HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Problem and Solution: Shoutoot

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-07-2012, 10:23 AM
  #1
Milhouse40
Registered User
 
Milhouse40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,963
vCash: 500
Problem and Solution: Shoutoot

Change the coaching staff
Change the DG
Add some players, get rid of others

Still, we need to change what went wrong last year.

Shootout

12 losses last year in shootout
Good for the first place in the NHL

Habs players got 59 chances in shootout
Good for the second place in the NHL

Only 22% of them was successful
Good for the 26th place in the NHL

Habs got 78 points last years......add those 12 points and we're 2 points away from a playoff spot.

We've seen it all in the shoutoot last year....even Kaberle and Gomez.

IMO, the shootout should be an art....not a candy for the players that played well that night. We need to find 3 specialists and fast.

Therrien should practice the shootout as it were PK or PP.

I like Pacioretty, one of our best players. But last year they kept putting him in the shootout game after game. He had 12 chances and scores only twice. Even if he's one our best players, he sucked in shootout.

Who would you do to fix that problem?
Which players you would put every shootout?

Stastiscally speaking, last year Desharnais, Gionta and Bourque were our best shootout guy!!

Milhouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:54 AM
  #2
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 27,870
vCash: 50
Awards:
Shoot-out drills during practice is one thing. Signing three Erik Christensens, who are virtually useless outside of taking penalty shots, is another.

I'd rather have a handful of players ready to go, have a few tricks up their sleeves and most importantly - know the tendencies of the goalie they are facing.

Then again, I'd rather have a team that is good enough to avoid shoot-outs, two dozen times a year.

__________________
Shawn Wilken,
Head of Hockey Department
LastWordOnSports.com


Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:56 AM
  #3
caper8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 265
vCash: 500
So you think you could win every shootout? T

caper8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:58 AM
  #4
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,671
vCash: 500
Early in the season Price was having a hard time as well in them. But With Gionta and Bourque who were not there for many of the shootouts, with them back and DD being money last year, we should be fine.

I'd go with this order everytime

DD
Gionta
Bourque

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:01 AM
  #5
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,235
vCash: 500
I think there's a lot of wisdom in this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
IMO, the shootout should be an art....not a candy for the players that played well that night.
I'm of this opinion too. I think the shootout should be run like the PP and PK - a designated squad who have proven (in practices, at least) to have some success in this particular situation. Not based on hunches, and not as a reward for effort.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:16 AM
  #6
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 27,499
vCash: 137
Eller should do a spinorama and fall on top of the goalie every time there's a shootout.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:18 AM
  #7
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500
No Gionta didn't help either

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 12:45 PM
  #8
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 6,465
vCash: 500
How about the team works on not getting to the shootout?

Either win before or tank for the entire season.

Edit: If that doesn't work, lets just put Kaberle as 1st shooter all the time ok?

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:09 PM
  #9
Takashi
Registered User
 
Takashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 941
vCash: 500
Markov and Gio are back !

Takashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 02:39 PM
  #10
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,952
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I think there's a lot of wisdom in this:



I'm of this opinion too. I think the shootout should be run like the PP and PK - a designated squad who have proven (in practices, at least) to have some success in this particular situation. Not based on hunches, and not as a reward for effort.
Normally wouldn't agree with rewarding players who coasted in a game, but I agree with this too. Get some specialists and stick with 'em.

Btw Colby Armstrong is 2 for 3 career in shootouts. Though I don't think he'd be one of my regulars or anything.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 03:23 PM
  #11
Milhouse40
Registered User
 
Milhouse40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper8 View Post
So you think you could win every shootout? T
No i don't think we can win every shootout.
But every year between the 6th and 10th place there's a difference of 4 to 8 points.

Habs lost more of these points that any other team.

Milhouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 03:27 PM
  #12
Milhouse40
Registered User
 
Milhouse40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Shoot-out drills during practice is one thing. Signing three Erik Christensens, who are virtually useless outside of taking penalty shots, is another.

I'd rather have a handful of players ready to go, have a few tricks up their sleeves and most importantly - know the tendencies of the goalie they are facing.

Then again, I'd rather have a team that is good enough to avoid shoot-outs, two dozen times a year.
Well, we see more and more shootout.

I wouldn't sign anybody just because they're good in shootout either.
But i would identify the best players in shootout, and try to make them even better.
I wouldn't change every single shootout like they did last year.

