HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Off Season Thread - Part dreiundzwanzig: Boring Summer edition

Closed Thread

Old
08-07-2012, 08:08 AM
sEmowashere
[|=(86)=|]

vCash: 500
I bet you don't lol. We might want to but we all will be watching from game one.

Old
08-07-2012, 08:26 AM
Shady Machine

Strait and Bort will be fine with bottom pairing minutes. I'm not really sure what you are all worried about.

Old
08-07-2012, 08:27 AM
gordie
Journeyman Despres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
With the way Fleury played in the playoffs and starting with 3 rookies, I might skip the first couple of games of the year
That's the thing it is Fleury + Playoffs that is the problem. With a real starting goalie like Vokoun pushing him for his job, I expect Fleury to have a big year. As for defense, I have no problem with the Michalek salary dump, if they really believe and are willing to give Despres & Bortuzzo a legitimate chance to prove themselves as ready to go NHL'ers as they've been touting them as. The problems with this team is the same as last year, too many stale interchangeable parts like Kunitz, Kennedy, Adams, Dupuis, Cooke and Vitale. In this area all they have is Tangradi and Bennett as possible replacements, just not good enough to see this team being any better and more than likely worse.

Old
08-07-2012, 08:28 AM
stefanh

the flyers just lost Meszaros to a torn achilles tendon surgery. Their D just took a big hit and I wonder if they go the trade route to solve it.

Old
08-07-2012, 08:38 AM
cassius

Yep that is absolutely big news guys....

It's going to be amazing going up against that weak Philly defense

Old
08-07-2012, 08:41 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Not sure how some can be so comfortable going with either Strait, Lovejoy or Bortuzzo playing full time. Martin had a terrible year, and then the injury rumors came out, let's give the guy a chance before moving him for what, cap space?
Which is why I just said -- in the post you quoted -- that we should make sure we can comfortably fill the positions before he ever gets traded. I guess I didn't explicitly state it but I also would wait to see that Strait or Bortuzzo are able to take that number 6 spot though there is very little reason to think one of the two can't handle it. If not, you can still trade Martin for a forward and use picks or depth prospects to get a bottom pairing vet d-man. They are available every year.

And no, we wouldn't trade Martin for cap space. We'd trade him because he is the most valuable trade piece we have that we can replace internally.

Old
08-07-2012, 08:43 AM
Bennett Brauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
That's the thing it is Fleury + Playoffs that is the problem. With a real starting goalie like Vokoun pushing him for his job, I expect Fleury to have a big year. As for defense, I have no problem with the Michalek salary dump, if they really believe and are willing to give Despres & Bortuzzo a legitimate chance to prove themselves as ready to go NHL'ers as they've been touting them as. The problems with this team is the same as last year, too many stale interchangeable parts like Kunitz, Kennedy, Adams, Dupuis, Cooke and Vitale. In this area all they have is Tangradi and Bennett as possible replacements, just not good enough to see this team being any better and more than likely worse.
I agree with you about Fleury, but I have to disagree about your "interchangeable parts" argument. Those players you named are not the same type of player, each one has a different role, they're role players, not just roster spot fillers. Kunitz is a good top 6 winger, Dupuis is a versatile forward that can play on any line at any position an succeed, Cooke, Adams and Vitale are solid bottom 6 forwards who are physical and kill penalties, added Tanner Glass to that group, and Kennedy, even though people don't want him on the Pens, he's not a bad player, he's a fast and tenacious forward, he hustles and works hard for this team.

As for Tangradi and Bennett being replacements, what do you mean? Injury replacements or future replacements?

Old
08-07-2012, 08:50 AM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanh View Post
the flyers just lost Meszaros to a torn achilles tendon surgery. Their D just took a big hit and I wonder if they go the trade route to solve it.
I will be looking forward to Flyers fans not claiming his constantly injured ass to be super duper valuable in every thread ever on the trade board.

Old
08-07-2012, 08:51 AM
Milliardo

Yeah, Paul Martin will NOT be traded for capspace (unless with the new CBA the cap drastically drops) because we have plenty. And if no teams makes us a good offer we just keep him. He's not a bad player, he just wasn't a 5 million dollar defensman.

And now with Michalek gone, a team would probably have to overpay to pry him away from the Pens right now. If he's traded at all, it will be at the earliest by midseason unless we get a solid replacement in return. Next offseason with some more of the young guys knocking on the door, Shero might be more willing to to trade him.

Old
08-07-2012, 08:53 AM
Shady Machine

Hey maybe Philly wants Martin now. We can trade him for Voracek haha.

Old
08-07-2012, 08:56 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Hey maybe Philly wants Martin now. We can trade him for Voracek haha.
Yeah why not, after all, Martin IS your typical broad bully.

Old
08-07-2012, 08:57 AM
Kovifan27

Quote:
I had no clue. Just read it on the Flyers board. That is def going to hurt them this season.

They better hope Luke Schenn was a good trade and he is ready to bloom. If that D isn't solid Bryz isn't solid.

I am interested to see how Nisky plays as his minutes go up and stay up through the season.

Old
08-07-2012, 09:04 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Which is why I just said -- in the post you quoted -- that we should make sure we can comfortably fill the positions before he ever gets traded. I guess I didn't explicitly state it but I also would wait to see that Strait or Bortuzzo are able to take that number 6 spot though there is very little reason to think one of the two can't handle it. If not, you can still trade Martin for a forward and use picks or depth prospects to get a bottom pairing vet d-man. They are available every year.

