HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stolen from the Bruins Board - What do you do for a living?

Old
08-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 1310
Stolen from the Bruins Board - What do you do for a living?

What does everyone here do for a living?

I'm 20, currently a student at the University of Calgary. Going for my BComm specializing in accounting and hoping to work in taxation after that.

Have a part time job as an Executive Assistant at an oil and gas compressio company.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 03:22 PM
DBU
Gotta Go Fast

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael Backlund View Post

I'm 20, currently a student at the University of Calgary. Going for my BComm specializing in accounting and hoping to work in taxation after that.

Have a part time job as an Executive Assistant at an oil and gas compressio company.
What year you in at U of C? My gf is in the same course (but she's in her like fifth year so I doubt you'd know each other).

I'm 22, was working on a Software Development diploma at SAIT, but in the middle of transferring to the degree program at Mount Royal for Computer Information Systems.

I am working the summer at Transcanada Pipelines in the Business Systems department. I actually only have 3 weeks left on my contract though haha.

DBU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Sauce View Post
What year you in at U of C? My gf is in the same course (but she's in her like fifth year so I doubt you'd know each other).
Fourth year, perhaps I know her?

Old
08-07-2012, 03:33 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Im 20, a recent graduate from SAIT. Considering heading over to UofC for 2 years to complete my BoCommunications.

I am currently a freelance web developer, graphic designer and social/competitive internet marketer.

I also work with a web design outfit here in downtown Calgary for larger client projects.

Check out my portfolio if youd like:

http://www.infinityorion.com

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 03:36 PM
The Hendog

vCash: 500
Quote:

Ha ha no wonder we see eye to eye on so many Flames things

I am 28 years old and am a CA who got his BComm from the UofC
Taxation though... you are a brave man

The Hendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 03:44 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hendog View Post
Ha ha no wonder we see eye to eye on so many Flames things

I am 28 years old and am a CA who got his BComm from the UofC
Taxation though... you are a brave man
Always had an interest in legal matters, so taxation seems like the right way to go. I'm taking my first taxation class in fall, so we'll see

Old
08-07-2012, 03:47 PM
The Hendog

Quote:
Always had an interest in legal matters, so taxation seems like the right way to go. I'm taking my first taxation class in fall, so we'll see
Ooo taxation has more legal jargon than you will ever hope for! Taking that and putting out accurate work within the dollar is what makes tax so painful

The Hendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 04:05 PM
DBU
Gotta Go Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Im 20, a recent graduate from SAIT. Considering heading over to UofC for 2 years to complete my BoCommunications.

I am currently a freelance web developer, graphic designer and social/competitive internet marketer.

I also work with a web design outfit here in downtown Calgary for larger client projects.

Check out my portfolio if youd like:

http://www.infinityorion.com
As a guy who once dabbled into the graphic design realm and was pretty handy with Photoshop CS a few years back, I just want to say that I love your portfolio. I originally wanted to do graphic design (and I'd still love to learn more about, even if it's just personal interest) so I always love looking at peoples' portfolios.

Old
08-07-2012, 04:13 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
As a guy who once dabbled into the graphic design realm and was pretty handy with Photoshop CS a few years back, I just want to say that I love your portfolio. I originally wanted to do graphic design (and I'd still love to learn more about, even if it's just personal interest) so I always love looking at peoples' portfolios.
Thanks Duck Sauce

I actually just launched it a few days ago as the old version was pretty horrific. They say you should be ashamed of something you made 6 months ago. Needless to say, it was embarrassing.

Yeah thats how I got started, was with just playing in photoshop. I realized if I wanted to turn it into a marketable skill id have to couple it with something so I focused on learning web languages. Now im as much a code monkey as a graphic designer. Lots of guys I know when the print and advertising route as well.

Old
08-07-2012, 04:16 PM
DBU
Gotta Go Fast

Quote:
Thanks Duck Sauce

I actually just launched it a few days ago as the old version was pretty horrific. They say you should be ashamed of something you made 6 months ago. Needless to say, it was embarrassing.

Yeah thats how I got started, was with just playing in photoshop. I realized if I wanted to turn it into a marketable skill id have to couple it with something to I focused on learning web languages. Now im as much a code monkey as a graphic designer. Lots of guys I know when the print and advertising route as well.
Yeah I considered going the same route but I kind of stopped using it for too long, and then newer versions of CS have come out and I just haven't kept up. Now I've decided to go the software route so for me it's strictly coding lol, though I like to think that I can make it into something more than that one day.

Old
08-07-2012, 04:18 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Yeah I considered going the same route but I kind of stopped using it for too long, and then newer versions of CS have come out and I just haven't kept up. Now I've decided to go the software route so for me it's strictly coding lol, though I like to think that I can make it into something more than that one day.
Funnily enough, I was thinking about going into Computer Sciences because there is so much money to be made in Software development.

Old
08-07-2012, 04:21 PM
DBU
Gotta Go Fast

Quote:
Funnily enough, I was thinking about going into Computer Sciences because there is so much money to be made in Software development.
I've always been under the impression that there's lots of money to be made in graphic design as well, but I was always turned off by how saturated the market for good graphic designers has become (or so I thought, maybe I'm wrong about that lol). But I guess you could say that about any part of the computer industry nowadays.

