HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Biggest Worry/Fear/Question Mark heading into new season?

Old
08-07-2012, 06:40 PM
McMonster

vCash: 500
Marian Gaborik's impact when he returns. After Jagr had shoulder surgery it was obvious he wasn't the same player anymore and I'm worried it will have the same effect on Gabby.

Not so much worried about WHEN he returns, the more important thing is how he plays when he comes back.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 07:15 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
Just health in general.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:05 PM
smoneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Funny you say that. Dubi was hurt for much of the playoffs and the other three weren't good at all in the playoffs which is probably why they were deemed expendable. The contributed yes; but very little.
Re-write history all you want. Without Dubinsky, the Rangers are eliminated in the first round. My biggest worry is whether or not Nash will be able to buy in to the Rangers style. If he does, it will be huge. If he can't, then that trade could see us taking multiple steps back. I'm pulling for the former, but it will require Nash to check his ego at the door (he's coming from a team where he was the automatic captain for years and was allowed to slack/dictate a lighter level of intensity in training. He's coming to a team where he won't even sniff a letter--at best he'd be 4th in line for one after Cally, Staal, Richards and Girardi--and he's going to be expected to play at a level of intensity that he really hasn't seen in years). He's saying all the right things, but I have nightmares about what will happen if he doesn't DO all the right things.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:13 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
Re-write history all you want. Without Dubinsky, the Rangers are eliminated in the first round. My biggest worry is whether or not Nash will be able to buy in to the Rangers style. If he does, it will be huge. If he can't, then that trade could see us taking multiple steps back. I'm pulling for the former, but it will require Nash to check his ego at the door (he's coming from a team where he was the automatic captain for years and was allowed to slack/dictate a lighter level of intensity in training. He's coming to a team where he won't even sniff a letter--at best he'd be 4th in line for one after Cally, Staal, Richards and Girardi--and he's going to be expected to play at a level of intensity that he really hasn't seen in years). He's saying all the right things, but I have nightmares about what will happen if he doesn't DO all the right things.
love dubi but what exactly did he do in the ottawa series that we couldn't have won without him?

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:17 PM
Oak
Hockey fan

vCash: 50
Haha to follow up another post I just made...

My biggest fear is Boyle will be our 3rd line center.

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:20 PM
smoneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
love dubi but what exactly did he do in the ottawa series that we couldn't have won without him?
He started the play that led to the only goal in game 3, and he had the primary assist (while injured) on the GWG in game 7. He had a bad season and it wasn't even his best playoffs, but without those two plays, Ottawa wins that series.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:37 PM
Lundsanity30

I'm actually very satisfied with our team at the moment and think we are going to be a force to be reckoned with this year.

Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:39 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

full team health is def the biggest concern any season. wrong guy gets a lengthy injury and it completely wastes a year (be it henrik or a top 2 center, or nash before gabby is back). then there's the concern of gaborik's shoulder being 100 percent, sauer and mcilrath being healthy for that bottom pairing spot mid-season.

aside from health i'd say it's a 3rd line center. 3rd line center imo is more important than 3rd pairing d, which is the next biggest issue. then there's the chance that the pp stays terrible despite adding nash and we just got rid of several of our strong defensive players. (dubi, fedotenko, prust, anisimov)

can't stress enough how much health is a concern to me though. 1 of our top 4 defensemen is critical. girardi is season-breaking. stepan or richards is season-breaking. nash would be season-breaking. lundqvist would be season-breaking. 1 injury could bring us from hands down the best team in the league to fighting for 8th, but i guess that's the same for every team and not really something that we can adjust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
he took the game misconduct in place of somebody useful.

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 11:40 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
He started the play that led to the only goal in game 3, and he had the primary assist (while injured) on the GWG in game 7. He had a bad season and it wasn't even his best playoffs, but without those two plays, Ottawa wins that series.
i'll give you the assist on the girardi goal in game 7 but thats kind of grasping for straws on game 3. dubi did a good job taking a hit to get the puck deep but he gave it right to the sens dman, nothing happens on the play if cally doesn't swoop in steal the puck, beat 2 sens along the boards to get the puck back to girardi

i'd like to hope we can replace dubi's 1 assist in 7 games

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 09:54 AM
True Blue

I think that one can make a case that a big fear is how the locker room is affected. Losing Prust and Dubinsky, takes away from some of the core. They were disciples of Torts. The team played exactly how he wanted. Anyone that did not was weeded out.

It remains to be seen how Nash will take to him. Torts had no problem benching Gaborik and Richards. Nash has not faced something like hat.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 10:40 AM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

I'm concerned that last year was a lucky year, I don't want to say fluke, but we were pretty lucky, with Crosby out the whole year almost, and other intangibles. Not to mentions the playoffs, where we came back in the 1st round, scored in a 3OT game, tied a game with 6.6 seconds to go, and scored within the first 5 mins of OT. I'm hoping this wasn't a flash in the pan, and they can be consistent this year again. By this, I mean we will make the playoffs, but if the SCF is the expectation by many fans and media, and anything less is failure, I think a lot of people are in for a heart break.

nyrpassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Baby Punisher

Injuries, loss of man games.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 04:41 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck