HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hockey cards

Closed Thread

Old
08-07-2012, 08:22 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 70
Just for the hell of it, I wonder what Crosby, Stamkos, Ovechkin, etc. rookie cards will be worth in 15-20 years?

It'd be kinda neat if they fell like the early 90's rookie card values did. Then maybe I can afford a few.

Old
08-07-2012, 08:23 PM
zeus3007*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Just for the hell of it, I wonder what Crosby, Stamkos, Ovechkin, etc. rookie cards will be worth in 15-20 years?

It'd be kinda neat if they fell like the early 90's rookie card values did. Then maybe I can afford a few.
I wouldn't be shocked if most of them do. Not to that level of course (real value on the best early 90's cards is under a buck each), but I'd be shocked if they were worth even half of what they are now.

Old
08-07-2012, 08:40 PM
Hyack57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bougieman View Post
My fave hockey card, mostly because of how bizarre it is. (Plus: Bure is a BOSS)

Oddly enough, it's from the same set as the Selanne card above.
Haha. The "Look at my mini penis" Bure card.

Old
08-07-2012, 08:41 PM
Hyack57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post

Doug Weight, Steven Rice, Tony Amonte before their first NHL games.
One of these is not like the others.

Old
08-07-2012, 08:56 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
I wouldn't be shocked if most of them do. Not to that level of course (real value on the best early 90's cards is under a buck each), but I'd be shocked if they were worth even half of what they are now.
Yeah that still blows my mind. All those great 90's rookies (i.e. Foppa, Jagr, Lidstrom, Fedorov, Jagr, Bure, and Lindros) and their cards are worth peanuts.

Old
08-07-2012, 08:59 PM
diligent_d

Quote:
Sometimes I want to open some crazy stuff but sometimes I just want to finish a huge set with every freaking player and have the cards be old skool cheap.

I would recommend the following sets: Panini puts out a dollar a pack product that nearly every retail and hobby shop has, called Score...it's a retro brand naturally where it's mostly regular cards on an early 90s design. Upper Deck has O Pee Chee, which obviously is a retro product...huge player list and is like 600 cards. Like old skool 80's O Pee Chee it's a tough set to build and very popular in Canada. The design is like old cards and they're even printed on pulp! And there's the best brand out there, Upper Deck base brand. This year's was so strong that the Young Guns RC of RNH booked for a hundred bucks. Not bad for a product that's usually around $3 a pack. The photos on the cards are awesome and it's a borderless design to highlight the action photography on front. Its released in two series and the regular cards including YGs are all relatively easy to find. Last year's product has already gone up by 33% because people bought it all up and busted the packs already.

All three products above have some game used jersey cards and if you're lucky maybe an autograph or two. They are all fun sets to chase.
Cheers, thanks for that.

I searched online for the 2012-2013 O Pee Chee set (had no idea Upper Deck owned them, that's how far out of the hobby I've been), and it seems exactly the kind of low-end, contemporary-yet-traditional set I was looking for.

The Score ones look great as well, though I'm not crazy about the logo being so prevalent.

Think I'll pick up a few boxes of O Pee Chee.

Old
08-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Leetch66

Quote:
Originally Posted by diligent_d View Post
Cheers, thanks for that.

I searched online for the 2012-2013 O Pee Chee set (had no idea Upper Deck owned them, that's how far out of the hobby I've been), and it seems exactly the kind of low-end, contemporary-yet-traditional set I was looking for.

The Score ones look great as well, though I'm not crazy about the logo being so prevalent.

Think I'll pick up a few boxes of O Pee Chee.
Crazy...but I remember getting cards at my gas station back in the late 60's when we gassed up for a few cents . I also remember putting them in the spokes of my 3 speed in the 70's . I also remember stopping in the 80's when I thought it was not cool to be a teenager and collecting cards . I also remember having my own shop in the 90's...that was a great time if you liked hockey cards in general but really expensive for consumers in general .

I stopped collecting/dealing again in 94 and ventured into oddball items and magazines and programs and as such strictly for my own collection . I have not opened a pack in years...but almost every time I see a box on a counter I want to open a pack but always resist the urge to cave because of the price...somebody should be ashamed at themselves whether it be the NHL licensing dept or the Players Association for allowing this to happen . A pack of cards should never be over a 2 buck price point in my opinion .

Old
08-07-2012, 11:23 PM
Elever
Hth

I just started scrap-booking cheap cards as a way to look back on at each season (combined with pool guides, draft preview, etc). I get the complete Upper Deck series 1/2 base sets plus cards of retired players from their last season which only ends up costing around $50-60 for 400 cards + 10-20 retired guys. This is actually cheaper than the cost of a hobby box although you don't get any valuable cards this way. But since I'm collecting these as a fan, I don't plan to sell them so I don't care if they're cheap ones. It's much nicer to collect them for yourself rather than to worry about trading them or what their future value will be and if it will even hold up.

I do however like to open a pack once in a while, especially the ones which Dollarama sells that has 15 cards for $1. Usually a third of the set is unknown random players from the late 80s or 90s and the rest is decent or good players from the 90s plus some more recent cards and they're always mixed types so neat to buy. They look like this. Really nice nostalgic value, I was so happy when I got a Valeri Kamensky card in there from when he was on the Rangers cos I could only find his cards from his Colorado days:

Btw, does anyone know of a site other than canadianhockeycards where you can order individual cards for fairly cheap (that site has them for 10 cents to a dollar for a lot of cards, obviously they have more expensive ones too but I'm not interested in them). I'm trying to get cards of notable players who played in the 90s or retired in the 2000s but just the cheap ones and that site is good but is missing lots of players or might not have much variety for them. I like to get a card from the player's last ever NHL season so it shows most of his career stats so another place with equal or greater variety would help.

Last edited by Elever: 08-07-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old
08-08-2012, 01:03 AM
someguy44

Quote:

A lot less than what it costs now because there's too many of them.

A Jgar rookie card costs between $5-$10 in the early to mid 90's. Now, it'll cost you about $2-$3 and that's Jgar we're talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by croAVSfan View Post
Lucky you...

Can you, if not a problem, upload a pics of it, I would like so much to see those cards...
I'll try and look for them and then hook up my scanner and scan them. But, I'll do it on the weekend when I have time.

Old
08-08-2012, 01:39 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
The cards of Gaborik, Nash, Kovalchuk, Zetterberg and Datsyuk are all almost 10 years old and have held their values for the best rookies. On the other hand Scott Gomez...

But, if another Lemieux emerges, a truly dominant generational player arrives, all of the other guys will go down. Right now a lot of guys are overpriced as rookies because they are the best in the game but not necessarily are Gretzky but the big two's prices, before this year at least, were Gretzky-esque.

Old
08-08-2012, 04:15 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
I just started scrap-booking cheap cards as a way to look back on at each season (combined with pool guides, draft preview, etc). I get the complete Upper Deck series 1/2 base sets plus cards of retired players from their last season which only ends up costing around $50-60 for 400 cards + 10-20 retired guys. This is actually cheaper than the cost of a hobby box although you don't get any valuable cards this way. But since I'm collecting these as a fan, I don't plan to sell them so I don't care if they're cheap ones. It's much nicer to collect them for yourself rather than to worry about trading them or what their future value will be and if it will even hold up.

I do however like to open a pack once in a while, especially the ones which Dollarama sells that has 15 cards for $1. Usually a third of the set is unknown random players from the late 80s or 90s and the rest is decent or good players from the 90s plus some more recent cards and they're always mixed types so neat to buy. They look like this. Really nice nostalgic value, I was so happy when I got a Valeri Kamensky card in there from when he was on the Rangers cos I could only find his cards from his Colorado days:

Btw, does anyone know of a site other than canadianhockeycards where you can order individual cards for fairly cheap (that site has them for 10 cents to a dollar for a lot of cards, obviously they have more expensive ones too but I'm not interested in them). I'm trying to get cards of notable players who played in the 90s or retired in the 2000s but just the cheap ones and that site is good but is missing lots of players or might not have much variety for them. I like to get a card from the player's last ever NHL season so it shows most of his career stats so another place with equal or greater variety would help.
Try hobbyinsider.net...spending a month on that site will expand your hockey card knowledge 1000-fold and the people on there sell their stuff for cheap, especially the smaller cards.

