HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dirty Dozen

Old
08-06-2012, 05:36 AM
WarriorofTime

vCash: 500
Dirty Dozen

The way I see it, the Hawks have 12 legit skating prospects.

Center:
Teuvo Teravainen- 18 (1st round-18th pick 2012)
Mark McNeill- 19 (1st round- 18th pick 2011)
Brandon Pirri- 21 (2nd round- 59th pick 2009)

Left Wing:
Brandon Saad- 19 (2nd round- 43rd pick 2011)
Jeremy Morin- 21 (2nd round-45th pick 2009)
Kyle Beach- 22 (1st round- 11th pick 2008)

Right Wing:
Phillip Danault- 19 (1st round- 26th pick 2011)
Kevin Hayes- 20 (1st round- 24th pick 2010)
Jimmy Hayes- 22 (2nd round- 60th pick 2008)

Defense:
Dylan Olsen- 21 (1st round- 28th pick 2009)
Adam Clendening- 19 (2nd round- 36th pick 2011)
Stephen Johns- 20 (2nd round- 60th pick 2010)

Depending on how these 12 pan out and how well they are managed will likely determine the Hawks future. Which do you see the Hawks trading and for what possible return? They need a few of these to fill solid supporting roles behind the already existing core in the next few seasons.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 05:45 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

If only 3 of them reach their full potential, we are in good shape for years to come and be a contender year in year out

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 07:38 AM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
If only 3 of them reach their full potential, we are in good shape for years to come and be a contender year in year out
As a rule, I don't like relying on individual prospects. I really like the quantity of the (projected) quality in the Hawks' system. I agree with the thought that if 3 hit there potential the Hawks are in great shape. I'm more concerned that most of them will be able to effectively contribute as 5-13 forwards and 5-7 dmen. I think the odds are increasingly favorable.

Quote:
Depending on how these 12 pan out and how well they are managed will likely determine the Hawks future. Which do you see the Hawks trading and for what possible return?
Even though there is the risk of seeing a decline in a couple of the core players' skill set the couple years I would rather Bowman stick to the plan of developing the internal help rather than overpaying (trade or FA signing) for marginal improvement until we have a little better idea of where all these kids project to.

Still too early for me to have a decent opinion of what they can bring back in a trade. I imagine that they'll fill a number of roles/holes for the big team but it's too tough to say which ones. Until we can see what they're likely to help out the big club with a little more specifically, I don't see much point in trading all but a couple of them. Almost all of them have more value to Chicago than another franchise right now in my opinion.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 12:50 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

with Toews, Kane & Sharp on the roster + possible other pickups (or Hossa), we don't need them to be our Top guys

same in the D with Keith & Leddy

Old
08-06-2012, 12:58 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Our developmental depth is one of the reason why I tend to ignore the naysayers that are prognosticating our impending doom and need to enter rebuild mode that pop up on this board. Got very high hopes for several of our guys on that list. Not saying we should expect a new Toews or Kane or Seabrook or Keith to come out of the woodwork from that list of guys, but looking at what they could potentially bring to the team in 1-3 years as depth players or near top-line guys is very exciting for me.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 01:52 PM
feichter

Reinforces the point that we need a G prospect to pan out here, soon...that said, a good list that brings alot of versatility to the lineup of the future. IMO, Mcneill, Morin and Beach are the ones my eyes are on very closely this year.

feichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 02:06 PM
MurrayBannerman
Fishbulb

Quote:
with Toews, Kane & Sharp on the roster + possible other pickups (or Hossa), we don't need them to be our Top guys

same in the D with Keith & Leddy
And Seabrook...?

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 04:11 PM
massivegoonery

Stephen Johns isn't much of anything, shouldn't be on this list (or the last one, for that matter).

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 06:34 PM
tomcat24

Like others have said, with the top 4 or Toews, Kane, Sharp, and Hossa around for awhile, we need these guys to become the great secondary players we had in Buff, Ladd, and Versteeg. I see a few capable of that. Plus add Bolland and an improving Shaw to the mix, we can still be very dangerous. All we need is a really solid and gritty 2nd line center. I would actually add Ben Smith to the list. This year was a write-off with the injuries

tomcat24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 06:51 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
Stephen Johns isn't much of anything, shouldn't be on this list (or the last one, for that matter).
Care to elaborate? No... never mind.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 08:56 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
Not every prospect will pan out and there are always going to be personal preferences. Personally, I'm not high on Kevin Hayes but he still makes the list. Johns is a top 10 prospect according to this website hockeysfuture, made the US Junior team last year, etc. Even if you don't think much of him he definitely makes this list as a physical defensive defenseman prospect.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 09:32 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Johns really isn't a dynamite prospect. He does play a style of game that this team sorely misses, and he's really the only prospect in our base that does. That's why there's a serious ***** for him.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 12:46 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
And Seabrook...?
yeah, bad typo... not sure what I thought. Wanted to say Seabrook all the way instead of Leddy

Old
08-07-2012, 01:57 AM
Sarava

Quote:
If only 3 fulfill their promise, then Stan will have drafted worse than Dale did.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 02:43 AM
thomast

