HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Intern Adam Breaks Ankle, Sues Preds

Closed Thread

Old
08-07-2012, 06:26 PM
thrillhouse99

vCash: 500
I would have thought they would get you to sign something absolving them of any liability before they let you run around the ice. Anyone know?

Old
08-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhouse99 View Post
I would have thought they would get you to sign something absolving them of any liability before they let you run around the ice. Anyone know?
They definitely do for the fans who participate during intermission. So I wonder how Intern Adam became involved in this practice run before the game where they obviously didn't use the waiver, and probably never do since a member of the events staff is likely the typical "test dummy".

Old
08-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

I wonder if the radio station's worker's comp insurance or the radio station is making him sue since it was not on his work property. Might make some difference regarding whether the station is liable or whether the Predators organization is liable where future premium amounts are concerned.

Old
08-07-2012, 08:41 PM
ChesterCopperpot1

Intern Adam has been an intern for the better part of a decade. Isnt it time he got a real job?

Also, this is what he gets for being a part of a terrible radio station.

Old
08-07-2012, 09:11 PM
predwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Been in for surgery lately? It's expensive, he likely also had to go for some rehab plus medication, also did he ride in an ambulance?. I don't doubt that $25k is pretty close to accurate, though i'm sure there's some padding in there too. This isn't some ridiculous cash grab by any stretch.

The only reason we're talking about this is because it's August 7th and it's the only news associated with the Preds since Weber signed.
He's having surgery? Well, if he's having surgery and all that then it gets much closer. I thought it was just a simple Set and Cast scenario. Though admittedly I didn't read the drivel that was posted about it. I really could care less for Intern Adam on 107.5 the River. He's about as useful as the rest of the cast there.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:14 PM
Nitrous Mafia

who?

Old
08-08-2012, 11:12 AM
sighthndlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
I wonder if the radio station's worker's comp insurance or the radio station is making him sue since it was not on his work property. Might make some difference regarding whether the station is liable or whether the Predators organization is liable where future premium amounts are concerned.
Doesn't matter where it happened provided he was working. Having a heart attack while being entertained by a prostitute is "working" if you're out of town on business at the time.

Old
08-08-2012, 11:20 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

If he is suing for medical costs that's fine, but if it's a worker's comp-type claim I wouldn't be surprised if he is asked to submit to a drug screen. Better hope he can pass that...

Old
08-08-2012, 11:29 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sighthndlady View Post
Doesn't matter where it happened provided he was working. Having a heart attack while being entertained by a prostitute is "working" if you're out of town on business at the time.
If the other side can prove you were fooling around with a prostitute they can make a pretty strong case for your heart attack being caused by something that was completely outside of the realm of your job. Not only that, but, unless it was in Vegas, they can argue that you were participating in illegal activity. Even if you were in Vegas (or anywhere that has legalized prostitution) they can say you were participating in immoral activities not advocated by the employer. I doubt that particular scenario gets very far in most court rooms.

I think here you're looking at a case of a guy doing something that could have had some dangers, but none that were reasonably foreseeable. It wasn't the first time this thing had been done by a hockey team. In his perspective, there are pads along the boards. It is reasonable to assume he felt like those pads were sufficient to protect him from a collision that would result in injury, and the team is responsible for that being the case. He did stick his leg out, but only after he realized he was about to crash into those pads. That is a normal reaction for someone who is anticipating a collision like that.

The team needs to just bite the bullet here, and pay his medical bills. If he takes this to court they could be on the hook for more than just that. They also need to have a sort of moratorium on this particular event until they can make it safer. The court is able to award punitive damages, so they need to be as cooperative and remorseful as possible, even if it's just an act.

Old
08-08-2012, 11:30 AM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sighthndlady View Post
Correct. Company I was with stopped sponsoring softball teams when it was determined that a broken ankle on the field was worker's compensation.