Old
08-08-2012, 04:28 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch66 View Post
Crazy...but I remember getting cards at my gas station back in the late 60's when we gassed up for a few cents . I also remember putting them in the spokes of my 3 speed in the 70's . I also remember stopping in the 80's when I thought it was not cool to be a teenager and collecting cards . I also remember having my own shop in the 90's...that was a great time if you liked hockey cards in general but really expensive for consumers in general .

I stopped collecting/dealing again in 94 and ventured into oddball items and magazines and programs and as such strictly for my own collection . I have not opened a pack in years...but almost every time I see a box on a counter I want to open a pack but always resist the urge to cave because of the price...somebody should be ashamed at themselves whether it be the NHL licensing dept or the Players Association for allowing this to happen . A pack of cards should never be over a 2 buck price point in my opinion .
I have to agree with that. You can blame O Pee Chee for that though.

Old
08-08-2012, 07:58 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy44 View Post
A lot less than what it costs now because there's too many of them.
Really??? Are there that many Crosby, Malkin, etc. rookie cards???? I thought most of them were shortprinted to avoid overproduction???

Hell I'd be happy if I could just afford Crosby and Malkin UD Young Guns rookie cards in 10-15 years. I've never wanted any super crazy extravagant rookie cards of theirs. I've always preferred the simplistic yet elegant look of their Young Guns rookie cards.

Old
08-08-2012, 10:54 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Hey guys,

I've wanted to buy a signed/jersey card for each one of the "big 4" on the Oilers.
Would I be better off finding a better deal on ebay or at a shop?

Old
08-08-2012, 10:57 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalken View Post
Hey guys,

I've wanted to buy a signed/jersey card for each one of the "big 4" on the Oilers.
They both have pros n cons. I'd go to a shop as you can actually see the cards in person and not have to pay shipping or run the risk of getting ripped off. I.E. not recieving the cards you paid for.

Ebay might be cheaper however.

Old
08-08-2012, 11:01 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Hey guys,

Check the sellers feedback. If it's a lot and all positive then you should be safe. You can even ask, or be willing to pay a little extra for a tracking number. Though, most cards over 50 the seller does it themself.

Old
08-08-2012, 11:19 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

So ebay is most likely a better deal, but has a chance of being a shoddy deal?

Old
08-08-2012, 11:36 AM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

Quote:
So ebay is most likely a better deal, but has a chance of being a shoddy deal?
You are almost always protected when you buy on ebay and when you pay through paypal.

I've never not decided to bid on something because I was worried get swindled and whenever I never received my items, I've always gotten my money back.

The only thing I suggest is doing what Analyzer mentioned, check the feedback of the seller who is selling the item just to be sure. No point in going through the hassle (messaging the seller, filing a claim, etc) if you already know the seller has sold a bunch of damaged cards or doesn't send them at all. If you find a seller that has a good amount of feedbacks and a good feedback %, you should have absolutely no problems.

Last edited by atl thrasher344: 08-08-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old
08-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Robotic

Ebay buyer protection covers you for 45 days even if the seller doesn't offer returns. Plus, consistent bad sellers can get suspended and banned from Ebay so I would not worry.

Old
08-08-2012, 02:41 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
The cards of Gaborik, Nash, Kovalchuk, Zetterberg and Datsyuk are all almost 10 years old and have held their values for the best rookies. On the other hand Scott Gomez...

But, if another Lemieux emerges, a truly dominant generational player arrives, all of the other guys will go down. Right now a lot of guys are overpriced as rookies because they are the best in the game but not necessarily are Gretzky but the big two's prices, before this year at least, were Gretzky-esque.
Held their values? According to the magical book they may have held their value. They aren't valueless, but they certainly aren't as valuable as they once were. If you think otherwise, go ahead and try to sell them. You won't get near the same money you would have when they were new. And most won't go for near what the new hot rookies go for. Card values decrease every year, aside from the top rookie or two who comes out hot and maybe the odd guy who becomes a star and was common when his cards first came out (Giroux, Quick). And even those will drop in the long term. There are no long term up arrows in new cards, only down arrows.

Kovalchuk is for example, only the same in Beckett magazines. You could legitimately buy/sell a Young Gun for 125 bucks new. I could get one for 40 today. bad examples friend.

Old
08-08-2012, 02:44 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Really??? Are there that many Crosby, Malkin, etc. rookie cards???? I thought most of them were shortprinted to avoid overproduction???

Hell I'd be happy if I could just afford Crosby and Malkin UD Young Guns rookie cards in 10-15 years. I've never wanted any super crazy extravagant rookie cards of theirs. I've always preferred the simplistic yet elegant look of their Young Guns rookie cards.
Young Guns won't increase in value. Even short printed cards are a bit of a sham, there aren't enough collectors to keep their value either. The only way those cards will go up in value is if there is another boom in card popularity. It's all about supply and demand, and even if there is a small supply, the demand is small, and continually shrinking.

Old
08-08-2012, 02:47 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Try hobbyinsider.net...spending a month on that site will expand your hockey card knowledge 1000-fold and the people on there sell their stuff for cheap, especially the smaller cards.
The only real problem on hobbyinsider is finding guys who will dig through their commons boxes for small cards.

Sportscardforum is another good one, and seems to be losing less steam than hobbyinsider.

Old
08-08-2012, 03:07 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:

Quote:
Young Guns won't increase in value. Even short printed cards are a bit of a sham, there aren't enough collectors to keep their value either. The only way those cards will go up in value is if there is another boom in card popularity. It's all about supply and demand, and even if there is a small supply, the demand is small, and continually shrinking.
So what you're saying (correct me if I'm wrong) is that Malkin and Crosby Young Guns won't be worth half of what they are now in 10-15 years? Unless there's a huge spike in card popularity. Which IMO, won't happen.

Intriguing. I figured Crosby's Young Guns rookie would never drop below $100-150.

Old
08-08-2012, 04:05 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
So what you're saying (correct me if I'm wrong) is that Malkin and Crosby Young Guns won't be worth half of what they are now in 10-15 years? Unless there's a huge spike in card popularity. Which IMO, won't happen.

Intriguing. I figured Crosby's Young Guns rookie would never drop below $100-150.
If you look at past history, you can assume that. Crosby might be different as there seems to be more love for him outside of hockey than anyone else. If that disappears though, they may drop hard. Crosby is one guy who seems to go against trends. But Ovechkin, Stamkos, Malkin, etc I predict (all worth around 100 now) you will be able to get for around 30 bucks eventually, if they have any value at all. They certainly won't go up in value permanently.

Old
08-08-2012, 04:25 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
If you look at past history, you can assume that. Crosby might be different as there seems to be more love for him outside of hockey than anyone else. If that disappears though, they may drop hard. Crosby is one guy who seems to go against trends. But Ovechkin, Stamkos, Malkin, etc I predict (all worth around 100 now) you will be able to get for around 30 bucks eventually, if they have any value at all. They certainly won't go up in value permanently.
Wow. Ovie and Stamkos rookie cards are only worth $100 now??? For Stamkos that sounds about right, but I woulda pegged OV's around $125-150.

What's the definitive pricing guide?? Beckett has always been kind of a crapshoot no???

And Malkin's is worth $100 too you say? Interesting. I would have thought his was maybe worth $75-80 but I guess it's gone up since he hit the 50 goal plateau and got his second Art Ross, a Hart etc.

Closed Thread