And no, we wouldn't trade Martin for cap space. We'd trade him because he is the most valuable trade piece we have that we can replace internally
I just get the impression people just don't want him round anymore and are ready to dump him for pretty much picks

Old
08-07-2012, 09:05 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Watch them offer sheet Subban

Old
08-07-2012, 09:18 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Strait and Bort will be fine with bottom pairing minutes. I'm not really sure what you are all worried about.
I agree. I think on the 3rd pairing, both would be completely fine.

I'd personally roll...

Martin-Letang
Orpik-Niskanen
Strait-Bortuzzo
Engelland

I don't find it the necessity for Despres to make this team that some do. I think he can improve even more in the AHL, and if he takes a spot, great, but I wouldn't pencil him in.

Old
08-07-2012, 09:19 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post

I'd personally roll...

Martin-Letang
Orpik-Niskanen
Strait-Bortuzzo
Engelland
Maybe it's just me, but i'd prefer Engelland over both Strait and Bortuzzo

Old
08-07-2012, 09:22 AM
Von Malkin*

Quote:
Watch them offer sheet Subban
Wouldn't you want pk for some draft picks? Im pretty sure he would cost more than Kennedy or a combo of Kennedy and other spare parts. I think it'd be a brilliant move for Holmgren. He offer sheeted weber and no team offer sheeted voracek. So it didn't really bite him in the butt

Old
08-07-2012, 09:24 AM
JTG

Quote:
Maybe it's just me, but i'd prefer Engelland over both Strait and Bortuzzo
And Engo might be a better option. I'd let them battle it out. If he is clearly the better one, that's fine. Then switch Bortuzzo and Strait in every other game or so, until one clearly supplants the other.

Old
08-07-2012, 09:35 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Lounge Hero

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post

I'd personally roll...

Martin-Letang
Orpik-Niskanen
Strait-Bortuzzo
Engelland

I don't find it the necessity for Despres to make this team that some do. I think he can improve even more in the AHL, and if he takes a spot, great, but I wouldn't pencil him in.
There should never be a pre-season lineup that has Engo out from the 6 standard defenders. He's better than Strait and Bort right now. He had one of the more consistent seasons of any of the defense last year.

Old
08-07-2012, 09:45 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
There should never be a pre-season lineup that has Engo out from the 6 standard defenders. He's better than Strait and Bort right now. He had one of the more consistent seasons of any of the defense last year.
In pre-season sure. But if we're adding a Murray type and Despres/Bortuzzo are looking like studs, he may become a decent trade chip later in the season.

Old
08-07-2012, 09:48 AM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
They already have 7 NHL D under contract (not counting rookies), and why would we trade for a 3rd pairing guy when we have a ton of rookies who need icetime? Also if we're trading with Colorado I'd really really want to see Hejda coming back - even if we had to add more to get it.

But they might have a use for another PMD (I see 4 defensive types there). I'd love to trade them Niskanen (+ if needed) for Hejda. Carry 8 D, dress 7 per night until you figure out who you want to keep.

Letang - Orpik
Martin - Hejda (shutdown tandom)
Despres - Engelland
Strait - Bortuzzo
I would not call Shane O'Brien a bottom pairing defenceman look at his stats last year with Colorado it's quite impressive for a shutdown defenceman I don't want Bortuzzo or Strait as a bottom pairing defenceman in the NHL yet, I figured this was a good trade for both sides. Colorado gets a top pairing defenceman and a top-9 forward which are needs for Colorado, Pittsburgh gets a forward who can play with Crosby and a shutdown defenceman. It also saves us about $3,500,000 in cap space so we can offer Shane Doan more money to come to Pittsburgh.

Our top 6 could look like this:
Jamie McGinn / Sidney Crosby / Shane Doan
Chris Kunitz / Evgeni Malkin / James Neal

Old
08-07-2012, 09:49 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
In pre-season sure. But if we're adding a Murray type and Despres/Bortuzzo are looking like studs, he may become a decent trade chip later in the season.
Why would we trade Engelland to make room for a Murray type?

Old
08-07-2012, 09:50 AM

The Flyers going after Yandle makes sense and they have the assets to get him.

Just to throw it out there... what do you guys think about getting Gonch back? The Pens have the cap room and he can still be a good #4-5 defenseman that gets a lot of PP duty. Then when he retires keep him on that bench. Not only do I think he has a great hockey mind but he seems like a 1st class person too.

Old
08-07-2012, 09:50 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
I would not call Shane O'Brien a bottom pairing defenceman look at his stats last year with Colorado it's quite impressive for a shutdown defenceman I don't want Bortuzzo or Strait as a bottom pairing defenceman in the NHL yet, I figured this was a good trade for both sides. Colorado gets a top pairing defenceman and a top-9 forward which are needs for Colorado, Pittsburgh gets a forward who can play with Crosby and a shutdown defenceman. It also saves us about $3,500,000 in cap space so we can offer Shane Doan more money to come to Pittsburgh.

Our top 6 could look like this:
Jamie McGinn / Sidney Crosby / Shane Doan
Chris Kunitz / Evgeni Malkin / James Neal
when would you suggest? They are either playing in the NHL or sitting in the press box this year. They are as ready as they will ever be.

Old
08-07-2012, 09:58 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Lounge Hero

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
The Flyers going after Yandle makes sense and they have the assets to get him.

Just to throw it out there... what do you guys think about getting Gonch back? The Pens have the cap room and he can still be a good #4-5 defenseman that gets a lot of PP duty. Then when he retires keep him on that bench. Not only do I think he has a great hockey mind but he seems like a 1st class person too.
Not against this ONE bit. He would be great on our powerplay and we can limit his time. More of a deadline deal if Ottawa struggles.

Closed Thread