HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Garrison, Malhotra and Fin march in Pride Parade

Closed Thread

Old
08-07-2012, 08:54 PM
ProstheticConscience
Seeing is believing

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I find the pride parade pretty obnoxious myself, but good on them for the support.
Pretty much this. Managed to keep my streak of not being downtown for the Pride Parade going, but yeah, good for Manny, Mr. Garrison and the poor ******* in the whale suit.

Old
08-07-2012, 08:57 PM
ziploc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lui View Post
Do you find the St. Patrick's Day Parade equally obnoxious?
St. Patrick's Day Parade is a little more flamboyant, it's true, but I find them both equally annoying myself.

Old
08-07-2012, 09:14 PM
Henrik To Daniel

fin is the best mascot in the NHL AINEC

Old
08-07-2012, 09:28 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
St. Patrick's Day Parade is a little more flamboyant, it's true, but I find them both equally annoying myself.
Well I hope you don't find a Stanley Cup Parade too flamboyant in the near future hopefully.

Old
08-07-2012, 09:33 PM
aandbreatheme

Last year me and my family were out and came across one of these bombastic pride parades and my grandmother (who was visiting the country for the first time) quickly became uneasy.

Old
08-07-2012, 09:35 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Well I hope you don't find a Stanley Cup Parade too flamboyant in the near future hopefully.
We will have the most flamboyant, sexual, parade in history if it ever happens. Gay pride parade times 1000.

And I think this is great for our team to come out and get involved in the community. Hate those little tight undies though.

Old
08-07-2012, 09:49 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lui View Post
Do you find the St. Patrick's Day Parade equally obnoxious?
I actually have never paid attention to the St. Patrick's Day Parade, but if it's anything like the Gay Pride Parade, then yes, I imagine I would.

I'm pro-gay, but once again, say anything negative about something associated to a controversial issue and suddenly people jump right to the assumption that you're being judgmental or picking sides.

If these guys were all straight, I would feel the same way about the parade. These kinds of events actually make me feel bad for the down-to-earth, grounded gays.

I imagine it would be like if you were Italian and there was an Italian pride parade where for whatever reason most of the people who showed up (who got coverage/media-exposure anyways) happened to be obnoxious wannabe tough-guy or something. It's the personality of the select guys who happen act like attention-***** at these things that are obnoxious to me, not the fact that they're homosexuals.

Feels like a double standard to me that it's treated like taboo to think that.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 08-07-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old
08-07-2012, 09:51 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by andbreatheme View Post
Last year me and my family were out and came across one of these bombastic pride parades and my grandmother (who was visiting the country for the first time) quickly became uneasy.
My grandma is old school like that too, but she's coming around.

Old
08-07-2012, 09:52 PM
The Gourmet
Potage Le Magnifique

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
We will have the most flamboyant, sexual, parade in history if it ever happens. Gay pride parade times 1000.

And I think this is great for our team to come out and get involved in the community. Hate those little tight undies though.
It'll just be a giant orgy.

Old
08-07-2012, 09:58 PM
ziploc

Quote:
That is a parade I will attend.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:02 PM
Timmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
My grandma is old school like that too, but she's coming around.
We were sitting around a table at Christmas a long time ago, and my grandmother was talking about what their neighbours were up to.

She said most of them were doing okay, except for neighbour X, whose son "decided to turn gay."

Turkey, wine, and snot flew across the table like criss-crossing streamers at a boat launch.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:07 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
We were sitting around a table at Christmas a long time ago, and my grandmother was talking about what their neighbours were up to.

She said most of them were doing okay, except for neighbour X, whose son "decided to turn gay."

Turkey, wine, and snot flew across the table like criss-crossing streamers at a boat launch.
My friends grandmother has fox news on 24/7 and she was like ''and the gays here want to get married can you believe that'' and I was like well they already do get married here. She did not believe me. She also thinks obama is ruining the country and Im like what country? What country are you in right now old woman.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Feels like a double standard to me that it's treated like taboo to think that.
I think it's great they are expressing themselves without threatening or oppressing anyone. Which is more than what I can say for the pieces of **** who think that being homosexual is a lifestyle choice. No malice to you, I read what you had to say and I agree for the most part. My thinking is that if we are going to have a Stanley Cup Parade, City Pride Parades, why not Gay Pride Parades? Hell, do a Black Power Parade for all I care. Freedom of speech is a sweet thing.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:18 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
I think it's great they are expressing themselves without threatening or oppressing anyone. Which is more than what I can say for the pieces of **** who think that being homosexual is a lifestyle choice. No malice to you, I read what you had to say and I agree for the most part. My thinking is that if we are going to have a Stanley Cup Parade, City Pride Parades, why not Gay Pride Parades? Hell, do a Black Power Parade for all I care. Freedom of speech is a sweet thing.
This might take some heat, but I personally think that the small portion of overly proud gays who overcompensate kind of ruin the reputation of all of the other many otherwise likeable gay guys who can be proud without making a big thing out of it.

I just find excessive pride annoying in any form.

I don't think it's racist against white people to think that the way stereotypical rednecks who are against these things act is despicable, either, you know what I mean?

Last edited by Shareefruck: 08-07-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old
08-07-2012, 10:25 PM
*Injektilo

Quote:
How is Thomas doing that again? By making facebook posts? That's forcing now? Even if we don't agree with his opinions, he has the right to both hold them and express them. People have the right to disagree with him and express their disagreement, but not to suppress him. I'm glad, for instance, that the Pride Parade has the right to express a view. People should appreciate and defend that right, even if they disagree with the view being espoused.
My criticism of TT is more regarding his refusal to respond to media questions about his FB posts. He can't make these statements in a public setting, and then tell reporters that his thoughts and opinions are private.

As for opinions in general, I think that any viewpoint that is hateful towards a minority group, or is attempting to deprive someone from having an equal right, should be met with widespread scorn.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:27 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Injektilo View Post
My criticism of TT is more regarding his refusal to respond to media questions about his FB posts. He can't make these statements in a public setting, and then tell reporters that his thoughts and opinions are private.

As for opinions in general, I think that any viewpoint that is hateful towards a minority group, or is attempting to deprive someone from having an equal right, should be met with widespread scorn.
Yes, I agree. Honestly, what's wrong with having negative opinions about people's opinions?

Old
08-07-2012, 10:32 PM
ziploc

Quote:
Yes, I agree. Honestly, what's wrong with having negative opinions about people's opinions?
Nothing. Nobody is arguing otherwise, so far as I can tell. You can criticise him all you like. But he has the right to say it. Also has the right to clam up and not talk about it in a hockey context if he wants. Nobody has to like it, but he has the right to express an opinion. And there is nothing wrong or inherently hateful about people disagreeing with an opinion either.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Nothing. Nobody is arguing otherwise, so far as I can tell. You can criticise him all you like. But he has the right to say it. Also has the right to clam up and not talk about it in a hockey context if he wants. Nobody has to like it, but he has the right to express an opinion. And there is nothing wrong or inherently hateful about people disagreeing with an opinion either.
Yep.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:36 PM
express

I can see how people would find it annoying, it's quite a disruption to the everyday routine. People like to be comfortable.

That said, it's a day a year. Let them have their fun, it's a good thing. Good on Manny and Garrison for supporting!

Old
08-07-2012, 10:37 PM
ziploc

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Injektilo View Post

Yes he can, if he wants. Facebook is facebook, questions in a hockey dressing room are something else. He doesn't have to talk if he doesn't want to. Of course, we have every right to heap scorn on him if we like for an expressed opinion or a refusal to express an opinion. Though I am usually careful not to assume automatically that people I disagree with must be hate-filled. That term gets thrown around a little too much, IMO.

Anyways, I am more than happy, and it seems that the Canucks are (very wisely) more than happy for fans of all and every background to cheer them on.

Old
08-07-2012, 11:01 PM
ProstheticConscience
Seeing is believing

vCash: 883
Quote:
Yes he can, if he wants. Facebook is facebook, questions in a hockey dressing room are something else. He doesn't have to talk if he doesn't want to. Of course, we have every right to heap scorn on him if we like for an expressed opinion or a refusal to express an opinion. Though I am usually careful not to assume automatically that people I disagree with must be hate-filled. That term gets thrown around a little too much, IMO.

Anyways, I am more than happy, and it seems that the Canucks are (very wisely) more than happy for fans of all and every background to cheer them on.
Well, c'mon. Teabag Timmy could've just as easily adjusted his privacy settings on facebook, talked to his team and the GM and never gone the least bit public with anything at all. He chose to make the public flap he did. Got no sympathy for the ill will going his way.

-------------------

And the St. Patrick's Day Parade is awesome. Never miss it. Gay Pride Parade? It's just too much concentrated gayness in one place for me to want to be down there to see it. This is probably related to my being Irish and straight.

Old
08-07-2012, 11:03 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

This is getting way too political and such.