HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect poll, 2012: #13

View Poll Results: hawks #13 prospect
Ben Smith 12 28.57%
Phillippe Paradis 2 4.76%
Shawn Lalonde 1 2.38%
Justin Holl 7 16.67%
Dillon Fournier 6 14.29%
Chris Calnan 5 11.90%
Maxim Shalunov 1 2.38%
Joakim Nordstrom 0 0%
Klas Dahlbeck 1 2.38%
Brandon Whitney 6 14.29%
Kent Simpson 1 2.38%
Mac Carruth 0 0%
Carter Hutton 0 0%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-05-2012, 08:43 PM
clydesdale line

vCash: 500
How the hell is Ben Smith winning?

Between Holl, Fournier and Calnan is tough.. I'm going with Fournier though. Kid has been highly thought of for quite some time now. Alot of potential if he puts it all together.

I can understand if anyone picks Shalunov though. IMO, talent wise, he's a top 5 prospect.

clydesdale line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 09:39 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Smith, for what has to be the sixth or so time in a row for me.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 10:02 PM
BBH
Who's our backup?

vCash: 400
Hard to vote for Smith any time other than now, since he's such an enigma. But out of this crop I'd say he has the best chance to be an NHL regular, and at the soonest time.

BBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 01:39 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Smith isn't that good as prospect. Not a high upside, had a spot for 3 weeks and lost it in the end. Injury problem sucked for him

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
I have no problems with anyone taking Dahlbeck or even Shalunov over Paliotta even though they were drafted after him.

I just find it strange that I really never see him talked about. He isn't even listed right now and he was drafted ahead of Shalunov, Dahlbeck, Calnan, Smith, Nordstrom...well basically everyone except Holl, Simpson, Fournier and 2 picks behind Shawn Lalonde. He gets no respect or talk about him though. Paliotta had a decent season on a trainwreck of a team in a tough conference(Hockey East). I watched him play the National Champion, Boston College and good teams like Boston University... his team gets dominated but he is a good defenseman. And only a freshman. He is also a big guy so it isn't like he is a small NCAA guy...he is 6'3.

I just don't get why he gets no talk from Hawks' fans and he flies under the radar so much. Easily most underrated prospect no question. Nick Mattson is another one.
I just thought it sounded a bit weird.

I like when you write something about college. Isn't easy to find a stream - paid or not. Hope you'll do this again next year.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 12:31 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydesdale line View Post

Between Holl, Fournier and Calnan is tough.. I'm going with Fournier though. Kid has been highly thought of for quite some time now. Alot of potential if he puts it all together.

I can understand if anyone picks Shalunov though. IMO, talent wise, he's a top 5 prospect.
Smith winning at this point isn't too bad.. it was mindboggling last year when people voted him as our 4th best prospect. Yeah, he had a solid playoff... that didn't change what he likely would be once he reached the NHL full-time - which is a quality bottom-6 player.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydesdale line View Post

I imagine the fact Smith is getting so much love is the fact he has already played in NHL (With some success in 11 playoffs) and most people have had chance to see him either with Hawks or in Rockford

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 01:51 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

@13 it's not wrong to vote Smith... like Hoss said, it was wrong to vote him as #4 last year

Old
08-06-2012, 10:03 PM
WarriorofTime

Ben Smith, I think he's a pretty safe bet to play in the NHL and is ready. 2nd AHL season was derailed with injury which likely kept him off a spot on the Hawks to start the year but his offensive production was good.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 10:07 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Went Calnan. Has the raw physical tools to be a player.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 10:52 PM
Central PA Hawk Fan

People obviously are free to vote how they want to, but IMO, Smith is pretty much a depth guy with low upside, irregardless of how NHL ready he is. IMO, anyone with significant potential no matter how far away they are from the league gets ranked ahead of Smith, but it appears I'm in the minority on that viewpoint.

Central PA Hawk Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 12:10 AM
needle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central PA Hawk Fan View Post
People obviously are free to vote how they want to, but IMO, Smith is pretty much a depth guy with low upside, irregardless of how NHL ready he is. IMO, anyone with significant potential no matter how far away they are from the league gets ranked ahead of Smith, but it appears I'm in the minority on that viewpoint.
...or your evaluation of Smith is incorrect.

needle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:47 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

why is he wrong? Smiths potential is Bottom6 player without much upside...

Old
08-07-2012, 02:25 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
why is he wrong? Smiths potential is Bottom6 player without much upside...
he is not wrong at all. smith is decent - as a bottom 6 player, at best. let's not pretend otherwise.

also, once again, let's stop stockpiling these guys. we have a great prospect list - little space top-6 wise and way too many players to fill the bottom size. we have enough skill in the system that we'd benefit by trying to deal some of them while they still have value to other teams...and we can get good value in return.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 06:03 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

we have more than enough Top6 talents/prospect. good thing... if they don't reach their full potential, they might still be good enough to fill a role in the Bottom 6.

Old
08-07-2012, 05:41 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
we have more than enough Top6 talents/prospect. good thing... if they don't reach their full potential, they might still be good enough to fill a role in the Bottom 6.
but there's a point where we have to start packaging people to try to get a return that will fill a current need - particularly b/c it's hard to get decent UFAs (in general and specific to the hawks).

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Hawkaholic

This should be closed, pretty clear Benny wins this one.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 08:33 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central PA Hawk Fan View Post
We're on prospect #13. A low-upside but pretty safe bottom six prospect at this point seems appropriate for this slot. Would rather do that then just throw a random guess for which late 2012 pick may develop into a more intriguing prospect in a year or two.

Old
08-08-2012, 01:55 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
but there's a point where we have to start packaging people to try to get a return that will fill a current need - particularly b/c it's hard to get decent UFAs (in general and specific to the hawks).
the problem with this is that we don't know who will help us and who is expendable.

Trade Pirri or Krüger? Trade McNeill or Danault? Keep 2 of them? we don't know yet. What Team will fill our needs for Prospects? Teams that are rebuilding don't have those good players available and teams that have, won't their holes to be filled

Old
08-08-2012, 12:48 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
the problem with this is that we don't know who will help us and who is expendable.

Trade Pirri or Krüger? Trade McNeill or Danault? Keep 2 of them? we don't know yet. What Team will fill our needs for Prospects? Teams that are rebuilding don't have those good players available and teams that have, won't their holes to be filled
Yeah and look at last year, teams you thought might be sellers last year at the deadline like the Leafs and Hurricanes ended up re-signing free agents that had value rather than look to replace them. The line between playoff and lottery teams is more narrow than ever and teams
are reluctant to make seller type moves barring overpayment.

Old
08-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Rexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Rarely do people on here get to see every prospect, we are guessing more than anything.
Well, I've voted the same 3 prospects every pool haha, so I've seen them all (the ones I've voted for)

Rexy is offline   Reply With Quote