HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

First Leafs game

Old
08-06-2012, 08:54 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

vCash: 500
October 30, 1999 (age 9)
Calgary Flames vs. Toronto Maple Leafs
Leafs won 2-1

I was sitting in row 6 section 113 in the acc, so right behind cujo, I remember being so pumped that I was so close to him..

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 09:15 PM
stormtracker

Might be dating myself a bit but it was during the 1976-7 season at the old Detroit Olympia. Many Leafs would come across especially from Windsor and Darryl Sittler scored the first goal of the game. The Leafs lost 4-3. That was when the Red Wings were called the Dead Things and the Leafs had a reasonably competitive team. They could not score the tying goal. What was my most memorable game going to the Olympia from Windsor then was a game two seasons later when I went across with a group of students from Windsor. I went into a section with a couple of other classmates and was pretty loud and boisterous for the Leafs. At the start of the third period, a beer cup was thrown at the Leafs pennant that I was waving but it missed. So being a little arrogant I yelled out that the person throwing that could shoot as accurately as the Red Wings. That caused some anger because my friends and I had beer thrown our way. One of my colleagues had someone spit in his hair. There were a lot of taunts that reached the point that I got up and left the section as there was a real safety issue in my mind. I was not quite as loud that night. Oh, yeah. The Leafs lost and I did not see them win until after I had moved to Toronto for school.
Nice to share some memories.

stormtracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 09:31 PM
PunchDLove*

December 10th (?) 2006.

Rangers came to town and got absolutely embarrassed 9-2. I remember Lundqvist actually tried to pull himself after like the 6th goal.

Kyle Wellwood had a hat-trick.

PunchDLove* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 09:33 PM
Edgeworth*

went with my Dad in 2002, team lost to Calgary in overtime. Haagan Daaz costed a lot and we sat infront of Flames fans who were being drunk *******s. Wasn't a great experience.

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 10:15 PM
RonTextall

Send a message via Skype™ to RonTextall
In 1993 me and 3 friends drove from Belleville to Oshawa and took the Go-Train to Union, then a subway to Carleton. Leafs beat the Whalers 5-3. We sat in the upper bowl. We caught the last train out of town.

RonTextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:07 PM
Ducati1098VII

I went to the best game. Leafs vs Washington.

Beauty pp goal by ovie sniped past Gerber. Then near the end of the third he gets thrown out with 53 seconds to go for shoving a referee and we bring cujo.. and he saves everything with a cujo chant after ever save. Into OT... and then shutout where cujo shut the door. I was 5 seats from being moved to a better section which later cujo threw his stick into the crowd.

I still remember some drunk guy yelling "You're watching history be made his first goal" when Oreskovic scored well guess not a big blip in Leafs history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4DDbUFSwNM

The best game I could ever imagine...

Anyone know where I could watch the full game? I'm curious to see if I was ever seen.

Ducati1098VII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:20 PM
WWB

My first game was Dec 21 1988, at MLG against Pittsburgh. My dad got me the tickets for my 10th birthday. The Leafs got their a$$e$ handed to them 6-1 and Mario had 3 goals and 2 assists to lead the way for the Pens. I will never ever forget that day as long as I live.

WWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:40 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWB View Post
My first game was Dec 21 1988, at MLG against Pittsburgh. My dad got me the tickets for my 10th birthday. The Leafs got their a$$e$ handed to them 6-1 and Mario had 3 goals and 2 assists to lead the way for the Pens. I will never ever forget that day as long as I live.
hard to be a fan and not remember your first live game.

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 11:58 PM
GreekLeafer

March 17th, 2007, Leafs vs Habs in Montreal.

It was my 2nd ever NHL game (1st was NYR vs. Sens in Ottawa, March 2003) but this was my 1st chance to catch the Leafs in action. I was in Row V in the lower bowl directly behind Halak/Raycroft. Right behind my row was the RDS desk. Jacques Demers walked in the aisle beside the row.

My dad got 3 tickets from Chad Kilger's dad, who happened to be pals with my dad. His dad Bob is the mayor of my hometown, Cornwall, ONT. Anyway, the game ended 3-2 in the only shootout I've ever seen live. Sundin missed his shot! The game was ****ing loud and Tucker had a sick fight with Bouillon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHC2FSX8kkg

GreekLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:33 AM
DeputyMcLaren

The first game I went to was during the playoffs against the Sens, It was the second game of Cujos shutout streak. Unreal game.

DeputyMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:48 AM
InterceptSchenn
Good Evening MrFrost

1998, Leafs vs Habs at the then Molson Centre in MTL. I was 5 years old,got to meet the players/coaches after. Great memory.

InterceptSchenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:00 AM
The Nic

My Dad took me to see the Leafs play for the first time at the Gardens in December of 1967. The Leafs team that I saw that night was essentially the core of our last Cup winner... though a few of the guys (Kelly, Baun, Sawchuk) had been lost the previous summer in the draft to create the first 6 expansion teams. The opposition was the brand new St. Louis Blues... led by Red Berenson. The "Red Baron" was the talk of the NHL having scored 6 times in a game against Philadelphia one month earlier. The Leafs slaughtered the Blues that night... I believe that the final was 8 - 1.

I was pretty young at the time... I distinctly remember being shocked at the bright colours of both team's uniforms when they came out to warm up... we still had a B&W set at home in those days.

The Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:00 AM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Was around 72 or 73.

I was playing minor hockey on a Saturday morning and after the game some guy came in a told me I'd been picked for some select team to play Saturday night. The coaches son was upset that he didn't get picked, but the coach reminded him that they were going to the Leaf game that night. I jokingly said that he could have my spot on the select team and I would go to the Leaf game with the coach. Shockingly enough, they agreed and I went to the Gardens for the first time and ended up seeing my two hockey heroes.....Davey Keon, and arguably the greatest player ever, Bobby Orr.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 12:14 PM
Cams

My first Leafs game in Toronto - Dec 11, 1985, Leafs beat St. Louis 6-4 - still have the ticket stub (was 12 years old). I was having a hard time recalling the roster, but I remember the game, although....not being at home when posting - I am having doubts, as I think it was before Clark was a Leaf. I do remember the score though, it was up in the greys.

My first Leafs game ever - was in Detroit at Joe Louis Arena - went so many times I can't pinpoint exactly. My Dad worked at Hiram Walker's and they had a suite at the JLA - so I went to many games for free there.

For the record, I have seen the Leafs play at: MLG (many times), ACC (many times), old Chicago Stadium at the start of the 93-94 season (last of the 10 game win streak to start that season), Bell Centre, HSBC Arena, JLA (many times), Carolina (2002 conf finals).

Cams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 01:26 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
We both got a great start for live Leafs games didn't we?
Yeah that's an amazing co-incidence, what are the chances?

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 02:00 PM
Stephen23

First game was November 27, 2010 at Ottawa. The Leafs lost 2-0 with Fisher getting two goals.
Reference: http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/recap.htm?id=2010020337

My second game however was much better. October 22, 2011 at Montreal (The game Gionta ran over Reimer). The Leafs won a back and forth game 5-4 in Overtime with Grabo's amazing spin-o-rama goal. Amazing game. Made up for the Ottawa game the year prior.
Reference: http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/recap.htm?id=2011020098

Stephen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 03:31 PM
nsleaf

Long time ago-- Leafs/Wings pre-season game at the old MLG.(Gilmour, Clarke, Cujo were all playing) Pretty boring game actually(Leafs lost 2-0). I was more interested in Maple Leaf Gardens than the game. The thing that stands out is two minutes after the anouncer warned about following the play and to watch for flying pucks, a lady about 10-15 rows up behind benches got hit in the face by a deflected slap shot and was taken out on a stretcher.

nsleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:05 PM
dougieg93
flip for filip

Game 4 of Leafs-Detroit in '93. Single handedly catapulted me into a major leaf fan.

dougieg93 is offline   Reply With Quote