HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Team USA World Junior Championship Evaluation Camp Predictions

Old
08-06-2012, 11:08 PM
William H Bonney

vCash: 500
Underagers don't usually get invited to the summer camp. You'll probably see at least one get into the mix at the December camp.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:16 PM
bigbadbruins7

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Underagers don't usually get invited to the summer camp. You'll probably see at least one get into the mix at the December camp.
what chance does erne have at being invited to the camp in december? what other underagers have a shot

bigbadbruins7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:20 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
I don't know if this is the right thread to ask about this - but I was wondering what you guys thought about Taylor Cammarata. I know he didn't make NTDP...and doesn't seem to be discussed re: the WJC. Is he at the point where his size is becoming fatal...or is he still considered a top prospect?

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:40 PM
Marklar*

I'd say the locks are Galchenyuk, Noesen, Grimaldi, Miller, Jones, Trouba, Murphy, Gaudreau, Kerdiles. After that, anyone's guess

Marklar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 12:54 AM
BJD

fasthockey.com must be joking when they wanna charge 8 bucks for a junior camp evaluation game

BJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:11 AM
RA9

vCash: 883
As a flames fan im interested in seiloff and gillies chances at the team.

RA9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:26 AM
J Murda

vCash: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDizzlez View Post
fasthockey.com must be joking when they wanna charge 8 bucks for a junior camp evaluation game
No kidding, it's pretty ridic. All of Hockey Canada's events (RBC Cup, Telus Cup, camp scrimmages, etc) are shown for free on fasthockey and I was hoping USA would maybe do the same.

J Murda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 06:31 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
I don't know if this is the right thread to ask about this - but I was wondering what you guys thought about Taylor Cammarata. I know he didn't make NTDP...and doesn't seem to be discussed re: the WJC. Is he at the point where his size is becoming fatal...or is he still considered a top prospect?
Size could be an issue, IMO..But based on the scoring touch he put on display in the USHL (led Waterloo in scoring with well over a PPG), it appears he can play with the big boys...... Does anyone know if he was turned down for the NTDP or did he decide not to go? I've heard both from different sources.

Many are already probably aware, but it's interesting note that during the two seasons he played with Shattuck, he led them in scoring also...second on the team was Nathan Mackinnon.

Last edited by MuckOG: 08-07-2012 at 09:32 AM.
MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 07:14 AM
Huffman

Schmaltz and Samuelsson were cut among others:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=10883

Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 08:20 AM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry2perry View Post
Schmaltz and Samuelsson were cut among others:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=10883
The most surprising thing to me is that they didn't cut more players. Some of the guys they kept didn't look all that great to me in games I've watched. Clearly they're going to be cycling a lot of different players in and out over the next few games.

cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:10 AM
William H Bonney

No surprises on the cuts for me. I kind of like keeping more players around. Results don't matter in these games - it's time to evaluate players.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Exit Dose

Is there a good place to find recaps for these games? I'd like to have something more than a box score to go on.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:36 AM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Is there a good place to find recaps for these games? I'd like to have something more than a box score to go on.
Chris Peters has some recaps of the games he's watched up on his blog...

http://www.unitedstatesofhockey.com/

cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:39 AM
Exit Dose

I should have checked there before asking. Thanks.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:45 AM
nanzenkills

I haven't been around in a while and haven't been able to look at other threads in this forum, but is it now confirmed that galchenyuk and matteau are iihf eligible to play for the US? Last I had heard, matteau was not and galchenyuk was questionable.

nanzenkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:11 AM
TinordiandSubban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I can see your roster panning out. Alot of goonery in that bottom six though......
There's a lot of goons to choose from!

Can only backfire in international play, but then again if you've got big agitators like Matteau, Samuelsson, Biggs, Trocheck etc on the team might as well work with it and play to your strengths.

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:17 AM
TinordiandSubban

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeissFC View Post
I see you're putting a lot of stock in this WJEC camp. Lucia (Notre Dame), Samuelsson (Edmonton), Kerdiles (Wisconsin), Kuraly (Miami), and Matteau (Boisbrand) are all going to have to get off to a good start for this to happen. With the exception of Samuelsson, all of these guys are making the jump up to the NCAA/QMJHL from the USHL/BCHL. That's tough. We'll see though.
All are having a great camp (except for Samuelsson but he will likely have the strongest start to his junior season out of all those players you mention) and all should get good ice time as freshmen/rookies.

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:19 AM
WeissFC
@WeissFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanzenkills View Post
I haven't been around in a while and haven't been able to look at other threads in this forum, but is it now confirmed that galchenyuk and matteau are iihf eligible to play for the US? Last I had heard, matteau was not and galchenyuk was questionable.
Both are fully eligible to represent the US now.

WeissFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:20 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle West View Post
There's a lot of goons to choose from!

Can only backfire in international play, but then again if you've got big agitators like Matteau, Samuelsson, Biggs, Trocheck etc on the team might as well work with it and play to your strengths.
I have to assume Samuelsson's skating is holding him back a bit here. Guyslike Matteau and Biggs can play the same rol but skate better-which will probably be a hallmark of this team (skating ability).

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:22 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

IMO, this camp has reinforced the need for Galchenyuk to spend another year in Sarnia.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:26 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
IMO, this camp has reinforced the need for Galchenyuk to spend another year in Sarnia.
Agreed.

He is talented, competitive and beyond driven to succeed. That doesn't change he only played one play-off series last season.

The lock-out shortened season (strong speculation) will be good because it will take the media backlash out of the decision. Montreal media is too stupid to see long term.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:39 AM
KlattNazty

sounds like Biggs has had a pretty good camp. not amazing, but he is doing his job. I think for him moving forward it will be learning to cut out some finesse moves and continue to adapt to the power forward mold, cycling pucks and protecting them while crashing the net.

compared to how he looked when i first saw him, he looks like hes embracing that more and more

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:47 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
sounds like Biggs has had a pretty good camp. not amazing, but he is doing his job. I think for him moving forward it will be learning to cut out some finesse moves and continue to adapt to the power forward mold, cycling pucks and protecting them while crashing the net.

compared to how he looked when i first saw him, he looks like hes embracing that more and more
It starts to click with players (if they want to succeed) what they have to do to play at the next level, and I think that's what Biggs has done. He has some very good tools (size, skating, shot) but lacks the hands a creativity to be a big scorer. Try to be a Bill Guerin lite and things will go well. I think he ends up making this team-and not just in a bottom six capacity. He's the kind of guy who can slide up into the top six to take the heat off what will be smaller offensive guys (like a Gaudreau).

Old
08-07-2012, 10:49 AM
KlattNazty

Quote:
It starts to click with players (if they want to succeed) what they have to do to play at the next level, and I think that's what Biggs has done. He has some very good tools (size, skating, shot) but lacks the hands a creativity to be a big scorer. Try to be a Bill Guerin lite and things will go well. I think he ends up making this team-and not just in a bottom six capacity. He's the kind of guy who can slide up into the top six to take the heat off what will be smaller offensive guys (like a Gaudreau).
absolutely. i think you are bang on when you say they learn to adapt. biggs isnt stupid, he lacks those tools precisely like you said to be a true offensive threat all the time. i like that he can play with finesse at times, and thats a key part of what will let him be a complimentary offensive player, but he is learning like you said to do more of the dirty work.

bill guerin light makes sense, that or something like mike knuble. key for him is that he is a complimentary offensive player, he can help the true offensive guys bring it out.

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 12:35 PM
BJD

so what players weren't at camp that have a good shot at being on the team? grimaldi comes to mind. anyone else?

BJD is offline   Reply With Quote