Old
08-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by predwings View Post
He's having surgery?
The article said he had to have screws inserted. This was last December, I assume he had to heal and go through some rehab. Now almost 9 months later, everything is probably over and he has a grand total of medical/rehab bills that he can sue for, which would be why he waited so long.

If the Preds are smart they just settle this by cutting him a $25k check and stay out of court. Shame that they didn't just step up in the first place and agree to pay any medical costs when it happened. I know that nobody wants to willingly give up thousands of dollars, but THAT story would have been much more positive for the organization.

Old
08-08-2012, 05:50 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
The article said he had to have screws inserted. This was last December, I assume he had to heal and go through some rehab. Now almost 9 months later, everything is probably over and he has a grand total of medical/rehab bills that he can sue for, which would be why he waited so long.

If the Preds are smart they just settle this by cutting him a $25k check and stay out of court. Shame that they didn't just step up in the first place and agree to pay any medical costs when it happened. I know that nobody wants to willingly give up thousands of dollars, but THAT story would have been much more positive for the organization.
a shame 107.5 isn't cutting him the check, for putting him in that situation and his own damn fault for not listening to the guys on the ice to not stick your damn foot out like that ... whiplash >>>>>> broken bones in your ankle

Old
08-08-2012, 06:10 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
If the other side can prove you were fooling around with a prostitute they can make a pretty strong case for your heart attack being caused by something that was completely outside of the realm of your job. Not only that, but, unless it was in Vegas, they can argue that you were participating in illegal activity. Even if you were in Vegas (or anywhere that has legalized prostitution) they can say you were participating in immoral activities not advocated by the employer. I doubt that particular scenario gets very far in most court rooms.

I think here you're looking at a case of a guy doing something that could have had some dangers, but none that were reasonably foreseeable. It wasn't the first time this thing had been done by a hockey team. In his perspective, there are pads along the boards. It is reasonable to assume he felt like those pads were sufficient to protect him from a collision that would result in injury, and the team is responsible for that being the case. He did stick his leg out, but only after he realized he was about to crash into those pads. That is a normal reaction for someone who is anticipating a collision like that.

The team needs to just bite the bullet here, and pay his medical bills. If he takes this to court they could be on the hook for more than just that. They also need to have a sort of moratorium on this particular event until they can make it safer. The court is able to award punitive damages, so they need to be as cooperative and remorseful as possible, even if it's just an act.
Prostitution is illegal in Vegas.

Old
08-08-2012, 09:09 PM
K3V1N

Sucks all around. I remember being a poor grad. student and broke my hand on a snowboarding trip. Luckily I took out travel insurance the weekend before I flew out. It cost me around $20k or so after surgery and temporarily not working, but the already assistantship helped some. Typing sucked since I had nine screws and a plate in me left hand. They should help the guy out for his medical expenses and time not working. And now lawyer fees. What gives. We are a community.

Old
08-08-2012, 10:01 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Prostitution is illegal in Vegas.
I meant Nevada.

Old
08-09-2012, 06:56 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Has anyone called Radio Jim to give him crap over this? Ryan, Brady? No one? guess I'll have to do the dirty work here... It's so hard being the smartastic one all the time....

Old
08-09-2012, 08:31 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Has anyone called Radio Jim to give him crap over this? Ryan, Brady? No one? guess I'll have to do the dirty work here... It's so hard being the smartastic one all the time....
I haven't, but mainly bc I didn't want to cross a line and dabble in his field. That isn't to say I won't be using this to talk **** to him next time we play them.

Old
08-09-2012, 09:28 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I haven't, but mainly bc I didn't want to cross a line and dabble in his field. That isn't to say I won't be using this to talk **** to him next time we play them.
I'll allow you the honors then and won't mess with him much...

Old
08-09-2012, 10:04 AM
hipcheck85
Where is Triggrman?

