HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-06-2012, 10:28 PM
  #1
Sore Loser
HF Partner
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,110
vCash: 500
2013 NHL Draft Thread

I know it's early and all, but I figured that since now is the time I start my hockey prospect season, it would be a good opportunity to start the NHL Draft thread for next year. With three first round picks as of this post, the Jackets are certainly going to be paying major attention to the top prospects for the draft. With Team Canada naming their under-18 team for the Ivan Hlinka tournament today (which runs August 13-18), here are the guys that made the team, and will certainly be worth following:

http://www.whl.ca/uploads/assets/WHL...U18_roster.pdf

Certainly, this is by no means a list of the top prospects available for the upcoming draft, and clearly there are some very important names that you won't find on the list; such as Seth Jones (USA), Hunter Shinkaruk, Sean Monahan (late birthdays/not eligible), amongst others.

I know this doesn't appeal to all of you, but if you're a hockey fan you might enjoy keeping tabs on it, as there isn't typically much going on in the world of hockey in August. I'll be following the tournament very closely as usual, as it's really my first opportunity to see all of these kids compete against each other on a meaningful basis. If anyone has any questions about the tournament or the players involved, I'll be glad to provide as many answers as I can. I'll also be keeping very close tabs on each and every one of these players (particularly the WHLers) as each player's season gets under way.

Sore Loser is offline  
Old
08-06-2012, 10:46 PM
  #2
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,385
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Would be awesome to hear analysis, at least. I figured out long ago that my amateur scouting ability in any sport - in the absence of any other data coming from other folks that I can analyze and compare - consists entirely of wishful thinking and homerism.

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 07:09 AM
  #3
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I figured out long ago that my amateur scouting ability in any sport - in the absence of any other data coming from other folks that I can analyze and compare - consists entirely of wishful thinking and homerism.
Same here, Viqsi. At least in part, that's why I don't participate in the Prospect Poll.

pete goegan is online now  
Old
08-07-2012, 08:47 AM
  #4
LetsGOJackets!!
Registered User
 
LetsGOJackets!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 2,562
vCash: 500
None of us are scouts

Many don't get to see the kids play to much in Jr., so opinions are made during four days of camp after the draft, and youtube clips or other media.

With that said Pete does it even matter? Why not participate?

Thanks Sore Loser for the thread: good to have a knowlegeable poster thinking a head

LetsGOJackets!! is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 10:21 AM
  #5
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! View Post
With that said Pete does it even matter? Why not participate?
No, of course it doesn't matter, and I'm rarely reluctant to voice my opinion on most subjects, but I don't have enough knowledge about the prospects to even form an opinion. I certainly enjoy the discussion of prospect by those with knowledge of their potential. I also have no problem with those who express their opinion based on whatever criteria they choose - clips, camps, signs of the Zodiac, eye color, etc. - I just don't like to post on subjects about which I know nothing. I also don't usually do predictions. That's just me, though, everyone follows their own path. That's one of the things I enjoy, here.

pete goegan is online now  
Old
08-07-2012, 12:58 PM
  #6
Monk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Same here, Viqsi. At least in part, that's why I don't participate in the Prospect Poll.
I vote for the first 4 or 5, which tend to be a general consensus anyway, and then my knowledge runs out. Maybe I should just stop as well

Monk is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 01:03 PM
  #7
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky
 
CBJBrassard16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,099
vCash: 500
Can't go wrong with Mackinnon, Barkov, or Jones

CBJBrassard16 is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 01:16 PM
  #8
cslebn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 424
vCash: 500
As someone who doesn't get a chance to follow these tournaments due to time I love hearing opinions of those that do watch.

I'd be especially curious to hear how Darnell Nurse, Nick Ritchie, Bo Horvat and Kayle Doetzel do. And I'm solely basing that off their size. Ritchie's listed as 6'2" 218 lbs. That's a big 16 year old.

cslebn is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 01:36 PM
  #9
Sore Loser
HF Partner
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,110
vCash: 500
Love the honesty guys, you're making me blush

I've followed junior hockey very closely since my move to Spokane in 2003. Around about 2005, I started doing my own little notebooks on players and was picked up by TSR in 2009. Since then, my knowledge has expanded tenfold as it's given me more reason to follow guys from all around the world. I do the best I can on limited resources - the Spokane Chiefs have little idea who I even am (save a couple of people, which is how I want to keep it), so I don't get a press pass or anything. I do my scouting just by watching with my wife and two daughters.

It's a really enjoyable hobby more than anything, and I'm always happy to share my opinions.

