HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Around the NHL (Part XXXVIII): The "Sweet Revenge" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2012, 08:01 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
People saying the Devils suck are equally as ridiculous though. They always find ways to win.

But anyone who thinks Carter-Gionta-Bernier is going to play as well as they did in the playoffs is so delusional it's not even funny.
Yup, many have been predicting the demise of the devils for years now...and been sorely mistaken for the most part. But despite them proving us wrong over and over again...I do have to wonder if this is the beginning of the end. Can they really overcome the loss of Parise...and how much more can a 40 year old Brodeur really have left in the tank?

Old
08-01-2012, 08:02 PM
Ih8theislanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
People saying the Devils suck are equally as ridiculous though. They always find ways to win.

But anyone who thinks Carter-Gionta-Bernier is going to play as well as they did in the playoffs is so delusional it's not even funny.
They don't suck, they'll be a bubble team.

Old
08-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Edge

Players leave the Devils and people want to dismiss them.

But they keep developing players, keep coming back and keep staying competitive.

Doesn't matter if they lose Stevens, Parise, Brodeur (eventually), they do what they need to do.

They've shown they are willing to take the high picks for a year or two if it means being in a stronger position, faster.

That's what they do, they simply find a way.

Old
08-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post

But they keep developing players, keep coming back and keep staying competitive.

Doesn't matter if they lose Stevens, Parise, Brodeur (eventually), they do what they need to do.

They've shown they are willing to take the high picks for a year or two if it means being in a stronger position, faster.

Yeah, I'm pretty jealous. They're the model organization for success.

Old
08-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Zil

Quote:

They always continue to have decent teams, but this year was a complete aberration. Their whole team played way over their heads in the playoffs. Plus, they benefited greatly from getting to play the weak Panthers and defensively inept Flyers in the first two rounds.

Old
08-01-2012, 09:19 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
They always continue to have decent teams, but this year was a complete aberration. Their whole team played way over their heads in the playoffs. Plus, they benefited greatly from getting to play the weak Panthers and defensively inept Flyers in the first two rounds.
Thems the bounces. I think the Kings played the stretch of their franchise lives and it worked for them.

I've always subscribed to the belief that winners (teams, individuals, businesses, etc.) just find a way to win. It's not that they are necessarily the most talented, both through a variety of ways, they find a way to pull it off.

Old
08-01-2012, 10:06 PM
Zil

Quote:
Thems the bounces. I think the Kings played the stretch of their franchise lives and it worked for them.

I've always subscribed to the belief that winners (teams, individuals, businesses, etc.) just find a way to win. It's not that they are necessarily the most talented, both through a variety of ways, they find a way to pull it off.
Their is something to that, but you can't write off matchups.

Old
08-01-2012, 10:27 PM
PromNite
Cloud Strife

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
It will catch up with them eventually.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
Old
08-01-2012, 11:28 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
It will catch up with them eventually.
I hope so! Would be satisfying if they turn into the Islanders, but their upper management always build up contending rosters.

Old
08-01-2012, 11:55 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Detroit says hello.

08-02-2012, 12:00 AM
Affinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreiders Underwear View Post
Detroit says hello.
Well, both of them have had two top players of all time in their respective positions for the last 20 years so it will be interesting to see how the next couple years play out for both teams with Lidstrom retired and Brodeur probably retiring in two years.

I don't think either will turn out like the Isles or Oilers but I think both will be average.

Old
08-02-2012, 09:48 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Don't be too jealous, not anymore. the Rangers are clearly modeled after the NJ Devils success, it took a while but we see now the fruits.

If it hadn't been for Jagrs epic year in 2006 we would be even closer. Theybtweaked the plan when they ended up with Jagr looking like Jagr. Tried to catch the lightning. It was probably the right thing to do but set back the pure rebuild a bit...

Old
08-02-2012, 12:31 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Yup, many have been predicting the demise of the devils for years now...and been sorely mistaken for the most part. But despite them proving us wrong over and over again...I do have to wonder if this is the beginning of the end. Can they really overcome the loss of Parise...and how much more can a 40 year old Brodeur really have left in the tank?
Quote:

Depends on your definition of "demise".

They went from 3 cups and 16 playoff series wins in 9 years to 0 cups and 5 playoffs series wins in 9 years. And 3 of them are from this years miracle run.

They are not exactly a young team. They are going to need some of their kids to develop into serious players to fill some of the holes that are going to open up.

Old
08-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreiders Underwear View Post
Detroit says hello.
We'll see how Detroit does without Lidstrom. Devils have already been contenders while constantly losing their home grown talent (Neidermayer, Gomez, Gionta) and their best all-time player in Stevens.

Old
08-02-2012, 01:43 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
We'll see how Detroit does without Lidstrom. Devils have already been contenders while constantly losing their home grown talent (Neidermayer, Gomez, Gionta) and their best all-time player in Stevens.
Contenders? Not really.

As somebody said earlier in the thread, 5 playoff wins and 0 cups in 9 years. That's not really a contender.

Though the Devils always find ways to be pesky.

Old
08-02-2012, 03:07 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
Depends on your definition of "demise".

They went from 3 cups and 16 playoff series wins in 9 years to 0 cups and 5 playoffs series wins in 9 years. And 3 of them are from this years miracle run.

They are not exactly a young team. They are going to need some of their kids to develop into serious players to fill some of the holes that are going to open up.
True, but that's still a fairly successful team. A dynasty? No. But pretty successful.

Ideally, NJ is at a rebuilding point, which is going to be difficult with a contract and player like Kovalchuk.

Old
08-02-2012, 06:14 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Quote:
And Detroit didn't? Just off the top of my head: Yzerman, Federov, McCarty, Draper, Chelios, Shannahan.

Red Wings are a more historic, model franchise than NJ is. Not to say NJ isn't, but I think Detroit is the best model franchise in the league.

Old
08-02-2012, 06:57 PM
PromNite
Cloud Strife

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
That's another thing. There are several posts claiming that the Devils laid waste to the Rangers in the ECF. The term "torched" was used.

I watched every minute of every game, there was no torching. It was two good teams, and one prevailing a tightly contested series where the Rangers had almost no offense.

Old
08-02-2012, 07:02 PM
ncmike

Quote:

agree. hate the devils more than any team in all sports, but give credit to lamorello(spelling sorry). as long as he is there they will compete

Old
08-07-2012, 08:21 AM
NYR Viper

Andrej Mezsaros tore his Achilles while training. He is out indefinitely. Probably another Zajac-like time period. The Flyers were lacking on d as it was.

Old
08-07-2012, 08:37 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

New thread is up.