Quote:
I haven't either but I think it is halarious. Reminds me a jerky boys call........
" SUE EVERYBODY"

Old
08-09-2012, 10:48 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:

this logic is why we have so many stupid lawsuits... people file claims against someone with deep pockets and/or insurance(which I am sure the preds have) because in most cases its easier and cheaper just to write a check than defend yourself in court.

If the guy was sent there by his radio station and more specifically, if he was on the clock while doing it, then he should be covered under Workmans Comp. WC may be the ones driving this suit if they feel the Preds were negligent... lawsuits usually take years to play out, so unless the preds decide to setlle, this will take a while..

Old
08-09-2012, 11:18 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Funny I work with the original "Intern Brian" now. I have to get his take on all this.

Old
08-09-2012, 12:36 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
this logic is why we have so many stupid lawsuits... people file claims against someone with deep pockets and/or insurance(which I am sure the preds have) because in most cases its easier and cheaper just to write a check than defend yourself in court.

If the guy was sent there by his radio station and more specifically, if he was on the clock while doing it, then he should be covered under Workmans Comp. WC may be the ones driving this suit if they feel the Preds were negligent... lawsuits usually take years to play out, so unless the preds decide to setlle, this will take a while..
I'm not really sure why that logic leads to "stupid lawsuits". The guy was sent to participate in a stunt by his employer, sure, but isn't it the responsibility of the Predators to ensure he is safe while participating? Is it only stupid because the defendant has deep pockets? The legal system is actually easier to use if you have money. I don't see any exploitation or black mailing going on here. He just wants his medical bills paid.

Old
08-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Predsboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post

EXACTLY ... I've tried to stay out of this conversation but just can't ...

I hate that the guy got hurt; but, I'm sure he was made aware of the inherent risk to what he was doing. He likely even signed a release. This is a WC issue ... Sure, you can sue anyone for anything (not that you will win of course) but I'm of a mind towards "personal responsibility."

Totally agree with Voldy here ... THIS is the kind of stuff that causes insurance rates to be so high ... frivolous lawsuits. If this is a radio station stunt/promo, the station should be responsible through WC and he's responsible for the rest.

But ... the Preds will likely pay him off.

Old
08-09-2012, 01:06 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I'm not really sure why that logic leads to "stupid lawsuits". The guy was sent to participate in a stunt by his employer, sure, but isn't it the responsibility of the Predators to ensure he is safe while participating? Is it only stupid because the defendant has deep pockets? The legal system is actually easier to use if you have money. I don't see any exploitation or black mailing going on here. He just wants his medical bills paid.
He wilfully engaged in an activity that no one can "ensure" is safe. I dont see how there's any negligence on anyone's part.

You know why he wants 25k? Let me tell you - 25k (give or take) is the range that most liability insurance carriers usually won't go to court to fight. I used to investigate auto accidents for a major carrier. I can't tell you how many demands we got from accident "victims" requesting 20-30k.

The lawyers know that they won't have to step foot in a courtroom, they get 40% of it, the "victim" gets a little cash to play around with, and the insurance companies just raise everyone's rates a little.

Old
08-09-2012, 01:24 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Or maybe he just wants to pay his medical bills since he likely doesn't earn much as a personality on a radio show?

This isn't a frivolous lawsuit. A frivolous lawsuit is one that has no purpose. If he legitimately hurt himself and has actual medical bills then it actually serves a purpose. In fact, if this were a frivolous lawsuit he would be asking for a much higher dollar amount, and there would be little chance of him winning. This lawsuit is likely to be settled out of Court. I'm just not seeing why anyone has an issue here, but to each their own

FWIW, willfully engaging in an activity that could potentially result in injury isn't enough. The Predators have to do everything they reasonably can to make sure that everyone is safe.

I have a friend who has two ponds on his property. If a child were to wander on to his property, fall into the pond and drown then the parents would be able to sue for wrongful death. The kid was obviously trespassing, but it doesn't matter. The parents would win some sort compensation. For that reason my friend has a locked gate. The point is sometimes the law doesn't really make sense, but it's still the law.

Closed Thread