Teräväinen beasted out against USA team blue at lake placid. He was most dangerous player out there. Created chances in every shift and made ridiculous passes. Has very nice skating and hands. At this point he seems to be homerun pick and has superstar potential if he pans out. I like him more than Mikael Granlund. Wouldn't be suprised if he's top 3-5 prospect in the NHL by end of the year. Nice effort in D aswell. There is alot of scouts praising him at Twitter right now. I would compare his playing style to Giroux. Teräväinen was better than Galchenyuk by fair margin.

thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 03:25 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
If only 3 fulfill their promise, then Stan will have drafted worse than Dale did.
Took the words out of my mouth. Also if 3 wingers are the ones who pan out then the Hawks are in no better shape because they still would have C and D issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Teräväinen beasted out against USA team blue at lake placid. He was most dangerous player out there. Created chances in every shift and made ridiculous passes. Has very nice skating and hands. At this point he seems to be homerun pick and has superstar potential if he pans out. I like him more than Mikael Granlund. Wouldn't be suprised if he's top 3-5 prospect in the NHL by end of the year. Nice effort in D aswell. There is alot of scouts praising him at Twitter right now. I would compare his playing style to Giroux. Teräväinen was better than Galchenyuk by fair margin.
Let's settle down, one game means nothing, everyone knows he has talent, can he fill out some and can that talent play at an NHL level, neither of those has happened so let's not start the Giroux comparisons yet.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 03:39 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Took the words out of my mouth. Also if 3 wingers are the ones who pan out then the Hawks are in no better shape because they still would have C and D issues.

Let's settle down, one game means nothing, everyone knows he has talent, can he fill out some and can that talent play at an NHL level, neither of those has happened so let's not start the Giroux comparisons yet.
I compared their playing style not the upside... It's not 1 game sample, he have been excellent at the FEL playoffs, U18 WC, developement camp and now at the U20 tournament so far. The good thing is that he have been better everytime. Teräväinen looks better than he was at FEL playoffs and U18 WC. So his developement is still skyrocketing like it was last year. If he can keep this pace he'll be top 5 NHL prospect like Granlund was.

thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 05:10 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
3 out of 12

not 3 out of 40. That's Tallon

see the difference? 3 of them + Shaw would be 4 and still better drafting than Tallon

Old
08-07-2012, 09:38 AM
Sarava

Quote:
3 out of 12

not 3 out of 40. That's Tallon

see the difference? 3 of them + Shaw would be 4 and still better drafting than Tallon
All of those guys were first or 2nd round picks. Tallon didn't have 40 first or second round picks.

Old
08-07-2012, 09:46 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 50
Right, Stan has drafted a decades worth of 1sts and 2nds the last few years.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:04 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Right, Stan has drafted a decades worth of 1sts and 2nds the last few years.
As nice as his picks in the early rounds have been, what keeps me thinking Stan is a good drafter is his later round picks, many of whom seem to consistently show a lot of promise. I'm talking about Shaw, Mattson, Broadhurst, Shalunov, Whitney, and even Mattsson and Carruth.

Obviously promise isn't NHL success, but it's way better than nothing.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:14 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 50
I'm not complaining about the drafting, it's the one thing that has been good. If he only had one pick per round, the prospect pool would be middle of the pack though, that's all I'm saying. We gave up a ton of NHL talent for those picks. They better produce signifcant results but so far, it looks good. Yes, the later picks are intriguing.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:12 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I'm not complaining about the drafting, it's the one thing that has been good. If he only had one pick per round, the prospect pool would be middle of the pack though, that's all I'm saying. We gave up a ton of NHL talent for those picks. They better produce signifcant results but so far, it looks good. Yes, the later picks are intriguing.
That's probably true, but it seems a lot like the people who say "if we hadn't won the Cup, everyone would hate Tallon." It's just not the way things worked out, this way was better.

But yeah, Stan absolutely does need a bunch of these picks to work out, otherwise he's got pretty much zero positives from his tenure.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:23 AM
unbridledid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
That's probably true, but it seems a lot like the people who say "if we hadn't won the Cup, everyone would hate Tallon." It's just not the way things worked out, this way was better.

But yeah, Stan absolutely does need a bunch of these picks to work out, otherwise he's got pretty much zero positives from his tenure.
Fair enough...on paper his picks look good. Highest he has drafted is 18... It is the other picks that we can agree that matter just as much.

Tallon hasn't has much success with his 2nd rounders and below... I believe he drafted Bolland and Bickell...that was 04... He was demoted in July of 09 so I give him the 09 drafting of Pirri.. Hjammer and Kruger look good..But it looks grim besides those ..

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/draft...ocation=/draft

unbridledid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:26 AM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbridledid View Post
Fair enough...on paper his picks look good. Highest he has drafted is 18... It is the other picks that we can agree that matter just as much.

Tallon hasn't has much success with his 2nd rounders and below... I believe he drafted Bolland and Bickell...that was 04... He was demoted in July of 09 so I give him the 09 drafting of Pirri.. But it looks grim besides those..

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/draft...ocation=/draft
A couple of Tallon's drafts turned out to be really bad drafts overall. Especially 2007. Of course, that may turn out to be the case for some of Stan's draft classes too....time will tell.

But in the end...it's the same scouts drafting for both of these guys. GM's are best judged on their signings (both free agent and internal) and trades.