferred to watch my towns local JR. B team in person.

My favourite hobbies are riding and reading and I've become quite the sports fan in general. NHL, CFL, Tennis, NFL, MLB, Curling, Volleyball, Olympics...I enjoy watching them all. I also love animals, they're the best

Toblerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 12:10 AM
Skobel24
#Ignited

vCash: 50
Hi, I'm Skobel24... I don't come here often, but when I do, I'm usually polite. Goodbye!

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:44 AM
billvanseattle

Bill van seattle

when i joined i was living near seattle, but live and die vancouver (hence the name). family has had seasons tickets since 70, and since my fairly fanatical parents are no more, i have 4 exceptional season tickets i can;t afford.

grew up in W van , lived in 15 or so different places in the lower mainland, been in the states for 10 years. care more about VC than just about anything (well 2 daughters that put every one to shame)

an engineer who is retired early, loves to travel 5 times a year, but still gets excited about good gravel.

very lucky in that my life is near perfect. eternal optimist - have believed the canucks are on the verge of winning a SC for about 40 years (you know, lever and vervegart with Sanderson could be just about the best line in history .... etc )

billvanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:48 AM
gurfling

Born & raised west side Vancouver (near Kerrisdale).

Grew up playing soccer (it's still second on my list), but have always loved the Canucks as well, Dad had half season tickets growing up (in the 80's), good times. I have many terrible memories of the Oilers crushing us on a regular basis.

Hobbies : Field Hockey, poker, soccer (badly), ball hockey (I'm the guy they always stick in net)

Currently live in Burnaby & have gone back to school

gurfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:52 AM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Guys, there is something you should know...I'm not a real reverend. Not even religious. Feels good to get that off my chest.

I live in Port Coquitlam and have for 19 years...Obviously I like hockey. Became a fan 8 years ago and quickly learned about the history of it during the lockout, dark times back then...worst winter ever. By association I was a Canucks fan, back when a team with Naslund, Bertuzzi, Jovanovski, and Cloutier were expected to win the Cup...hehe yeah right.

I am currently attending Douglas College. Other sports I enjoy are baseball, badminton, and basketball for the vertically challenged. I am a Gemini and like long walks on the beach. I once refused to wear change in gym and played dodgeball in corduroy pants, which obviously split right in the rear-end. Longest school day of my life. I am a pretty good skier recreationally. Also, I like beer.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 02:03 AM
ziploc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Guys, there is something you should know...I'm not a real reverend. Not even religious. Feels good to get that off my chest.
Huh, weird. Along the same lines, I am not a ziploc bag, though I have a great story about one. And I am religious.

ziploc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 02:07 AM
nameless1
HF's Poet Laureate

Quote:

Now who will save HF's soul?

nameless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 02:31 AM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless1 View Post

Now who will save HF's soul?
Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, or the Tooth Fairy perhaps?

I keed.

Old
08-07-2012, 02:39 AM
ziploc

Quote:
Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, or the Tooth Fairy perhaps?

I keed.
Booth, obviously. And Doan, if he ever makes a decision.

ziploc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 02:44 AM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
Booth, obviously. And Doan, if he ever makes a decision.
Booth, Hamhuis, Doan...are the Canucks become to non-secular? What are you saying you hate the Canucks? You must hate god too!

Old
08-07-2012, 02:58 AM
Jevo

I live in Denmark (hence the flag), and I've been a Canucks fans since the 08-09 season. I don't really know what my name means, but I stole it from a Spanish metal musician.

I've just finished secondary school, which means I probably should be heading to university right now. But I'll be taking a sabbatical instead, some of which will be spend in Vancouver, mostly because I can, and because the prospect of working minimum wage somewhere that isn't Denmark just sounds infinitely more interesting.

Jevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 03:55 AM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

I'm Vankiller Whale, been a Canucks fan ever since I first started following hockey(only a year ago...)

And live in Toronto. And am optimistic about our future(yes, new fan and all.)

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 04:24 AM
DJOpus

I'm DJOpus, which I kind of wish wasn't my username but I'm not creative and can't come up with something better.

Born in Vancouver, grew up in Coquitlam, moved downtown for several years, and recently back to Coquitlam after my family got bigger. Canucks fan since I was old enough to remember, about '89 when we played Calgary.

Favorite teams (in order of priorty for watching games): Canucks, team Canada men's hockey, Arsenal, team Canada - all other sports, 49ers, BC Lions, Whitecaps, and Blue Jays.

Best sports memory - Canada winning men's gold at the Olympics, nothing beats it until we win the Cup (if I am alive to see it).

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:15 AM
dimsauce
Rookie User

Hey guys - I'm new around here. Go by the name 'dimsauce', and I'm a big-time Canucks fan. Still recovering from the heartache of the last two playoff exits.

Any of you guys on Twitter as well?

dimsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:20 AM
jimmythescot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
Huh, weird. Along the same lines, I am not a ziploc bag, though I have a great story about one. And I am religious.
I actually hate the name 'Jimmy' and much prefer 'James'.

I was born and partially raised in Victoria before moving to the Highlands (actually Dingwall for anyone that has seen Brave) when I was in grade 9. So I also enjoy soccer nowadays, and am an avid follower of Ross County FC, as should you be. Uh....I have a kid and I am married and I'm currently training to be an Urban Planner.

EDIT: My hatred of the name 'Jimmy' partially comes from the same person it's partially in tribute to. I was walking down the street near my old flat near the centre of Edinburgh at about 6pm when I noticed the two local 40ish vagabonds were drunk already. I slowed down my stride so I could hear what they were talking about this time. The language I'll use is obviously nothing like the way they were talking since it would be a quick way to get banned to repeat the crude language they used. The alpha of the two, who I've forgotten the name of, was telling Jimmy all about how he'd gone down to the docks last night and hired a lady of ill repute, and she'd only charged him 3. He was going on about how great it was to 'be inside' and said how good it was to be in touch with a woman again. He then asked "Jimmy, have you ever been with a woman?" to which Jimmy's mouse like reply was 'I felt a boob once'. It took all my self control not to laugh at the poor guy.

I miss those guys.

Last edited by jimmythescot: 08-07-2012 at 11:29 AM.
jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:35 AM
galiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
Also a fan since 1970. I'm a musician who splits his time between Mexico and southern Cal. At tmes, I consider myself to be the oldest person alive.

I've also been a fan since Kurtenbach was the captain. And i'm possibly older than you ! - my first car was a 53 Austin Somerset - I've graduated to a rather nice Infiniti

What is the car in your photo ?

I will live at least until the Canucks win a Stanley Cup !

galiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

I'm Mr. Canucklehead, been a member of the boards since 2002 when I was the tender age of 17...my, where does the time go.

Started off as a Wayne Gretzky fan as a kid, didn't matter what jersey he wore. Grew up memorizing the 1987 Blades of Summer and Wayne Gretzky: Above and Beyond tapes down to the last word. Saw my first Canucks game in 1992 for my birthday at the Colisseum - my Dad took me and a friend, and we watched the Canucks beat the Calgary Flames 5-2. The highlight of the game was a penalty shot awarded to Gino Odjick, on which he scored against Mike Vernon. Been a die-hard Canuck fan ever since.

I was raised in Vancouver, but I now live in Kitimat thanks to Mrs. Canucklehead (she was raised here and wanted to move back). I am the proud father of a soon-to-be-3-year-old Canucks fan (like father, like son), and I am expecting another new Canuck fan in March of 2013. Life is good.

I went to film school to become an actor...and now I'm a banker. Them's the bounces.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote