HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lets Be Honest: Was Mikael Backlund Overhyped?

Old
08-07-2012, 03:52 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
This is kind of sad, I know our prospect pool sucks and all but stop overrating Jankowski.

His potential is max around 300 points. You're way off.
Wow, get a clue dude. Hate on Janko all you want, but he's easily capable of 400 points.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 04:49 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 1310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel24 View Post
Wow, get a clue dude. Hate on Janko all you want, but he's easily capable of 400 points.
Quit over estimating this kid. He won't amount to anything over 350 points. Stop placing the team on his shoulders. He can only do so much playing with scrubs.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 12:12 PM
LetsGoFlames
McDavid-2015

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
Young 23 year old player has a disappointing injury riddled sophomore season playing on the 3rd line in a defensive system. HE SUCKS, NO FUTURE.

I really think Backlund will step up this year, playing 70+ games and getting about 40 points. He's dedicated, has heart, passion, and he loves Calgary. I don't know why everyone is so eager to trade him or consider him a bust.
This, exactly. How many players can you think of that showed flashes of greatness amidst mediocre beginnings to their NHL careers? Prospects like this tend to steadily improve their play every year for maybe 4-6 years or more, before really maxing out their NHL potential. Backlund is entering his 3rd full season now. Granted last year was something of a disappointment for him but I for one, am nowhere near ready to write him off. He's a very smart and skilled young player who still has a lot of room to grow. I see him eventually maxing out as a very savvy, two way, legitimate-second line center.

LetsGoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 12:25 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoFlames View Post
This, exactly. How many players can you think of that showed flashes of greatness amidst mediocre beginnings to their NHL careers? Prospects like this tend to steadily improve their play every year for maybe 4-6 years or more, before really maxing out their NHL potential. Backlund is entering his 3rd full season now. Granted last year was something of a disappointment for him but I for one, am nowhere near ready to write him off. He's a very smart and skilled young player who still has a lot of room to grow. I see him eventually maxing out as a very savvy, two way, legitimate-second line center.
Yep. I always like to take a look at Jumbo Joe's first few seasons. Guy looked like a bust and then exploded when he got solid minutes and shook off the injury bug.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 11:59 PM
Guido Sarducci

I am starting to like Backlunds' all around game. I like him as a 3rd centre. I think a line of

Glencross------Backlund--------Comeau

would be a solid 3rd line as far as "200 foot hockey" goes.

Guido Sarducci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 02:33 AM
Northern Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynnek View Post
There is top 6 potential I believe. He looked good before he got injured last year. We will know for sure after this year though.
This

He is also another player I think fell victim to the Sutter system. He showed signs of flash, but then suddenly he is on the 4th line, then injured. Pretty difficult for a player to rise to potential and live up to hype under those circumstances.

This coming year will be a breaker for him where it's up to him to show his stuff.

Northern Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 07:30 PM
thrillhouse99

Was he overhyped? You bet, he was the only prospect with any offensive potential at all and there was nothing else to talk about.

Does this mean he doesn't have top 6 potential? Absolutely not, he could be a solid 50-60 point guy, he just is unlikely to be a 90 point guy.

thrillhouse99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 08:33 PM
calgarylen13

He was overhyped by many on here - however he had the potential. He needed more time in Vasteras as the key man, he would have had that had he stayed another year (without Berglund - who was a far better player at Vasteras). Now Backlund is a pretty mediocre player and still is quite a way behind Berglund.

calgarylen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 01:01 AM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Backlund had a lot of defensive starts against tough competition (as per behindthenet). In a lesser role, Backlund should be able to dominate his opposition. Like I said, If he can go hard to the net more as well as win faceoffs, he'll help this team win games. Hopefully his offensive numbers pick up in a looser system. He just needs to worry less about his own end when he's 200ft from his net.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:36 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

If a lockout happens, where does Backlund play? I'm trying to look at the bright side here and say that another year in the SEL, or AHL would do wonders for him.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:51 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post
If a lockout happens, where does Backlund play? I'm trying to look at the bright side here and say that another year in the SEL, or AHL would do wonders for him.
Given his past decisions and the idea that this is a year for him to 'prove his worth' to the Flames, I imagine he'd play in the AHL. Most years the SEL would provide better competition for him, but if there is a lockout the AHL's average player quality should get a substantial boost.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 03:19 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

I'd actually prefer him to go to the SEL. I want to see him continue to work on his skill game and get top minutes.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 06:57 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I'd actually prefer him to go to the SEL. I want to see him continue to work on his skill game and get top minutes.
I would prefer the AHL as I think his biggest problem is confidence and on the Heat him and Sven could be "the guys" which would do wonders for his game in the SEL he most likely would not be a first line center and I don't think it would help his confidence as much.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 10:06 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I would prefer the AHL as I think his biggest problem is confidence and on the Heat him and Sven could be "the guys" which would do wonders for his game in the SEL he most likely would not be a first line center and I don't think it would help his confidence as much.
That's actually a good point, you changed my mind. I want him playing with Sven as much as possible. Perhaps they dominate the AHL, that would be great for both their games and allow them to develop chemistry.

I like it!

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2012, 12:20 AM
Deen

Ship him out with Bouwmeester imo.

Deen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 10:04 PM
Flames34

Personnally, my expectations for the flames draft picks are someone who knew how to stand on skates, but Backlund may flourish under hartley, who has a lot of experience with young euro players like him. I guess we will see in two years after the lockout!

Flames34 is offline   Reply With Quote