Old
08-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Rangediddy

vCash: 567
IffinityIggy,

I see you mentioned you create social media apps... that's like iPhone apps right?

PM me would you? I have an app I've been thinking about and want to run a few ideas past you. Might have some work for ya!

Rangediddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 04:26 PM
kirant
Kiprusoffarian

vCash: 571
20 years old, U of C student (Chemical Engineering, Biomedical specialization), finished 3rd year, wrapping up my 1 year internship (AHS) before completing my last year and graduating next May (fingers crossed ).

kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 04:27 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
I've always been under the impression that there's lots of money to be made in graphic design as well, but I was always turned off by how saturated the market for good graphic designers has become (or so I thought, maybe I'm wrong about that lol). But I guess you could say that about any part of the computer industry nowadays.
Thats exactly it. The issue certainly is not a lack of work. Its just an overly saturated market with, to be honest, a lot of 1 dimensional people.

You either have to be extremely good, very lucky or have an in with some large clients in order to freelance as a Graphic Designer.

Thats why most people couple it with Web/Print/Video/Advertising in order to build out a niche. Same thing with any industry, you have to specialize if you want to make more money.

Old
08-07-2012, 04:34 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangediddy View Post
IffinityIggy,

I see you mentioned you create social media apps... that's like iPhone apps right?

PM me would you? I have an app I've been thinking about and want to run a few ideas past you. Might have some work for ya!
Hey Rangediddy,

What I actually build are Web Applications, specifically Facebook Applications, such as this:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Glassm...18149681615914

or this:

http://www.facebook.com/lovelangdon/app_349697691742179

or this:

http://www.facebook.com/greendropltd...93491450714942

Iphone "Apps" are (mostly) built with languages such as C or C++, I develop for the web and use web languages such as HTML, CSS, Javascript and PHP.

Depending on your idea though, we can build mobile versions of webpages, which behave the same way as apps, but you access through a mobile browser instead of downloading.

Having said that, I know a few people who do iPhone App development, which is what you seem interested in, if you're interested I could put you in touch with them.

Cheers.

Old
08-07-2012, 04:40 PM
DBU
Gotta Go Fast

Quote:
Thats exactly it. The issue certainly is not a lack of work. Its just an overly saturated market with, to be honest, a lot of 1 dimensional people.

You either have to be extremely good, very lucky or have an in with some large clients in order to freelance as a Graphic Designer.

Thats why most people couple it with Web/Print/Video/Advertising in order to build out a niche. Same thing with any industry, you have to specialize if you want to make more money.
Yeah, that definitely makes sense. For me, transferring to Mount Royal allows me to take software development while specializing in business. I'm hoping that will open some doors.

Old
08-07-2012, 04:49 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Yeah, that definitely makes sense. For me, transferring to Mount Royal allows me to take software development while specializing in business. I'm hoping that will open some doors.
Thats a great idea, if I do decide to go back I will be doing a minor in business.

We are constantly turning down corporate clients who want us to build them custom systems for tracking their finances, or employees or shipping ect. Simply because building them for the web is impractical.

There is a huge market for corporations and medium size companies who need their own custom built software and apps to make their business more efficient.

Old
08-07-2012, 05:05 PM
DBU
Gotta Go Fast

Quote:
Thats a great idea, if I do decide to go back I will be doing a minor in business.

We are constantly turning down corporate clients who want us to build them custom systems for tracking their finances, or employees or shipping ect. Simply because building them for the web is impractical.

There is a huge market for corporations and medium size companies who need their own custom built software and apps to make their business more efficient.
Awesome. If they don't mind waiting 4 years for their work to be done, I'll be ready around then.

Old
08-07-2012, 05:08 PM
tfong

Tax agent with CRA, finishing up project management if anyone looking for a coordinator or assistant manager!

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 05:11 PM
TheJudge

I most recently worked as a flight instructor.

Currently I'm in training with Nav Canada to be an air traffic controller.

TheJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 05:24 PM
J Murda

vCash: 544
You guys all have some serious jobs! I am a roofer and a bass player but for the last six weeks I have been getting fat on the couch with a broken fibula. Since I have so much free time, when I'm not reading about how much the Flames suck and should blow it all up I am helping some former band mates promote their new album. So if you are into instrumental progressive rock and want to hear a really good local band, check out Truck's new album and if you like it, maybe buy it for 5$.

http://truckband.bandcamp.com/

I guess that seemed like a good place for a shameless plug. If you need new shingles, I'll hook you up with the HF discount.

J Murda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 05:29 PM
FlamesFan6612
#timerixonwho?

High School Student

FlamesFan6612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 05:42 PM
nogger
#wemissyoubutler

Apprentice Electrician

nogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 05:43 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFan6612 View Post
High School Student
As am I.
Last year though, grade 12.
I'd say we are actually still living the good life.

Last edited by tyflames: 08-07-2012 at 05:59 PM.
tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote