HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks News/Notes #10

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-05-2012, 05:25 PM
  #101
WantonAbandon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Yeah, not having heart certainly would make you a poor baseball player no matter how much talent you have (see: JD Drew)...but having a ton of it doesn't help you overcome a lack of talent. In hockey that's not necessarily true because there's many guys that don't have "NHL" talent that are there purely based on the heart and desire they have (see: Andrew Desjardins).
I thought Desi was in there due to his abilities to win face offs, defensively responsible, and most important to the Sharks he is versatile. If Desi can somehow become a reliable PKer, I could see him playing 1,000 games in the NHL. There is some real talent there, I don't think he is there purely because of heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
FTF still has faith in Petrecki?
Taylor seems to like him. The Neutral just criticized the Kurz's article because it lacked any real "evidence" as to why Petrecki was bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
I thought Desi was in there due to his abilities to win face offs, defensively responsible, and most important to the Sharks he is versatile. If Desi can somehow become a reliable PKer, I could see him playing 1,000 games in the NHL. There is some real talent there, I don't think he is there purely because of heart.
Ok 1000 is a bit of a stretch, but he could sniff 700


Last edited by slocal: 08-05-2012 at 05:31 PM.
WantonAbandon is offline  
Old
08-05-2012, 05:31 PM
  #102
WTFetus
Moderator
Most popular
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
I thought Desi was in there due to his abilities to win face offs, defensively responsible, and most important to the Sharks he is versatile. If Desi can somehow become a reliable PKer, I could see him playing 1,000 games in the NHL. There is some real talent there, I don't think he is there purely because of heart.
He got an NHL gig solely because of his heart. IIRC, he was merely a fill-in player in the AHL. He was undrafted, and was only put on Worcester because they needed another body. His heart made him succeed in Worcester, and his grit allowed him to crack the NHL roster.

As for the Kurz debate, it's hard not to root for Kurz here. To me, the FTF guys are sounding like immature keyboard warriors.

WTFetus is offline  
Old
08-05-2012, 05:35 PM
  #103
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
He got an NHL gig solely because of his heart. IIRC, he was merely a fill-in player in the AHL. He was undrafted, and was only put on Worcester because they needed another body. His heart made him succeed in Worcester, and his grit allowed him to crack the NHL roster.
It's even more than that, he was only invited to the WorSharks camp that year because they needed a warm body to have full scrimmages. He was not the most talented guy at that camp, but he (and Dan DaSilva, who was the guy they expected to make the team out of camp) were the only ones they kept around.

210 is offline  
Old
08-05-2012, 05:35 PM
  #104
WantonAbandon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
He got an NHL gig solely because of his heart. IIRC, he was merely a fill-in player in the AHL. He was undrafted, and was only put on Worcester because they needed another body. His heart made him succeed in Worcester, and his grit allowed him to crack the NHL roster.

As for the Kurz debate, it's hard not to root for Kurz here. To me, the FTF guys are sounding like immature keyboard warriors.
If Desi was a mess defensively and the Sharks didn't see him as versatile he would be Europe bound by now.

Ferrio for example didn't seem to lack the cliche description of heart. He seemed to have no problem going into the dirty areas and cleaning up garbage, but he couldn't bring everything else that Desi could. This is Desi's skill set.

But yes Desi worked hard and he had a good amount of talent to tap into

On the other note, yes I would argue that FTF crossed the line in their comment section, however Kurz stirred the pot on purpose by saying the Sharks should buy out Marleau. In my opinion his one man crusade against Marleau is Duponts shtick. Some opinions really need to be called out as nonsensical and buying out Marleau qualifies. It's close to the same level as that hockebuzz bloger writing an article about how the Sharks may look to drop Thornton to make room for Doan.


Last edited by WantonAbandon: 08-05-2012 at 05:50 PM.
WantonAbandon is offline  
Old
08-05-2012, 06:02 PM
  #105
Led Zappa
Oy vey...
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 32,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post

On the other note, yes I would argue that FTF crossed the line in their comment section, however Kurz stirred the pot on purpose by saying the Sharks should buy out Marleau. In my opinion his one man crusade against Marleau is Duponts shtick. Some opinions really need to be called out as nonsensical and buying out Marleau qualifies. It's close to the same level as that hockebuzz bloger writing an article about how the Sharks may look to drop Thornton to make room for Doan.
Some of us actually believe the team could be better without Marleau even if buying him out is a bit extreme, as he admitted. I for one cheer him on for making a case against Marleau as he seems to be the only local reporter who will even touch the subject.

__________________

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.

Last edited by Led Zappa: 08-05-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Led Zappa is online now  
Old
08-05-2012, 06:09 PM
  #106
WTFetus
Moderator
Most popular
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
On the other note, yes I would argue that FTF crossed the line in their comment section, however Kurz stirred the pot on purpose by saying the Sharks should buy out Marleau.
He noted that the "buy out Marleau" thing was extreme, but we're all entitled to our own opinion. FTF has to learn to attack the comment, not the person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
I for one cheer him on for making a case against Marleau as he seems to be the only local reporter who will even touch the subject.
I agree. Not necessarily with his "buy out Marleau", but how he's not afraid to speak his mind. Writers like him who aren't afraid to speak their minds are more interesting to read than articles like Drew's.

WTFetus is offline  
Old
08-05-2012, 06:25 PM
  #107
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,385
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Some of us actually believe the team could be better without Marleau even if buying him out is a bit extreme, as he admitted. I for one cheer him on for making a case against Marleau as he seems to be the only local reporter who will even touch the subject.
I'm fine with Kurz or anyone criticizing Marleau. My issue with Kurz is that he doesn't even have an argument. He just has the "personality" and "streaky" issues and he just keeps rehashing them until my ears bleed. He says buy out Marleau but doesn't consider who we'd replace him with.

He's not making a case. If he makes a logical, evidence-based argument, and considers the repercussions on the team, then I'd take him more seriously. As it stands...

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
08-05-2012, 06:38 PM
  #108
WantonAbandon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,185
vCash: 500
If he knew it was extreme, why write that article in the first place? I think he was trying to be extreme on purpose. The comments FTF made in their own comment section was not much different than what is commented on a constant basis regarding Eklund which is apparently acceptable. If anything FTF comments were tame in comparison. Tell me, what has Kurz done that has earned him more respect than Eklund?

The way the whole Marleau thing originally went down was Kurz made his end of the season Marleau evaluation, FTF posted an article of their own using statistical analysis aimed at dispelling some of the myths surrounding Marleau and this started a back and forth.

WantonAbandon is offline  
Old
08-05-2012, 06:43 PM
  #109
WTFetus
Moderator
Most popular
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
If he knew it was extreme, why write that article in the first place? I think he was trying to be extreme on purpose. The comments FTF made in their own comment section was not much different than what is commented on a constant basis regarding Eklund which is apparently acceptable. If anything FTF comments were tame in comparison. Tell me, what has Kurz done that has earned him more respect than Eklund?
He noted the extremity today, not when he wrote it. And he said he's sticking by his argument whether people disagree with him or not. He isn't really trying to stir up anything, he's just stating his own opinion.
As for your last point, do you seriously not see the difference? Has Kurz ever said a trade was nearly complete when it wasn't? Eklund makes up BS rumors on a regular basis.

WTFetus is offline  
Old
08-05-2012, 06:45 PM
  #110
WantonAbandon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
He noted the extremity today, not when he wrote it. And he said he's sticking by his argument whether people disagree with him or not. He isn't really trying to stir up anything, he's just stating his own opinion.
As for your last point, do you seriously not see the difference? Has Kurz ever said a trade was nearly complete when it wasn't? Eklund makes up BS rumors on a regular basis.
1. Yeah I think he is. I think he has taken a page out of a common sports writers playbook. Dupont and Bayless have made careers out of this page.

2. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Eklund and Kurz share some of the same sources

Finally he contradicts his points in his own response. Hockey is a team game so stats can't be used to evaluate players. Its not like baseball that involves individual performances. However Marleaus lack of scoring for a few weeks was his fault alone. His argument is incoherent. So hockey is a team game when stats are used to argue against "what Kurz believes he saw" and hockey is an individual effort when it comes to Kurz's evaluation of Marleau... And the best part is his arguements against Marleau are stat based... His criticism comes down to how many points Marleau scored during a couple of weeks or so.

This is quite a paradox he has created and its one where he can't lose unless you call him out on his bull ****.

Is this me disrespecting Kurz?


Last edited by WantonAbandon: 08-05-2012 at 06:57 PM.
WantonAbandon is offline  
Old
08-05-2012, 07:00 PM
  #111
WantonAbandon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,185
vCash: 500
FTF was a bit more crass than they needed to be, but what they did was similar yet far less eloquent version of this. Bayless is what Kurz is pretending to be. Just replace Marleau with Lebron James or Kevin Durant and bam...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv2jqFd2-qI

WantonAbandon is offline  
Old
08-05-2012, 07:09 PM
  #112
WTFetus
Moderator
Most popular
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
FTF was a bit more crass than they needed to be, but what they did was similar yet far less eloquent version of this. Bayless is what Kurz is pretending to be. Just replace Marleau with Lebron James or Kevin Durant and bam...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv2jqFd2-qI
That's my whole point. I don't agree with what Kurz said, but the way FTF handled it was just immature. Instead of attacking Kurz personally, attack what he's saying.

WTFetus is offline  
Old
08-05-2012, 08:10 PM
  #113
Chairman Mallard
GO DUCKS
 
Chairman Mallard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pacifica / Sec 202
Country: United States
Posts: 15,289
vCash: 500
Buy out Marleau?

How does a guy like this get way way inside a professional hockey team?

Chairman Mallard is offline  
Old
08-06-2012, 01:09 AM
  #114
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 55,943
vCash: 500
Logancouture: I'm not superstitious.....just a little stitous



LadyStanley is offline  
Old
08-06-2012, 01:31 PM
  #115
KirbyDots
Registered User
 
KirbyDots's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mountain View, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,888
vCash: 500
http://www.csnbayarea.com/hockey-san...7&feedID=10290

Pickles has a full NTC.

KirbyDots is offline  
Old
08-06-2012, 03:25 PM
  #116
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow
 
JayP812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area
Country: United States
Posts: 5,865
vCash: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I'm fine with Kurz or anyone criticizing Marleau. My issue with Kurz is that he doesn't even have an argument. He just has the "personality" and "streaky" issues and he just keeps rehashing them until my ears bleed. He says buy out Marleau but doesn't consider who we'd replace him with.

He's not making a case. If he makes a logical, evidence-based argument, and considers the repercussions on the team, then I'd take him more seriously. As it stands...
Seriously, he's making a case that we should part ways with Patty, but there is no benefit of buying him out instead of trading him. If he is saying that no team will want a #1 C/LW, then you really have to question his intelligence. What was his reasoning, that he would not waive his NMC so it would be impossible to trade him?

JayP812 is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 12:24 AM
  #117
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 55,943
vCash: 500
sjsharkie: Enjoying Nash with @Caps_Slapshot @BaileyLAKings @Nordy18001 @NJDevil00 @Gnash00 @BHawkTommyHawk #rockon!

(He's at a mascot convention)

LadyStanley is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 11:35 AM
  #118
Rude
Registered User
 
Rude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
(He's at a mascot convention)
I read that and can't help but think "Furry Convention." Eh, i suppose both require a certain kind of weirdo.

-Rude

Rude is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 01:35 PM
  #119
Iron Chef
Registered User
 
Iron Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,953
vCash: 500
San Jose Sharks
It's official, Brad Stuart will be back in #7! Here are the other new number assignments: #5 – Demers, #7 – Stuart, #10 – Desjardins, #21 – Galiardi, #37 – Burish.

So with #5 being taken by Demers and #10 going to Desi, that means bye bye Colin White and Brad Winchester?

Iron Chef is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 01:37 PM
  #120
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 55,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
San Jose Sharks
It's official, Brad Stuart will be back in #7! Here are the other new number assignments: #5 – Demers, #7 – Stuart, #10 – Desjardins, #21 – Galiardi, #37 – Burish.

(In response to my tweet this morning asking )

LadyStanley is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 01:40 PM
  #121
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,551
vCash: 500
Great, Couture is the only one left with a moronic number. Good job, bud.

Kitten Mittons is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 01:41 PM
  #122
WantonAbandon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude View Post
I read that and can't help but think "Furry Convention." Eh, i suppose both require a certain kind of weirdo.

-Rude
Mascot rules are very strict. For example under no circumstances are they allowed to talk.

WantonAbandon is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 01:41 PM
  #123
Sharkway Drive
****ing All Star!
 
Sharkway Drive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SF
Posts: 1,523
vCash: 500
No new number for Braun? Is he still not "guarenteed" a spot?

Sharkway Drive is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 01:43 PM
  #124
WantonAbandon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Great, Couture is the only one left with a moronic number. Good job, bud.
Whats wrong with 39?

WantonAbandon is offline  
Old
08-07-2012, 01:50 PM
  #125
RammsteinGT
Prairie Shark
 
RammsteinGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,496
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkway Drive View Post
No new number for Braun? Is he still not "guarenteed" a spot?
This was my first thought, too. Either it was his preference to stick with 61 or the org thinks he's one year behind demers in terms of "time served", so he'd get a new number next year.

Overall, I don't like a single one of these changes! No reason, just that they don't feel right.

RammsteinGT is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.