HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HF Beer Thread

Old
08-07-2012, 09:49 PM
cfrancis

vCash: 4880
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
I'd be cool with that. Perhaps closer to hockey season. Or if there is a holdout, we'll need even more need for liquid courage!

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:24 PM
Hoogaar23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
This is by Beau's Brewery. It's a Kolsch style called Lug Tread Lagered Ale.

I've spent 3 weeks in the past year in Germany in Cologne for work and have extensive Kolsch drinking training during that time. Once I came back I tried Lug Tread right away since I had the German taste on my palate. The Lug Tread is very good when compared to the style. Very similar to the original German Kolsch beers.

www.beaus.ca

They have a great Oktoberfest festival every year here in Ottawa. Plenty of good fun and good beer. These guys "get" it.
Oh nice. While I was in Cologne I very much enjoyed Fruh, but I loved Gaffel!

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:30 PM
cfrancis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
Oh nice. While I was in Cologne I very much enjoyed Fruh, but I loved Gaffel!
Fruh is very good. I also liked Reissdorf. Our offices are halfway between Cologne and Dusseldorf so I also did some study in the alt style as well. Ureige, Schlussel and Schumacher were standouts.

Old
08-07-2012, 11:12 PM
northern2020

Hey boys

Red Racer no longer being imported into AB...supply issues and a new distributor are keeping it in BC and Seattle only!

I'm leaving Kelowna with a flat of it, also Fat Tug IPA (delicious)from Driftwood brewing ...also not avail in AB!!

northern2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:14 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Ahhh that's the Kolsch style, I've never actually had a Kolsch before until then. Really explains a lot, there are a bunch of characteristics of the beer that scream Pilsner but then there are a lot that that obviously put it in its own category.

To be honest I've likely not rushed to try the style since its mainly brewed as a light beer(around 4%). To me nothing makes a beer better than a super high alcohol beer that hides its abv very well with a fine balance of hopps and malts. Seaking of which I'm drinking Lagunitas 13th anniversary ale tonight which is 8.8%. I'd guess that it's an Imperial IPA and probably the best Imperial IPA that I've ever tasted so smooth and so good. Also I'm a sucker for citrusy NA hopps though so I might be a bit biased in my review.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:18 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern2020 View Post
Hey boys

Red Racer no longer being imported into AB...supply issues and a new distributor are keeping it in BC and Seattle only!

I'm leaving Kelowna with a flat of it, also Fat Tug IPA (delicious)from Driftwood brewing ...also not avail in AB!!
Thanks for rubbing it in my face. I've been told by so many people how great their beer is and I've several times had it in my hand only to put it down for something else thinking well it's a BC beer I can get it anytime. Now I'm kicking myself in the ass. I much need a trip to Vancouver or even BC in general.

Old
08-08-2012, 06:59 AM
cfrancis

Quote:
Hey boys

That sucks, it has just finally been available on a semi regular basis here in Ontario. Looks like I need to pick up another whack of it before it disappears.

Old
08-08-2012, 07:00 AM
cfrancis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Ahhh that's the Kolsch style, I've never actually had a Kolsch before until then. Really explains a lot, there are a bunch of characteristics of the beer that scream Pilsner but then there are a lot that that obviously put it in its own category.

To be honest I've likely not rushed to try the style since its mainly brewed as a light beer(around 4%). To me nothing makes a beer better than a super high alcohol beer that hides its abv very well with a fine balance of hopps and malts. Seaking of which I'm drinking Lagunitas 13th anniversary ale tonight which is 8.8%. I'd guess that it's an Imperial IPA and probably the best Imperial IPA that I've ever tasted so smooth and so good. Also I'm a sucker for citrusy NA hopps though so I might be a bit biased in my review.
I've never met a Lagunitas that I didn't love. Their Imperial Red is every piece of amazing.

Old
08-08-2012, 07:43 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Fruh is very good. I also liked Reissdorf. Our offices are halfway between Cologne and Dusseldorf so I also did some study in the alt style as well. Ureige, Schlussel and Schumacher were standouts.
So when you study for these types of exams, do you cram? Or do you start a week early?

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 08:28 AM
cfrancis

Much cramming is necessary. Sometimes all-nighters!

Old
08-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
So when you study for these types of exams, do you cram? Or do you start a week early?

You start a week early and cram every single night. 2 birds with one stone my friend.

Old
08-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
I've never met a Lagunitas that I didn't love. Their Imperial Red is every piece of amazing.
I'm starting to find this out too, their hop stoopid is fantastic as well.

Old
08-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
I'd be cool with that. Perhaps closer to hockey season. Or if there is a holdout, we'll need even more need for liquid courage!
Yeah you bet, if I find some more on the shelf I'll grab em anyhow cause I think they taste best after sitting for a few months.

Old
08-11-2012, 06:20 PM
northern2020

Hey guys

There is also an imperial (100+ IBU) IPA at Sherbrooke that I grabbed called Mikkeler 1000 IBU....yes 1000 IBU!

I can't describe how it tastes but any IPA fan will admire.

Here's a review

"The pour is a very hazy, reddish-chestnut color with a full, dense, off-white head which settles to a rocky, creamy layer and leaves lots of scattered, drippy lace. The nose is a hop bomb full of resinous pine, rustic, spicy, some herbal, faint green hops, and juicy fruit notes of peach and passionfruit. The flavor is awesome, very high bitterness but balanced by a light biscuit and toasted caramel, still the same fruit notes, very rustic, pine resins all over. The palate is nearly full, less than lively, creamy, and oily. The finish is the bitterness just overwhelming any sweetness and lingering forever, rustic and resins, green hops left on the tongue. Extreme bitterness but some just barely balancing notes with the malts and juicy fruit notes. Very well put together beer and certainly not for the faint of heart. A true hop bomb without the intense green hop notes. Very nice beer from Mikkeller."

northern2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2012, 01:27 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Hey guys

There is also an imperial (100+ IBU) IPA at Sherbrooke that I grabbed called Mikkeler 1000 IBU....yes 1000 IBU!

I can't describe how it tastes but any IPA fan will admire.

Here's a review

"The pour is a very hazy, reddish-chestnut color with a full, dense, off-white head which settles to a rocky, creamy layer and leaves lots of scattered, drippy lace. The nose is a hop bomb full of resinous pine, rustic, spicy, some herbal, faint green hops, and juicy fruit notes of peach and passionfruit. The flavor is awesome, very high bitterness but balanced by a light biscuit and toasted caramel, still the same fruit notes, very rustic, pine resins all over. The palate is nearly full, less than lively, creamy, and oily. The finish is the bitterness just overwhelming any sweetness and lingering forever, rustic and resins, green hops left on the tongue. Extreme bitterness but some just barely balancing notes with the malts and juicy fruit notes. Very well put together beer and certainly not for the faint of heart. A true hop bomb without the intense green hop notes. Very nice beer from Mikkeller."
Wow sounds like an orgasm in your mouth.

Like Lagunitas I'm finding out that everything from Mikelers is above average to downright phenomenal. I'll have to grab one of these next time I'm there.

Old
08-13-2012, 10:41 PM
cfrancis

My list from my week in Maine:

Sierra Nevada - Torpedo
Founders - Reds Rye PA
Rock Art - Vermonster
Clown Shoes - Supra Hero
Dogfish Head - Positive Impact
Dogfish Head - 75 Min
Dundee Pilsner
Dundee Stout
Dundee Bock Lager
Dundee IPA
Gritty McDuff 21 IPA
Gritty McDuff Best Brown
Gritty McDuff Vacationland
Gritty McDuff Original Pub Style
Long Trail DIPA
Samuel Adams Barrel Room Collection Kriek
Stone/Fat Head/Bear Republic TBA
Clown Shoes/Brash Pimp Double Brown

At Bray's Brewpub:
Brays 1942 Summer Ale
Brays Pleasant Mountain Porter
Brays Rocking Black IPA
Founders Centennial IPA
Silly Scotch Ale

At Allagash:
Allagash White
Allagash Tripel
Allagash Curieux
Allagash/Maine Beer/Rising Tide Prince Tuesday

