HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks News/Notes #10

Closed Thread

Old
08-05-2012, 05:25 PM
WantonAbandon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Yeah, not having heart certainly would make you a poor baseball player no matter how much talent you have (see: JD Drew)...but having a ton of it doesn't help you overcome a lack of talent. In hockey that's not necessarily true because there's many guys that don't have "NHL" talent that are there purely based on the heart and desire they have (see: Andrew Desjardins).
I thought Desi was in there due to his abilities to win face offs, defensively responsible, and most important to the Sharks he is versatile. If Desi can somehow become a reliable PKer, I could see him playing 1,000 games in the NHL. There is some real talent there, I don't think he is there purely because of heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
FTF still has faith in Petrecki?
Taylor seems to like him. The Neutral just criticized the Kurz's article because it lacked any real "evidence" as to why Petrecki was bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
I thought Desi was in there due to his abilities to win face offs, defensively responsible, and most important to the Sharks he is versatile. If Desi can somehow become a reliable PKer, I could see him playing 1,000 games in the NHL. There is some real talent there, I don't think he is there purely because of heart.
Ok 1000 is a bit of a stretch, but he could sniff 700

Last edited by slocal: 08-05-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old
08-05-2012, 05:31 PM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
He got an NHL gig solely because of his heart. IIRC, he was merely a fill-in player in the AHL. He was undrafted, and was only put on Worcester because they needed another body. His heart made him succeed in Worcester, and his grit allowed him to crack the NHL roster.

As for the Kurz debate, it's hard not to root for Kurz here. To me, the FTF guys are sounding like immature keyboard warriors.

Old
08-05-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
He got an NHL gig solely because of his heart. IIRC, he was merely a fill-in player in the AHL. He was undrafted, and was only put on Worcester because they needed another body. His heart made him succeed in Worcester, and his grit allowed him to crack the NHL roster.
It's even more than that, he was only invited to the WorSharks camp that year because they needed a warm body to have full scrimmages. He was not the most talented guy at that camp, but he (and Dan DaSilva, who was the guy they expected to make the team out of camp) were the only ones they kept around.

Old
08-05-2012, 05:35 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:

As for the Kurz debate, it's hard not to root for Kurz here. To me, the FTF guys are sounding like immature keyboard warriors.
If Desi was a mess defensively and the Sharks didn't see him as versatile he would be Europe bound by now.

Ferrio for example didn't seem to lack the cliche description of heart. He seemed to have no problem going into the dirty areas and cleaning up garbage, but he couldn't bring everything else that Desi could. This is Desi's skill set.

But yes Desi worked hard and he had a good amount of talent to tap into

On the other note, yes I would argue that FTF crossed the line in their comment section, however Kurz stirred the pot on purpose by saying the Sharks should buy out Marleau. In my opinion his one man crusade against Marleau is Duponts shtick. Some opinions really need to be called out as nonsensical and buying out Marleau qualifies. It's close to the same level as that hockebuzz bloger writing an article about how the Sharks may look to drop Thornton to make room for Doan.

Last edited by WantonAbandon: 08-05-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old
08-05-2012, 06:02 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:

On the other note, yes I would argue that FTF crossed the line in their comment section, however Kurz stirred the pot on purpose by saying the Sharks should buy out Marleau. In my opinion his one man crusade against Marleau is Duponts shtick. Some opinions really need to be called out as nonsensical and buying out Marleau qualifies. It's close to the same level as that hockebuzz bloger writing an article about how the Sharks may look to drop Thornton to make room for Doan.
Some of us actually believe the team could be better without Marleau even if buying him out is a bit extreme, as he admitted. I for one cheer him on for making a case against Marleau as he seems to be the only local reporter who will even touch the subject.

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.

Last edited by Led Zappa: 08-05-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old
08-05-2012, 06:09 PM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
On the other note, yes I would argue that FTF crossed the line in their comment section, however Kurz stirred the pot on purpose by saying the Sharks should buy out Marleau.
He noted that the "buy out Marleau" thing was extreme, but we're all entitled to our own opinion. FTF has to learn to attack the comment, not the person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
I for one cheer him on for making a case against Marleau as he seems to be the only local reporter who will even touch the subject.
I agree. Not necessarily with his "buy out Marleau", but how he's not afraid to speak his mind. Writers like him who aren't afraid to speak their minds are more interesting to read than articles like Drew's.

Old
08-05-2012, 06:25 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Some of us actually believe the team could be better without Marleau even if buying him out is a bit extreme, as he admitted. I for one cheer him on for making a case against Marleau as he seems to be the only local reporter who will even touch the subject.
I'm fine with Kurz or anyone criticizing Marleau. My issue with Kurz is that he doesn't even have an argument. He just has the "personality" and "streaky" issues and he just keeps rehashing them until my ears bleed. He says buy out Marleau but doesn't consider who we'd replace him with.

He's not making a case. If he makes a logical, evidence-based argument, and considers the repercussions on the team, then I'd take him more seriously. As it stands...

Old
08-05-2012, 06:38 PM
WantonAbandon

If he knew it was extreme, why write that article in the first place? I think he was trying to be extreme on purpose. The comments FTF made in their own comment section was not much different than what is commented on a constant basis regarding Eklund which is apparently acceptable. If anything FTF comments were tame in comparison. Tell me, what has Kurz done that has earned him more respect than Eklund?

The way the whole Marleau thing originally went down was Kurz made his end of the season Marleau evaluation, FTF posted an article of their own using statistical analysis aimed at dispelling some of the myths surrounding Marleau and this started a back and forth.

Old
08-05-2012, 06:43 PM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
If he knew it was extreme, why write that article in the first place? I think he was trying to be extreme on purpose. The comments FTF made in their own comment section was not much different than what is commented on a constant basis regarding Eklund which is apparently acceptable. If anything FTF comments were tame in comparison. Tell me, what has Kurz done that has earned him more respect than Eklund?
He noted the extremity today, not when he wrote it. And he said he's sticking by his argument whether people disagree with him or not. He isn't really trying to stir up anything, he's just stating his own opinion.
As for your last point, do you seriously not see the difference? Has Kurz ever said a trade was nearly complete when it wasn't? Eklund makes up BS rumors on a regular basis.

Old
08-05-2012, 06:45 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
He noted the extremity today, not when he wrote it. And he said he's sticking by his argument whether people disagree with him or not. He isn't really trying to stir up anything, he's just stating his own opinion.
As for your last point, do you seriously not see the difference? Has Kurz ever said a trade was nearly complete when it wasn't? Eklund makes up BS rumors on a regular basis.
1. Yeah I think he is. I think he has taken a page out of a common sports writers playbook. Dupont and Bayless have made careers out of this page.

2. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Eklund and Kurz share some of the same sources

Finally he contradicts his points in his own response. Hockey is a team game so stats can't be used to evaluate players. Its not like baseball that involves individual performances. However Marleaus lack of scoring for a few weeks was his fault alone. His argument is incoherent. So hockey is a team game when stats are used to argue against "what Kurz believes he saw" and hockey is an individual effort when it comes to Kurz's evaluation of Marleau... And the best part is his arguements against Marleau are stat based... His criticism comes down to how many points Marleau scored during a couple of weeks or so.

This is quite a paradox he has created and its one where he can't lose unless you call him out on his bull ****.

Is this me disrespecting Kurz?

Last edited by WantonAbandon: 08-05-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old
08-05-2012, 07:00 PM
WantonAbandon

FTF was a bit more crass than they needed to be, but what they did was similar yet far less eloquent version of this. Bayless is what Kurz is pretending to be. Just replace Marleau with Lebron James or Kevin Durant and bam...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv2jqFd2-qI

Old
08-05-2012, 07:09 PM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
FTF was a bit more crass than they needed to be, but what they did was similar yet far less eloquent version of this. Bayless is what Kurz is pretending to be. Just replace Marleau with Lebron James or Kevin Durant and bam...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv2jqFd2-qI
That's my whole point. I don't agree with what Kurz said, but the way FTF handled it was just immature. Instead of attacking Kurz personally, attack what he's saying.

Old
08-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS

Buy out Marleau?

How does a guy like this get way way inside a professional hockey team?

Old
08-06-2012, 01:09 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Logancouture: I'm not superstitious.....just a little stitous

Old
08-06-2012, 01:31 PM
KirbyDots

http://www.csnbayarea.com/hockey-san...7&feedID=10290

Pickles has a full NTC.

Old
08-06-2012, 03:25 PM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

vCash: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I'm fine with Kurz or anyone criticizing Marleau. My issue with Kurz is that he doesn't even have an argument. He just has the "personality" and "streaky" issues and he just keeps rehashing them until my ears bleed. He says buy out Marleau but doesn't consider who we'd replace him with.

He's not making a case. If he makes a logical, evidence-based argument, and considers the repercussions on the team, then I'd take him more seriously. As it stands...
Seriously, he's making a case that we should part ways with Patty, but there is no benefit of buying him out instead of trading him. If he is saying that no team will want a #1 C/LW, then you really have to question his intelligence. What was his reasoning, that he would not waive his NMC so it would be impossible to trade him?

Old
08-07-2012, 12:24 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

sjsharkie: Enjoying Nash with @Caps_Slapshot @BaileyLAKings @Nordy18001 @NJDevil00 @Gnash00 @BHawkTommyHawk #rockon!

(He's at a mascot convention)

Old
08-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Rude

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
(He's at a mascot convention)
I read that and can't help but think "Furry Convention." Eh, i suppose both require a certain kind of weirdo.

-Rude

Old
08-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Iron Chef

San Jose Sharks
It's official, Brad Stuart will be back in #7! Here are the other new number assignments: #5 – Demers, #7 – Stuart, #10 – Desjardins, #21 – Galiardi, #37 – Burish.

So with #5 being taken by Demers and #10 going to Desi, that means bye bye Colin White and Brad Winchester?

Old
08-07-2012, 01:37 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
San Jose Sharks
It's official, Brad Stuart will be back in #7! Here are the other new number assignments: #5 – Demers, #7 – Stuart, #10 – Desjardins, #21 – Galiardi, #37 – Burish.

(In response to my tweet this morning asking )

Old
08-07-2012, 01:40 PM
Kitten Mittons

Great, Couture is the only one left with a moronic number. Good job, bud.

Old
08-07-2012, 01:41 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude View Post
I read that and can't help but think "Furry Convention." Eh, i suppose both require a certain kind of weirdo.

-Rude
Mascot rules are very strict. For example under no circumstances are they allowed to talk.

Old
08-07-2012, 01:41 PM
Sharkway Drive
****ing All Star!

No new number for Braun? Is he still not "guarenteed" a spot?

Old
08-07-2012, 01:43 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Great, Couture is the only one left with a moronic number. Good job, bud.
Whats wrong with 39?

Old
08-07-2012, 01:50 PM
RammsteinGT
Prairie Shark

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkway Drive View Post
No new number for Braun? Is he still not "guarenteed" a spot?
This was my first thought, too. Either it was his preference to stick with 61 or the org thinks he's one year behind demers in terms of "time served", so he'd get a new number next year.

Overall, I don't like a single one of these changes! No reason, just that they don't feel right.

Closed Thread