Closed Thread

Old
08-05-2012, 10:48 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Do you know where we can find the physical attendance figures? The only figures I can find are the paid attendance on espn.com, which shows Detroit at #4 in the NHL.

I understand that paid attendance is very different than actual butts in the seats, but I can't find those stats...
I was a little unclear there, as it's all based upon estimates. While actual physical attendance would be included in the data the NHL gave to the NHLPA, it's not information they release, nor would they ever want to release it.

Old
08-05-2012, 10:48 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
Still not nearly as empty as most of the sun belt arena's and certainly Phoenix is on a regular basis.

I like though how they said "loud" without specifying though, loud about the lack of moves me thinks.
You have to be giving up on your blind red wing faith here soon. That is a team that was desperate for roster help and they got.... Tootoo and Sameulsson.

NOBODY to step in for Lidstrom or Stuart... and they struggled WITH those two at times!

Oh yea... they got Damien Brunner - a couple Red Wings fans are now claiming he's going to win the Calder (they said as much in the Calder thread on the main board).

Old
08-06-2012, 01:57 AM
Sportsfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
You have to be giving up on your blind red wing faith here soon. That is a team that was desperate for roster help and they got.... Tootoo and Sameulsson.

NOBODY to step in for Lidstrom or Stuart... and they struggled WITH those two at times!

Oh yea... they got Damien Brunner - a couple Red Wings fans are now claiming he's going to win the Calder (they said as much in the Calder thread on the main board).
Where did i say anything about what it's going to be like this year? Speaking in the past during the Lidstrom years it was fuller ten most people think. Trust me, I was there for a lowly Wild-Red Wings game two years ago which is a story I don't think I told here, and the arena was full (and incidently home sad for almost all but me and a handful of Wild fans who celebrated a 4-3 OT win courtosy of ol' Marty Havlat). That was just for a Wild-Wings game. What's it going to look like this yea? Especially if they struggle and they likely will much more then they have in previous years? No idea, but just stating past years it's been fuller and certainly stronger in fan support then a lot of hockey areas in America.

Old
08-06-2012, 05:57 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

I would love to see that Sawdust-Tootoo fight.

Maybe I'll jump into the fights forum and look for it.

Old
08-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96

Old
08-06-2012, 07:21 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

God damn.

Why couldnt he have won some fights like that when he was here?

Old
08-07-2012, 11:01 AM
INTOTHEVOID
Go right.

Marian Gaborik

I think back to when we had him still and we had DR, did he try to shop him at all? Did he ever attempt to resign him? Did he try to get ANYTHING for Gabby rather than letting him just walk?

I'm really trying to remember and I for the life of me can't.

Old
08-07-2012, 11:20 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTOTHEVOID View Post
I think back to when we had him still and we had DR, did he try to shop him at all? Did he ever attempt to resign him? Did he try to get ANYTHING for Gabby rather than letting him just walk?

DR tried to sign him the season and summer before and was unsuccesful. At that point, he should've traded him. Instead he waited, Gaborik got hurt early in the season and it was basically too late to get anything meaningful for him....

Old
08-07-2012, 11:20 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTOTHEVOID View Post

He didn't trade him the summer before, then Gaborik got injured immediately. Nobody was going to trade for him. Gaborik came back after the New Year. DR didn't re-offer the 10-year $75 million contract. DR signed Backstrom instead.

Gaborik played so-so through the deadline, and nobody offered much for Gaborik at the deadline because he was a UFA and was injured. Wild thought it was better to just keep Gaborik and try to make the playoffs.

DR fired. Fletcher came aboard. Fletcher didn't offer Gaborik a contract, who was clearly on the way out.

Old
08-07-2012, 11:22 AM
nickschultzfan

That year was just terrible. Bad news after bad news.

But I guess Fletcher came out of it, so that's a major plus!

Old
08-07-2012, 11:24 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
He didn't trade him the summer before, then Gaborik got injured immediately. Nobody was going to trade for him. Gaborik came back after the New Year. DR didn't re-offer the 10-year $75 million contract. DR signed Backstrom instead.

Gaborik played so-so through the deadline, and nobody offered much for Gaborik at the deadline because he was a UFA and was injured. Wild thought it was better to just keep Gaborik and try to make the playoffs.

DR fired. Fletcher came aboard. Fletcher didn't offer Gaborik a contract, who was clearly on the way out.
Didn't Fletcher try and guage Gaborik's interest though? I thought he did and Gaborik basically told him "don't even bother" and so Fletcher followed his advice.

Old
08-07-2012, 11:37 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Hmm... Let's see if I can accurately recall the timeline.

Wild made the play offs and won the division in 07-08.
During the last game of the regular season against the Avs, McLeod dumped Gaborik to the ice during a scrum.
Gaborik couldn't elevate the puck against Theodore during the first round exit to Colorado.
In May 2008, it is released that Gaborik was having left hip surgery to basically fix a bi-lateral genetic defect in the hip socket. The top of the femur is squarish, trying to fit into a round socket in the pelvis. Surgery re-shapes the ball into... a ball.
No one asks; "What about the other hip?" It is a bi-lateral genetic disorder...
Gaborik turns down DR's contract.
DR cannot trade him because everyone knows he is injured.
Shortly into the season, Gaborik gets hurt. Out until December.
Comes back in December. Plays three or four games. Injured again.
It is released that he is getting the same surgery he had in May performed on his right hip joint.
Out until March.
Wild miss the play-offs by 1 (or 2?) point.
Lemaire quits.
Risebrough is fired.
Fletcher is hired.
Gaborik basically has already said he's hitting free agency.
Gaborik signs with the NYR.

Old
08-07-2012, 02:21 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Didn't Fletcher try and guage Gaborik's interest though? I thought he did and Gaborik basically told him "don't even bother" and so Fletcher followed his advice.
where do people get this? Oh, i know. One person somehwhere speculates, then another person says "i read somewhere" then more people repeat. he was going to test free agency anyway (my belief, not fact) but Fletcher wasn't even considering bringing him back. by choice. easiest way to switch the identity of the team was to shift focus onto Koivu.

Old
08-07-2012, 02:24 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
where do people get this? Oh, i know. One person somehwhere speculates, then another person says "i read somewhere" then more people repeat. he was going to test free agency anyway (my belief, not fact) but Fletcher wasn't even considering bringing him back. by choice. easiest way to switch the identity of the team was to shift focus onto Koivu.
I think I recall Fletcher saying in an interview back then that he had spoken with Gaborik before free agency began to see what he was thinking.

Old
08-07-2012, 02:40 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

you could be right. I know fletcher sat down and talked to everyone that was Wild property at the time.

Old
08-07-2012, 07:04 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
I've heard everything from this to the other way around. I have no idea what happened, and honestly there is no point dwelling on Gaborik anymore when we should be looking forward to Parise playing on Koivus wing.

Old
08-07-2012, 07:33 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

speaking of past MN allstars...
does Rolston have a job?

Old
08-07-2012, 07:39 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
speaking of past MN allstars...
does Rolston have a job?
No. Neither does Bruno.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
08-07-2012, 09:07 PM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
No. Neither does Bruno.
Bruno should just retire and take a position with the Wild front office. If we can give Bombardir, Walz and Hendrickson post-playing career jobs, we can find something for Brunette.

Old
08-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
FSN...

I thought he was decent on NHL Network.

Old
08-07-2012, 09:10 PM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
Obviously FSN was planning on Bruno going somewhere to play, that's why LaPanta was hired. Bruno doesn't find a job, he's the new announcer

Old
08-07-2012, 09:12 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

I'm thinking Brunette could be a good coach...usually it's guys like him that do...Not the most talented, but was able to have a long career because of his work ethic and overall dedication.

In fact, I recall that he helped coach Benilde-St Margaret during the lockout season....

Old
08-07-2012, 09:23 PM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

I seem to remember some comments about his commentary at the Wild Skills competition a few years ago (Russo maybe?) making it sound like he'd be great behind a microphone. That would be just fine with me.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:44 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

I'll even take boring as hell somber Darby over Lapanta.

Speaking of which, my bet was that I wear a Lapanta avatar for three months, however, there's no reason that I can't change it to a different picture of Lapanta. It's been a little over a month now so here's the new Lapanta avatar I'll be sporting for the next month or so:

Old
08-07-2012, 10:52 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
I'll even take boring as hell somber Darby over Lapanta.

Speaking of which, my bet was that I wear a Lapanta avatar for three months, however, there's no reason that I can't change it to a different picture of Lapanta. It's been a little over a month now so here's the new Lapanta avatar I'll be sporting for the next month or so:

Yuck. Looks like he's asking you to explain something.. Like a cliinger.

Closed Thread