Brought back:
Allagash Black
Allagash Curieux
Allagash Coolship Resurgam x 2
Stone Ruination 10th Anniversary
Ithaca Excelsior Fourteen
Ithaca Flower Power x 2
Ithaca Nut Brown
Troegs Perpetual IPA x 2
Portsmouth Brewery Murphy's Law Red
Portsmouth Brewery Wild Thang Pale
White Birch Bourbon Barrel Brewers Reserve
Brooklyn Brewery Monster Ale x 4
Hill Farmstead Everett x 4
Hill Farmstead Vera Mae Batch 2 x 4
Hill Farmstead Edward Growler
Founders Porter x 2
Founders Curmudgeon Old ale x 2
Founders Devil Dancer
Clown Shoes/Brash Flight of the Pimp
Sixpoint Resin x 2
Sixpoint The Crisp
Sixpoint Bengali Tiger
Sierra Nevada Anniversary Grand Cru
Russian River/Sierra Nevada Brux

Old
08-14-2012, 10:57 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Wow that's an impresive list. I can't wait to go to Maine this fall. Allagash is definitely on my list to visit as well as Gritty McDuffs.

Old
08-14-2012, 10:58 AM
cfrancis

Save Gritty McDuffs. Nothing special. Go to Portsmouth Brewery if you in the south instead.

Box arrived safe and sound. Cheers!

Old
08-14-2012, 11:00 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

I'll mainly be in the Portland area, where about is Portsmouth? We will likely rent a vehicle to visit a bunch of lighthouses along the coast and might end up down in Kennenbunkport.

We are going via a cruise and Sebago and Gritty McDuffs are within walking distance of the ship so that's the only reason why I'd consider it is for convenience.

Glad the box arrived, hope you enjoy. Next time to fill it up I'll send you some homebrew, always like to get other peoples opinions, especially beer guys.

Old
08-14-2012, 11:36 AM
cfrancis

I didn't go to Gritty's but bought a mix 12 from the grocery store. Absolutely nothing special.

I was in the Sebago Lake area. Try Sebago brew pub. But definitely go to Allagash, a must! across the street is Maine brewery, they were closed when I was there but apparently they are known for hoppy beers. Shipyard brewery is in the old district of Portland.

Portsmouth is in New Hampshire and is about a 30 min drive south of Kennebunkport. Portsmouth is a fun little town.

Hit Gary's Beverage 165 Deer Street
Portsmouth, New Hampshire United States 03801

for some bottle purchases for the hotel.

Old
08-14-2012, 11:50 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
I didn't go to Gritty's but bought a mix 12 from the grocery store. Absolutely nothing special.

I was in the Sebago Lake area. Try Sebago brew pub. But definitely go to Allagash, a must! across the street is Maine brewery, they were closed when I was there but apparently they are known for hoppy beers. Shipyard brewery is in the old district of Portland.

Portsmouth is in New Hampshire and is about a 30 min drive south of Kennebunkport. Portsmouth is a fun little town.

Hit Gary's Beverage 165 Deer Street
Portsmouth, New Hampshire United States 03801

for some bottle purchases for the hotel.
Yeah I went to Sebago last year, enjoyed the few beers that I tried. Also went to Shipyard last year, will likely only go back if they got something new in their signature series to buy otherwise I'll likely hit Sebago and Gritty McDuffs.

Allagash for sure is a must and Geary's if they are open. Is Seadog worthwhile?

Old
08-14-2012, 12:21 PM
cfrancis

I don't know Seadog. We didn't move around a lot.

I kind of bought a ton of beer, sat at the cottage and drank. Bought some more beer and brought it home with me so that I can sit on my couch *hopefully* during a hockey season and drink.

Old
08-14-2012, 07:31 PM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

vCash: 133
Our sobeys liquor store sells 1.99 singles of random beers which I like to try sometimes. Today it was Bud Light lime and Newcastle Brown. I didn't expect BL Lime to be good - and it wasn't. It was incredibly weak tasting for 4%, and the lime flavour, despite being advertised as "natural", tasted extremely artificial. Newcastle Brown Ale was better; it had a sweet smell when I first popped the lid that reminded me immediately of Innis & Gunn. It was a bit bitter in my mouth, but it went down easily with no aftertaste. I don't think I'd buy a 6 pack of either beer in the future, but I'm glad I know what they taste like now.

Gentle Jake Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:56 PM
BleedOil83

Innis & Gunn just released a special edition Scottish Pale Ale - purple label. Delicious if you can get your hands on it. I haven't looked that hard because I just bought the entire case at a friend's liquor store.

BleedOil83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 02:09 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Any of you ever tried Sweetwater 420 IPA?

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote