HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blue Jackets Next Captain?

Old
07-25-2012, 10:07 AM
candyman82

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
It was Minnesota in the early days.
So which 6 (April can be the "winner") rotate?

I'd say Johnson, Wisniewski, Prospal, Dorsett, Umberger, and who else?

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:23 AM
fox2usp
Inbred Cat

If it was my call, give Vinny the C. His future is the most certain. We have an idea he is a decent leader with good work ethics. He is well thought of by his peers and a known quantity by the new guys. He is an older player with a known respect among the younger guys. If he turns out to not be your guy, your stuck with him until retirement (what? 2 yrs. at most?). Give the A's to your other emerging younger leaders, home and away rotation. Umberger, JMFJ, Wiz, Dorsett, and Dubi. Use the 1-2 years to audition who will follow Vinny. This way, you can be better assured you get the right guy for the job and aren't stuck with a choice that might turn out to be less the optimum (I'm looking at you, Nash). Just my opinion.

"I don't think I'll live long enough to forgive Howson for knocking off my rose colored glasses. He's a horrible, wretched, little stinker of a man. I just hope he wakes up in the morning and can't poop." -CBJCougar (on the Klesla trade), March 23, 2011
fox2usp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:24 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weston View Post
Don't understand why everyone thinks that a dude that's only played 20~ games with us will get the C. I love JMFJ, but I don't think we'll just give out the C to someone picked up at the deadline that's happy to be here.
Just something in this comment made me imagine the Blue Jackets as a little high school girl with pigtails, and after Rick Nash said he wanted to take someone else to the prom, Jack Johnson swoops in to become the "Rebound Captain"

Because "He likes us, he really does!"

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:36 AM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox2usp View Post
If it was my call, give Vinny the C. His future is the most certain. We have an idea he is a decent leader with good work ethics. He is well thought of by his peers and a known quantity by the new guys. He is an older player with a known respect among the younger guys. If he turns out to not be your guy, your stuck with him until retirement (what? 2 yrs. at most?). Give the A's to your other emerging younger leaders, home and away rotation. Umberger, JMFJ, Wiz, Dorsett, and Dubi. Use the 1-2 years to audition who will follow Vinny. This way, you can be better assured you get the right guy for the job and aren't stuck with a choice that might turn out to be less the optimum (I'm looking at you, Nash). Just my opinion.
Agreed. I'm also OK with no 'C' being given out this year.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:51 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
So which 6 (April can be the "winner") rotate?

I'd say Johnson, Wisniewski, Prospal, Dorsett, Umberger, and who else?
I 'unno. For what it's worth, Minnesota rotated the entire time that Lemaire was the head coach. When Richards arrived, that stopped.

I don't know what the criteria used were. It might have been that the players voted at the beginning of a new month, or that the players voted at the beginning of the season and the assignments were made before the new month, or whether the coaches designated who would wear it, or what.

There was never a pattern that was followed, at least not that I can tell.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:56 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I 'unno. For what it's worth, Minnesota rotated the entire time that Lemaire was the head coach. When Richards arrived, that stopped.

I don't know what the criteria used were. It might have been that the players voted at the beginning of a new month, or that the players voted at the beginning of the season and the assignments were made before the new month, or whether the coaches designated who would wear it, or what.

There was never a pattern that was followed, at least not that I can tell.
Ok so it was Lemaire that did this not Richards. I had said Richards earlier in this thread.

07-25-2012, 11:01 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
Ok so it was Lemaire that did this not Richards. I had said Richards earlier in this thread.
The system was being phased out in Lemaire's last year. Honestly, I think he just stuck with it because he always had.

Here's the entire list, as on Wikipedia.

2000–01
Sean O'Donnell — October 2000
Scott Pellerin — November 2000
Wes Walz — December 2000
Brad Bombardir — January and February 2001
Darby Hendrickson — March and April 2001

2001–02
Jim Dowd — October 2001
Filip Kuba — November 2001
Brad Brown — December 2001 and January 2002
Andrew Brunette — February, March, and April 2002

2002–03
Brad Bombardir — October and November 2002
Matt Johnson — December 2002
Sergei Zholtok — January 2003
Brad Bombardir — February, March, April, and Playoffs 2003

2003–04
Brad Brown — October 2003
Andrew Brunette — November 2003
Richard Park — December 2003
Brad Bombardir — January 2004
Jim Dowd — February 2004
Andrew Brunette — March and April 2004

2005–06
Alex Henry — October 2005
Filip Kuba — November 2005
Willie Mitchell — December 2005 & January 2006
Brian Rolston — February 2006
Wes Walz — March and April 2006

2006–07
Brian Rolston — October and November 2006
Keith Carney — December 2006
Brian Rolston — January 2007
Mark Parrish — February, March, April, and Playoffs 2007

2007–08
Pavol Demitra — October 2007
Brian Rolston — November 2007
Mark Parrish — December 2007
Nick Schultz — January 2008
Mikko Koivu — February 2008
Marian Gaborik — March, April, and Playoffs 2008

2008–09
Mikko Koivu — October and November 2008
Kim Johnsson — December 2008
Mikko Koivu — January 2009
Andrew Brunette — February 2009
Mikko Koivu — March & April 2009

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 03:16 AM
ColumbusBlueJackets
Rookie User

I believe it will be Vinny even though he's only been with the club for a while. He is the kind of player who never gets old. He's always positive and uplifting. After watching interviews with teammates, everyone loves having him around. He can also mentor some younger guys like Johansen, Atkinson, and Kubalik.

As the alternates I think JJ, Wiz, RJ, Aucoin.

JJ because he will most likely be the captain eventually so might as well train him until that point.

Wiz because he has knowledge of the game and grit. He is the kind of guy who will give good advice to other players and they will most likely listen.

RJ because he knows the organization well enough and can show the new guys around.

Aucoin because he is mainly here for mentoring the young d-men. Murray, Erixon, Moore, Savard, etc. well definitely learn from his years around the league. He is also a good leader.

Other Notables: Dubinsky, MacKenzie, Dorsett, Tyutin

Recap:
Captain: Vinny Prospal
A: James Wisniewski
A: Jack Johnson
A: RJ Umberger
A: Adrian Aucoin

ColumbusBlueJackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 03:33 AM
solomonsacct

Wizz.

Give it to a guy who's barely played a game here? No.

Give it to a guy who is "ra ra" work hard but isn't good enough to make the roster on most other teams, loses every fight he's in and puts fear in the hearts of exactly no one? No.

Wiz was born less than 200 miles from the stadium so I mean, that's kinda cool. Reach?

Plus Wisniewski is way better looking than RJ, Vinny and JJ. Vinny looks OK but his default mug is a troll face/I'm so stoned right now face. I can't imagine taking that guy seriously as a captain.

Historically 3 of our 5 captains have been good-looking. I'd like to keep this going in a positive direction.

solomonsacct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 07:12 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomonsacct View Post
I'm so stoned right now
Aha. Now your post makes sense.

Old
07-27-2012, 07:29 AM
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomonsacct View Post
Wizz.

Give it to a guy who's barely played a game here? No.

Give it to a guy who is "ra ra" work hard but isn't good enough to make the roster on most other teams, loses every fight he's in and puts fear in the hearts of exactly no one? No.

Wiz was born less than 200 miles from the stadium so I mean, that's kinda cool. Reach?

Plus Wisniewski is way better looking than RJ, Vinny and JJ. Vinny looks OK but his default mug is a troll face/I'm so stoned right now face. I can't imagine taking that guy seriously as a captain.

Historically 3 of our 5 captains have been good-looking. I'd like to keep this going in a positive direction.
200 even actually. And JMFJ was born 175 miles away from the stadium.
And for good looking argument. I guess someone would give the C to Boll now after Klesla and Vermette are gone.

bizzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 10:18 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizoncol View Post
And for good looking argument. I guess someone would give the C to Boll now after Klesla and Vermette are gone.
Boll? Boll? I'm not an expert on men's looks, biz, but Boll? Im sure Coug would know better, but Boll? Isn't there any better male "talent" than that on the team? I'd like to hear from those who are better invested in male looks to chime in with a more experienced viewpoint.

I must add, though, even from a ferociously heterosexual standpoint, Rusty was truly a uniquely good looking man. My wife and I saw him out and about and both of us commented on it. In fact, it took me quite awhile to get her to shut up about it!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 10:21 AM
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Boll? Boll? I'm not an expert on men's looks, biz, but Boll? Im sure Coug would know better, but Boll? Isn't there any better male "talent" than that on the team? I'd like to hear from those who are better invested in male looks to chime in with a more experienced viewpoint.
I'm not expert either. I was talking exactly about CBJCougar priorities

bizzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 09:51 AM
PaddleHarder

Game 1 "C" goes to Vinny... And through the 12-13 season. JJ inherits the role from the 2013 season... And beyond.

PaddleHarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 03:06 PM
candyman82

Quote:

I must add, though, even from a ferociously heterosexual standpoint, Rusty was truly a uniquely good looking man. My wife and I saw him out and about and both of us commented on it. In fact, it took me quite awhile to get her to shut up about it!
My little sister thinks Boll is gorgeous, he's her favorite player for that exact reason

Old
08-05-2012, 03:39 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Quote:
My 21 yr old daughter would rank Brass and J. Moore higher than Boll in the looks dept. But yeah, she says Jared has "bad boy" good-looks.

Formers would include Rusty, Brule, Vermette, Nikita Filatov, and Marc Methot's brother (she saw him in the arena...)

** not endorsing ANY of them for the C, BTW.

Last edited by Derby: 08-05-2012 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Added
Derby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 04:20 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

IMO
C = Prospal
A = Dubinsky, Johnson, Umberger, Wisniewski

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 04:21 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizoncol View Post
200 even actually. And JMFJ was born 175 miles away from the stadium.
IMO Coug wouldnt write it

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 05:08 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

I think its very likely to go to Umberger because hes a good leader and spent a ton of time with the team, but I think Johnson gets the A, and Murray gets an A towards the end of the year, but Murray I think will be Captain eventually.

C - Umberger
A - Johnson
A - Prospal
A - Aucoin

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 07:38 PM
gocbj

Please, not RJ.

Don't forget that he lives at a hotel and has a bag packed at all times:
http://*******************/articles/...o-go-elsewhere

I am not sure why everyone likes him so much. I have never seen a guy get so much love while giving so little effort overall. I'd rather see a guy take a shift off once a game than play like RJ floating at a constant speed of about 75%.

He does not hit anyone, and the team does not respect him. If the team picks, it will not be RJ.

I vote for no C until about 20 games into the season, and then give it to Jack Johnson all day.

gocbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 07:56 PM
davidbklyn

I already said I think it should go to Vinny. Would like to add, I think Dorse should wear an A.

davidbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 08:27 PM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocbj View Post
Please, not RJ.

I am not sure why everyone likes him so much. I have never seen a guy get so much love while giving so little effort overall. I'd rather see a guy take a shift off once a game than play like RJ floating at a constant speed of about 75%.

He does not hit anyone, and the team does not respect him. If the team picks, it will not be RJ.

I vote for no C until about 20 games into the season, and then give it to Jack Johnson all day.
I am by no means a huge RJ fan and I don't want him to get the C. However, he doesn't live in a hotel with his bag packed at all times. He's one of the few that live in Columbus 12 months of the year. He bought a house and he settled in with his family here. He could have not signed an extension last year and have gone wherever he wanted.

I do have concern about his preparedness coming into last season after signing that big contract. But I don't feel like he's been acting like he has one foot out the door.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 08:28 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocbj View Post
Please, not RJ.

What are you talking about? Also, what is that link?

Old
08-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
What are you talking about? Also, what is that link?
The article's from Bleacher Report and is over a year old (2 May 2011); basically it was a "RJ might be poachable" article from just before he signed his extension based on his infamous quote about not enjoying the (then) last two years of losing. It made no mention whatsoever of effort level, hits, team respect, or living arrangements. It did, however, mention fan love... by starting out with a mention of when he was voted MVP.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 08:50 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
The article's from Bleacher Report and is over a year old; basically it was a "RJ might be poachable" article from just before he signed his extension based on his infamous quote about not enjoying the (then) last two years of losing. It made no mention whatsoever of effort level, hits, team respect, or living arrangements. It did, however, mention fan love... by starting out with a mention of when he was voted MVP.
Infamous? I don't want players who enjoy losing.