HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

HF Beer Thread

Old
08-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
That's a beer I've always wanted to try and several times I've had one in my hand, but then I keep looking at the other beers and always end up putting it back down for something else.
It's a good drinking beer. Not as bitter as other European macros like Heineken.

Also I ended up getting the job at the liquor store! I've been recommending Alley Kat for anyone who asked for "something new". The Amber especially, which is fantastic.

Gentle Jake Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 12:44 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post
It's a good drinking beer. Not as bitter as other European macros like Heineken.

Also I ended up getting the job at the liquor store! I've been recommending Alley Kat for anyone who asked for "something new". The Amber especially, which is fantastic.
Awesome, hope you are liking it there.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:28 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
I feel like such a beer idiot wandering into this thread. How can I learn more about it?

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:38 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
I feel like such a beer idiot wandering into this thread. How can I learn more about it?
No need to feel like an idiot, feel free to ask any questions. I honestly really only got into beer about a year and a half ago. The rest is history. Best way to get into it is to just go and buy something you've never bought before. Honestly I don't know the last time that I bought a beer that I've already bought before.

A great group to attend to learn more about beer is the Edonton Beer Geeks anonymous group. The put together a meeting once a month and it's literally just to talk and drink all things beer. Also a liquor store on the west end called liquor select puts on really good beer tastings for $10 and then you recieve $5 off your puchase that night. Their next one is on Aug 11 and the theme is Cannery brewing. So you would get to sample 10 different beers from that brewery.

Old
08-03-2012, 01:53 PM
cheesed-off*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
The fastest way is to dedicate yourself to becoming a raging alcoholic, like everyone else on this thread.

cheesed-off* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesed-off View Post
The fastest way is to dedicate yourself to becoming a raging alcoholic, like everyone else on this thread.
Emphasis on the raging...because if not, it's just depressing.

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 03:30 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Thanks for the advice. I've always just picked stuff I've already had. Only time I've tried something new is if there's a special or if they don't have anything I like

I'll check out that sampling event

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 04:07 PM
MinnesotaFats

vCash: 50
Just picked up 2 cases of Spearhead Hawaiian Style IPA. I've only had it on cask at a gastro pub here in Ottawa because the brewer is Toronto based and very small so it's usually only carried in Toronto area LCBOs. If you get get your hands on it, it's highly recommended.

MinnesotaFats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 08:59 AM
cfrancis

vCash: 4880
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Quote:
Don't worry about being over your limit, the amount you get charged if they make you pay isn't a whole lot. I brought back a texas mickey of JD that I bought in the states for $70 and when I claimed it they made me go and pay I declared the value of $70 and they charge based on that price and it ended up costing me another $15. So $85 bucks for 3L is a pretty solid deal.

Also this is what I'm thinking of sending back, let me know if you ahve any issues with the following or something that you really want:

-Alley Kat Saisson
-Alley Kat ESB
-Cannery Blackberry Porter and/or Wildfire IPA
-Wildrose(one of foothilz pilz or their belgian dubble)
-Sherbrooke Beer God series(brewed at paddock wood) - currently they have 3 beers, a baltic porter, belgian triple, Hibiscous Belgian Ale
-Yellowhead Premium Lager
Don't know if you've sent already or not. I'd rather the Wildfire IPA than the Blackberry Porter. The LCBO picked up the Blackberry a year ago and I got to try it.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:06 AM
cfrancis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
Just picked up 2 cases of Spearhead Hawaiian Style IPA. I've only had it on cask at a gastro pub here in Ottawa because the brewer is Toronto based and very small so it's usually only carried in Toronto area LCBOs. If you get get your hands on it, it's highly recommended.

You will truly understand the pineapple taste drinking that beer. It's alright, I didn't get into it that much.

Where in Ottawa are you? I'm in Beacon Hill, (almost Orleans)

Old
08-07-2012, 09:42 AM
Hoogaar23

I REALLY hope someone can help me out - can someone tell me if they still have any Westvleteren cases left out there? If so, do you know how much they are? I would VERY much appreciate it.

If so, I'll get some friends to pick some up for me. Oh - and which store has it. Thanks in advance!

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:25 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
I REALLY hope someone can help me out - can someone tell me if they still have any Westvleteren cases left out there? If so, do you know how much they are? I would VERY much appreciate it.

If so, I'll get some friends to pick some up for me. Oh - and which store has it. Thanks in advance!
Yes I was just at Sherbrooke last night and they have a bunch. They are sellignt eh remaining cases for $80 a peice.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:29 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
Don't know if you've sent already or not. I'd rather the Wildfire IPA than the Blackberry Porter. The LCBO picked up the Blackberry a year ago and I got to try it.
Oh crap man. I was honestly going to go with the Wildfire IPA but sherbrooke was sold out of it so I grabbed the blackberry porter instead, damn too bad. I also grabbed their nut brown as well, hope you haven't tried that one. The selection I got for you due to what was available on the shelf is a bit different than what I posted.

Maybe I should just stick to AB beers next time because then I know you won't have them out there. Oh well there are plenty other ones to send you if we do this again. Also I was disappointed I wanted to get you something by Phillips but all that Sherbrooke had on the shelf last night for Phillips was their Raspberry wheat ale. It's not too bad but it's far from their best offering.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:37 AM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Yes I was just at Sherbrooke last night and they have a bunch. They are sellignt eh remaining cases for $80 a peice.
Are you able to buy more than one case at a time? I'd like 2

Also, what is the approximate cost to ship a 6 pack across the country?

Old
08-07-2012, 10:52 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Are you able to buy more than one case at a time? I'd like 2

Also, what is the approximate cost to ship a 6 pack across the country?
No Sherbrooke limits one per customer. But I'm sure a person could go in one day and buy one and then hit thme up again a different day and go through a different cashier.

I don't know for sure but probably 20ish bucks.

Old
08-07-2012, 11:29 AM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
No Sherbrooke limits one per customer. But I'm sure a person could go in one day and buy one and then hit thme up again a different day and go through a different cashier.

I don't know for sure but probably 20ish bucks.
Cool. Thanks. Now if I can just get a couple of people to go in

Question about shipping (specifically packaging) beer - how do you guys do it, and have you had good success?

Old
08-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:

Question about shipping (specifically packaging) beer - how do you guys do it, and have you had good success?
The shipping is also made tough for this one since it comes with 2 glasses. I'm coming out to the east coast in the fall but wouldn't even feel safe putting it in my luggage.

Old
08-07-2012, 03:42 PM
cfrancis

Quote:
Oh crap man. I was honestly going to go with the Wildfire IPA but sherbrooke was sold out of it so I grabbed the blackberry porter instead, damn too bad. I also grabbed their nut brown as well, hope you haven't tried that one. The selection I got for you due to what was available on the shelf is a bit different than what I posted.

Maybe I should just stick to AB beers next time because then I know you won't have them out there. Oh well there are plenty other ones to send you if we do this again. Also I was disappointed I wanted to get you something by Phillips but all that Sherbrooke had on the shelf last night for Phillips was their Raspberry wheat ale. It's not too bad but it's far from their best offering.
Don't worry about it. I'm just stoked about getting some west coast stuff. It's not like the blackberry porter was bad.

Old
08-07-2012, 03:50 PM
cfrancis

Quote:

Shipping domestically, I've never had a problem. I've done it about 15 times. Just pack it well. If you pack it, shake it and hear a *clink*, you didn't pack it well enough.

I would not take a six pack, put it in a box and send. You need to take each bottle separately and wrap it in some bubble wrap and place it in the box. Put in some extra newspaper to fill in the voids.

If you hear sloshing of liquids when you shake it. A cool little trick is to put in some rice or uncooked pasta. That way if you get a super anal canada post guy, it will keep him questioning. But I highly doubt you will have to go this far.

International shipping. Don't bother, US customs is a PITA. They x-ray everything now coming in. As soon as they see liquid, they open it up and it's over. Box gets returned back to you.

Old
08-07-2012, 04:02 PM
40oz

Was in Ottawa last night and tried a few bottles of Tread and Lug Lagered Ale.
Would definitely recommend.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Due to a very recent beer exchange I recently just tried one of these babies. I thought it was a very interesting beer. I thought it was a very Pilsnerish but cleaner. I say this because Pilsners are my least favorite style of beer and I enjoyed this quite a bit.

Old
08-07-2012, 04:57 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Don't worry about it. I'm just stoked about getting some west coast stuff. It's not like the blackberry porter was bad.
No problem this is what you can look forward to:

-Sherbrooke Beer God Series 1-3 - Baltic Porter, Belgian Style Triple, Belgian Hibiscous
-Wildrose Belgian Style Dubbel
-Sherbrooke Hot Chocolate Stout (Made at Paddock Wood)
-Cannery Blackberry Porter and the Naramata Nut Brown
-Yukon Brewing ADD series#3 Imperial IPA
-Alley Kat Dragon Series #4 Indigo Dragon DIPA

Old
08-07-2012, 09:00 PM
cfrancis

Quote:
No problem this is what you can look forward to:

-Sherbrooke Beer God Series 1-3 - Baltic Porter, Belgian Style Triple, Belgian Hibiscous
-Wildrose Belgian Style Dubbel
-Sherbrooke Hot Chocolate Stout (Made at Paddock Wood)
-Cannery Blackberry Porter and the Naramata Nut Brown
-Yukon Brewing ADD series#3 Imperial IPA
-Alley Kat Dragon Series #4 Indigo Dragon DIPA

Old
08-07-2012, 09:04 PM
cfrancis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
This is by Beau's Brewery. It's a Kolsch style called Lug Tread Lagered Ale.

I've spent 3 weeks in the past year in Germany in Cologne for work and have extensive Kolsch drinking training during that time. Once I came back I tried Lug Tread right away since I had the German taste on my palate. The Lug Tread is very good when compared to the style. Very similar to the original German Kolsch beers.

www.beaus.ca

They have a great Oktoberfest festival every year here in Ottawa. Plenty of good fun and good beer. These guys "get" it.

Old
08-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
I thought I had lots of hoppy stuff until I looked over it again. Hopefully when we do this again I can get you some of the older dragons. I think it's still possible to find the black and yellow. The Yellow thus far has been my favorite.