Seriously, they even tried Gomez

Milhouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 03:47 PM
  #13
Fozz
Registered User
 
Fozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 6,368
vCash: 500
Price struggled mightily in shootouts in the first half of the season. He needs to improve in that area for the team to succeed.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 03:48 PM
  #14
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I'm of this opinion too. I think the shootout should be run like the PP and PK - a designated squad who have proven (in practices, at least) to have some success in this particular situation. Not based on hunches, and not as a reward for effort.
I agree that's how it should be handled.

We could even have a shootout coach! (or part-time coach - and honestly, why not if you're serious about it?)

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 03:48 PM
  #15
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Normally wouldn't agree with rewarding players who coasted in a game, but I agree with this too. Get some specialists and stick with 'em.

Btw Colby Armstrong is 2 for 3 career in shootouts. Though I don't think he'd be one of my regulars or anything.
Yah..the half clapper top cheddar. They said it in french on tsn when he signed with us. anybody know the french version?

24stanleycups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 03:52 PM
  #16
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24stanleycups View Post
Yah..the half clapper top cheddar. They said it in french on tsn when he signed with us. anybody know the french version?
It's "top tittie"

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 04:16 PM
  #17
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,465
vCash: 500
Has anyone done a statistical analysis of the shootout to assess whether some teams are truly better than others and its not a crapshoot?

If you have one team that's 7/10 and another team that's 3/10 it doesn't prove anything. You can get that from chance. There are standard ways to measure if the deviations are greater than chance.

Where can I find the number of times each team went to a shootout and the number of times they won?

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 04:31 PM
  #18
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 6,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakiHaque View Post
Markov and Gio are back !
For how long?

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 04:37 PM
  #19
Valois
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 384
vCash: 500
You have a good point, but like, it was so fun to watch shootouts under Cunney when we were already out of the playoffs. You never knew what would happen!

Valois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 05:17 PM
  #20
Milhouse40
Registered User
 
Milhouse40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Has anyone done a statistical analysis of the shootout to assess whether some teams are truly better than others and its not a crapshoot?

If you have one team that's 7/10 and another team that's 3/10 it doesn't prove anything. You can get that from chance. There are standard ways to measure if the deviations are greater than chance.

Where can I find the number of times each team went to a shootout and the number of times they won?
Nhl.com
Stats sections of teams

Milhouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 05:43 PM
  #21
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,648
vCash: 500
Correct me if I am wrong but since the lockout the Habs have always been a .500 or better hockey club in the shootout? There may have have been another year in there besides this one where we we're under..

It's unfortunate but yet true. You need to identify who your most creative and dangerous players are in the shootout and *stick with them*. I love Pacioretty and Cole as much as the next guy, but these guys aren't danglers that are going to have high success rates in shootouts. If they are extra hot one night, sure.

We haven't had a dominate shootout specialist since Kovalev/Koivu.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 05:55 PM
  #22
m00ks
Registered User
 
m00ks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,887
vCash: 500
Shouldn't really come to a surprise to anyone that a team lacking skill does poorly at shootouts.

You'd have a hard time finding a team who will have a worse set of 3 shooters than what we can ice.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 06:20 PM
  #23
Dekar
Registered User
 
Dekar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bound Kingdom
Posts: 5,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but since the lockout the Habs have always been a .500 or better hockey club in the shootout? There may have have been another year in there besides this one where we we're under..

It's unfortunate but yet true. You need to identify who your most creative and dangerous players are in the shootout and *stick with them*. I love Pacioretty and Cole as much as the next guy, but these guys aren't danglers that are going to have high success rates in shootouts. If they are extra hot one night, sure.

We haven't had a dominate shootout specialist since Kovalev/Koivu.
One of these things has no contract at the moment and could be had for cheap for just these sorts of situations...

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 06:32 PM
  #24
peate
Habs fan 4 life.
 
peate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,576
vCash: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekar View Post
One of these things has no contract at the moment and could be had for cheap for just these sorts of situations...
Not again...

peate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 07:41 PM
  #25
Megaforce
Registered User
 
Megaforce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: St. Raymond NDG/Mtl
Country: Azerbaijan
Posts: 1,366
vCash: 500
Good point OP.

Typical summer thread with the brainless dregs taking over fast though with useless dismissive remarks.

The other element is that Price couldn`t stop anything on the shootout, they would all just shoot it under his blocker.

He got a bit better when he changed it up and started pulling other unpredictable stunts like poke checking and so forth.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.