HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Around the NHL VII - NHL Hockey Returns!

Closed Thread

Old
08-07-2012, 11:05 PM
Zman5778

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Jeff Skinner just got PAID.

6 years, $5.725 mil AAV.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

Quote:
Jeff Skinner's extension with CAR expected to be 6 years with an AAV of $5.725M.

Old
08-07-2012, 11:12 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
Jeff Skinner just got PAID.

6 years, $5.725 mil AAV.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie
It still buys 2 years of UFA, which drives it up. But that's still high...

08-08-2012, 02:36 AM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
I'm not really impressed with the Canes going into next year, honestly.

Old
08-08-2012, 07:54 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post
They'll contend better for the SE, certainly. Doesn't mean they're contenders, at least not yet, but it could put them into the division race and if failing that, they're another one of the umpteen bubble teams in the East.

Old
08-08-2012, 08:47 AM
HiddenInLight

Interesting find on twitter...sorry I can't post a link to it, but Jason Kay of THN @JKTHN reports:

Site plan application for second NHL-sized arena in Toronto Area being submitted this Wednesday. Could lead to building permits by the fall.

Sounds like somebody would like to try to bring PHX (or at least another NHL team) to Toronto.

Old
08-08-2012, 08:48 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Interesting find on twitter...sorry I can't post a link to it, but Jason Kay of THN @JKTHN reports:

Site plan application for second NHL-sized arena in Toronto Area being submitted this Wednesday. Could lead to building permits by the fall.

Sounds like somebody would like to try to bring PHX (or at least another NHL team) to Toronto.
Is that the one in Markham?

Old
08-08-2012, 08:58 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Is that the one in Markham?
Not sure, I retyped word for word the tweet I read...don't know anything else about it as of yet.

Old
08-08-2012, 09:04 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Not sure, I retyped word for word the tweet I read...don't know anything else about it as of yet.
There is a comprehensive BoH thread detailing the proposed second GTA arena (placed in the Markham area) here: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1178403

Old
08-08-2012, 09:09 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
I think Sabres fans tend to have an irrational opinion of Carolina... they'll never forget 06

Staal, Staal, Skinner, Semin, Ruutu, Jokinen.... is a good mix of skill, size, and 2 way play for a top 6... incredible depth at center

Tim Gleason is the most underrated defensemen this side of Andrej Sekera...

Pitkanen, Faulk, Harrison isn't a shabby group of dmen... and Ryan Murphy could definitely jump to the NHL this year...

Dwyer, Tlusty, Larose provide depth/energy

Ward is as good as any other goaltender with a good team around him...

Carolina is in better shape THIS season, than Buffalo is

Old
08-08-2012, 09:25 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Their top six is very good, but I don't think their bottom six is good (c'mon, Tlusty/Dweyer/Larose are fine when one of them is on a roster, but for them to be a third line...?) and their defense is still below average, especially defensively. Gleason is their only top four defensive defenseman. Harrison is a steady, but bottom pairing guy, Corvo blows, Faulk/Pitkanen are average or below in their own end and Murphy graduating wouldn't help that either.

What'll be interesting is if they continue to stack their first two lines for a whole season or go back to what they were doing for the past two years, with Staal-Skinner/Jokinen-Sutter and slot Staal in on the "third" line.

It's way easier to get a #4 defensive defenseman between now and the deadline than fill Buffalo's holes at center, so yeah, they're definitely in better shape for now, but they haven't risen above bubble team status yet either.

Old
08-08-2012, 09:43 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Their top six is very good, but I don't think their bottom six is good (c'mon, Tlusty/Dweyer/Larose are fine when one of them is on a roster, but for them to be a third line...?) and their defense is still below average, especially defensively. Gleason is their only top four defensive defenseman. Harrison is a steady, but bottom pairing guy, Corvo blows, Faulk/Pitkanen are average or below in their own end and Murphy graduating wouldn't help that either.

What'll be interesting is if they continue to stack their first two lines for a whole season or go back to what they were doing for the past two years, with Staal-Skinner/Jokinen-Sutter and slot Staal in on the "third" line.

It's way easier to get a #4 defensive defenseman between now and the deadline than fill Buffalo's holes at center, so yeah, they're definitely in better shape for now, but they haven't risen above bubble team status yet either.
(don't underrate Tlusty and Dywer)

yes, their defense has holes... but... i think Pitkanen is better then you suggest. and I think Faulk is just scratching the surface...

I forgot to mention Welsh...
I think Dwyer is a darn good shut down winger (better then Gerbe/Kaleta)

they could stack 2 lines....

Semin-Staal-Staal
Jokinen-Skinner-Ruutu
Dwyer-Welsh-Tlusty
Nodl-Brent-Larose

or run 3 lines deep

Semin-Staal-Tlusty
Jokinen-Skinner-Ruutu
Dwyer-Staal-Larose
Brent-Welsh-Nodl

Old
08-08-2012, 09:45 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Faulk's an awesome and underrated kid at this point. I'm also a big fan of McBain -- guy is a jack-of-all-trades sort.

Old
08-08-2012, 09:48 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Faulk's an awesome and underrated kid at this point. I'm also a big fan of McBain -- guy is a jack-of-all-trades sort.
yea, McBain is their Sekera...

Old
08-08-2012, 10:41 AM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I think Sabres fans tend to have an irrational opinion of Carolina... they'll never forget 06

Staal, Staal, Skinner, Semin, Ruutu, Jokinen.... is a good mix of skill, size, and 2 way play for a top 6... incredible depth at center

Pitkanen, Faulk, Harrison isn't a shabby group of dmen... and Ryan Murphy could definitely jump to the NHL this year...

Their top 6 is excellent. Bottom 6 is average. Their defense is indeed bad to terrible. Their goaltender is an NHL goaltender.

6-12 finish.

Old
08-08-2012, 10:47 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Minus the whole "turning into a relevant defensive defenseman" part? I'll give you Faulk though, he played harder minutes than I initially gave him credit for.

I'm interested to see how losing Allen affects that defense. He played some tough minutes last season...

Old
08-08-2012, 10:56 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:

Their forward group is above average, their D is below average, their goalie is inconsistent. The division is pretty much up for grabs as there isn't an 'elite' team there anymore. I really don't like any team in the Southeast to make any noise.

There will probably be a 3 seed and a 7-8 seed

If I had to compare them to Buffalo:

Forwards: The proven center depth is greater than Buffalo's. Buffalo is probably a bit more skilled on the wings. But, given Buffalo doesn't have any centers even close to the proven production of the Staal-Staal-Skinner trio, big edge to Carolina

Defense: Buffalo's is just better. Gleason is a great 2nd pairing. But he's the #1 down there. Pitkanen is a good puck mover but very one dimensional. Also he isn't a guy who is going to win any wars. They have some young guys with potential, however, I just don't see it gelling enough

Goaltending: Ward can certainly get hotter than Miller can, but Miller over the course of a season is just more consistent.

The big advantage that both teams have is that they don't have to play in the Atlantic. Boston, if Horton is healthy and Seguin continues to move forward, is the best team in either division. Both teams will probably be contending for the last 3 spots in the east (If you assume that the top 5 will be Boston, Philly, Pittsburgh, NYR, and whoever wins the SE). Carolina could probably contend for the SE title.

I think the inexperience and softness on D is going to cause problems for Carolina. Plenty of similar caliber teams in their division. Right now they project out to be a bubble team.

Old
08-08-2012, 10:57 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Their top 6 is excellent. Bottom 6 is average. Their defense is indeed bad to terrible. Their goaltender is an NHL goaltender.

6-12 finish.
Last season they were 12th in the East offensive;ly, 11th in the East defensively, and 12th in the East with a -30 GD.

Obviously the Jordan Staal trade was their big move of the off-season. But, will that be enough to make a huge difference next season? I think their lack of depth will bite them in the end.

Old
08-08-2012, 11:01 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Everytime we play the Canes I involuntarily say his name with McBain's voice from the Simpsons. I need to see someone about that.

As for Skinner's deal, not quite sure why they felt the need to go big right now. Was an offersheet looming?

Old
08-08-2012, 11:02 AM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

Skinner still has a year left on ELC, so who knows?

Old
08-08-2012, 11:03 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Skinner still has a year left on ELC, so who knows?
Then it makes even less sense.

Old
08-08-2012, 11:04 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
As for Skinner's deal, not quite sure why they felt the need to go big right now. Was an offersheet looming?
Perhaps they wanted to lock him in to the 6 year deal before the CBA deal gets done with potential contract length limits making that long of a deal not an option.

Old
08-08-2012, 11:31 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Everytime we play the Canes I involuntarily say his name with McBain's voice from the Simpsons. I need to see someone about that.

Didn't the Sabres do the same with Pominville?

(is 2nd vs 3rd contract really make that much of a difference?)

Old
08-08-2012, 11:49 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Didn't the Sabres do the same with Pominville?

(is 2nd vs 3rd contract really make that much of a difference?)
No. His 2nd contract was 3 years $3.1M.

Old
08-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
No. His 2nd contract was 3 years $3.1M.
i meant to quote this :

Quote:
Then it makes even less sense.
i was quoting the fact that they extended him (poms) long term with 1 yr remaining on his deal, and JJ commenting that that same scenario made the extension "make even less sense"... does the same logic apply to the pommer extension?

Pominviller was given a 5 year extension, with 1 full year remaining on his deal while he would still be a RFA (just like Skinner)

in that sense, i don't think the difference between it being his 2nd/3rd contract makes a difference

Old
08-08-2012, 12:19 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
i meant to quote this :

i was quoting the fact that they extended him (poms) long term with 1 yr remaining on his deal, and JJ commenting that that same scenario made the extension "make even less sense"... does the same logic apply to the pommer extension?

Pominviller was given a 5 year extension, with 1 full year remaining on his deal while he would still be a RFA (just like Skinner)

in that sense, i don't think the difference between it being his 2nd/3rd contract makes a difference
Hard to find the info, but I believe Pominville was going to be UFA at the end of his 3-year $3.1M contract. So they bought 5 years of UFA with Pominville, with 1 year left on his second contract.

So I don't see the parallels with Skinner at all.

Closed Thread