Nathan MacKinnon is looking very good for Team Canada thus far, as expected. If he doesn't lead the team in scoring for the tournament I'll be somewhat surprised. Really, there are always nay-sayers when a guy stands out this much (Crosby vs. Brule, Tavares vs. Duchene, etc), but in most circumstances, even when the other players on that level do turn out very well, the player that stood out from the beginning always prevails. I truly believe Nathan MacKinnon, if he stays healthy, will be the #1 guy from wire to wire this year. Seth Jones, Sean Monahan, and Hunter Shinkaruk will all make pushes, but MacKinnon has some star quality to him that will ultimately make him too attractive to pass up at #1. If at all possible, we have to land this player at the draft.

Here's an article from TSN on him:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=402250

Quote:
In much the same way that Sidney Crosby reinforced his status as a No. 1 overall pick in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft, 16-year-old phenom Nathan MacKinnon has a chance to strengthen his own case as the top draft-eligible player next summer when the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament kicks off next week.

Sore Loser is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 02:19 PM
  #10
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,385
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Same here, Viqsi. At least in part, that's why I don't participate in the Prospect Poll.
I justify my time there by reading scouting reports. As many as I can find. I can't do scouting myself, but I can analyze and cross-check other people's scouting.

Viqsi is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 08:51 PM
  #11
candyman82
Registered User
 
candyman82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 2,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I justify my time there by reading scouting reports. As many as I can find. I can't do scouting myself, but I can analyze and cross-check other people's scouting.
I'm in that boat. I also try to watch highlights of players as well as highlights of other players that they are on the ice for, just so I can see them at their worst as well. It isn't much, but it's a chance to see bits and pieces

candyman82 is offline  
Old
08-08-2012, 05:57 PM
  #12
Sore Loser
HF Partner
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,110
vCash: 500
http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php...67/la_id/1.htm

The HC link to the Ivan Hlinka tournament. This lists the entire schedule for the tournament, including times.

Also worth noting, anyone interested in seeing Hunter Shinkaruk can actually catch him in the Summit Series (CHL players vs. Russian players); along with Ryan Murray. Some blurbs on the WHL guys competing for Canada:

http://www.whl.ca/article/whl-stars-...lls-for-canada

Sore Loser is offline  
Old
08-08-2012, 07:32 PM
  #13
ThisIsMyAlibi
Howson = Herminated
 
ThisIsMyAlibi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 535
vCash: 500
wahsnairb has been touting (the highly touted) Jones for months.

ThisIsMyAlibi is offline  
Old
08-08-2012, 07:38 PM
  #14
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMyAlibi View Post
wahsnairb has been touting (the highly touted) Jones for months.
while jones is definitely highly touted if the Jackets draft him, I'll be amazed and peed off. They need another D prospect like they need Steve Mason to sign a 5 year extension. Offense, offense, offense.

EspenK is offline  
Old
08-08-2012, 08:33 PM
  #15
Sore Loser
HF Partner
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMyAlibi View Post
wahsnairb has been touting (the highly touted) Jones for months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
while jones is definitely highly touted if the Jackets draft him, I'll be amazed and peed off. They need another D prospect like they need Steve Mason to sign a 5 year extension. Offense, offense, offense.
...I agree with Espen, though not to the same extent

If we wind up in the 4-6 range at the draft, as is a possibility, I certainly think that if he is on the board and some of the bigger name forwards are gone, Seth Jones might be a possibility. I'm really interested to see him compete in the WHL - he's going to be on a very talented team in Portland (though, admittedly, they're losing some major pieces). If he's going to maintain his top prospect status, he will have to be absolutely dominant and prove that he's not only able to play on that team, but capable of being a leader on that team (especially since this is already his 18 year old season).

There's no doubting the kid can play, but everyone thought the same thing about Nick Ebert heading into this year ... really, anything can happen, especially when a kid is coming into a new situation altogether.

With the top end offensive talent in this draft and three first round picks, even if we do wind up with Seth Jones with our first pick, the other two picks should net us high quality prospects. A guy like Curtis Lazar could shoot up the rankings, or if he holds true where he is, he'll be a guy that's definitely worth snagging up. He's already got a pro frame and competes extremely well in all three zones. He could be a smaller version of Ryan Kesler. If we wound up with a player like that in the mid/late first round, along with Seth Jones, I don't think anyone can be disappointed.

Sore Loser is offline  
Old
08-08-2012, 11:30 PM
  #16
Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,981
vCash: 500
You'll probably get MacKinnon. He's supposed to be the best player in the draft since Crosby.

Asher is offline  
Old
08-09-2012, 12:19 AM
  #17
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky
 
CBJBrassard16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
you'll probably get MacKinnon. He's supposed to be the best player in the draft since Crosby.
Oh really?

CBJBrassard16 is offline  
Old
08-09-2012, 12:25 AM
  #18
wahsnairb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,776
vCash: 500
As was previously mentioned, I wish more than anything we get Jones, but that may not be the smart pick the way our team is starting to heavily favor the back end.

If the draft was today, you take Mack with the #1 pick regardless of what you need and I don't see that changing; I also don't see us playing the worst hockey in the NHL next season.. unfortunately.

If we pick 2 today it is still Jones and then forwards with the other picks or package to get one we love.

wahsnairb is offline  
Old
08-09-2012, 12:26 AM
  #19
Sore Loser
HF Partner
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
You'll probably get MacKinnon. He's supposed to be the best player in the draft since Tavares.
Fixed. Don't want everyone here to get their hopes too high. Sid is a special player, Tavares is a more realistic comparison.

Sore Loser is offline  
Old
08-09-2012, 12:34 AM
  #20
Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,981
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Oh really?
No offense intended by that comment, but I do think CBus finishes last this year. It's worth it to get MacKinnon IMO. Franchise centers are almost impossible to get, especially ones this good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Fixed. Don't want everyone here to get their hopes too high. Sid is a special player, Tavares is a more realistic comparison.
Duly noted.

Asher is offline  
Old
08-09-2012, 05:59 AM
  #21
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
No offense intended by that comment, but I do think CBus finishes last this year. It's worth it to get MacKinnon IMO. Franchise centers are almost impossible to get, especially ones this good.
You just don't understand Jacket luck and Jacket fan mentality. Like fans of the hapless Cubs, Jacket fans believe every year is the year that potentials will be reached, injuries avoided, other teams will collapse, chemistry will appear and coaching and upper management will finally make great decisions (okay, maybe we don't think mgt is capable of that) and the playoffs beckon.

When reality sets in and the Jackets finish last or close, we just know that we'll hear Gary Bettman say "the winner if the 20xx draft lottery is .....The Edmonton Oilers"

Personally I'd love to get MacKinnon, even if it means finishing last again.


Last edited by EspenK: 08-09-2012 at 06:10 AM.
EspenK is offline  
Old
08-09-2012, 06:08 AM
  #22
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
...I agree with Espen, though not to the same extent

If we wind up in the 4-6 range at the draft, as is a possibility, I certainly think that if he is on the board and some of the bigger name forwards are gone, Seth Jones might be a possibility. I'm really interested to see him compete in the WHL - he's going to be on a very talented team in Portland (though, admittedly, they're losing some major pieces). If he's going to maintain his top prospect status, he will have to be absolutely dominant and prove that he's not only able to play on that team, but capable of being a leader on that team (especially since this is already his 18 year old season).

There's no doubting the kid can play, but everyone thought the same thing about Nick Ebert heading into this year ... really, anything can happen, especially when a kid is coming into a new situation altogether.

With the top end offensive talent in this draft and three first round picks, even if we do wind up with Seth Jones with our first pick, the other two picks should net us high quality prospects. A guy like Curtis Lazar could shoot up the rankings, or if he holds true where he is, he'll be a guy that's definitely worth snagging up. He's already got a pro frame and competes extremely well in all three zones. He could be a smaller version of Ryan Kesler. If we wound up with a player like that in the mid/late first round, along with Seth Jones, I don't think anyone can be disappointed.
Good response. If the Jones has the year everyone expects and he is available at 4-6 I guess taking him would be okay, but I'd still strongly consider trading down a spot or two if the deal was right.
I 'm not 100% sold on taking the BPA, especially when you are pretty deep at a position.

Possible slogan: "Jackets are Jonesing" to go along with "No winnin' for MacKinnon". Still working on a slogan for Shinkaruk - "With luck its Shinkaruk" ?

EspenK is offline  
Old
08-09-2012, 06:26 AM
  #23
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Good response. If the Jones has the year everyone expects and he is available at 4-6 I guess taking him would be okay, but I'd still strongly consider trading down a spot or two if the deal was right.
I 'm not 100% sold on taking the BPA, especially when you are pretty deep at a position.

Possible slogan: "Jackets are Jonesing" to go along with "No winnin' for MacKinnon". Still working on a slogan for Shinkaruk - "With luck its Shinkaruk" ?
"Suck for Shinkaruk"?

pete goegan is online now  
Old
08-09-2012, 06:43 AM
  #24
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
"Suck for Shinkaruk"?
That could work

EspenK is offline  
Old
08-09-2012, 06:55 AM
  #25
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
You just don't understand Jacket luck and Jacket fan mentality. Like fans of the hapless Cubs, Jacket fans believe every year is the year that potentials will be reached, injuries avoided, other teams will collapse, chemistry will appear and coaching and upper management will finally make great decisions (okay, maybe we don't think mgt is capable of that) and the playoffs beckon.
That's funny. I thought Jacket fan mentality was "We're going to suck and be terrible this year, probably finish last again, but, like always, lose the draft lottery and still not get our guy. Oh woe is me."

__________________
"Every game, every point is a necessity." -- Ty Conklin, January 2007
"I'll have a chance to compete for the post of first issue. This is the most important thing." -- Sergei Bobrovsky, June 2012
Double-Shift Lassť is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.